• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sande

Never payed for anything in his game and I have both solo adventures opened up and a ton of cards. This game isnt p2w, it may speed up the process of getting there but it doesnt require it
P2W doesn't mean that you literally have to pay to get an edge over your opponents. Of course you can grind all cards just by playing. But imagine someone dropping $100 on the game day 1 to get a shitload of cards and to ensure he can craft Dr. Boom, Sylvanas and whatever you can get with all that dust. That guy would destroy any other first-timer unless he's utterly shit or RNG is completely on the other guy's side. That's textbook P2W so the game obviously has that to some degree. But that's fine, it's a damn trading card game after all.

P2W doesn't mean that you literally have to pay to get an edge over your opponents. Of course you can grind all cards just by playing. But imagine someone dropping $100 on the game day 1 to get a shitload of cards and to ensure he can craft Dr. Boom, Sylvanas and whatever you can get with all that dust. That guy would destroy any other first-timer unless he's utterly shit or RNG is completely on the other guy's side. That's textbook P2W so the game obviously has that to some degree. But that's fine, it's a damn trading card game after all.

I think most consider P2W the idea that those who pay have a continued advantage over those who don't. That's not the case with Hearthstone.

Dahbomb

Solemn Vigil is amazing. Paladin definitely needed a more reliable way to draw cards that didn't involve waiting 8 turns to play Lay of Hand.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Solemn Vigil is amazing. Paladin definitely needed a more reliable way to draw cards that didn't involve waiting 8 turns to play Lay of Hand.

Solemn Vigil isn't a game changer but it's better than Acolyte, for sure. It never worked as well as it did in warrior.

Haunted

But how do you rank how good an account's collection is? Just rarity? So the guy with Farsight, Clockwork Giant, Tree of Life, Milhouse and Tinkmaster has to go play with the big boys?
It wouldn't be the sole metric, but be incorporated as a factor alongside the current system for casual mode.

That would be even worse, people would just disenchant stuff in their collections just so they can pair up against weaker opponents.
Fuck, if there are people out there who actually want to gut their whole collection just to get paired up with other cardless peasants... fuck it, be my guest. Still better than the current system.

Dahbomb

People farm gold portraits at low rank by just conceding after every other match just so they can play against scrubs. So hell yea people would try to game the system in order to get paired up against weaker opponents.

Haunted

People farm gold portraits at low rank by just conceding after every other match just so they can play against scrubs. So hell yea people would try to game the system in order to get paired up against weaker opponents.
Well, you're realistically never going to be able to stop this small amount of "hardcore farmers" from gaming the system either way, I think an overhaul of the system incorporating total collection size as an additional metric would be better for more people (and especially beginners).

As a side effect, you'd punish the farmers by forcing them to gut their collection to game the system instead of sacrificing nothing of value (like it is now), so that's an improvement, too.

Well, you're realistically never going to be able to stop this small amount of "hardcore farmers" from gaming the system either way, I think an overhaul of the system incorporating total collection size as an additional metric would be better for more people (and especially beginners).

As a side effect, you'd punish the farmers by forcing them to gut their collection to game the system instead of sacrificing nothing of value (like it is now), so that's an improvement, too.

So if you just save up gold, then you face easier opponents?

Also, punish people who spend money on the game because their collection is bigger, which is largely irrelevant to how good they are?

Nah, they can't match make based on collection size, or total dust of deck, or whatever. I don't think any of it is feasible or desirable.

johnsmith

remember me
The way you solve gold hero farming is easy. Raise the cost, but also give out more points at higher ranks.

Something like
25-20 1 point
20-15 2 points
15-10 3 points
10-5 4 points
5-L 5 points

The way you solve gold hero farming is easy. Raise the cost, but also give out more points at higher ranks.

Something like
25-20 1 point
20-15 2 points
15-10 3 points
10-5 4 points
5-L 5 points

So basically every low rank player must suffer lower gains because of farmers? Seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot to get rid of a tick.
cheeky.gif

They do have some ways to reduce gold farming but they are implemented in a way to not affect legitimate players. I don't understand how it works exactly but I think if you concede too much, to tank you rank, you can go into a mode where you don't earn any gold til you win a certain amount of games. That kind of thing is what they have now, although it isn't really explained well.

johnsmith

remember me
So basically every low rank player must suffer lower gains because of farmers? Seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot to get rid of a tick.
cheeky.gif

They do have some ways to reduce gold farming but they are implemented in a way to not affect legitimate players. I don't understand how it works exactly but I think if you concede too much, to tank you rank, you can go into a mode where you don't earn any gold til you win a certain amount of games. That kind of thing is what they have now, although it isn't really explained well.

Gold portraits do nothing though. What are low rank players really missing out on? Being matched vs opponents closer to your level would be worth it I think. Casual players already suffer since they get no progress towards gold portraits at all.

Type2

I'm not sure what happened in the last two months but this game all the sudden threw the Reynard salt into me. No matter what deck I play I get garbage mulligans 75% of the time now, rng hits in the worst possible way against me and switching decks puts me up against my counter. I'm already at 20 for the month so I might just take it easy. patron is my only hope because I can pull that win out of frothings ass after getting smashed all game :B.

Just figured out the best use for Hungry Dragon, breaking a Mage's Duplicate. Only problem is when the secret is Mirror Entity, which is ran more often. Oh well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been seeing all kinds of weird shit on ladder lately. Went against a paladin that started off with an Ancient Watcher into Coghammer...that was annoying as hell.

Type2

I've been seeing all kinds of weird shit on ladder lately. Went against a paladin that started off with an Ancient Watcher into Coghammer...that was annoying as hell.
Yeah some guy posted that deck on reddit last week and it's got a nice take on pally.

Yeah some guy posted that deck on reddit last week and it's got a nice take on pally.

I've seen decks like it before, never was impressed. I think coghammer is fine though, but not really that good against many midrange and control decks.

LiveWire

Pulled a Sneed's out of an arena pack tonight. Any deck types that make use of it? Control? Thinking about slotting it in with the emperor in my tempo Druid deck unless something better comes to mind.

Pulled a Sneed's out of an arena pack tonight. Any deck types that make use of it? Control? Thinking about slotting it in with the emperor in my tempo Druid deck unless something better comes to mind.

Generally not used because he's slow and doesn't have a big impact on the board. Still, it's a fun card that can probably fit into most control decks.

Bought 4 packs. Got Tirion and Flame Leviathan. Luckiest I ever been, guess they can't all be winners though.

Prob gonna dust Leviathan but I feel bad letting go of Legendaries without giving them a chance

Ashodin

Trying this new aggressive -> dragon paladin deck.

Basically, drop all the early sticky minions, do trades, drop holy shit dragons + solemn vigil. Late game open up with Consort + Ysera if you get there.

having a lot more luck with ramp druid as opposed to midrange druid. Cutting the combo and shades and replacing those 6 cards with 2 sen'jins + 2 ancients of war + 2 utility cards feels a lot better for me.

I know midrange is a lot better against certain decks (handlock, rogues) but ramp is a bit better against zoo which is what really counts right now. I don't know if the matchup vs face hunter is better or worse, since I won a lot of games with FON + Roar, but ancient of war is just as game-winning in most situations if I can survive long enough to put him down.

Dahbomb

Trying this new aggressive -> dragon paladin deck.

Basically, drop all the early sticky minions, do trades, drop holy shit dragons + solemn vigil. Late game open up with Consort + Ysera if you get there.
Deck list? I want to see how it compared to mine (the Tempo Dragon Paladin deck).

Dragner

Kibler was playing a more agressive approach to dragon Paladin, drop Blackrock technician and knife juggler for haunted creer and argus l, he was doing fine on ladder (I saw him go from 8-7 to late 5 before going to bed).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Remember the table with a massive crack on it? I decided to karate chop it... gg.

Today I need to head to IKEA and replace it. Shit quality.

Danj

Turn 5 victory.

Feels good man.

I also got to rank 15 which is pretty good for me, I think it's the highest I've been so far.

EDIT: on an unrelated note, just came across this page which represents the UK's political party leaders as Hearthstone cards. Pretty amusing I thought.

EDIT 2: my Mage is now level 60, I guess that's max level? Doesn't seem to be going up any more.

Magnus

What I really want are new Casual matchup modes. A mode where you can control some variables - like, Only face specific class, or only mirror matches, or a no legendary mode, or Best-2-of-3s so that you can really test yourself against an opponent and even things out instead of losing quickly due to shit mulligans/draws in your one match, Etc.

For example, as a priest, there's no match I love more than mirror. Priest vs Priest is always random, fun, and full of unexpected strats and outcomes. I wish I could hop on and choose to play a casual match against another priest who wanted to do the same.

A solution to my problem is to make more BNET friends and actually control match types with them. Haha.

Daigoro

multiple people with Battlenet accounts can have the same name right?

just played a guy named Trump, but im like level 16, so im sure it wasnt Trump, just some guy with the same name.

Magnus

multiple people with Battlenet accounts can have the same name right?

just played a guy named Trump, but im like level 16, so im sure it wasnt Trump, just some guy with the same name.

Correct. The #xxxx number in your tag is your specific designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom