• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragner

First game played in three days. Golden face Hunter in casual.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Edit: 5/6 games against Hunter, but yeah there's nothing wrong with the meta right?

Dont play Casual. Matchmaking in casual doesnt work well. I go into there to do my dailies with fully powered decks with classes Im not that confortable and sometimes Im paired with people with mostly basic cards. It hurts to obliterate them and usually I add them to apologize after the match because I know it can be discouraging to have someone curve you out sylvanas into dr boom into ragnaros.

Just had a Paladin top deck equality against me as I dropped Malygos on the board against a 1-1.

So I thought fuck it and unloaded two lava bursts and two crackles next turn anyway for the exact 22 damage I needed and won.

Hearthstone.

sounds like you were going to win either way

E-phonk

Banned
Just got a tablet this weekend and this was one of the first things I installed, as I loved playing Magic in the mid 90's.

I'M HOOKED

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Guys

Gals

His laugh is even better in person

And I got to tell him how HS helped me get my job at Blizzard, he was touched by my story

So amazing
:0

Dude always look so happy to be working on HS.
<3 HA HA HA HA HA! <3

G.ZZZ

I'm playin a giant paladin control with holy wrath, just wona game against mill druid with a Holy wrath for 20 to the face
DkX4mDw.gif

This deck's so bad but so fun
laugh.gif

Special C

My Arena winrates are a little crazy compared to what most people experience. Warrior is higher than Mage!

Priest 63.9%
Druid 63.6%
Warlock 61.8%
Paladin 61.5%
Warrior 53.8%
Mage 52.6%
Shaman 50.0%
Rogue 49.2%
Hunter 48.3%

Overall: 57.3%

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I finally created a 2nd Goblin Blastmage. I'll post what I've settled on for now in terms of a deck later. Thanks for all of your help in tweaking my deck over the past week though GAF!

Meta seems to have hit a hard shift all of a sudden in NA... Went from mostly playing aggro decks (face hunter, mech mage, aggro pally) to mid game and control decks (priest, mid game pally, even zoo!).

Too lazy to dust off/update my ramp druid so I think I'll just sit out a day or two and see if we come back around full circle.

squidyj

Man I don't know. I go up against this paladin, and he's always playing around exactly the card I have. I topdeck a mirror entity and I play it and a minion and he doesn't hesitate to kill the belcher before dropping the little charge murloc. The very next turn I drop a minion and duplicate and he avoids it like the plague.

Haunted

I can't believe how much trouble Trump has climbing the ladder this season. Getting negative winrates in a day around rank 10/11.

What is happening on the ladder?

edit: I'm 1-6 today, trying to complete my daily (5 wins with Warlock and Shaman). :(

edit²: ok, 1-8, went from rank 11 to 13, no idea what's going on. mountains of salt.

embalm

@Haunted
Didn't Trump hit Rank 1 this weekend?

If mid-range pally catches on I could see control decks rising to power and slowing things down. I mean it's always a cycle of things slowing down until face hunter crushes the slow decks and we start all over.

Haunted

@Haunted
Didn't Trump hit Rank 1 this weekend?

If mid-range pally catches on I could see control decks rising to power and slowing things down. I mean it's always a cycle of things slowing down until face hunter crushes the slow decks and we start all over.
That's totally possible. I'm usually watching the YT videos (and not immediately as they come out), so I'm probably a week or two behind.

Point is, he did have some trouble during the climb. More so than usual, at least.

G.ZZZ

Playing my giantodin, i have Tirion and KT down, he has ragnaros. I got redemption secret. He savage roar + force of nature, kill my tirion once, then twice, then ragnaros kill my KT but KT still spawn 2 tirions.
He instaconcede and i laugh to death
laugh.gif

Playing my giantodin, i have Tirion and KT down, he has ragnaros. I got redemption secret. He savage roar + force of nature, kill my tirion once, then twice, then ragnaros kill my KT but KT still spawn 2 tirions.
He instaconcede and i laugh to death
laugh.gif

They still haven't fixed the Ragnaros\KT bug?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't believe how much trouble Trump has climbing the ladder this season. Getting negative winrates in a day around rank 10/11.

What is happening on the ladder?

edit: I'm 1-6 today, trying to complete my daily (5 wins with Warlock and Shaman). :(

edit²: ok, 1-8, went from rank 11 to 13, no idea what's going on. mountains of salt.
He was at Rank 1 Legend yesterday so I assume you're seeing his EU account.

Heropon

I've been doing relatively well with this deck and the other day I got a golden Antique Healbot so I want to ask if it can be a good addition or having more healing is just going to delay the inevitable and Lay on Hands is enough.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've been doing relatively well with this deck and the other day I got a golden Antique Healbot so I want to ask if it can be a good addition or having more healing is just going to delay the inevitable and Lay on Hands is enough.

Gnomeregan Infantry and Stoneskin Gargoyle?

Don't even.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Are you dying while still having full board control? Then add a Healbot, otherwise don't. It's not a good card to simply play into a losing situation.

Heropon

Gnomeregan Infantry and Stoneskin Gargoyle?

Don't even.

What's so bad about them?

Even if I haven't done something important with Stoneskin Gargoyle yet, I've seen opponents do stupid things just to remove it, so I've left it there. And it goes well with the buffs.

Are you dying while still having full board control? Then add a Healbot, otherwise don't. It's not a good card to simply play into a losing situation.

Not really, so I suppose that answers my question, thanks!

embalm

What's so bad about them?

Even if I haven't done something important with Stoneskin Gargoyle yet, I've seen opponents do stupid things just to remove it, so I've left it there. And it goes well with the buffs.
There is one major problem with running minions that have 1/4 stats and it's that they are usually don't kill things when trading off. It gives your opponent the chance to 2 for 1 you with a card. So while your opponent is not going out of their way to remove those cards, it's possibly because they don't need too or they aren't threats without a buff.

1/4 stats are also what you would expect to see on a 2 drop, but Gnomer and Gargoyle are 3 drops, which means your opponent gets even more value when killing them with their 1 or 2 drops.

Those are cards that can put you behind very easily and leave you scratching your head wondering how your opponent has the board, has card advantage, and has more health.

Edit:
I thought I would mention a good 1/4 minion. The Warlock card Mistress of Pain is a 2 cost 1/4 that heals the Hero equal to damage she deals. So she has a below average stat line, but face healing is very important for Warlocks. She is ran with power overwhelming, Abusive Sarg, and Defender of Argus to pump up the stats to more usable levels. Also note that she is not an auto-include, you need the support cards to make her play well.

Heropon

There is one major problem with running minions that have 1/4 stats and it's that they are usually don't kill things when trading off. It gives your opponent the chance to 2 for 1 you with a card. So while your opponent is not going out of their way to remove those cards, it's possibly because they don't need too or they aren't threats without a buff.

1/4 stats are also what you would expect to see on a 2 drop, but Gnomer and Gargoyle are 3 drops, which means your opponent gets even more value when killing them with their 1 or 2 drops.

Those are cards that can put you behind very easily and leave you scratching your head wondering how your opponent has the board, has card advantage, and has more health.

Edit:
I thought I would mention a good 1/4 minion. The Warlock card Mistress of Pain is a 2 cost 1/4 that heals the Hero equal to damage she deals. So she has a below average stat line, but face healing is very important for Warlocks. She is ran with power overwhelming, Abusive Sarg, and Defender of Argus to pump up the stats to more usable levels. Also note that she is not an auto-include, you need the support cards to make her play well.

Thanks. I'll swap them for other minions then. I'm considering Mind Control Tech, Shade of Naxxramas, Earthen Ring Farseer, Razorfen Hunter or Injured Blademaster.

I think MCT is good if things go out of control but I don't really know if I like its randomness.

Thanks. I'll swap them for other minions then. I'm considering Mind Control Tech, Shade of Naxxramas, Earthen Ring Farseer, Razorfen Hunter or Injured Blademaster.

I think MCT is good if things go out of control but I don't really know if I like its randomness.

Injured Blademaster isn't particularly useful to Paladins. You're only running one healing card, and that costs 8 mana, so you're not likely to ever heal him up to 7 health meaning he's just a 4/3. There's a reason you really only see them in Priest decks. At least Earthen Ring Farseer can heal you or other minions and Mind Control Tech can swing the board if you're behind. Razorfen Hunter isn't great.

embalm

MC Tech is OK for it's stats if you have to just play it onto the board. Randomly taking an enemy unit, puts the card in the crazy powerful territory. It almost doesn't matter what it grabs, even taking a 1/1 makes it better than almost any other 3 mana play. The problem is that you won't always be able to take something, but right now it's a pretty good card to squeeze into any deck. So I would only run a single copy and be prepared to hold on to it for a few rounds.

Shade of Nax is great for any deck that has buff cards or benefits from having a body on the board. If you can hold it back for a turn or two before attacking with it even better.

Earthen Ring is a good card if you need efficient healing. It's used in Rogue a lot because they spend a lot of time hitting things with that tiny dagger and so any hp recovery means a lot.

Razorfen is a fairly weak card for the same reason the 1/4s are. It gives your opponent the chance to make favorable trades.

Injured Blademaster is a great card if you have access to healing. It's a good card stat wise, but can be great in healing combos. It's a staple in most priest decks.

For the deck you listed, I would suggest another Shielded Mini bot as their great targets for buff cards.

If you're looking for a 3 drop specifically try these
Raging Worgen - When damaged it gains windfury and bonus damage, so buffing him up turns him into a game winning minion.
Scarlet Crusader - The Divine shield usually allows her to live that extra round so you can get your buff on her or allow her to trade into an enemy.

Heropon

For the deck you listed, I would suggest another Shielded Mini bot as their great targets for buff cards.

If you're looking for a 3 drop specifically try these
Raging Worgen - When damaged it gains windfury and bonus damage, so buffing him up turns him into a game winning minion.
Scarlet Crusader - The Divine shield usually allows her to live that extra round so you can get your buff on her or allow her to trade into an enemy.

I only have that Shielded Minibot so that's why I only have one, but I have a Raging Worgen around so I'll definitely use it.

Playing control paladin vs midrange hunter is a blast from the past, except it is 10x easier now that they can't draw a bazillion cards off buzz/UTH combo. But even back then I felt control paladin was favored, despite a lot of people claiming paladin was dead.

collage.png

Also, this one was running rag. Highmane turn 6, highmane turn 7, ragnaros turn 8... = REKT HARD

Yes. I've gone back to look at everyone's fan made cards a few pages back just to sate my new card cravings.
Ah this rate we'll probably only get a few every Tuesday. Only three weeks away so it's not too terribly long.

Not sure how long you've played Blizzard games, but you should get used to the term SoonTM.

iirate

My Arena winrates are a little crazy compared to what most people experience. Warrior is higher than Mage!

Priest 63.9%
Druid 63.6%
Warlock 61.8%
Paladin 61.5%
Warrior 53.8%
Mage 52.6%
Shaman 50.0%
Rogue 49.2%
Hunter 48.3%

Overall: 57.3%

Mine are a little more normal, but my paladin win rate feels really low, considering it was my best arena class pre-Naxx(I didn't start playing HS again and logging arenas until after the GvG launch). Still, I've only logged 34 runs since I started recording my arena stats.

mage: 66.96%
priest: 65.85%
hunter: 59.82%
druid: 57.69%
rogue: 47.62%
paladin: 45.92%
shaman: 31.43%
warlock: 16.67%
warrior: NA

Overall: 56.95%

I don't have any runs logged with Warrior yet, and the sample size for rogue and warlock are still very tiny(10 and 3 games, respectively). My overall win rate as mage is the highest, but I feel like priest is my most consistent class in arena. My mage runs tend to be 10+ or 2-3, and I feel like I go 7+ with priest more consistently.

Apparently I'm much better with the coin than without - my win rate shoots up to 62.83% if I go second.

Every run that I try to play shaman goes terribly, which is ironic, considering that I've mained shaman in wow for 9 years now.

gutshot

Are we posting our arena stats now? Here is my HearthArena profile: http://www.heartharena.com/profile/gutshot

Shaman: 70.0%
Mage: 69.23%
Druid: 67.65%
Priest: 65.85%
Paladin: 65.0%
Warlock: 62.5%
Warrior: 62.5%
Rogue: 60.0%
Hunter: 50.0%

Overall: 64.8%

This has all been since around when GvG launched. If you take into account my pre-GvG arena runs, it would bring everything down.

Just beat a Zoolock with Randuin Wrynn. Funniest game I have ever played.

Highlights:
- Getting Dr Balance from a Mindgames
- Getting a Weblord from a Shredder so he couldn't play his Dr Balance
- Getting a Pit Lord from a Piloted Sky Golem
- Mad Bomber killing his Swamp Ooze AND his Damaged Harvest Golem. Best bomber ever.
- Playing double Shadowboxer and then he used Healbot on himself, which killed his Flame Imp.
- In the end, he got so mad he double Hellfired and tapped to kill himself.

I wish I'd recorded it.

The sad part is, I probably used like three months worth of RNG on that game.

iirate

Are we posting our arena stats now? Here is my HearthArena profile: http://www.heartharena.com/profile/gutshot

Shaman: 70.0%
Mage: 69.23%
Druid: 67.65%
Priest: 65.85%
Paladin: 65.0%
Warlock: 62.5%
Warrior: 62.5%
Rogue: 60.0%
Hunter: 50.0%

Overall: 64.8%

This has all been since around when GvG launched. If you take into account my pre-GvG arena runs, it would bring everything down.

I guess I can just post mine too! http://www.heartharena.com/profile/etiira

If my pre-GvG stuff was counted, my stats would definitely be higher, but the competition wasn't nearly as steep during closed beta. =P

So, any shaman arena tips? I feel like I need a godly draft to even break even as one right now, which obviously means there's something very wrong with my play as the class.

gutshot

I guess I can just post mine too! http://www.heartharena.com/profile/etiira

If my pre-GvG stuff was counted, my stats would definitely be higher, but the competition wasn't nearly as steep during closed beta. =P

So, any shaman arena tips? I feel like I need a godly draft to even break even as one right now, which obviously means there's something very wrong with my play as the class.

Don't know how much help I can offer, unfortunately. My shaman win rate is so high simply because I've only had one run and got a really good deck.

Shaman definitely feels like one of those arena classes that is highly draft dependent.

embalm

Don't know how much help I can offer, unfortunately. My shaman win rate is so high simply because I've only had one run and got a really good deck.

Shaman definitely feels like one of those arena classes that is highly draft dependent.
It all depends on how many whirling zap-o-matics of doom you can draft. Seeing one of those on turn 1 or 2 in arena gives me the same kick in the gut feeling that turn one Undertaker used to give me.

"Weeeee"

It all depends on how many whirling zap-o-matics of doom you can draft. Seeing one of those on turn 1 or 2 in arena gives me the same kick in the gut feeling that turn one Undertaker used to give me.

"Weeeee"

That helps, but basically anything Shaman has will get recked by flamestrike. So 6 or 7 fire elementals will keep you competitive.

Dahbomb

Random thought I had...

I don't think Cairne is ever coming back (unless they buff him). Not that it's a bad card.... but it's basically just a more "consistent" Skygolem now.

Think about it... the 4-5 health of the starting minion doesn't matter as much as the attack damage. A Skygolem's 6 attack is far more threatening than Cairne's 4 attack, allowing it to trade up while still having a minion on the board. On average Cairne's Deathrattle is better than Skygolem's but there's a chance that Skygolem can spit out a Pitlord or even a charger that can win you the game.

And then you factor in that you can have TWO Skygolems in your deck compared to only one Cairne. I guess you can make the argument that Skygolem is more susceptible to Shadow Word Death but come on... if the Priest is forced to use a spell on a Skygolem then that just means your other bigger Legendaries will get to go ham.

JesseZao

Ugh, ladder anxiety. Think I'm gonna hang out in Casual, I worked too hard for these stars.

You lose them in a couple of weeks anyway. Let go of the anxiety and just play it out. At least you can work towards golden heroes in ranked. Your actual rank doesn't really matter.

Type2

Stared a game with face hunter today before work and realized I only had 5 minutes. The warlock played his void walker and let the timer run so I was fully expecting to surrender. After he stopped running the clock I got one of the fastest wins ever.

I really want to build a shaman deck but I don't know what to do on budget. I could probably craft one legendary.
Edit if anyone wants to help I have beaten nax, have about 30 packs worth of standard and maybe three cvgs.

iirate

Random thought I had...

I don't think Cairne is ever coming back (unless they buff him). Not that it's a bad card.... but it's basically just a more "consistent" Skygolem now.

Think about it... the 4-5 health of the starting minion doesn't matter as much as the attack damage. A Skygolem's 6 attack is far more threatening than Cairne's 4 attack, allowing it to trade up while still having a minion on the board. On average Cairne's Deathrattle is better than Skygolem's but there's a chance that Skygolem can spit out a Pitlord or even a charger that can win you the game.

And then you factor in that you can have TWO Skygolems in your deck compared to only one Cairne. I guess you can make the argument that Skygolem is more susceptible to Shadow Word Death but come on... if the Priest is forced to use a spell on a Skygolem then that just means your other bigger Legendaries will get to go ham.

Yeah, even if the deathrattle minion is worse than a 4/5 on average, I think a big strength of the new shredders is that the opponent will normally need to clear both minions on the turn where they clear the first part, but they don't actually know what they need to do to kill the second until it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom