• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Honestly, the biggest thing going for Troggzor right now is that hes incredible in the current brawl. Greenskin is out of the meta right now, but that 1) probably isn't permanent, and 2) comes with a fancy parrot, since Greenskin is the only pirate I don't own.

br3wnor

Yeah pretty much. From GvG I really want Vol'jin and also wouldn't mind Iron Juggernaut lol

Vol'jin is cool but Iron Juggernaut sucks. I had such high hopes for it since I'm a big Warrior guy and pulled it from a pack early on in GvG, but it really didn't have a place in any Warrior deck. Outside of getting it in a pack, I'd save the dust for Leg's down the road.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lol going against a Fel Reaver in Arena. Wipe his deck to fatigue. Have 3 flamestrikes in my deck with 9 cards left to go and flamestrike being the only thing that could save me from lethal. Nope.

Fel Reaver can actually be a very serious threat in arena. But you have to be smart about it. Fel Reaver means you pivot the game into a YOLO to the face. If he hits face twice that's practically a win right there. Taunts and Freeze screws it over hard, though.

Schryver

Vol'jin is cool but Iron Juggernaut sucks. I had such high hopes for it since I'm a big Warrior guy and pulled it from a pack early on in GvG, but it really didn't have a place in any Warrior deck. Outside of getting it in a pack, I'd save the dust for Leg's down the road.

Yeah I wouldn't craft Juggernaut but I am thinking about crafting Vol'jin. Actually been doing really well with my priest deck even without him though so I will reevaluate after I start losing more haha

Honestly, the biggest thing going for Troggzor right now is that hes incredible in the current brawl. Greenskin is out of the meta right now, but that 1) probably isn't permanent, and 2) comes with a fancy parrot, since Greenskin is the only pirate I don't own.
You're going to get the most use out of Troggzor or Greenskin, in that order too. Technically you can put Troggzor into 'any' deck since he isn't reliant on anything. Greenskin only works with a few classes and I'd assume you'd need around four weapons to have him be useful.

Gazlowe is a whole other beast since he takes an entire deck to be built around him (Spare Parts) and not every class has a lot of decent 1 cost spells to also benefit. However, I did love my Mech Priest I made a while back with him. If you can get some mechs, he's a ton of fun.

ZealousD

Greenskin only works with a few classes and I'd assume you'd need around four weapons to have him be useful.

Honestly? You need more like 5 weapons to justify Greenskin, and most people feel like 5 weapons might just be one too many. That's why he only finds himself in SOME midrange Paladin decks that run Coghammer.

Magnus

Having some wild success on the Ladder (Rank 17 up to Rank 10 now) with this deck:
tEVWfDD.jpg

Cagey

Banned
Turn 9 in Arena, play Nefarian.
Turn 10, opponent Mind Control.
Turn 10, play Sea Giant.
Turn 11, opponent Mind Control.

This game.

Honestly? You need more like 5 weapons to justify Greenskin, and most people feel like 5 weapons might just be one too many. That's why he only finds himself in SOME midrange Paladin decks that run Coghammer.
Makes me think, I wonder why they changed Greenskin. Most of the used 5 drop Legendaries are really strong(Loatheb and Harrison) and Pirate themed decks need more card draw.

I can't think of anything seriously overpowered about it. I suppose there are a few decks out there now where'd it be used that don't need the extra draw. At the very least it's a 5/4 with draw a card and maybe that's too strong.

God, I'm over here laughing like an idiot because Nat Pagle drew me a card like 7 out of 8 turns lol.

Icing on the cake when I stole the freeze Mage's Ice Block. Ah, I love this game sometimes.

ultron87

I'm actually really enjoying this brawl. Getting to suit up Echoing Oozes, making giant Dragonkin Sorcerers, triggering Flamewaker five time in a turn or drawing a bunch off Auctioneer is quite entertaining. Have seen some cute stuff from my opponents as well. I do kind of wish it was no Legendaries though. I could put Boom and Sylvanas in the deck, but that almost feels against the spirit of the mode. And not having them as options might slow down the people just coming in with their Ranked decks and make them have to actually build something a little more tailor made.

ZealousD

I'm actually really enjoying this brawl. Getting to suit up Echoing Oozes, making giant Dragonkin Sorcerers, triggering Flamewaker five time in a turn or drawing a bunch off Auctioneer is quite entertaining. Have seen some cute stuff from my opponents as well. I do kind of wish it was no Legendaries though. I could put Boom and Sylvanas in the deck, but that almost feels against the spirit of the mode. And not having them as options might slow down the people just coming in with their Ranked decks and make them have to actually build something a little more tailor made.

Flamewaker seems like the most busted card in this challenge. Gadgetzan technically has the more powerful effect but you can easily overdraw or mill yourself.

zoukka

Flamewaker seems like the most busted card in this challenge. Gadgetzan technically has the more powerful effect but you can easily overdraw or mill yourself.

Sorcs Apprentice might be more busted and when combined these two cards together are hilarious.

CRS

I always get to rank 5 in any season just by doing dailies :3

;_;

I only get to Rank 7ish, sometimes 6, but could never really break that threshold until now. But I notice myself not making as many stupid mistakes so I think there is some progress!

Pooya

I could use some tips against mill rogues that have the perfect draw, playing as a control deck or handlock.

I face so many of them in rank 10-9 and I mostly lose :(

unless I'm playing something like face hunter...

CRS

Is today legendary day? Played two piloted shredders today and got Millhouse and Cho.

Shredders only have 6 drops:

Doomsayer
Millhouse
Lorewalker Cho
Nat Pagle
Captain's Parrot
Lightwell

So you had a 33% chance of getting one.

:p

I could use some tips against mill rogues that have the perfect draw, playing as a control deck or handlock.

I face so many of them in rank 10-9 and I mostly lose :(

unless I'm playing something like face hunter...

It's tough to beat anything that gets the perfect draws/curve.

Unfortunately, Handlock is a touch matchup against Mill Rogues. They're going to mill the shit out of you unless you're somehow able to keep your hand count low but it's tough as a Handlock.

Some tips:

Keep your hand count low (Coldlight Oracle x 2 = Milling)
Keep your number of minions on the board low (Coldlight + Prep + Vanish)
Advise against using Implosion [Dr. Boom as well] unless absolutely necessary (You will get a card for each Imp + Vanish = Possible Mill + Destruction of the rest of your board)

Maybe someone else can help me out, but what are the order of Minions returned when using Vanish? First In (played on the board), Last Out (returned to hand)?

Pooya

The game was ridiculous, I felt humiliated.

I saw the coldlight and I knew I was screwed, I killed it and I tried to empty my hand. But what happened next turn, I got hit by shadowstep combo and my hand got almost full, then vanish bam, almost all dead. I was still in the game at that point, he can't possibly do the same thing again next turn right? so I did went all in, this turn... we hunger for vengeance... tinker oil, blade furry... FFFUUUU. Also fuck the deathlords.

I'm not sure what I could do, it felt so bad.

Sande

Oh man, first 12 win arena run. Feels good. I played a pretty low curve paladin with shieldbots, shredders, truesilvers and so on. I lost twice because of a horrible starting hand, but in other games I dominated from start to finish.

I would have rather taken gold than golden cards, but I'm not complaining.

What do you guys think about coining out a 2 drop even when you don't really have anything to follow it up with (especially in the context of arena)? I've seen people like Kripp avoid it but I think it makes sense, at least with paladin. It gives you board control and there's a chance that you'll draw another 2 drop next turn. And if you don't, there's always the hero power. I feel like waiting and hoping the coin will be more useful later is a bigger risk.

ViviOggi

Oh man, first 12 win arena run. Feels good. I played a pretty low curve paladin with shieldbots, shredders, truesilvers and so on. I lost twice because of a horrible starting hand, but in other games I dominated from start to finish.

I would have rather taken gold than golden cards, but I'm not complaining.

What do you guys think about coining out a 2 drop even when you don't really have anything to follow it up with (especially in the context of arena)? I've seen people like Kripp avoid it but I think it makes sense, at least with paladin. It gives you board control and there's a chance that you'll draw another 2 drop next turn. And if you don't, there's always the hero power. I feel like waiting and hoping the coin will be more useful later is a bigger risk.
You use the coin to smooth out your curve and enable power turns that take control of the board. Paladin's tokens make coining a 2-drop into hero power slightly less shitty than pinging on 2 but it's still almost never worth it. Especially with Paladin the biggest swing you can get is making a 4 mana play on turn 3, and coining a 3-drop like Harvest Golem or Spider Tank to answer your opponent's 2-drop is vastly superior to the 2-drop coin into nothing play as well.

You don't hope the coin will be useful later on, you analyze your hand and plan out your plays based on that. With a 2/2/3/x hand you want to coin on 1, (1/)3/3/4 means you coin on 2 and so on. Think about it this way: coining out a 2-drop without a follow-up play is just hoping that your opponent has no 2-play which is very unlikely - and when they do you're 1 mana behind for the rest of the game. They answer your coined 2 with a 2-drop of their own, you get 3 damage to face and a 1/1 that does nothing, they just trade and play a Harvest Golem and then you're at 3 mana.

Xanathus

I had a dream that Blizzard added Shaman cards that made Ancestors Call Malygos Shaman a top tier deck. I think all it needs is better card draw and cycling. Maybe better stall/heal.

Acinixys

I had a dream that Blizzard added Shaman cards that made Ancestors Call Malygos Shaman a top tier deck. I think all it needs is better card draw and cycling. Maybe better stall/heal.

The thing is Shaman has so much board control that giving him more card draw would make him super broken

ZealousD

Don't coin out a 2 drop if you don't have a second two drop ready. Getting your 2 drop out a turn earlier if you're forced to hero power next turn really doesn't help you all that much since 2 drops generally trade with each other anyway. And no, you really can't count on drawing into a 2 drop either.

The coin can really fix a busted curve, too. Let's say your opening hand is 2, 4, 4. Then you should ABSOLUTELY hold onto the coin because then you can use it to throw out a 4-manner on turn 3 and you curve out fantastically. Otherwise your play might end up being coin 2, hero power, hero power, 4. Which is horribly weak.

In fact, you should always consider hero power on Turn 2 a weak play, and hero power on Turn 3 is just abhorrent.

embalm

Troggzor

or

Gazlow

or

Captain Greenskin

To craft next? Please operate under the assumption that I already have Boom/Sylvanas/Ysera/etc., and that these are reasonably the best legendaries I don't currently own.
I'm a little late, but I have all 3 and have tried all 3 in many decks. Captain Greenskin is the most useful. He doesn't pass the vinalla test, but his battlecry is great with any weapon out. He will be a staple in any future pirate decks for sure. He is also just fun to play in a pirate deck. (Greenskin, attack face, & Bladeflurry for lethal is awesome)

I keep trying to fit Troggzor into a deck, and he does well in patron/tempo mage meta, he can easily be replaced by other cards.

Gazlow's trash stats make him unplayable. The restriction of spells costing 1 to draw a mech is also hard to pull off. There are also a good number of terrible mechs. He is truly a win more card, you have to be ahead on board to play junk stats, curve out minions to save your 1 mana spells, and have card advantage so that you have 1 mana spells to dump onto your board to proc him.

Special C

I've been on vacation with bad wifi and haven't touched Hearthstone. When I get back I will have 6 total quests (3 up 3 in queue) as long as I don't reroll any right?

ViviOggi

I've been on vacation with bad wifi and haven't touched Hearthstone. When I get back I will have 6 total quests (3 up 3 in queue) as long as I don't reroll any right?
I didn't get any extras when I did this a few weeks ago, but I could have rerolled the first quest before. Around that time a bunch of people on reddit reported similar issues while it still worked fine for others, so you better keep those fingers crossed

gutshot

I didn't get any extras when I did this a few weeks ago, but I could have rerolled the first quest before. Around that time a bunch of people on reddit reported similar issues while it still worked fine for others, so you better keep those fingers crossed

Yeah, it has been hit or miss for me. I still haven't been able to find a way to get it to consistently work.

Just curious, pretty sure this has been talked about before, but have Hunters and Warlocks always had a strong/consistent deck in the meta? I would guess Warrior as well with Control Warrior but that's only one specific deck.

embalm

Just curious, pretty sure this has been talked about before, but have Hunters and Warlocks always had a strong/consistent deck in the meta? I would guess Warrior as well with Control Warrior but that's only one specific deck.
The short answer: Yes.

Hunter has been through multiple nerfs and has always come out as the most aggressive aggo decks. They had beast decks, death rattle decks, face decks, midrange decks, secret decks and all have been fairly cheap to craft and fast paced.

Warlock will always have a deck or two in the meta. Their hero power to draw a card is really powerful. Zoo and Handlock have both been around since beta.

Magnus

Kicking some ass in brawls. People really suck at playing with new rules. I play much better on the improvisation game. Shows you how locked into netdecks and predictability people are.

Dahbomb

Warlock will never be bad in Hearthtstone as long as that hero power exists. Even when a class that is supposed to counter them is so prevalent in the meta (Hunter), Warlock is still super prevalent.

The main change for Warlock has been that Blizzard keeps giving them legitimately good cards as of late and not cards with huge penalties (either life loss or card loss). A few more Imp Gang Boss, Implosion, Void Caller and Malganis type cards and they would become unstoppable.

If your hand looks like 2-3-5-6, you definitely do not coin a 2 drop. Maybe if it is a great two drop and your opponent is playing a class without any way to deal with it.

If your hand looks like 2-3-4-5, then you already have at least something to do for each of those turns. It all depends on how your hand looks. Yeah, you might draw another 2 drop, but you might not draw a 4 drop, so you want that coin to play a 5 drop on turn 4, or a 4 drop on turn 3.

Red Comet

So me and a warlock both just died on the same turn. It gave me a defeat, but do they also get a defeat, or would they have been given a win since they cast the spell that killed us? Just curious.

Haunted

So did we get official numbers for the Ragnaros vs Nefarian matchup? I saw that poll on reddit that came out to something like 33% vs 67%.

Leezard

So me and a warlock both just died on the same turn. It gave me a defeat, but do they also get a defeat, or would they have been given a win since they cast the spell that killed us? Just curious.

It shows the defeat screen for both, but you don't actually lose any stars for ranked, etc.

Blizzard just never implemented a Draw screen despite it being quite simple to pull off a draw.

Red Comet

It shows the defeat screen for both, but you don't actually lose any stars for ranked, etc.

Blizzard just never implemented a Draw screen despite it being quite simple to pull off a draw.

Interesting. Yeah, I had assumed that would have been a draw, but I was wondering why it didn't say "draw".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom