• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
What are the class cards/challenges we will be getting this week?

Two Dragon themed cards including Dragon Consorts in this wing means that we will be seeing the first actual Dragon Paladin deck this week.

Core Rager, Dragon Consort, Dragon Egg, Rend Blackhand in the wing, and getting Twilight Whelp from the Priest Class challenge and Volcanic Lumberer from the Druid class challenge.

Dragon Priest is something I'm interested in trying but even in a deck like that I think you might opt for Chow over Whelp. Maybe we'll see Faerie Dragon find a way in there. Twilight Whelp into Faerie seems like it would be an okay play. Not sure there are any other scenarios where Whelp is the better choice though.

Dahbomb

Problem is that Faerie Dragon fits very poorly in a Priest deck. Can't heal her, can't buff her up with Velen's Chosen/Power Word...

iirate

Dragon Priest is something I'm interested in trying but even in a deck like that I think you might opt for Chow over Whelp. Maybe we'll see Faerie Dragon find a way in there. Twilight Whelp into Faerie seems like it would be an okay play. Not sure there are any other scenarios where Whelp is the better choice though.

I don't think it'll be good. To start, Faerie Dragon is a poor card for priest. I think a dragon priest style of deck would want to run both Chow and the Whelp, but I think there's just too much downside to Whelp(makes Resurrection bad, encourages awkward starts, sometimes is just a 1 cost 2/1). I don't see much upside to playing dragon priest outside of the Whelp, either. This was the archetype I've been most excited for going into BRM, but I just don't see it happening(at least right now).

Yeah, I'm mostly just spitballing ideas. Not being able to buff Faerie Dragon is unfortunate and using it for the sake of Twilight Whelp probably isn't worth it. especially when Priest generally doesn't care if their opponent is healed by 5.

Also it's a real shame that Consort is a class card. I think it's going to be tough for anything other than dragon Paladin to take off because of that. I guess Blizzard was just afraid of the potential repercussions.

Dahbomb

Yeah, I'm mostly just spitballing ideas. Not being able to buff Faerie Dragon is unfortunate and using it for the sake of Twilight Whelp probably isn't worth it. especially when Priest generally doesn't care if their opponent is healed by 5.

Also it's a real shame that Consort is a class card. I think it's going to be tough for anything other than dragon Paladin to take off because of that. I guess Blizzard was just afraid of the potential repercussions.
Yeah they are mostly worried about Druids abusing it.

Imagine Innervating out a Dragon Consort on turn 3 and then Innervating out a Dragon that normally costs 8 mana (like Chromaggus) on turn 4.

aha, on the other hand, zoo is remarkedly more fun to play against.

Also incredibly fun when you spring your trap.

Oh, did you silence my belcher? Have another. Did you kill that second belcher? Well, kelthuzad is bringing the first silenced one back in full health and taunty goodness. Oh, I'm sorry, is your doomguard supposed to win you the game? 1 belcher becomes 2 taunts, becomes 3 taunts... infinite belcher strategy succeeded!

To break the camel's back, I had a healbot and a truesilver sword all along! 14 hp became 24 hp, with an endless wall of taunts. The funny thing being that if he wasn't a fucking idiot and knew how to play his deck, he could have easily killed my KT the turn he played doomguard. Or at least he had a shot because his shredder got him a second 4/3 from the deathrattle. But he placed doomguard in the worst possible spot - 4 paces from the dire wolf alpha. He could have potentially broke my taunt, and used the doomguard + the wolf to kill KT. Hell, looking at the replay he multiple ways to kill KT because of power overwhelming. He probably still would have lost to tirion or the healbot/sword play the next turn, but still... I guess you cannot claim zoo/facehunter doesn't take skill because there are a lot of idiots who prove otherwise.

Kezan Mystic is such a fucking bitch.

When you play her in your deck you always get her too late or not at all when you need her. Or she comes in your hand against a class that has no secrets.

But when you play a secret, that shit is getting stolen on turn 4 EMPHATICALLY!

The worst is when you finally hit off a Kezan Mystic and they counter with their own Kezan Mystic! The ironic thing is that Mages have started to run Kezan Mystic just to protect their own secrets from being stolen.

Yeah, it turns out that Kezan Mystic is actually a must include in secrets oriented decks. Most players are running one KM now because of Mage and Hunter, so they know that one of their secrets is likely to get stolen. But nobody runs two KMs, so all they have to do is run one KM of their own and steal that one secret back. And yeah, KM does not like to show up when I play Hunter or Mage. If I play Priest or Warrior, she pops up in my starting hand, and then I draw her back by two after I mulligan her. It's ridiculous how she just hides at the bottom of the deck every time I play a secrets class.

Dahbomb

I wished more classes could use Secrets though.

5 classes can use weapons (Shamans, Warriors, Rogues, Paladins, Hunters) but only 3 can use traps (and one of them has really bad traps as they are 1 mana so they can't be too good).

clav

Does anyone concede when they only draw high number cards from start to turn 5?

So many decks end the game before turn 10.

I just started playing this game a few hours ago, and am really enjoying it so far. I just finished beating every practice hero on the hard difficulty, and opened my first pack.
qNBbJ0d.jpg
The announcer guy said that I got an Epic and a Legendary card, which I'm assuming are good.

Now I'm going to read some of the guides in the OP and see what to do next. I guess the next step is to play against real people.

Visceir

Yup, that's the one card I would actually care about having in my deck. Might just skip the rest of the wings as I don't really see many worthwhile cards in there.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just started playing this game a few hours ago, and am really enjoying it so far. I just finished beating every practice hero on the hard difficulty, and opened my first pack.

The announcer guy said that I got an Epic and a Legendary card, which I'm assuming are good.

Now I'm going to read some of the guides in the OP and see what to do next. I guess the next step is to play against real people.

Some good stuff. The Beast is sort of a sucky card, but he is neutral so feel free to play around with him. Shield Slam is a pretty good Warrior card.

ViviOggi

Wild Pyro is great in a bunch of decks, Shield Slam won't do much for you for now but you'll need it for Warrior later down the line. Lightspawn is playable but will quickly be replaced by better minions once your collection grows. Unfortunately The Beast is ass but that's still 400 dust in your pocket.

Legendary in your first pack is good luck. It's not a super great card, but the Epic you got is one of the best Warrior cards. I wouldn't really worry about dusting until you get more comfortable with the game.

Majine

Banned
More fake cards!

wF4SMeL3.png

So basically, if used and attacked with, the 2nd turn with this card on the board it's frozen. If it survives to a 3rd turn, it can attack like a normal minion.

More fake cards!

wF4SMeL3.png

So basically, if used and attacked with, the 2nd turn with this card on the board it's frozen. If it survives to a 3rd turn, it can attack like a normal minion.

That's OP as hell. Basically any deck could do the turn 9 Alex turn 10 Grom Combo with that card, and for only 4 mana. Hell, I'd do Shaman turn 9 Alex, turn 10 Overzealous Adventurer with Windfury and Rockbiter. Even if you played him on turn 4, you can just taunt him after he freezes with DoA or Sunfury. And, he's got 1 more attack than Leeroy for 1 less mana, so Miracle would come back and be even worse than before since you can have 2 of them in your deck. Druids can Innervate + Coin or Innervate X2 and get him out on turn 1 followed by a turn 2 Sunfury to taunt it, or a turn 2 Owl to unfreeze it and do another 7 face damage.

Edit: Holy shit at Face Hunter with this card.

Majine

Banned
That's OP as hell. Basically any deck could do the turn 9 Alex turn 10 Grom Combo with that card, and for only 4 mana. Hell, I'd do Shaman turn 9 Alex, turn 10 Overzealous Adventurer with Windfury and Rockbiter. Even if you played him on turn 4, you can just taunt him after he freezes with DoA or Sunfury. And, he's got 1 more attack than Leeroy for 1 less mana, so Miracle would come back and be even worse than before since you can have 2 of them in your deck. Druids can Innervate + Coin or Innervate X2 and get him out on turn 1 followed by a turn 2 Sunfury to taunt it, or a turn 2 Owl to unfreeze it and do another 7 face damage.

You wouldn't be able to Windfury him. Since he freezes directly after the first attack.

EDIT: Well, unless you silence first then windfury him. But that's a lot of external stuff.

Rapstah

I'm posting this again: we're trying to organise an EU tournament. As of right now, 8 players have signed up, counting me. The closer we get to a power of 2 the better, so 16 would be great. If we end up with an odd number of players we'll randomly give some players byes in the first round.

Right now I'm thinking Conquest, best of 3 5, single elimination. You pick three classes at the start of the tournament and have to keep those three classes for all of the tournament, but you may change your decks between rounds (although not between matches while you are playing against someone). One week per round? If anyone minds this format, tell me! I'm open to ideas. If discussion about this tournament overtakes this thread we'll create a new thread exclusively for the tournament. Whenenever the tournament actually starts, there will definitely be a thread.

I'll re-post this later today so everyone has a shot at signing up without having to read every post in the thread.

Last reminder before the thread goes up (probably) tomorrow. 14 players have signed up (great turnout!), so we have room for two more players to have a full tournament of 16.

You wouldn't be able to Windfury him. Since he freezes directly after the first attack.

EDIT: Well, unless you silence first then windfury him. But that's a lot of external stuff.
If you silence him he wouldn't have Charge. The combo you should be looking out for enabling is playing him, hitting face, and then Shadowflaming for 7 damage to everything for 8 mana.

Ah, I was thinking he freezes after the first turn, not the first attack. Good point. But this would have to be a class card specifically so that Face Hunter can't use it. Also, with Emperor Balance and Innervate, Druids could do some insane shit with the combo.

Special C

More fake cards!

wF4SMeL3.png

That's extremely OP. Thats like a neutral Fireball that does 1 more damage AND has to be removed. Thats even way better than pre-nerf Leeroy.

Majine

Banned
I'm probably super wrong about the stats-to-cost ratio on that thing, but I really like the drawback. It has a lot strategy and foresight involved.

Pooya

make it 6/1 or 7/2 it could work actually. It's like a fireball that can actually be blocked by taunt and you make sure it's pretty much a one time use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom