• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

iirate

Face hunter and other aggro decks are more difficult to play well then people care to admit.

Definitely. Not everyone could do Xixo's monthly aggro legend run, for example. I think it's a better argument that they aren't necessarily fun to play against, but the people that call aggro auto-pilot don't know how aggro works themselves. Overall(and this is a big generalization), I'd call midrange the easiest archetype to play well, but maybe I'm only saying that because I mostly play midrange. =P

At the very least, something like ramp or combo druid is simpler than any aggro deck I know of. Aggro decks are traditionally the easiest entry point for new players into the game(although I'd like to see more cheap midrange/control deck options surface as the game grows). Aggro is also necessary to keep the game from devolving into super greedy control decks smashing into each other. Aggro is already the least represented archetype at high levels of play too. The only big issue I see with aggro in Hearthstone is ladder encouraging it so much. If Blizzard can close the gap between faster and slower decks on ladder, there wouldn't be an issue.

tylerf

Whenever I try to play face hunter to do hunter quests I always lose way more games than if I just played midrange hunter. Always feels like I'm running out of steam too soon.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I try to play face hunter to do hunter quests I always lose way more games than if I just played midrange hunter. Always feels like I'm running out of steam too soon.

With hard aggro, like face hunter, once you start playing against players that are decent or better at the game it really forces you to tune your deck more and more. 1-2 card swapped out can mean life or death. You have to rely on winrate vs the current meta to consistently gain rank. The deck itself might not be "hard" to play, but it isn't as easy as copying down a list from online and then suddenly gaining 5 ranks (maybe you could do this from 20->15, but above 15 I doubt you can get far without a lot of understanding in the deck).

I find it a good idea to play all types of decks for this exact reason. When you know how a deck type operates it helps you when you play against it. The consequence is that I end up losing a lot while learning. You win some, you lose some.

Dahbomb

Face Hunter itself is not OP. It's just really powerful in the current meta where stuff like Fast/Combo Druid, Mech Mage, Oil Rogue and Midrange Hunter are so prominent. Face Hunter destroys Midrange Hunter, it's pretty free barring some great draws/answers from the Midrange Hunter.

The deck is super easy to counter if you know it's coming the problem is that then you would be free to all the other decks out there. That's also why it's not that easy to get Legend with it because people at that stage are ready for it. You also need some skill to play it, you can't always over commit with the deck.

Face Hunter is just really fucking annoying to play against. Like said before, if they get a good hand and you don't it's GG in 4-5 turns. Even if you have a "counter" deck you can still get run over if your answers don't come in time. It feels like playing a coin toss although I guess that's Hearthstone in a nutshell (hurr hurr).

More than half way in collecting all the gold for Blackrock Mountain expansion.

KePoW

Banned
Face Hunter itself is not OP. It's just really powerful in the current meta where stuff like Fast/Combo Druid, Mech Mage, Oil Rogue and Midrange Hunter are so prominent. Face Hunter destroys Midrange Hunter, it's pretty free barring some great draws/answers from the Midrange Hunter.

This is true -- I literally don't think I lost a single game to midrange Hunter on the way from 25 to 10

The best is Face Hunter to Face Hunter. I played one last night where the game literally lasted two minutes from the first played card. Neither one of us attacked a single minion, it was fucking hilarious. Even though I lost by 1 HP, I was laughing so hard the entire game. I love that

But anyway, thanks to everyone for the straight talk about Face Hunters. Now I understand what yall are saying. It's not that they are OP / invincible

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When will we get more deck slots? :(

Job's done.

The deck is super easy to counter if you know it's coming the problem is that then you would be free to all the other decks out there. That's also why it's not that easy to get Legend with it because people at that stage are ready for it. You also need some skill to play it, you can't always over commit with the deck.

Face Hunter is just really fucking annoying to play against. Like said before, if they get a good hand and you don't it's GG in 4-5 turns. Even if you have a "counter" deck you can still get run over if your answers don't come in time. It feels like playing a coin toss although I guess that's Hearthstone in a nutshell (hurr hurr).

More than half way in collecting all the gold for Blackrock Mountain expansion.

I understand that perspective but it is the only current build I see that breaks Hearthstone's core idea of being a minion based card game. Face builds have always been nerfed and I expect the same with some part of face hunter in the future. It really comes down the penalty for early charge not being larger, along with cheep huffers 33% of the time. Your 4/2 Arcane penalty is pretty meaningless when it is the finisher.

I agree face hunter is hard to play. I played a face hunter tonight who played a turn three wolf rider... and didn't attack with it.

With more practice, they'll figure it out.

bjaelke

:)

I would be in so much trouble if hearthstone had an iPhone 6 client.

when

They showcased the UI for the upcoming mobile version at GDC 2 weeks ago.

Q: How much time do you expect the creation of the Hearthstone UI for phones to take and do you have any planned release date? This quarter, next quarter?
A: Umm... Soon? Next couple months is what I can say. It's pretty far along, and it's looking pretty awesome.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Do people here generally make original decks? Hit level 60 on priest and realised at no point have I made an original deck to get this high, dont feel too bad about it personally, but seems a bit strange.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do people here generally make original decks? Hit level 60 on priest and realised at no point have I made an original deck to get this high, dont feel too bad about it personally, but seems a bit strange.

I've yet to look up a deck. I've posted my own deck in this thread for opinions, but generally it's all me.

Granted you can kinda tell from playing what works and what doesn't. So a lot of people will have similar decks regardless if it is a net deck or not.

sibarraz

Banned

In card games generally at high level people tend to copy other decks since meta leads to that

Still, I made some changes to those copied decks that imo makes them better so I don't feel that bad about it

Speaking of copying decks I used this one to finally beat saphiron on heroic

http://es.hearthhead.com/deck=73582/heroic-sapphiron-druid-first-try-win-budget

I lost with it 2 times, then I decided to make some changes and got it at the first try with my new deck.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wqZ7z8G/new

I won after him was stealing cards that dealt 7 damage to him, plus I saved a wolfrider and an arcane golem plus I destroyed one of them with naturalize to make him 20 damage in one turn

ViviOggi

I generally stick to established shells but experiment with replacements and tech choices. Tried to make Mech Rogue work when GvG came out but the cards for a competitive deck are just not there.

Sande

A turn 2 mad bomber just killed my shielded minibot that I coined out on turn 1. I think the chances of that are 3,7%. Normally that shit is like whatever but it was in arena. That's why I don't really like playing arena; all the RNG bullshit is way more frustrating.

Dahbomb

Aside from my Midrange Hunter, most of my decks are variations of existing deck archetypes. That's also because I usually don't have the necessary Legendaries.

Really though even when I go to make completely "original" decks... they end up being very similar to existing decks. Like how the hell are you going to make a Hunter deck and not have shit like 2x Kill Command, Animal Companion, UTH in them? Like I made a control Priest deck and it ended up looking an awful like the Control Priest deck most people use these days.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally jumped on this bandwagon, and so far my favorite is Rogue, with Warlock and Druid close behind.

Does anyone know of an iOS app (or a website) that actually lets you catalogue the cards you own? I'd like to experiment with deck building, but sometimes it's annoying having to deal with all of the cards being available. I'd rather just fiddle with the cards that I know I possess.

ViviOggi

Wanna know what's an overbudgeted card? Motherfucking Trade PRINCE Gallywix. Thankfully he's restricted to Rogue because he'd be so outrageously op in Druid.

Dude's been doing work against Midrange Paladin and all these cancerous Tempo Mages, he straight up overloads people's brains. I still find Oil Rogue overrated though.

gutshot

In the past I would typically net deck with maybe a few tweaks. This season I decided to try only original decks and have made it as high as rank 11 playing mostly a mid-range beast Hunter and a little bit of mech Rogue.

Azzurri

How well does Priest do in the meta?

I've been watching a decent amount of priest on Twitch and if played by a good player they're really strong.

Wanna know what's an overbudgeted card? Motherfucking Trade PRINCE Gallywix. Thankfully he's restricted to Rogue because he'd be so outrageously op in Druid.

Dude's been doing work against Midrange Paladin and all these cancerous Tempo Mages, he straight up overloads people's brains. I still find Oil Rogue overrated though.

I had a Mage pull Gallywix from Unstable Portal last night. Damn thing stuck around forever, and then he got a new one off of Kel Thuzad. I managed to get rid of all of it without giving him a spell, and then finished him with a top decked Azure Drake that drew Lava Burst to go along with the Crackle I'd been saving all match.

Played like 6 matches on ranked last night and all were playing priest (wasn't the same guy either- I checked). Is control priest gaining traction? Usually I get a nice smattering of classes with 6 matches but it was literally the same identical priest deck (Auchenai soulpriest, wild pyromancer, sylvanas etc..). I thought priest wasn't super viable in this meta?

So as we wait for more cards, I've had an idea rolling around in my head for awhile. Forgot if I had posted it before though, so apologies for possible redundancy;

Spell Steal: Mage: Cost: 2
Take the special effect of an enemy minion and put it on one of yours until next turn.

When I say special effects, I only mean the lightning bolt things. No death rattles or buffs. Examples, a Paladin plays a Knife Juggler on 2 mana while you have a Mana Wyrm up. You spell steal the effect and play a second 1 cost minion. The Wyrm would then fire a knife. As well, say the Paladin plays Muster on 3. Nothing would happen since the Juggler is missing the effect.

However, there wouldn't be lasting effects. Say you spell steal a Gurubashi Beserker's effect and ping your minion. On your next turn, it would lose that +3 attack. Instead, if it's an effect that hits other minions, it'll stay.

I'm not sure about the cost or strength. I think 2 is a good cost so you can combo things, but then value shoots way up as time goes on and stronger minions enter play. I think it'd also be worthwhile to try it cost a lot more, but steal entire card text. A temporary silence so to speak.

ViviOggi

I had a Mage pull Gallywix from Unstable Portal last night. Damn thing stuck around forever, and then he got a new one off of Kel Thuzad. I managed to get rid of all of it without giving him a spell, and then finished him with a top decked Azure Drake that drew Lava Burst to go along with the Crackle I'd been saving all match.
Turn 3 Gallywix, the Druid experience

Played like 6 matches on ranked last night and all were playing priest (wasn't the same guy either- I checked). Is control priest gaining traction? Usually I get a nice smattering of classes with 6 matches but it was literally the same identical priest deck (Auchenai soulpriest, wild pyromancer, sylvanas etc..). I thought priest wasn't super viable in this meta?
It has decent to good matchups vs Mech Mage, Druid and Huntard as long as you don't go super slow control mode and run Shadow Madness/Recombo/Shrink/Cabal combos plus 2 Naarus which double as a combo card vs midrange/control and emergency healing vs aggro.

Type2

Are shaman decks pretty rare? I feel like I never run into any these days. Is the hero power to random? The entry deck budget to high? Or does the class just not fit into the meta well?

For all I know they might show up at higher ranks but I certainly only see them once in a blue moon. I really like their spells, legendaries and class flavor. I'm just curious why you think they are so underrepresented.

Special C

Well I did the right thing and crafted 2 Preps and 2 Ancient of Lores instead of another Legendary. Now I can finally play Rogue and Druid decks. I'm still salty about never getting either in a pack after all this time. Finally have all the essential class epics (except Ice Block but I refuse to play Freeze mage anyway).

Are shaman decks pretty rare? I feel like I never run into any these days. Is the hero power to random? The entry deck budget to high? Or does the class just not fit into the meta well?

For all I know they might show up at higher ranks but I certainly only see them once in a blue moon. I really like their spells, legendaries and class flavor. I'm just curious why you think they are so underrepresented.

I've been playing Mech Shaman for most of the month. It's gotten me from around rank 13 or 14 down to rank 4. I'm hoping to hit Legend for the first time before the end of the month. I rarely see any other Shamans on the ladder, though. It's mostly Hunters, Paladins, and Druids with occassional Handlocks, Control Warriors, Oil Rogues, and whatever Mage deck is popular right now (haven't seen many Mech Mages lately). I've seen a few Priests crop up the last few days, but Shaman is really rare.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Now I need a deck to beat kelthuzad on heroic, tried with priest but is no case, when he activates his final ability im done

Control Paladin is pretty good against him, I feel. Heal through the pain.

It has decent to good matchups vs Mech Mage, Druid and Huntard as long as you don't go super slow control mode and run Shadow Madness/Recombo/Shrink/Cabal combos plus 2 Naarus which double as a combo card vs midrange/control and emergency healing vs aggro.

Yeah I noticed...Played two matches with my midrange hunter deck and both priests just slow played me to death. Luckily my tempo mage was a good counter. Really though, it's probably more that I haven't really grinded through ranked yet but seeing the same deck 6 times was something that never happened to me before.

On the topic of midrange hunter, I feel like the deck largely plays itself. There doesn't seem to be that many decisions to make since everything just kinda synergizes so well.

ViviOggi

I don't remember a time where Shaman wasn't the definition of a middling class. The cancerous variants people keep finding range from okay (Mech Shaman) to gimmicky crap (Reincarnate with Feugen/Stalagg). Don't even get me started on Blizzard's tremendous brain fart that is Murloc Shaman, at least Neptulon is better than Leviathan I guess. So after a new deck has had its 5 minutes of fame we see most of the few existing Shaman players go back to the standard version which only shines vs Handlock but gets absolutely rekt by Hunter, which is obviously a no-go for laddering. It has its place as a pocket class in tournaments though.

Personally I can't stand the RNG incorporated in key spells and even the goddamn hero power, and overload as a mechanic does little more than annoy.

ViviOggi

Tempostorm's website got hacked.

Ve5yRvj.jpg

ViviOggi

Face Hunter mirror is the most hilarious shit, they all like
WE WILL NEVER DO TRADES
and don't mulligan for 1-drop/2-drop with coin

I've seen that Kripp salt picture a bunch of times and only noticed today who was in the background. Lol.

Truly a work of art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom