• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol why do i accept friend requests from people i beat.

First thing he says I FUCKING HATE YOU! Zoolocks really hate it when you freeze trap their precious imp gang boss.

Not often will you see Dr. Boom beaten by 90 points on HearthArena (Kel'Thuzad just got 188 points thanks to a super aggro deck with lots of deathrattle effects). I'm pretty sure 188 is the highest value I've ever seen a pick have too.

Danj

Been playing for about a week and a half.

I have two legendaries:

Malorne & Mogor the Ogre

:(

WTF!! How is that fair, you've been playing a week and a half and you have two legendaries and I've been playing for like 6 or 7 weeks and I have none except for the Naxxramas ones?!? RNGesus plz.

GeoGonzo

Pulled off this the Executus + Alex SUPERCOMBO while fooling around with the Mage Class challenge today. Kripp posted a youtube video recently of him attempting to mill the all-legendary deck in the challenge and it looked like fun so I gave it a try. Besides this happening another highlight was making my opponent discard 4 cards by using a Kidnapper to return a minion to his hand (brining it to 10 cards) and then letting the Homing Chicken (card left by Gelbin that draws 3 cards if it survives) stay on the board. You guys should try it! I had a blast playing with all the portals again heh.

I just tried this.

High Justice Grimstone surprised me with this amazing play:
image1_zpstwcuixal.png

image2_zpsn4mvlepx.png

Jaraxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion... what do you think of this move?
Thank you, Jaraxus.

I'm sitting on potentially 6100 dust right now but I don't want to actually disenchant until a balance patch. Should I just go ahead and disenchant or wait until a patch to potentially get more dust? I've crafted Boom already. Just the value proposition from disenchanting really sucks.

I'm sitting on potentially 6100 dust right now but I don't want to actually disenchant until a balance patch. Should I just go ahead and disenchant or wait until a patch to potentially get more dust? I've crafted Boom already. Just the value proposition from disenchanting really sucks.

I thinks its safe to de almost all classic cards.

Haunted

So if you just save up gold, then you face easier opponents?

Also, punish people who spend money on the game because their collection is bigger, which is largely irrelevant to how good they are?

Nah, they can't match make based on collection size, or total dust of deck, or whatever. I don't think any of it is feasible or desirable.
What about accounting for account history and games played? Fresh accounts get their own pool and can only play other fresh accounts for a while?

The ultimate goal for all of these ideas is to avoid having new players without a lot of cards matched up against experienced players with decks full of legendaries to make their start into this game as painless as possible.

Special C

I miss the shockadin days. I don't have a Tirion or Lay of Hands so I cant really play any control paladins. I have 2900 dust but spending 2000 on two class cards its a hard trigger to pull.

I miss the shockadin days. I don't have a Tirion or Lay of Hands so I cant really play any control paladins. I have 2900 dust but spending 2000 on two class cards its a hard trigger to pull.

Tirion is worth crafting. He's arguably the best card in the game. If he were a neutral legendary, everyone would advise you to craft either him, Sylvanas, or Dr. Boom as your first legendary, and he would be in damn near every deck that isn't super aggro. Lay on Hands can be replaced with Solemn Vigil.

Milennia

started my climb today,, first 3-4 decks were all standard zoo, i am playing demon zoo, it was a hilarious stomp for w.e reason.

bane of doom basically killed anything i found annoying (best thing i got out of it was a voidcaller).

the leper gnomes had me dying of laughter

first time playing since the reset where i was rank 2 i believe, so im around the 15-14 bracket after those 3-4 games so i guess im still playing against the cheaper versions of the deck or something

marrec

Banned
I have a f2p account that's over a year old, and it only has two legendaries outside the ones from the two adventures.

First pack I opened after picking this up when it released on phones had a Millhouse.

So nice of the game to start me with 400 dust.

theytookourjobz

I've got a few legendaries from packs recently. Wondering if they are worth keeping or if I should dust them? I'm pretty new to the game and don't really have a class that I love to play more than others.

Al'akir the Windlord
Hogger
Golden Gruul

What do you guys think?

I've got a few legendaries from packs recently. Wondering if they are worth keeping or if I should dust them? I'm pretty new to the game and don't really have a class that I love to play more than others.

Al'akir the Windlord
Hogger
Golden Gruul

What do you guys think?

I would keep Al Akir for sure and maybe Hogger dust the gold Gruul.

I keep even the most useless legendaries im more of a collector, so you might want to dust the Hogger if you dont see any value in the card except its dust.

ViviOggi

Al'akir the Windlord
Hogger
Golden Gruul

What do you guys think?
Al'Akir is good, Hogger is played from time to time but far from essential and Gruul, no matter if golden or regular, is 100% pure dust

Rapstah

Gruul is the type of card that's so bad, all the comments on Hearthhead are from 2013 before people knew how bad it was.

Ashodin

Deck list? I want to see how it compared to mine (the Tempo Dragon Paladin deck).

Sorry I went to bed right after you asked this.

RSOGVlZ.gif

built with tempo storm's deck builder. The deck does pretty good, I have troubles with Grim Patron a little, I just need more practice against it to know what to look for with this deck and counter. I think Doomsayer is something most decks don't come to expect.

The idea is place sticky minions, trade with early game stuff, then trade away your minions on turn 3/4 into Solemn Vigil + Drakes if you can find them.

What about accounting for account history and games played? Fresh accounts get their own pool and can only play other fresh accounts for a while?

The ultimate goal for all of these ideas is to avoid having new players without a lot of cards matched up against experienced players with decks full of legendaries to make their start into this game as painless as possible.

I think casual already does this. Ranked is a different sort of beast of course and that is intentional, and is designed more towards the player who already understands the game well enough to trek into it. When you already have a firm grasp on the basics of this game, you can win against good decks. It isn't like you can't beat a good deck with a basic deck, that I have done many times in basic only runs on EU. And you shouldn't just be capable of running any random assortment of basic cards and succeed on ladder. There are tons of resources to help you learn the basics and build basic decks if you can't manage it on your own.

The lack of cards isn't what causes people to lose to "decks full of legendaries". It is that they aren't good enough. Also, just having a deck full of legendaries doesn't mean you will win, or even that you have a good deck. The people farming at low ranks are doing it because they are not good enough to play against better opponents, or in arena if they are grinding gold.

As for the idea of accounting history and games played, that is basically what an ELO/ranked MMS does anyway. Ranked resets of course, however it does so for a purpose. Casual, on the other hand, does not reset. They've never fully explained how MMR works in casual and probably for good reason. Of course they can continually touch up the MMS to help newer players. I think they said in one of their last AMAs on reddit that they are working on that.

Cat Party

Ok, cool. What specifically should I craft? Are there any neutral rares and epics that are used in a lot of decks across all classes?

IMO, don't bother with neutral epics. None of them are worth the dust when you're still starting out. There are class epics that are crucial to certain decks, however.

But these rares are very useful in lots of decks:

Azure Drake
Defender of Argus
Mind control tech
Knife juggler
Kezan Mystic

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Crafting rares is kind of bad IMO. Pretty easy to get duplicates over time.

Faceless Manipulator is pretty good while you are new. It is a way to get legendaries when you don't have any.

Crafting rares is kind of bad IMO. Pretty easy to get duplicates over time.

Faceless Manipulator is pretty good while you are new. It is a way to get legendaries when you don't have any.

Over time, yeah. But if you're new, rares and commons are much more relevant to strengthening your deck than a legendary is.

Faceless manipulator... on the other hand, is going to be a rather terrible long term investment. It isn't just a bad legendary replacement, it is just a mediocre card overall - imo. Incredibly niche at the very least and hasn't been seen in competitive play since perhaps beta.

Tacitus_

Manipulator was used for that burst handlock but that died with the leeroy nerf. You can still occasionally see it with the arcane golem version.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Faceless manipulator... on the other hand, is going to be a rather terrible long term investment. It isn't just a bad legendary replacement, it is just a mediocre card overall - imo. Incredibly niche at the very least and hasn't been seen in competitive play since perhaps beta.

I think it was Naxx that pretty much killed it. It stayed around for awhile. I don't think it's a bad card, I would still slot it in a control deck if I was lacking in legendaries.

f0lken

I returned to this game three weeks ago because of it being on phones and was losing all my arenas badly, like 2-3 1-3 and so, but then I choose chaman just because (I love chaman but on Arena never have won more than 2 matches), and here I am, 8-1, with 6 of those wins singlehandedly thanks to the motherfucking Earth Elemental, 3 just conceded instantly and the other 3 just went insane mode trying to kill it forgetting my other cards on the board lol

Tacitus_

IMO, don't bother with neutral epics. None of them are worth the dust when you're still starting out. There are class epics that are crucial to certain decks, however.

But these rares are very useful in lots of decks:

Azure Drake
Defender of Argus
Mind control tech
Knife juggler
Kezan Mystic

Obviously a useful card but crafting 4 badly needed rares would be more worthwhile for a new player.

I'd skip kezan and MC tech, since they're tech cards, but the rest should be crafted imo.

Danj

You know what, this is pissing me off now. Can we not just have a separate ladder where everyone who plays Dr. Boom goes? Like, if you have Dr. Boom in your deck you are restricted to playing against other people with Dr. Boom in their deck.

Dahbomb

He's not called Dr Balanced because he's a fair card.

Craft it and put him in every single deck. Your winrate will go up 20%.

The funniest thing about Dr. Balanced is that he's strong and versatile enough to fit in to almost any deck that isn't Face Hunter.

Dahbomb

The funniest thing about Dr. Balanced is that he's strong and versatile enough to fit in to almost any deck that isn't Face Hunter.
I have put him in Face Hunter deck and it can give you some cheeky wins with the Boom Bots to face.

It's not like it's awful to put him in Face Hunter.

Now I know why Dragon Hunter is a thing... fucking Kripparian made a video on it and now people have started using it.

Ashodin

I have put him in Face Hunter deck and it can give you some cheeky wins with the Boom Bots to face.

It's not like it's awful to put him in Face Hunter.

Now I know why Dragon Hunter is a thing... fucking Kripparian made a video on it and now people have started using it.

How Good Is Dragon Hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom