• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed1979

Sigh Arena after 5 wins gets tough...

that's actually his 2nd and 3rd and Archmage and had one in hand

VUW9afe.jpg
/sigh

I'm not entirely sure how many fireballs he had in his hand at the end...

clav

Paladin sucks in constructed.

I think I only got to Rank 8 because I faced a bunch of Face Hunters.

Anyone else though, lol.

So don't worry too much about Hunter & Warlock hero powers overshadowing the other classes. Plenty of cards have come out that more than help balance the options.
Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it. Hopefully more interesting things come forward as things progress. I wouldn't sayI'm worried though, I just play whatever madness possesses me at the time. I'm more interested in all of it on a game design level. Granted, you can never predict how things turn out when people play your game.

Just played vs a mill druid in tavern brawl that used poison seeds in order to flood your hand with bananas

He still lost but I thought it was super clever

Dahbomb

Hyped for Challengestone tomorrow. I hope we see some crazy rules!

Please Kripp da gawd ban all cards with the "random" in them. Woukd automatically be the best Hearthstone tournament ever.

Pooya

Sigh Arena after 5 wins gets tough...

that's actually his 2nd and 3rd and Archmage and had one in hand

/sigh

I'm not entirely sure how many fireballs he had in his hand at the end...

What are the chance of drafting 3 Archmage? lol I never get any of this in arena.

Rosenskjold

Arena game against a priest who has the pressure on me the whole game. He floods the board with low minions and I topdeck Fan of Knives, and manage to get equal pressure on board and I would have 1 hp left if he just went face. Then it says "your opponent left" .

Coincidence or ragequit :D?

Raxus

I think you could make good Warrior and Mage decks and still follow the rules still.

Props to anyone that plays rogue or shaman.

gutshot

Wow. Thought it was only one copy of a card per deck but it is across all three decks.

I expect Warlock to be the best class then. You can build a real fast Zoo, a mid-range Demon deck and then a controlling Handlock without much card overlap. And their hero power is universally powerful across all deck types. Their class cards are kinda shitty too, which isn't a drawback in this format. Mage, for example, would be hampered a bit since they can only run one Fireball, one Water Ellie, etc.

Haunted

love it

I expect mostly warlocks and warriors.

Kibler, Kolento and Trump invited, good times ahead.

Penalty deck:
Code:
Salty Dog
Stormpike Commando
Priestess of Elune
Core Hound
War Golem
Clockwork Giant
Ancient Mage
Mogushan Warden
Alarm-o-Bot
Coldlight Oracle
Gnomergan Infantry
Flying Machine
Ogre Brute
Tauren Warrior
Bluegill Warrior
Doomsayer
Master Swordsmith
Nerubar Weblord
Angry Chicken
Argent Squire
Dragon Egg
Elven Archer
Secretkeeper
Stonetusk Boar
Target Dummy
Wisp
Stormwind Champion
Argent Commander
Frost Elemental
Azure Drake
Dr Boom

Haunted

I like that we're going to see 90 cards per player.

It'll also be an interesting tactical decision which of the three decks will get Dr. Boom, and what will fill that empty slot in the other two.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If I had to guess, Highlander mode for Hearthstone would probably turn into aggressive decks. Control decks would lack the sort of consistent 2-for-1 cards that enables them to survive if they were to make sub-optimal choices.

Meanwhile, something like Zoo can grab one copy of every single card that was played in the history of zoo.

Edit: Oh wait. you have to make 3 decks of the same class and if you use a card in one deck you can't use it in the other?

Sounds like.... bad arena drafts.

Fixed1979

Probably spawned from Duplicate.

Yeah, he got a couple from duplicate when I had no choice but to remove him and then another from Faceless. With 12 cards remaining I somehow didn't draw a single weapon even though there are five of them in my deck. It's a match I really wish I could have recorded just to see if there was something I overlooked. Sitting at 7-1 so regardless of what happens it'll be my best warrior run.

Jrmint

How do you guys like Tempo Mage? I've been playing the version with Clockwork Gnome and 2 Mech. Yetis, seems to have a pretty good win rate.

Priest seems to be a bad matchup since they can stea a lot of the shit you put on the board, but overall it's been pretty fun.

It can be annoying if you lose board control, but I guess that's the point of the deck to take early control.

Dahbomb

Aww shiiiet.... Challengestone rules released!

This is actually pretty interesting although I honestly believe that Warlock will be the best class in this. Unlike other classes, they don't have many MANDATORY class cards and their hero power allows for more flexibility in types of decks you can make.

That said this is going to be really tough to make in 20 minutes or however much time they have.

As always I like to post my submissions for Challengestone (took me 30 minutes to come up with them):

Zoolock

Abusive Sergeant
Power Overwhelming
Shield Bearer
Leper Gnome
Argent Squire
Voidwalker
Flame Imp
Ironbreak Owl
Knife Juggler
Swamp Ooze
Nerubian Egg
Haunted Creeper
Dire Wolf Alpha
Void Terror
Raid Leader
Spider Tank
Imp Gang Boss
Imp Master
Shattered Sun Cleric
Harvest Golem
Scarlet Crusader
Arcane Golem
Shredder
Implosion
Dark Iron Dwarf
Frostwolf Warlord
Doomguard
Loatheb
Seagiant
Malganis

This one was pretty easy to make of course as Zoolock basically just has a bunch of neutral cards. I put in some midrange/late game cards in case the early minions get shut down.

Handlock

Zombie Chow
Demonfire
Ancient Watcher
Sunfury Protector
Recombobulator
Annoyotron
Demonwrath
Shadowbolt
MCT
Shade of Naxrammus
Defender of Argus
Yeti
Senjin
Spellbreaker
Shadowflame
Healbot
Fen Creeper
Faceless Manipulator
Harrison Jones
Sunwalker
Siphon Soul
Sylvanas
Dread Infernal
Dr Balanced
Twisting Nether
Kelthuzad
Ragnaros
Molten Giant
Mountain Giant
Jaraxxus

This one was tough to make but I feel like I came up with something interesting. Demonfire is basically just there for early removal. Demonwrath replaced Hellfire in this deck. Spellbreaker for the silence as this deck needs it. Healbot and Siphon Soul with Jaraxxus for the heals. I had to put in a lot of weird taunts to make up for not having double Sunfury/Defender of Argus plus needed to put in Taunt in the other deck as well (Belcher).

Put in Twisting Nether for the clutch comeback if needed.

Malylock/Dragon Warlock

Mortal Coil
Soul Fire
Darkbomb
Unstable Ghoul
Bloodmage Thalnos
Faerie Dragon
BGH
Earthen Ring Farseer
Drain Life
Blackwing Technician
Wolfrider
Hellfire
Twilight Drake
Mechanical Yeti
Stormwind Knight
Arcane Nullifier
Blackwing Corruptor
Belcher
Bane of Doom
Azure Drake
Black Knight
Volcanic Drake
Emperor Thaurissan
Argent Commander
Drakonid Crusher
Rend Blackhand
Chromaggus
Ysera
Alexstraza
Malygos

This last one was the toughest to make. By this time I was kinda scrapping for some solid minions and trying to achieve a proper balance while also retaining some semblance of synergy. I think I did OK here as well. Only problem here is that there are very situational removals here without having a single silence. Kripp was smart with this format and there's no way to get more than two Silences total in the 3 decks unless you play like Priest or Druid (or Shaman/Mage for the Hex/Poly).

It was actually challenging figuring out how to distribute the various spells of the Warlock and how to distribute common neutrals like Belcher and Dr Balanced. I think there's going to be some interesting stuff in this tournament for sure.

CoolOff

I almost feel like they should've banned Warlock because it's such an obvious choice. We'll see if the players realize that in the short timespan though.

Dahbomb

I almost feel like they should've banned Warlock because it's such an obvious choice. We'll see if the players realize that in the short timespan though.
They realized that Ramp Druid and Zoolock were best in previous format too so I think quiet a few of them will be picking Warlock.

Not Kibler though since he is not too familiar with Warlock.

Sande

I just got Tirion in arena. I didn't even get excited because I knew he couldn't carry this piece of shit draft.

Yep, 1-3. I didn't get a single chance to play him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think Priest makes a lot of sense in this format. Decks will probably be arena-ish and Priest has 3 potential board clears (Holy Nova, Lightbomb, Auchenai+Circle or Shadow Madness). Meanwhile your opponent will struggle having board clears of their own, so being able to heal your own minions is pretty significant.

Plus you can pivot into an anti-aggro or anti-control setup fairly well.

Dahbomb

I think Priest makes a lot of sense in this format. Decks will probably be arena-ish and Priest has 3 potential board clears (Holy Nova, Lightbomb, Auchenai+Circle or Shadow Madness). Meanwhile your opponent will struggle having board clears of their own, so being able to heal your own minions is pretty significant.

Plus you can pivot into an anti-aggro or anti-control setup fairly well.
Priest was actually my second choice because they have a lot of situational spells that you put one of in decks (like Mind Control) anyway.

CoolOff

Always the same thing every season, reach rank 5 20 days in and think "hey, maybe this time it'll actually happen".

Spend the next ten days bouncing between rank 3 and 8, tilting harder and harder the lower you go.

NEVER LEGEND

Dahbomb

Artosis said he knew this a week prior and all he could come up with was Warlock decks.

Kripp said you can make 3 decent Mage decks as well.

I need a new deck to ladder with the last few,days of the season. Any suggestions?

I'm tired of the meta decks. Was thinking about Velen Priest. /shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom