• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies. Will be interesting to see if anything changes with the next release of cards, probably not though.

It's interesting to me because a Hero Power is great design wise because it's a little something you can always do on your turn and they define a class as well. Just kind of sucks that there are two out there that 'rule' so to speak.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thanks for the replies. Will be interesting to see if anything changes with the next release of cards, probably not though.

It's interesting to me because a Hero Power is great design wise because it's a little something you can always do on your turn and they define a class as well. Just kind of sucks that there are two out there that 'rule' so to speak.
???

All card releases have changed the meta.
Some cards change Hero Powers too.

Haunted

Here's a new hero power for some new class that doesn't exist yet.

"Freeze a character. If it's already frozen, deal 1(2?) damage."

Dahbomb

Here's a new hero power for some new class that doesn't exist yet.

"Freeze a character. If it's already frozen, deal 1(2?) damage."
Would make weapon classes unplayable against that class. Probably want to change that to Freeze a minion and then deal 2 damage if it's already frozen.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So with Emperor Thaurissan can Malygos be considered a good card yet?

Malygos turns 1/2 spells into mini Pyroblasts with ease with one proc of Thaurissan.

MalyLock is gaining popularity. Seems FotM to me, though. Requires a pretty particular hand state.

inky

I've been playing Malygos Druid since before any expansion or adventure was out, and it is still my go to deck. For me it has always been good *shrugs*

Dahbomb

Malygos Warlock works in the meta because Handlock is prevalent. Starting out you don't know if you are playing against Malygos or Handlock. If you realize that he's playing Malygos you go ham on the offense (which you can't always do against Handlock because of Molten taunts). Malylock folds against heavy aggression.

That said Malylock does well against other Handlocks because of surprise 15+ damage that goes through taunts.

MalyLock is gaining popularity. Seems FotM to me, though. Requires a pretty particular hand state.

I tried it out for a while, and eventually gave up on it. If you don't get Emperor Balance and at least two of the combo components in hand, you're going to lose. If you're forced to use the burn spells to control the board so that you can survive long enough to assemble the combo, you're going to lose. I think pretty much any of the other Warlock decks (Handlock, Demonlock, and Zoo) are more consistent. Patron Warrior is a much more consistent combo deck with more win conditions.

???

All card releases have changed the meta.
Some cards change Hero Powers too.
I guess mean in a more drastic fashion. I either might not be able to explain what I mean or it already exists and I don't notice it.

Best way to explain what I mean is that whenever the meta changes, I'd hope there'd always be new decks added over already existing decks that just shuffle around new cards. Patron Warrior is good example. A deck like that never really existed till BRM. Compare that to tempo Mage which appeared now and then but gained popularity with the addition of a few cards.

However, the more I think about it, the less I understand what in trying to get at.

ViviOggi

I tried it out for a while, and eventually gave up on it. If you don't get Emperor Balance and at least two of the combo components in hand, you're going to lose. If you're forced to use the burn spells to control the board so that you can survive long enough to assemble the combo, you're going to lose. I think pretty much any of the other Warlock decks (Handlock, Demonlock, and Zoo) are more consistent. Patron Warrior is a much more consistent combo deck with more win conditions.
Yeah, Malylock is decent but ultimately combo decks relying on two specific lategame pieces are too inconsistent, at least for me. To be fair with its Handlock/Dragon part it's the most minion-oriented combo deck which lets you win games through board control alone, but it feels kind of disjointed. Like you're playing halves of two different decks so your draws often can't answer the current situation.

Oil Rogue is fair too as far as combo decks go. When Emperor was released some were hoping for a Malygos Miracoli comeback, but it ended up having very similar issues. Even Malygos Shaman had a quick fad until people realized that these classes simply don't have the consistent board control tools of, say, Freeze Mage (for which Emperor is only a win condition in specific matchups anyway and mostly just a bonus).

Haunted

Rogue and Warrior literally deleted
Would make weapon classes unplayable against that class. Probably want to change that to Freeze a minion and then deal 2 damage if it's already frozen.
Change to " minion" instead of "character" and it'd be alright.
I thought of that, but wasn't sure if only freezing minions would be too weak...

Maybe removing the damage aspect against heroes would work? Yes, it's strong against weapons... but otherwise it's a pretty situational hero power
that is (ultimately) unable to effect the board state in any way.

Just random musings trying to come up with new hero powers that would fit in the established system (outside of the popular "create a 1/1 with charge that dies at the end of the turn").

Add the following change.

Characters cannot cast spells when frozen.
woah, calm down there satan

embalm

I guess mean in a more drastic fashion. I either might not be able to explain what I mean or it already exists and I don't notice it.

Best way to explain what I mean is that whenever the meta changes, I'd hope there'd always be new decks added over already existing decks that just shuffle around new cards. Patron Warrior is good example. A deck like that never really existed till BRM. Compare that to tempo Mage which appeared now and then but gained popularity with the addition of a few cards.

However, the more I think about it, the less I understand what in trying to get at.
I think I understand what you're saying, but Super Nothing is right. Blizzard has down a good job of introducing cards that shake up the meta or offer new decks/classes a chance to shine. Here are a few examples:

Mid Range Paladin: GvG dragged paladin from the bottom of the ranks to the top for multiple seasons. Quartermaster means your opponent must deal with your 1/1 tokens or they risk losing the board. Shielded mini bot gave them a minion to deal with aggro decks. Muster for Battle gave them a Turn three control card that combos well with lots of other cards.

Tempo Mage: A spell focused mage was tried by everyone thanks to Mana Wyrm & Sorcerer's Apprentice being perfect for it. It took about half a dozen new cards to come out before it could really take off though. Mad Scientist, Flame Waker, Spare Parts from mechs, Unstable Portal, and new damage spells.

Mech Mage: At a time when Freeze Mage seemed to be the only good deck for the class, GvG introduced a board flooding, fireballing, monster. The new tribe and mage reach comboed really well and a new deck was born.

So don't worry too much about Hunter & Warlock hero powers overshadowing the other classes. Plenty of cards have come out that more than help balance the options.

I thought of that, but wasn't sure if only freezing minions would be too weak...

Maybe removing the damage aspect against heroes would work? Yes, it's strong against weapons... but otherwise it's a pretty situational hero power
that is (ultimately) unable to effect the board state in any way.

Just random musings trying to come up with new hero powers that would fit in the established system (outside of the popular "create a 1/1 with charge that dies at the end of the turn").

It is fun to speculate about new hero powers. I still would argue that having a hero power that basically completely nullifies two other classes' hero powers (Rogue and Druid) and also several hampers to other classes that are somewhat or majorly weapon-dependent (Paladin and Warrior, respectively) is just too much. It also has decent use against a Shaman - if they throw down a Doomhammer it's as good as wasted after that first turn.

Yeah, changing it to "Freeze target minion; if the minion is already frozen, deal 2 damage" as someone suggested above seems reasonable.

Do we think Blizzard will ever add other character classes like Death Knight?

I do think they will eventually. If you think about it, the longer they take the harder it will be since they will have to have an equal amount of cards to the other classes, thinking up that many will get more and more difficult as time goes on.

Same for Monk, although there's no reason Monk can't come first, people only think DK will come first because that's how WoW did it. I do think DK will be first though.

Duster

Blimey I'm at level 13 and just played a guy with one of those new fancy warrior portraits and a deck made almost entirely of gold cards.
I felt like conceding straight away as there was no doubt about how it was going to turn out but stuck around just to see all the pretty golden legendries.

Blimey I'm at level 13 and just played a guy with one of those new fancy warrior portraits and a deck made almost entirely of gold cards.
I felt like conceding straight away as there was no doubt about how it was going to turn out but stuck around just to see all the pretty golden legendries.

That's what we call a wallet warrior

Dahbomb

Worst win rate cards in Arena according to Hearthstone (based on empirical data):

1) Gang Up
2) Totemic Might

Worst Legendary in Arena:

Nat Pagle

No data on Rend Blackhand is no one has picked it LOL!

ViviOggi

#3 is surprising as Muster for Battle.

Although not that surprising that card is insane.

#4 is Deathwing. Mobius am cry.
Yup Muster is massive bullshit in arena, you get four pings which are a lot more significant than in constructed and the dudes which are insanely hard to remove efficiently with the minion-based, tempo-dependent decks that make up most of arena, especially when they come down as early as on turn 3.

Would have guessed Millhouse as worst legendary

Dahbomb

Yup Muster is massive bullshit in arena, you get four pings which are a lot more significant than in constructed and the dudes which are insanely hard to remove efficiently with the minion-based, tempo-dependent decks that make up most of arena, especially when they come down as early as on turn 3.

Would have guessed Millhouse as worst legendary
They don't have enough data on the Legendaries to be honest. Only 7 people on the database have even used Lorewalker Cho (and when they did those 7 Cho had a better winrate than Fire Elemental!).

Piloted Shredder and Golem have same/better win rates as some top Legendaries and top class cards...

Haunted

Oh man, Day9 said he'd make a proper, concerted effort to hit Legend this season - just watched his latest decktaculars in which he went from Rank 3 down to Rank 7.

hoo boy

Worst win rate cards in Arena according to Hearthstone (based on empirical data):

1) Gang Up
2) Totemic Might

Worst Legendary in Arena:

Nat Pagle

No data on Rend Blackhand is no one has picked it LOL!
Totemic Might represent!

I'll find a use for that card yet! ;_;7

Haunted

I didn't look up anything about the mode, instinctively played a Zoolock and won my game to get the pack, but everything he says here makes sense. With a fanbase that's as dedicated and hardcore as Hearthstone's, optimal decks are discovered very quickly. Kind of a shame that a single archetype in a single class (Tempo Mage) seems that much better than everything else.

The bananas don't change enough, I liked the craziness of the first brawl more.

Hektor

I really love this weeks brawl. #Fthehaters.

X6hHkZb.jpg

rac

Banned
Kicking some ass in brawls. People really suck at playing with new rules. I play much better on the improvisation game. Shows you how locked into netdecks and predictability people are.

Or maybe people have to dust the cards that are good for this brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom