• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
any chance of a discount in naxxramas due to the release of BM?

AQaIVtr.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I always recommend Face Hunter to new players. It's even cheaper cost than Midrange Hunter and very effective

Starting off the game with Face Hunter creates bad habits. You don't want to train people to face-face-face at the start because 90% of decks don't work like this.

Thing is though, if I shouldn't care about rank, are you suggesting I should become one of those people who concedes every other game in order to stay the same rank? Because that seems really weird, and there seems to be a lot of those out there - I run into at least one or two every time I play.

No. Those people who are insta-conceding are bullying low ranks in order to grind for gold portraits.Just play normally and let your rank fall where it may. You get better at the game by playing with people at your level. You won't learn anything staying at Rank 20.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Double Kel'Thuzad players shouldn't be in rank 18-20.

Probably conceding every other game. Blizzard really needs to put the hammer down on those types of players.

Kel sucks

Double Kel decks aren't great, but it's still probably better than what most people in that rank should be facing. I was facing that deck up to like rank 8.

clav

Kel sucks

Seems like a good card with deathrattle minions.

If players matched their boards, this card can easily make the battle one-sided.

Pair it with Sludge Belcher, and you can pretty much win when you know your opponents has no more silences.

ViviOggi

I think KT has proven his worth in recent months but he's still a niche card for Druid or super slow control decks. Reincarnate Shaman is a dumb gimmick deck.

Probably, they really should though. I seriously wouldn't want to start from scratch now between Classic (w/o arena packs), GvG, Naxx and BRM. The smartest move would have been a bundle of both adventures for around 34€, which would be the same as a Naxx discount but gets new-ish players to commit to an early real money purchase of BRM.

The fabled new player experience remains Blizz's favorite excuse but they're doing fuck all to actually improve it. Golden portrait farmers are a worse epidemic than the botters used to be.

Seems like a good card with deathrattle minions.

If players matched their boards, this card can easily make the battle one-sided.

Pair it with Sludge Belcher, and you can pretty much win when you know your opponents has no more silences.

Kel's too slow. The odds are if you're playing him on a big board you were going to win anyway.

Assassinate
Hex
Polymorph
Shield Slam (with enough armour) or Whirlwind + Execute or Cruel Taskmaster + BGH
Shadow Word: Death
Naturalize
Siphon Soul
Equality + Consecrate (or Equality + Wild Pyro)
Hunter's Mark + Arcane Shot

And most of those are basics or commons. I'll never understand the fetish so many players have for silences. I have a deck for almost all classes and the only silence I run is Keeper of the Grove in Druid. Maybe I'll tech a Hoot Hoot into CW or Handlock depending on the meta.

clav

Kel's too slow. The odds are if you're playing him on a big board you were going to win anyway.

Assassinate
Hex
Polymorph
Shield Slam (with enough armour) or Whirlwind + Execute or Cruel Taskmaster + BGH
Naturalize
Siphon Soul

And most of those are basics or commons. I'll never understand the fetish so many players have for silences. I have a deck for almost all classes and the only silence I run is Keeper of the Grove in Druid. Maybe I'll tech a Hoot Hoot into CW or Handlock depending on the meta.

What do you do when you don't have those cards in your hand?

Go for face?

Danj

It's not that you shouldn't care, it's that there's no incentive to care because Blizzard's rewards structure is crap. Because there's no rewards for going from 20 to Legend

Oh. Well, but I thought with the end of the season coming up, trying to get a higher rank was worthwhile, as you seem to get the card that corresponds to your rank at the end of the season? Or are they just not worth having?

IMO, you should only craft when you have a deck in mind that you want to build and you are missing key cards to make it work. Dust doesn't have an expiry date. If you're building Tempo Mage (I'm not saying you are

I had to look up what this was, but it does look fun. However there are a lot of cards in there that I just don't have, not just the legendaries but some of the others. I'm pretty sure I don't have Ice Lance, Flamecannon or Duplicate, and I only have one of some of the others. Is there maybe something in between basic mage and that, that I would actually have the cards for? EDIT: yeah I have just checked and I only have 14 of the 30 cards needed for that.

it's just what I'm laddering with so it's what comes to mind), you'll need Azure Drakes, Kirin Tor Mages and Unstable Portals which are all rares. Then you'll need some secrets, in mine I play Counterspell (rare) and Mirror Entity (common). If I didn't have these, I would craft them, because IMO Legendaries are great but they are finishers and if you don't have the rares and epics they don't matter. There's lots of streamers who played with full decks of Legendaries if you want to see the stupidly excessive version of this problem.

Legendaries are a whole other problem. I use Dr Boom, Rag and Loatheb but I was lucky to pull the first two from packs and the first wing of Naxx was free back last summer. They take a long time to save up for, and new players get caught up about them. I think this is both because they have their own music and animations (meaning they stick in your mind more) and because the best Legendaries provide a huge tempo swing meaning they can be used to come from behind and win games you have no right to win. Personally, I would only worry about Legendaries until I had a solid core of cards. If I was a new player, I'd probably craft Dr Boom if I lucked into a gold Legendary though since he works in almost everything. The Naxx and Blackrock cards are tougher since the gold needed is way too much. Honestly, I would always buy adventures with cash but I realise that isn't feasible for people either because they don't have the scratch or they are F2P players.

Is buying the adventures the most cost-efficient thing I could do if I was prepared to put some money into the game? That's to say, does it give the most bang for the least bucks? Here both Naxxramas and Blackrock are £17.49 ($26.15) each, which seems a bit steep. I could get 15 packs for less than that (£13.99/$20.92), though even that seems a little bit much.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Assassinate
Hex
Polymorph
Naturalize
Siphon Soul

Most good 7+ mana minions are going to be completely countered by those things, outside of Dr. Balance.

And one Owl can be great against Sylvanus, Tirion, Savana Highmane, Twilight Drake, Piloted Sky Golem, Piloted Shredder, Belcher, and any taunts when you're threatening lethal. It also works great to counter Mirror Entity.

I keep running into a lot of amateur paladins who think their deck is supposed to play like face hunter in the paladin mirror. Seriously, they have no clue how to play the match up. They even try to coin out knife juggler like that is worth it. Even if I don't have shielded minibot, the KJ is likely to just eat a consecration. This particular dude kept going face, then KT punished the fuck out of him. And then I dropped tirion and killed him from 30 hp the next turn. lol

Hearthstone_Screenshot_3_21_2015_16_56_18.png

What in gods green earth did you just link? I have no idea what that video said other than magicamy doesn't exist.

Watch the whole thing, its just a spoof on the whole magic amy thing.

Oh. Well, but I thought with the end of the season coming up, trying to get a higher rank was worthwhile, as you seem to get the card that corresponds to your rank at the end of the season? Or are they just not worth having?

You don't get cards for ranking up, just this month's card back if you hit at least rank 20. The only other reward you get is starting at a higher rank next month.

ZealousD

You get a card back for getting Rank 20 or higher. That's it. You do get a card back for hitting Legend, but it's the same cardback everytime and you're a long ways away from Legend.

Is buying the adventures the most cost-efficient thing I could do if I was prepared to put some money into the game? That's to say, does it give the most bang for the least bucks? Here both Naxxramas and Blackrock are £17.49 ($26.15) each, which seems a bit steep. I could get 15 packs for less than that (£13.99/$20.92), though even that seems a little bit much.

Yes. It is so much better to spend real money on the adventure modes than anything else. I have a video I did in the OP where I explain gold, arcane dust, and real money spending. I think it might be worth watching for you.

Danj

You don't get cards for ranking up, just this month's card back if you hit at least rank 20. The only other reward you get is starting at a higher rank next month.

That's weird, I could swear I got a South Sea Deckhand from last season as I was Rank 20.

You get a card back for getting Rank 20 or higher. That's it. You do get a card back for hitting Legend, but it's the same cardback everytime and you're a long ways away from Legend.

Yes. It is so much better to spend real money on the adventure modes than anything else. I have a video I did in the OP where I explain gold, arcane dust, and real money spending. I think it might be worth watching for you.

OK, watching it now, thanks.

ZealousD

That's weird, I could swear I got a South Sea Deckhand from last season as I was Rank 20.

Southsea Deckhand is the name for Rank 21. You probably got enough bonus stars from getting Rank 20 that it rolled you into Rank 21 for the next season. You do not get cards from ranking up.

There are no bonus rewards for ranking up over Rank 20 except for the card back at Legend, and maybe qualifying for Blizzcon if you're at the very, very top. No cards, No gold. No dust. Just bonus stars that may start you up at a higher rank than normal on the next season.

KePoW

Banned
And one Owl can be great against Sylvanus, Tirion, Savana Highmane, Twilight Drake, Piloted Sky Golem, Piloted Shredder, Belcher, and any taunts when you're threatening lethal. It also works great to counter Mirror Entity.

how does Owl counter Mirror Entity?

I just had a classic control paladin vs control warrior match. 23 turns and a complete blow out by me. When you have BGH for rag, healbot + aldor for alex, humility + kelthuzad + tirion to block gromm... you feel invincible vs control warrior. I mean, I just have too many answers. Dr boom? I could have just aldor'd but I figure since I had BGH for rag already, humility+aldor for both gromm+alex, tirion on deck to be played if necessary... shit was just a blow out in the slowest way possible. Sitting at 82% win rate vs warrior with this paladin deck.

How do you craft golden webspinners?

In crafting mode, hit show only golden cards.

What do you do when you don't have those cards in your hand?

Go for face?

If he drops a naked Kel'Thuzad and I'm close to lethal I'm going to ignore it more often that not. If I'm playing Mage, I can always Fireball and trade a 2-drop for him.

You could apply "But what if I don't draw it?" to ANY card in the game and it's a daft way to approach the game unless you are a Yu-Gi-Oh protagonist. What if you don't draw Dr Balance and have nothing on Turn 7? What if you don't draw Fireball when you need it for lethal? What if Webspinner gives you Jungle Panther when you want King Krush?

The earliest most classes can play Kel is Turn 7 with the Coin (Druids can Innervate or Wild Growth of course). If they have the coin, I'll have drawn 10 cards without any draw cycling.

From this Reddit thread:

For example, if you are a mage and you are going first, the chances of you having a mana wyrm (assuming you have 2 in your deck and you are going first i.e. drawing 4 cards total) in your opening hand is 25%. This is calculated this way: (28 / 30) * (27 / 29) * (26 / 28) * (25 / 27), which is actually the odds of NOT drawing a mana wrym, and then subtracting that value from 1 to get the odds of drawing it. I created a javascript object which can calculate this for you (code blow), and here are some of the interesting results:

Chance of having a specific card (2 / 30) on turn 1 going first: 25%

Chance of having a specific card on turn 1 going second: 31%

If you have 8 cards that cost 2 mana, the chance of drawing at least 1 of them by turn 2 is 82% going first or 87% going second.

If you have 2 argent commanders, the chance of drawing 1 of them by turn 6 is 52% going first or 56% going second.

If you have 1 Ysera, the chance of drawing it by turn 9 is about 40%.

So more than half the time, I will have the card I need. That's without any drawing power like Northshire, Arcane Intellect, Azure Drake, etc. And if you're playing an aggro deck, which I end up doing more often these days because I was fed up of giving people free wins by trying to play control at Rank 20, by Turn 7 I should be looking for lethal. The other guy would have to play a Belcher before he could drop Kel'Thuzad to get any value for it, and if he plays it after I'm probably going to lose anyway so it doesn't change that fact.

Kel's a bad card in Constructed because it's easier to draw your answers to him. He's a great Arena pick though.

egruntz

shelaughz
Everyone keeps saying that Control Warrior beats Oil Rogue hands down, but I cannot for the life of me beat this fucking deck. Lost to it 6 times today.

What the fuck

ZealousD

I just had a classic control paladin vs control warrior match. 23 turns and a complete blow out by me. When you have BGH for rag, healbot + aldor for alex, humility + kelthuzad + tirion to block gromm... you feel invincible vs control warrior. I mean, I just have too many answers. Dr boom? I could have just aldor'd but I figure since I had BGH for rag already, humility+aldor for both gromm+alex, tirion on deck to be played if necessary... shit was just a blow out in the slowest way possible. Sitting at 82% win rate vs warrior with this paladin deck.

Yeah Control Paladin is heavily favored against Control Warrior. You have so many tools to shut down their win conditions. I bet Shieldmaiden may have made it a slightly better matchup than it used to be, though.

Control Paladin isn't particularly strong in the current meta, though. I think Midrange Paladin is in a better spot.

Everyone keeps saying that Control Warrior beats Oil Rogue hands down, but I cannot for the life of me beat this fucking deck. Lost to it 6 times today.

What the fuck

You probably aren't armoring up enough. Oil Rogue has a finite amount of damage so armor keeps your head above water until the rogue runs out. Your weapons should be enough to keep the rogue's skimpy board clear and you won't be building up a particularly large board yourself for blade flurry to do that much damage.

Danj

Southsea Deckhand is the name for Rank 21. You probably got enough bonus stars from getting Rank 20 that it rolled you into Rank 21 for the next season. You do not get cards from ranking up.

There are no bonus rewards for ranking up over Rank 20 except for the card back at Legend, and maybe qualifying for Blizzcon if you're at the very, very top. No cards, No gold. No dust. Just bonus stars that may start you up at a higher rank than normal on the next season.

Ohhh, okay, I guess that was it.

I've been watching your video, and while your gold-to-real-money equivalency thing makes a lot of sense, what it doesn't tell me is what if any cards I would gain by buying Naxxramas. If I buy a pack, I know that I will get 5 cards, and I know that some or all of them may not be of any use to me as a Mage, but what's the card situation for the adventures?

KePoW

Banned

I've been watching your video, and while your gold-to-real-money equivalency thing makes a lot of sense, what it doesn't tell me is what if any cards I would gain by buying Naxxramas. If I buy a pack, I know that I will get 5 cards, and I know that some or all of them may not be of any use to me as a Mage, but what's the card situation for the adventures?

You get specific fixed cards for beating each boss in Naxx

Several of them are very useful

Yeah Control Paladin is heavily favored against Control Warrior. You have so many tools to shut down their win conditions. I bet Shieldmaiden may have made it a slightly better matchup than it used to be, though.

Control Paladin isn't particularly strong in the current meta, though. I think Midrange Paladin is in a better spot.

Control paladin is in a great spot. Way better than midrange imo. Between midrange and control atm, since I play both, my control has a 71% winrate vs 58% - about equal amount of matches played (30-35 each). I also believe Trump hit legend rank 1 with a control pally deck.

What the fuck

It isn't hands down. More like 60/40 in favor of the control warrior. When oil rogue was new and people weren't playing it right it was more like 90/10 favoring control warrior so that is where you probably got the impression. It has also had some changes that have made it better vs control decks like pilotted shredder and dropping some remove spells or adding dr. boom (stupid include imo but dr. boom is dr. balanced so I guess not that stupid).

I've played the match up a lot from the rogue perspective and I think I have had extra success due to my own changes to the deck which include cutting ERF and adding gallywix, among a few other smaller changes like 1 less fan of knives in favor of autobarber.

You can buy 15 packs, but you're praying to the RNG gods to give you the good stuff. You might luck out, you might get shite. I've had it both ways. I bought 55 packs for Christmas and got 1 Legendary. I bought the same amount of packs for my birthday and got seven Legendaries including Sylvanas, Cairne (who was top tier at the time) and a gold Tirion.

Buying Naxx is like buying a Deck Builder's Toolkit or similar in a physical CCG. You are paying extra for a guaranteed set of cards (provided you can beat the bosses of course, but they are all beatable with just the basic set). All the wings have good to great cards (you also get two of each except the Legendaries):

Wing 1 - Haunted Creeper, Nerubian Egg
Wing 2 - Belcher, Loatheb
Wing 3 - Spectral Knight
Wing 4 - Mad Scientist, Zombie Chow
Wing 5 - Shade of Naxx

All considered to be good cards generally and will improve a lot of decks. If you're gonna spend any money, buy Naxx first IMO.

egruntz

shelaughz

You probably aren't armoring up enough. Oil Rogue has a finite amount of damage so armor keeps your head above water until the rogue runs out. Your weapons should be enough to keep the rogue's skimpy board clear and you won't be building up a particularly large board yourself for blade flurry to do that much damage.

Nope. Armoring every single turn I can. It doesn't make that much of a difference. It's really only +1 armor each turn since Oil Rogue isn't doing anything in the first five rounds besides hero powering and reacting to your board, which CW doesn't have.

"Finite" amount of damage....Eh, sure, but it's still massive. Spell damage added to the spells is what makes it difficult as fuck. +6 damage just from the 2 mana spell is insane.

And as far as keeping armor goes, if I'm using weapons to clear her board, it's gonna deplete the armor anyway lol. Can't win

ZealousD

You get 30 cards from Naxxramas. 6 of which are legendaries. Getting the cards from Naxxramas is extremely important. There are some cards like Mad Scientist, Haunted Creeper, Sludge Belcher, and Loatheb which are must haves. Naxxramas is the only way you can obtain these cards.

ZealousD

Control paladin is in a great spot. Way better than midrange imo. Between midrange and control atm, since I play both, my control has a 71% winrate vs 58% - about equal amount of matches played (30-35 each). I also believe Trump hit legend rank 1 with a control pally deck.

I consider Trump's deck to still be midrange. You don't really become Control Paladin until you swap the Knife Jugglers for a Wild Pyro and you have more high end threats like Kelthuzad and Piloted Sky Golem.

ViviOggi

I've played the match up a lot from the rogue perspective and I think I have had extra success due to my own changes to the deck which include cutting ERF and adding gallywix, among a few other smaller changes like 1 less fan of knives in favor of autobarber.

I'm totally trying out Gallywix in Oil Rogue, such a cool card.

Danj

You get 30 cards from Naxxramas. 6 of which are legendaries. Getting the cards from Naxxramas is extremely important. There are some cards like Mad Scientist, Haunted Creeper, Sludge Belcher, and Loatheb which are must haves. Naxxramas is the only way you can obtain these cards.

Some of those cards are on the list in that Tempo Mage deck, I hadn't realised that the only way to get them was to buy Naxxramas. I'll sleep on it, then tomorrow morning I'll think about spending real money on Naxxramas and Blackrock (might as well get Blackrock now, it'll be another 30 cards presumably when it comes out next month).

Though I notice on this page which has a bunch of info on Blackrock it says you need to have all 9 heroes "unlocked"... does that mean you have to unlock all the basic cards for all the classes? I've done that for mage but haven't really done that for anything else.

Some of those cards are on the list in that Tempo Mage deck, I hadn't realised that the only way to get them was to buy Naxxramas. I'll sleep on it, then tomorrow morning I'll think about spending real money on Naxxramas and Blackrock (might as well get Blackrock now, it'll be another 30 cards presumably when it comes out next month).

Though I notice on this page which has a bunch of info on Blackrock it says you need to have all 9 heroes "unlocked"... does that mean you have to unlock all the basic cards for all the classes? I've done that for mage but haven't really done that for anything else.

You just have to beat all of them in a match once. You can do this by playing against the AI. You also get 100 gold for beating them all, plus another 100 if you do it against the Expert-level AI (they just get better cards, they're still dumb as rocks).

gutshot

Unlocking all the heroes just consists of beating every class in Normal mode at least once. You don't have to level each class to 10 (although you should do that at some point since I believe you get 100 gold for it).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Armoring every single turn I can. It doesn't make that much of a difference. It's really only +1 armor each turn since Oil Rogue isn't doing anything in the first five rounds besides hero powering and reacting to your board, which CW doesn't have.

"Finite" amount of damage....Eh, sure, but it's still massive. Spell damage added to the spells is what makes it difficult as fuck. +6 damage just from the 2 mana spell is insane.

And as far as keeping armor goes, if I'm using weapons to clear her board, it's gonna deplete the armor anyway lol. Can't win

It's mostly 3 attack minions with a usual max of 5, your health can handle that.

Shield Block and Shield Maiden can restore 5 damage each with added benefits, so I wouldn't complain about the two 4 damage cards Rogue has.

Eviscerate and Tinker Oil are the only cards that can really stack a lot of damage quickly, which combine for 20 damage maximum. Make it through those 4 cards, and you pretty much win, and there's a lot of ways for Warrior to survive past that point.

With Oil Rogue in order to judge the value of a play, you really have to think about it in terms of the number of options used up, not in terms of mana or cards used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom