• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milennia

I'm playing as Midrange Hunter around rank 10. Ran into a Druid - beat him. Faced him again right after and he beat me. He was running what felt like a Face Druid deck... The cards I saw that I remember:

Echoing Ooze
Nerubian Egg
Dragon Egg
Mark of the Wild
Swipe
Force of Nature
Savage Roar
Dark Wispers
Shade of Naxxramas
Keeper of the Grove
Power of the Wild
Haunted Cteeper

Anyway, he basically would buff up his various sticky minions and would basically just go face except when there were times that he needed or could make an efficient trade. His whole premise was to get little minions on the board, then do Savage Roar/Power of the Wild combos and go face. Kind of interesting.
thats a new version of token druid

Parshias7

Hm, maybe base it on the account's collection, not the deck itself?

But how do you rank how good an account's collection is? Just rarity? So the guy with Farsight, Clockwork Giant, Tree of Life, Milhouse and Tinkmaster has to go play with the big boys?

Tacitus_

I'm all for making wallet warriors only play each other and control priests, but match making based on rarity is not going to work.

Cat Party

I had been thinking for a while of ways Blizzard could improve the experience for new players, and here are some of the things I came up with:

-A third mode along side Ranked and Casual, Basic Mode. This mode would only allow decks with Basic Cards to be used. If MtG can have multiple formats, why can't Hearthstone?

-Add rewards other than stars to ranks at the end of the season. At the moment, there are two tiers of Ranked rewards: get to Rank 20 and get the card back, or get to Legend and... play in Legend. There is nothing in between. Plenty of times I have gotten to Rank 17 or so and then just stopped playing because there's no way I'll be able to get to Legend without playing for a ton of extra time and there's no real reward for me getting to Rank 11 rather than just sitting where I am. Throw in gold, dust, and card pack rewards for finishing a month at higher ranks and more people will play Ranked mode and newer players can build up their card stock more quickly.

-Expand the Basic set. This was something I thought Blizzard would eventually have to do, although I don't think now is the time to do so. Pick a mix of cards from the Classic set and move them to the Basic set. Not everything, but you could still move over some good stuff like Harvest Golem, Wrath, maybe even super useful Legendaries like Sylvanas. Players who already have these cards from packs could either get the full dust cost out of the cards, get gold versions for free, or maybe come up with some new visual effect to distinguish that these cards came from packs, kinda like the "Vintage" weapons in TF2.
Agreed on all parts.

Also, drop the damn price on Naxxramas, already!

Danj

Agreed on all parts.

Also, drop the damn price on Naxxramas, already!

What bothers me about the adventures is that when everyone else has them (which they do) they're no longer optional if you want to have a ghost of a chance against anyone other than noobs.

Parshias7

What bothers me about the adventures is that when everyone else has them (which they do) they're no longer optional if you want to have a ghost of a chance against anyone other than noobs.

Hopefully we'll see the first wing of BRM be free for a limited time like the first wing of Naxx was. Quick Shot, Grim Patron and Emperor Balanced are all in there, and that's pretty close to what you'll want out of BRM if you don't want to go for a dragon deck.

Been using HearthArena to build my arena decks.

Just went 3-3 with my Warrior.

Fucking Fel Reaver, I lost the last match single-handedly because of that shitty ass card. Why would they ever tell me to pick that bullshit. Never again.

Dahbomb

Been using HearthArena to build my arena decks.

Just went 3-3 with my Warrior.

Fucking Fel Reaver, I lost the last match single-handedly because of that shitty ass card. Why would they ever tell me to pick that bullshit. Never again.
This was the problem.

Also Fel Reaver has to be used appropriately... can't just throw it down on turn 5. You basically throw it down when you are in the lead to snowball out of control, not when the game is sort of in the balance.

Danj

Hopefully we'll see the first wing of BRM be free for a limited time like the first wing of Naxx was. Quick Shot, Grim Patron and Emperor Balanced are all in there, and that's pretty close to what you'll want out of BRM if you don't want to go for a dragon deck.

That would be handy.

With regard to the ranking discussion from earlier, how about if players were matched against people with a similar win/loss rate? So people who win a lot would be forced to play against other people who win a lot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Fel Reaver can singlehandedly win you games as well. People can go full derp trying to burn your cards and forget its a friggin 8/8. If it hits face twice you win. It's weak against taunts and freeze effects but otherwise its a pretty good card to drop on Turn 5. You just have to aim straight for the face. Never trade with it. You have to end the game ASAP once it is out.

Parshias7

With regard to the ranking discussion from earlier, how about if players were matched against people with a similar win/loss rate? So people who win a lot would be forced to play against other people who win a lot.

I think that's supposed to be what happens in Casual mode.

I had been thinking for a while of ways Blizzard could improve the experience for new players, and here are some of the things I came up with:

-A third mode along side Ranked and Casual, Basic Mode. This mode would only allow decks with Basic Cards to be used. If MtG can have multiple formats, why can't Hearthstone?

-Add rewards other than stars to ranks at the end of the season. At the moment, there are two tiers of Ranked rewards: get to Rank 20 and get the card back, or get to Legend and... play in Legend. There is nothing in between. Plenty of times I have gotten to Rank 17 or so and then just stopped playing because there's no way I'll be able to get to Legend without playing for a ton of extra time and there's no real reward for me getting to Rank 11 rather than just sitting where I am. Throw in gold, dust, and card pack rewards for finishing a month at higher ranks and more people will play Ranked mode and newer players can build up their card stock more quickly.

-Expand the Basic set. This was something I thought Blizzard would eventually have to do, although I don't think now is the time to do so. Pick a mix of cards from the Classic set and move them to the Basic set. Not everything, but you could still move over some good stuff like Harvest Golem, Wrath, maybe even super useful Legendaries like Sylvanas. Players who already have these cards from packs could either get the full dust cost out of the cards, get gold versions for free, or maybe come up with some new visual effect to distinguish that these cards came from packs, kinda like the "Vintage" weapons in TF2.

There are a boatload of improvements that need to be made to Hearthstone. More than 9 decks. The ability to copy/paste a deck to tweak it, etc. I feel like Blizzard is barely re-investing in this game. New cards/expansions are fine, but the platform, itself, needs some serious updating.

Quick idea about matchmaking. Arena Value gives you a number for your deck based on cards. They could do the same based on a rarity value based on your deck. However, I don't think that'd be enoguh, they should have three different ladders, a low, medium, and high. That way decks only face decks of equal value. There could even be a fourth that only allows basic set cards.

Problems I can think of;
-Chances are this will set all deck types against themselves. Control generally has a lot of higher rarity cards apposed to aggro decks. No idea if this is good or bad.
-As with any system, there would probably be a way to exploit the system. Hard to explain how without guidelines in place.
-Most importantly, it makes things more complicated, which goes against the design core of HearthStone.

Also, after typing this, I feel like this is similar to what other people have said.

Fixed1979

I thought it would be fun to use Hearthstones deckbuilder to play some games in casual arena style...needless to say it wasn't fun at all. I forgot how shitty that thing was, if blizz want casuals to get more involved then that might be a decent thing to look at.

embalm

Quick idea about matchmaking. Arena Value gives you a number for your deck based on cards. They could do the same based on a rarity value based on your deck. However, I don't think that'd be enoguh, they should have three different ladders, a low, medium, and high. That way decks only face decks of equal value. There could even be a fourth that only allows basic set cards.

Problems I can think of;
-Chances are this will set all deck types against themselves. Control generally has a lot of higher rarity cards apposed to aggro decks. No idea if this is good or bad.
-As with any system, there would probably be a way to exploit the system. Hard to explain how without guidelines in place.
-Most importantly, it makes things more complicated, which goes against the design core of HearthStone.

Also, after typing this, I feel like this is similar to what other people have said.
This would be a really bad idea. Rarity doesn't determine how good a deck is at all. Most decks will run 1 or 2 legendary cards at most. Rarity doesn't separate new players from old players.

Face Hunter & Zoo, two of the best decks in the game use mostly common cards and would ABSOLUTELY crush all new players in the hands of an experienced player.

Paladins and Warriors depend on a lots of Rare and Epic cards in addition to 2 or 3 legendary cards to make a viable deck and would out cost all other decks except each other.

What about the new player who just so happens to open a double legendary pack shoves them in a deck and proceeds to get absolutely crushed by fine tuned decks because despite his high dust deck, he is missing key commons and epics that make it good.

The amount of dust within a deck has no bearings on how good it is at all. I know there is a portion of the ladder where decks are full of legendary cards, but all you have to do is play a fast deck with a good curve and you will blow past them. Those decks suck, but it's not the legendary cards, it's the top heavy mana curve they have. A deck full of Ogres and Iron Barks would win all the time too, if you let them play them out.

The amount of dust within a deck has no bearings on how good it is at all.
Yeah, I know. It was just something I quickly thought up. I think it would be a good idea to split up the ladder, but the problem is how. Just need a way to differentiate decks and players. It might take a while, though I'm pretty sure it's something Blizzard wants to fix as they have talked about it before.

Edit:
Hearth arena values aren't necessarily based on rarity of the actual card. Synergy and mana curve composition also factors heavily into the value of the card.
I don't actually mean to use those exact values, they were just an example. Give decks a value could, or couldn't be, a good or bad idea.

This would be a really bad idea. Rarity doesn't determine how good a deck is at all. Most decks will run 1 or 2 legendary cards at most. Rarity doesn't separate new players from old players.

Face Hunter & Zoo, two of the best decks in the game use mostly common cards and would ABSOLUTELY crush all new players in the hands of an experienced player.

Paladins and Warriors depend on a lots of Rare and Epic cards in addition to 2 or 3 legendary cards to make a viable deck and would out cost all other decks except each other.

What about the new player who just so happens to open a double legendary pack shoves them in a deck and proceeds to get absolutely crushed by fine tuned decks because despite his high dust deck, he is missing key commons and epics that make it good.

The amount of dust within a deck has no bearings on how good it is at all. I know there is a portion of the ladder where decks are full of legendary cards, but all you have to do is play a fast deck with a good curve and you will blow past them. Those decks suck, but it's not the legendary cards, it's the top heavy mana curve they have. A deck full of Ogres and Iron Barks would win all the time too, if you let them play them out.

Hearth arena values aren't necessarily based on rarity of the actual card. Synergy and mana curve composition also factors heavily into the value of the card.

fanboi

Banned
jy7ZDzj.jpg

Mulgrok

All they need to do for new players is have a casual mode that only allows the default cards players get at the start and the class cards gained from leveling. It would not be as fun as other modes, but it would be a great way to ease new people into the game without overwhelming them in p2w decks.

Tacitus_

I don't actually mean to use those exact values, they were just an example. Give decks a value could, or couldn't be, a good or bad idea.

Properly valuing all the possible synergy combos in constructed would be nigh-on impossible. It works in arena since you're mainly judging them from the card text and then adjusting the value for curve and possible synergies.

Mage draft with 3 Water Elementals, 4 Frostbolts, Fireball, Blizzard, and other good cards without a single terrible one goes 3/3.

Paladin draft with no Truesilver, no Kings, no Minibot, and cards like Frostwolf Grunt, Questing Adventurer, and nothing over 5 cost is currently at 4/0.

Arena.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuckingafg apufap

i just had a won game and lost it because fucking mobile hearthstone

i accidentally kill commanded my own face and lost because of it

embalm

The post I was quoting said to use rarity in the same way as heartharena values to judge a decks worth. I translated that as the dust cost of a deck, which I'm assuming the quoted post just didn't think to associate dust to rarity costs.

Assigning a pure value to a card has it's own disadvantages.

We really don't need a new competitive mode. Ladder is really good at placing you where you belong. You might get beat for because your deck is crap. You might lose because you are trying to play a budget form of a different deck. None of that stops you from winning with a net deck. You always end up around 50% win rate, which is where you should be.

If a new mode needs to be created it's a kind of experiment mode. So we can take our Pirate Priest decks and play matches where NO rewards are offered. A place where fun decks are encouraged and no rewards can be gained so the try hard decks won't come in for quick wins.

Do Better

Mage draft with 3 Water Elementals, 4 Frostbolts, Fireball, Blizzard, and other good cards without a single terrible one goes 3/3.

Paladin draft with no Truesilver, no Kings, no Minibot, and cards like Frostwolf Grunt, Questing Adventurer, and nothing over 5 cost is currently at 4/0.

Arena.

the match ups

I had a run where I played three players in a row that had legendaries. I went 1-2 against them, beating a Shaman that had Alikir and a nasty deck overall.

If a new mode needs to be created it's a kind of experiment mode. So we can take our Pirate Priest decks and play matches where NO rewards are offered. A place where fun decks are encouraged and no rewards can be gained so the try hard decks won't come in for quick wins.
We already have that, it's called Casual mode, but the issue is how do you get a new player to enjoy the game if they only just get constantly crushed by people who just have way better cards. I would bet it's a nightmare trying to do anything with basic cards in either play mode. Maybe it's not a dire issue, but we even have a few people here post that they can't get into the game because of power imbalance when facing opponents

All they need to do for new players is have a casual mode that only allows the default cards players get at the start and the class cards gained from leveling. It would not be as fun as other modes, but it would be a great way to ease new people into the game without overwhelming them in p2w decks.

Never payed for anything in his game and I have both solo adventures opened up and a ton of cards. This game isnt p2w, it may speed up the process of getting there but it doesnt require it

ViviOggi

It's a bit delusional to fantasize about newbie queues when Blizz doesn't even give a flying fuck about the tremendous tumor that are golden portrait farmers

Replays, deck slots, bo3 queue, ranked rewards, why care when your game literally prints money as long as you keep new cards rolling in

BRM was the perfect opportunity for a Naxx sale/bundle to at least make it a tiny bit easier on new players, instead they scrapped the free first wing and got tons of people to put down real money with one ugly card back

embalm

We already have that, it's called Casual mode, but the issue is how do you get a new player to enjoy the game if they only just get constantly crushed by people who just have way better cards. I would bet it's a nightmare trying to do anything with basic cards in either play mode. Maybe it's not a dire issue, but we even have a few people here post that they can't get into the game because of power imbalance when facing opponents

No. Casual mode is the best place to farm gold. It's used as a race track to win 30 games and collect your 100 gold per day. There is no room for experimentation when you get faced by turn 5. Allowing gold and quests to work there makes it a competitive mode. It's just a different competitive mode than Ladder.

New players don't lose to people with "way better cards". They lose because they misplay often and try to build their own decks without any real knowledge of the game. Deck building is probably the biggest reason, and just about all deck guides that exist have a budget section, where you can sub in common/rare cards for epic/legendary ones.

Within a month or for about $25 a player can build a full top ranked deck. It will be mid-range or aggro, but it's very possible. You also might need to make choices about which classes you prefer to play and dust cards from other classes.

If you really want to be on even footing with other players then play Arena. Your deck will almost always be equal to your opponents. The number of legendary cards does not matter at all. It's about good plays and rngesus.

Edit:
Two of my friends recently joined the game. They are the reason for what I said above. I watch and play with both of them often and a lot of their complaints focus on lack of legendary cards. What I always see in their home made decks are massive combos(priest combo), too many situational cards(Kodo), and their lack of experience for things like knowing what each classes board clears are and when they can be cast.
I made a basic & common mage deck to play with them on occasion and it was weeks before one of them defeated it. Value trades, preparing for board clears, and cheap removal.

They now have a few legendary, epics, and cool decks. They still aren't great players, but they know that it's not legendaries that are beating them, it's their experience.

Brakara

Personally, I wish there was a real casual mode, where you could try out decks without going up and down ranks or earning gold/quests.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jeez, just pulled Foe Reaper after a (terrible) arena. After the last few days I don't think I can ever complain about RNG again, I got 5 legendaries in the last 30 packs.

ZZMitch

Pulled off this the Executus + Alex SUPERCOMBO while fooling around with the Mage Class challenge today. Kripp posted a youtube video recently of him attempting to mill the all-legendary deck in the challenge and it looked like fun so I gave it a try. Besides this happening another highlight was making my opponent discard 4 cards by using a Kidnapper to return a minion to his hand (brining it to 10 cards) and then letting the Homing Chicken (card left by Gelbin that draws 3 cards if it survives) stay on the board. You guys should try it! I had a blast playing with all the portals again heh.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-06%20at%206.35.37%20PM_zpskk66oyul.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom