• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a captain greenskin once and dusted him before getting the parrot(since i didn't have some other pirates). Will I get the parrot once i get all the other pirates?

Haunted

I had a captain greenskin once and dusted him before getting the parrot(since i didn't have some other pirates). Will I get the parrot once i get all the other pirates?
You need all the pirates in your collection to get the parrot. Having owned some of them at one time doesn't count.

Parrot's one of the worst cards in the game anyway.

Haunted

Currently 5 and 0 in arena. Feels good.

Edited to add:

Ended 5 and 3. How come I never get Mage? And if I got mage, I doubt I would get to have as many flamestrikes, flame cannons, pyroblasts and fireballs as these frickin' lucky assholes. My Druid deck was good, it didn't deserve to get mauled by hack Hearthstone players who get gifted these perfect fucking decks.

Fuck Arena. 100 gold and pack worth 40 dust didn't exactly thrill me either.
This post is Hearthstone arena in a nutshell. :lol

Currently 5 and 0 in arena. Feels good.

Edited to add:

Ended 5 and 3. How come I never get Mage? And if I got mage, I doubt I would get to have as many flamestrikes, flame cannons, pyroblasts and fireballs as these frickin' lucky assholes. My Druid deck was good, it didn't deserve to get mauled by hack Hearthstone players who get gifted these perfect fucking decks.

Fuck Arena. 100 gold and pack worth 40 dust didn't exactly thrill me either.

Flamestrike is just broken in arena. The threat of the card alone affects arena so much, something no other card has. Its just boring to play against Mage and Paladin like 80% of the time.

Flamestrike is just broken in arena. The threat of the card alone affects arena so much, something no other card has. Its just boring to play against Mage and Paladin like 80% of the time.

If anybody wants real stats, I keep track of my arena runs and only face Mage/Paladin 43% of the time. 57% of the time it's one of the other 7 classes.

Mage was given a pretty large indirect buff by BRM in that it made games slower, made it a bit more minion heavy, and made those minions bigger and beefier on average. Since Mage has the best spot removal of any class (Druid and Paladin, otherwise very strong classes, struggle mightily against big creatures) and a hero power with no drawback it's very good at drawn out games with big minions. It can usually threaten lethal with Fireball/Frostbolt/Dragon's Breath/Pyro too. And a good Mage draft can deal with aggro decks that it would theoretically be weak against thanks to Flamestrike/Blizzard/Cone of Cold/Flamewaker. I think Rogue or Hunter (with a lot of reach) has the best hope of getting through a powerful Mage deck.

Unless other classes get big buffs to their removal spells or Mage gets at least one of Polymorph or Fireball moved up to Rare, I expect it will remain the best class.

I have 582 Arena matches recorded on HearthArena and 24% of those are against Mage. I know from experience that Mages are significantly more common in the higher ranks and it's not unusual to play against it 3-4 times in a row at the end of a very deep run. I'm sure there's a bit of pre-selection going on there though - good players go deep in Arena more often than average/poor players, and good players also know Mage is strong, so they pick it whenever it's available.

Jadax

Oh EchoThuzad Mage how I love you.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%205.26.17%20PM_zpsxpb2wexc.png
Holy fuckballs! Are you cards from random drops? I don't have any elites(?) yet.

Jadax

So I've got 20/20 from practice mode for all decks - what should I do now? I was reading up on some average starter decks, but I'm missing like half the cards from all decks (flame imps, argent squires etc.) so what do I do?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Almost at 1600 to craft my first crafted legendary.

What should I craft with it after they nerf Dr. Boom and I'm refunded the full amount?

demonlock is so fucking good, holy shit

There's a bit of an art to placing minions in the right order on the board, and making sure there's enough room for the deathrattles to proc properly, but misplaying stuff hardly matters sometimes.

Then again somehow the face hunters all went away after I started playing this, so maybe I'll hit a rough patch soon.

Majine

Banned
Would be kinda funny to play 1vs1 and instead of picking your deck, you choose one for your opponent. Must be the most fucked up games.

ViviOggi

Just started deleting people who spectate, don't bother responding to messages and quickly leave once the game starts looking bad. It's just rude tbh, get your pack somewhere else

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Funny on the Arena talk from last night/this morning.

I posted last week I tried arena again. Went 6-3 with 1 loss being my fault and other 2 losses being Mages just steam rolling me fire Fireballs. I had 0 chance of winning as soon as we matched up. :|

PS: My other loss was to a Paly.

sgjackson

Funny on the Arena talk from last night/this morning.

I posted last week I tried arena again. Went 6-3 with 1 loss being my fault and other 2 losses being Mages just steam rolling me fire Fireballs. I had 0 chance of winning as soon as we matched up. :|

PS: My other loss was to a Paly.

i definitely feel like one of the things that made me get better at arena was analyzing my losses like that. sometimes a mage just has four fireballs, but i got to the point where i was thinking about my plays enough i realized "if i had done x here instead i'd have been in much better shape" probably once or twice per arena run. applying that information has done wonders for my win rate.

Loto

Just started deleting people who spectate, don't bother responding to messages and quickly leave once the game starts looking bad. It's just rude tbh, get your pack somewhere else

Really? It would be one thing if your spectators trash talked you while losing, but in all likelihood they just want the quest done. I can't imagine it's a big deal for someone to pop in and leave when they wanted. To each their own I guess.

gutshot

I just had the most amazing Juggle/Unleash comeback combo ever.

Playing Paladin and I'm down to 6 health. He is at 11. His board is Knife Juggler, Shielded Mini, Piloted Shredder, Harrison Jones and a Sludge Belcher; all at full health. I have nothing.

In my hand is Freezing Trap, Knife Juggler and Unleash. I topdeck my second Unleash. Juggle + Unleash and the 5 knives chip away health from his board and face. I clear the Belcher with my Hounds and then Unleash again. 5 more knives and 5 more hounds later I've cleared his entire board except for the Piloted Shredder and still have 2 hounds left over. Attack face with the hounds, bringing him down to 7, then play Freezing Trap and end turn.

He topdecks nothing good and I attack with Knife Juggler, my two hounds and then hero power for exact lethal next turn.

inky

I was doing a couple of quests and I faced, I shit you know, 8 Hunters in a row. All with that nu-face deck that has Freeze Traps in it. LMAO

ViviOggi

Really? It would be one thing if your spectators trash talked you while losing, but in all likelihood they just want the quest done. I can't imagine it's a big deal for someone to pop in and leave when they wanted. To each their own I guess.

That's of course only regarding randoms I've picked up somewhere down the line, if I know you or it looks like you're just afk spectating to grab the quest that's fine. But I don't need people who ignore messages while actively gamehopping to clutter up my friends list.

Vanillalite

i definitely feel like one of the things that made me get better at arena was analyzing my losses like that. sometimes a mage just has four fireballs, but i got to the point where i was thinking about my plays enough i realized "if i had done x here instead i'd have been in much better shape" probably once or twice per arena run. applying that information has done wonders for my win rate.

My Paly loss was my bad for sure looking back on it.

Still the fact remains I was fucked from the get go against the two Mages. It's what turns me off about Arena. The difference between an 11-1 or 5-3 Arena run literally comes down to how many Mages did I get matched up against most of the time.

Heropon

I feel a bit filthy in arena as I did what an evil Warlock managed to do against me yesterday with some added injury. Knife Juggler + 4 damage Implosion + Sea Giant action, together with Alpha Wolf and Imp Gang Boss. I should feel better, as I'm 5-0 right now and I thought the deck was mediocre

Dahbomb

I know right. It's getting kinda annoying.

Like I have no problem letting people spectate to get their packs but sometimes I am just testing new decks and people start spectating me without saying anything. Then I ask them if they are spectating for the pack they don't respond I just assume they are doing it so I switch to a top tier deck, win real quick and as soon as I win they leave.

If someone is spectating me and didn't say anything I have no idea why they are spectating. Maybe they want to see my baller Dragon Paladin deck, I don't know that. You are wasting your own time by not telling me that you are spectating to get the pack.

sgjackson

My Paly loss was my bad for sure looking back on it.

Still the fact remains I was fucked from the get go against the two Mages. It's what turns me off about Arena. The difference between an 11-1 or 5-3 Arena run literally comes down to how many Mages did I get matched up against most of the time.

what's your average win rate?

Vanillalite

if you average 8 wins per arena run you're going infinite and are a good player. are you stat tracking?

To be fair I didn't start playing Hearth in general as early as many of you, and when I started Arena I always use Hearth Arena.

Not sure how much of that win rate is on me or on using the site.

I think my problem with Arena is I feel like

1) Mage is OP
2) I use Hearth Arena website as a crutch
3) I never feel like I personally won or lost

johnsmith

remember me
An 8 win average in arena is incredible and would immediately make you one of the best arena players in the world. I don't want to say you're lying, but I really don't believe you.

Well known players like Ratsmah, Trump, and ADWCTA (one of the creators of heartharena) all average less than 8.

Vanillalite

An 8 win average in arena is incredible and would immediately make you one of the best arena players in the world. I don't want to say you're lying, but I really don't believe you.

Well known players like Ratsmah, Trump, and ADWCTA (one of the creators of heartharena) all average less than 8.

I've only played like 10 rounds so low sample size. :p

I fully admit I'm not that good. LoL

Vanillalite

If you can keep that win rate up over a hundred runs you should start streaming because you're a prodigy.

LoL I fully expect to avg like 4-5 wins. I also fully admit I got crazy RNG to my favor so far. I'm never gonna be some Hearth god. LoL

I think even in constructed when I win or lose I feel sorta like welp that RNG. It's been years, but I played Magic physical during HS and feel like it was more on me (other than the blind buy packs deal) winning or losing when playing local people.

ViviOggi

RNG plays a big role in certain constructed matchups and especially the earlier matches of an arena run so it's all about that sample size. The better players will always come out ahead in the long run, so if you're gonna invest time and nerves into thinking about specific losses the best thing to do is asking yourself what you could have done better, sometimes it's tiny details that would have led to a win. That said everyone who isn't zen master Kolento-senpai gets frustrated over bullshit from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom