• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Of course I have to play to the 1 priest on ladder teched against control while playing control warrior. Double SW Death, double holy fire, double mindcontrol, and big game hunter?

UF1mhCa.gif

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
so, the druid card 'wrath'

seems like the 1 damage draw is just there to tempt you away from making the correct decision of going with the 3 damage to minion, which druid really, really lacks

Well, if you have spell damage its good. And sometimes you want to deal 1 damage but you don't want to take face damage.

jblank83

so, the druid card 'wrath'

seems like the 1 damage draw is just there to tempt you away from making the correct decision of going with the 3 damage to minion, which druid really, really lacks

Sometimes you only need 1 damage, and in such a case card draw is valuable. Sometimes you have wrath and nothing else and even 3 damage won't matter, so the card draw is more valuable.

Card draw is valuable.

i'm starting to feel like even when the opponent has a x/1 on the board, it's frequently worth saving the wrath for an opportunity to use the 3 damage option, cause such an opportunity will inevitably present itself

on another note, ive been struggling to make a beast druid deck (kind of a futile effort, but, druid of the fang...)

i tried building it around fon/sr but that wasn't going anywhere, so i'm trying this

rHyGBZI.png

can't say it's good per se, but i've had a few incredible comebacks with it today. just had one where i got down to 2 hp against a full hp warrior (who was playing some sort of gimmicky deck, granted)

ViviOggi

Depends on what you're up against really, if you're getting pressured hard you'll have to use the 3 dmg version but against anything slow it's actually better to cycle over hero power unless you're fully content with your hand. As a Druid you will dominate the midgame with your overbudgeted drops and curve cheating cards, you just need to draw them in time. Plus it gets you closer to the ever crucial combo.

Danj

Is there a deck site that lets you search by card? Like, say I want to find all Mage decks that use Unstable Portal.

Type2

Is there a deck site that lets you search by card? Like, say I want to find all Mage decks that use Unstable Portal.
I imagine one of the curse sites might let you do that but I'm not entirely sure. Many give deck stats and stuff for in visual cards.

gutshot

Pretty sure Hearthpwn does this. Just search for the card and there is a link to all the decks that that card is in.

ViviOggi

Savjz's Hobodin almost getting countered by Aggro Pirate Warrior

What is even happening at legend right now

I don't really think of druid cards being particularly over budget, not really more than any other class. Are you just saying that druid class cards are midgame oriented?
Essentially yes, aside from Lore Druid cards are more or less on the same level as other good class cards in terms of budget. War too but he's not played that consistently. It's the breaking of the curve combined with drops like Claw and Shredder into Sylvanas, Lore, Belcher and Keeper if needed that lets you take over the board with relative ease.

Mazre

6-3 arena produced a pack with a Toshley, and on a whim I bought a classic pack which netted me a shadowform and an Al'Akir. Good day for hearthstone.

egruntz

shelaughz
When the fuck are they going to nerf Mech Mage Jesus Christ.

NOTHING but Face Hunter, Mech Mage, and Zoolock all fucking day long.
When is Blizzard going to realize that this is not an ideal state for the meta to be in. Something is wrong.

When is Blizzard going to realize that this is not an ideal state for the meta to be in. Something is wrong.

Nerfs don't really matter because people will always play aggro while the ladder system is the way it is. It rewards you for playing more games, playing faster decks allows you to play more games in less time.

tylerf

So I didn't start laddering until late this season but what happened with mage? Did someone popular start playing a mage deck with mana wyrms and a bunch of secrets? I've seen that same deck a bunch of times now around rank 6 and not even a single mech mage. It's so common I'm considering running double kezan.

KePoW

Banned

Disagree

But it seems pretty apparent that most of the regulars in this OT do not like fast agro decks, so I recognize I'm in the minority and won't push the issue

But I really have no idea why yall hate them. As a casual player who has never played any card games before, I much prefer fast games. I don't want to play matches that last more than 10 minutes. Also I have no interest in spending a bunch of time getting great or competitive... I barely play more than 2 or 3 games per day, if that

But I really have no idea why yall hate them. As a casual player who has never played any card games before, I much prefer fast games. I don't want to play matches that last more than 10 minutes. Also I have no interest in spending a bunch of time getting great or competitive... I barely play more than 2 or 3 games per day, if that
Opinion completely valid, but seeing same decks sucks anyway.

Levi

Banned
So I didn't start laddering until late this season but what happened with mage? Did someone popular start playing a mage deck with mana wyrms and a bunch of secrets? I've seen that same deck a bunch of times now around rank 6 and not even a single mech mage. It's so common I'm considering running double kezan.

Tempo mage, probably the deck Trump was laddering with a bit ago. Turn one wyrm, turn two unstable portal or a removal spell, spirals out from there.

Zemm

Disagree

But it seems pretty apparent that most of the regulars in this OT do not like fast agro decks, so I recognize I'm in the minority and won't push the issue

Personally if I'm going to lose I want it to feel like I've either been outplayed or made a mistake, losing against face hunter feels like neither. It's a really really dumb deck (as in there's no subtlety, no thinking etc) where you mostly feel hopeless and like you've actually outplayed them but still lost.

I also hate playing fatigue decks win or lose just as much. Somewhere in between is the good length for a match.

ViviOggi

Tempo mage, probably the deck Trump was laddering with a bit ago. Turn one wyrm, turn two unstable portal or a removal spell, spirals out from there.
I've seen Savjz experiment with Tempo Mage as well, people are playing some weird variants too. The other day I drew like shit with Oil Rogue and lost to this guy with Sorcerer's Apprentice, double Frostbolt/Flamecannon and Water Eles.

So basically 10+ arena

KePoW

Banned
Opinion completely valid, but seeing same decks sucks anyway.

Personally if I'm going to lose I want it to feel like I've either been outplayed or made a mistake, losing against face hunter feels like neither. It's a really really dumb deck (as in there's no subtlety, no thinking etc) where you mostly feel hopeless and like you've actually outplayed them but still lost.

I can understand some of what you're saying. And I'll honestly discuss the subject in a straightforward manner

It's totally true that there's very little thinking in the deck, but I have no problem admitting that's the exact reason why I like it! Like I mentioned, I've never played any card game before (physical or digital). My brother played Magic though and he said it was much more complicated than HS. I cannot even fathom that, because some of the control decks in HS already seem super complicated to me that requires too much thinking

Here's the part I don't understand though and want to ask yall. Seems like everyone complains about Face Hunter because they say it's super OverPowered and totally imbalanced. But I have not found that to be the case:

I got to rank 11 or 12 with no trouble. Again I'll admit that it required no thinking and I probably won literally 80% of my games to that rank. However once I got to 10 and especially 9 or 8, games because much harder. Now I win maybe 50% or 55%

So with that being the case, how is it that Face Hunter is completely OP & invincible? It does not seem like you can automatically reach highest rank of Legend just from this one deck, as everyone who complains says. Or is it just that I'm a bad Face Hunter player and you actually can?

But from my experiences, it does not seem imbalanced to me whatsoever at high ranks

Would be awesome in a way if Blizzard made nerfs/buffs every week to avoid stale meta.

You'd have weekly metas of course, but they wouldn't last long.

Levi

Banned
I've seen Savjz experiment with Tempo Mage as well, people are playing some weird variants too. The other day I drew like shit with Oil Rogue and lost to this guy with Sorcerer's Apprentice, double Frostbolt/Flamecannon and Water Eles.

So basically 10+ arena

I play trump's version when I get a mage quest, and all the tempo mages I see on ladder are pretty much card for card his version. I'll be on the look out for other variants, although I doubt they are so different my strategy would need adjustment.

I wish I had Savjz' aggro paladin two days ago when I had two simultaneous 60 gold Paladin quests. Could have knocked that out a lot faster.

Type2

I can understand some of what you're saying. And I'll honestly discuss the subject in a straightforward manner

It's totally true that there's very little thinking in the deck, but I have no problem admitting that's the exact reason why I like it! Like I mentioned, I've never played any card game before (physical or digital). My brother played Magic though and he said it was much more complicated than HS. I cannot even fathom that, because some of the control decks in HS already seem super complicated to me that requires too much thinking

Here's the part I don't understand though and want to ask yall. Seems like everyone complains about Face Hunter because they say it's super OverPowered and totally imbalanced. But I have not found that to be the case:

I got to rank 11 or 12 with no trouble. Again I'll admit that it required no thinking and I probably won literally 80% of my games to that rank. However once I got to 10 and especially 9 or 8, games because much harder. Now I win maybe 50% or 55%

So with that being the case, how is it that Face Hunter is completely OP & invincible? It does not seem like you can automatically reach highest rank of Legend just from this one deck, as everyone who complains says. Or is it just that I'm a bad Face Hunter player and you actually can?

But from my experiences, it does not seem imbalanced to me whatsoever at high ranks
I don't really have a problem with face hunter decks. If you can trade and stall the board they gas out and lose and if they win by bum rushing your ass it rewards them for taking the risk of building the deck in that direction. I'm also grateful to have a cheap deck I can craft that can stop my opponents before they drop their legendaries or combo off 20 plus points of damage in one turn. If whatever you're playing doesn't respect face hunter as part of the meta and gets overrun then so be it.
Note: I don't particularly enjoy face hunter but It was the first deck I built before moving into more interesting options. The moment a true stoopid runs into a few taunts and difficult trades they will crumble. A decent player still have to trade effectively to some degree. Yes, you can die in a few turns before you hit your decks stride but mulligan for the matchup, expect unleash the hounds and play around kill command.

Edit: I haven't been playing long so if I missed some period of repetitive trauma involving the archetype I may lack empathy for those complaining.

Zemm

I wouldn't call face hunter OP just annoying. The meta does seem to revolve around the same 1-2 classes though and everyone else reacts to them to find a counter. Hunter would be in that 1-2.

Brofist

The Hunter face deck is certainly not invincible. It's just not a fun deck to play against. Also making a deck specific to countering it means giving up on other matchups. I think there is a place for the style of deck though, and don't think the game should be only about control style matches.

I suggest you learn some of the ins and outs of other styles of decks. The game is fun when you get the hang of new decks.

KePoW

Banned
I don't really have a problem with face hunter decks. If you can trade and stall the board they gas out and lose and if they win by bum rushing your ass it rewards them for taking the risk of building the deck in that direction. I'm also grateful to have a cheap deck I can craft that can stop my opponents before they drop their legendaries or combo off 20 plus points of damage in one turn. If whatever you're playing doesn't respect face hunter as part of the meta and gets overrun then so be it.
Note: I don't particularly enjoy face hunter but It was the first deck I built before moving into more interesting options. The moment a true stoopid runs into a few taunts and difficult trades they will crumble. A decent player still have to trade effectively to some degree. Yes, you can die in a few turns before you hit your decks stride but mulligan for the matchup, expect unleash the hounds and play around kill command.

Edit: I haven't been playing long so if I missed some period of repetitive trauma involving the archetype I may lack empathy for those complaining.

I wouldn't call face hunter OP just annoying. The meta does seem to revolve around the same 1-2 classes though and everyone else reacts to them to find a counter. Hunter would be in that 1-2.

The Hunter face deck is certainly not invincible. It's just not a fun deck to play against. Also making a deck specific to countering it means giving up on other matchups. I think there is a place for the style of deck though, and don't think the game should be only about control style matches.

I suggest you learn some of the ins and outs of other styles of decks. The game is fun when you get the hang of new decks.

Ahh okay, thx for the replies

I might have misunderstood the complaints then. Sounds like yall realize it's not completely OP/invincible... just that some people don't find it fun to play against??

that's a totally different subject then

Brofist

Ahh okay, thx for the replies

I might have misunderstood the complaints then. Sounds like yall realize it's not completely OP/invincible... just that some people don't find it fun to play against??

that's a totally different subject then

It's just that there is very little interaction against face hunter. Interaction is what makes the game fun for many, not only winning.

It's just that there is very little interaction against face hunter. Interaction is what makes the game fun for many, not only winning.

To me it's about effort. If a deck consistently requires other decks draw perfectly in order to counter it or there are very few counters in general, it's probably overpowered.

ViviOggi

While anyone can streak their way into single digit ranks due to the deck's consistency Face Hunter actually does require some knowledge of the meta and certain rules of play to get to legend. What makes it so unsatisfying to play against is that it's a coin flip for the most part: you draw your early answers to stop the bleeding or you don't and get overrun within four turns. There is hardly any room for decision making while the Hunter can go full SMOrc and still mindlessly topdick lethal when you just needed to survive that one turn to stabilize forever. You simply don't get to play the game.

It's very much like Zoo at its peak in that regard where you'd regularly get rekt by total knobheads disrespecting even basic positioning just because you didn't get your Fiery War Axe/Circle/taunt givers in time.

KePoW

Banned
While anyone can streak their way into single digit ranks due to the deck's consistency Face Hunter actually does require some knowledge of the meta and certain rules of play to get to legend. What makes it so unsatisfying to play against is that it's a coin flip for the most part: you draw your early answers to stop the bleeding or you don't and get overrun within four turns. There is hardly any room for decision making while the Hunter can go full SMOrc and still mindlessly topdick lethal when you just needed to survive that one turn to stabilize forever. You simply don't get to play the game.

It's very much like Zoo at its peak in that regard where you'd regularly get rekt by total knobheads disrespecting even basic positioning just because you didn't get your Fiery War Axe/Circle/taunt givers in time.

This seems consistent to my experience. like I said, now that I'm in the single-digit ranks I only win 50% of my games now

I just didn't understand why regulars in here thought that was OP

Cat Party

I don't think there's anything wrong with aggro decks, but it's a bummer to have so many opponents who are just using some deck they found on a stream or on a site. But I don't think there's anything Blizzard can do about it. Nerf one deck, another takes its place. Many if not most players are content to use someone else's deck.

I do wish there was a second ladder with a deck budget, to force people to make more creative decks and give those of us who have fledgling collections a better chance to compete at higher levels. I've managed my way up to rank 11 with a Shaman deck with no legendaries or epics, and I'm going for 10, but I feel like I just can't compete with some of these 8000 dust decks that I keep running into.

Note that my opinion will likely change if I open a pack that has a useful legendary for once.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
PxuIrJO.jpg

Dat feel when you top deck a savage roar for the motherfucking win with only 2 HP! I got zapomatic from a shredder but any 1 attack minion would have done the job. This is why Druid is the best.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anyone has a good deck to beat sapphiron on heroic mode?

Basically Face Hunter but with extra removal and misdirection.

I felt like he was the toughest fight on heroic, even harder than Kel'thuzad, so you'll have multiple attempts for sure.

Kettch

I actually enjoy playing against face hunter with my no healing shaman deck. Have enough taunts to make a nice wall, enough burst to wreck them when I survive and there aren't many better feelings than hexxing your own minion to stop a wolf rider from killing you and taking them out on the following turn.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dat feel when you top deck a savage roar for the motherfucking win with only 2 HP! I got zapomatic from a shredder but any 1 attack minion would have done the job. This is why Druid is the best.

Don't you mean that's why druid is the worst?

I'm still salty about that combo until I find the dust to make it myself and probably find out why it's not so great after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom