• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Ulduar is the perfect excuse to release a bunch more Faceless cards with crazy effects. Is there a WoW TCG expansion with an Ulduar theme? I suspect they're heavily prioritising raids and instances where there's a lot of unused TCG art they can use for the cards. I think that's why they've mentioned Karazhan as a potential future expansion, because that has art:

prince_malchezaar_beg.jpg

It's almost weird how this Malchezaar card would convert 1:1 into a Hearthstone card, stats, cost and all.

ViviOggi

Ulduar is the perfect excuse to release a bunch more Faceless cards with crazy effects. Is there a WoW TCG expansion with an Ulduar theme? I suspect they're heavily prioritising raids and instances where there's a lot of unused TCG art they can use for the cards. I think that's why they've mentioned Karazhan as a potential future expansion, because that has art:

It's almost weird how this Malchezaar card would convert 1:1 into a Hearthstone card, stats, cost and all.
That looks a bit op

How come none of you guys ever say craft Zombie Chow for new players?

Stops the stupid aggro decks.
Probably because you can't craft it :V

Alrus

That would be a rather strong card, a 6 mana with decent stats that cycles a card with a chance to either make said card free or summon a 6/6? Might be a bit overpowered.

Dahbomb

Yeah that will totally be fair and balanced in Hearthstone...

Rapstah

Infernals work differently in the WoW TCG. I think they switch owners if you can't pay for them by discarding a card each turn. I totally agree that the card is way too good if it summons normal 6/6 Jaraxxus Infernals.

ViviOggi

So buy Naxxramas then?

Seems like that's the answer.
Naxxramas is frequently recommended for its decent range of useful cards, but most new players don't want to immediately splurge more than 20€ on a handful of cards or be unable to use gold to buy packs for more than a month. I don't know what you're getting at.

Infernals work differently in the WoW TCG. I think they switch owners if you can't pay for them by discarding a card each turn. I totally agree that the card is way too good if it summons normal 6/6 Jaraxxus Infernals.
I see, interesting.

CoolOff

Given that Blackrock releases in like a week, we should get a batch-unveiling soon right? They said all would be shown before release. Only 14/31 shown so far I think.

SHOW ME THE GODDAMN CLASS DRAGONS.

JesseZao

Given that Blackrock releases in like a week, we should get a batch-unveiling soon right? They said all would be shown before release. Only 14/31 shown so far I think.

Probably another few tomorrow, then a couple more tues, then the final dump upon release for the rest.

Dahbomb

What makes you sure we are going to be getting Class dragons? They already showed the 2 Mage cards and neither are Dragons.

Seems like every class is going to be getting a spell and a minion... that's about it (1 uncommon and 1 rare).

ViviOggi

With only two class cards I'd rather they're all universal, although I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Druid a dragon which is already going to be the default class for that tribe.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

They've revealed both Mage cards and neither are dragons. Class dragons won't be a thing. I suspect that the Dragon tribe is going to be more limited than mechs.

squidyj

Yeah, you need to kill 4 minions to make it slightly better than Frostbolt. Blackwing Corruptor on the other hand is pretty damn good. He's essentially a Fire Ele for dragon decks and on turn 5 potentially even more clutch.

your math is off, it's 2 mana on 3 kills. 1 mana 4 damage anywhere you want it is A LOT better than frostbolt.

embalm

They've revealed both Mage cards and neither are dragons. Class dragons won't be a thing. I suspect that the Dragon tribe is going to be more limited than mechs.

I really hope this isn't the case. Classes should all have their own tribes. I hope Priest, Paladin, and Druid all get a class Dragon or even 2. They all have control hero powers and would lean well towards a control tribe.

I really hope this isn't the case. Classes should all have their own tribes. I hope Priest, Paladin, and Druid all get a class Dragon or even 2. They all have control hero powers and would lean well towards a control tribe.

Priest/Pally/Druid can have Murlocs as a tribe if they want... I'll happily give them up as a Shaman player.

gutshot

Druids already kinda have beasts. Although they do seem like a good fit for dragons too.

But I'm in agreement with those who think they probably won't reveal any class-specific dragons or even dragon synergistic cards. All the dragon and dragon-synergy cards released have been neutrals, if I'm not mistaken.

ViviOggi

your math is off, it's 2 mana on 3 kills. 1 mana 4 damage anywhere you want it is A LOT better than frostbolt.
Math is hard

Still, Frostbolt freezes which makes it 4 damage with next turn's ping if we're talking about minion removal. The face damage is only really relevant in Freeze Mage and no other currently known deck could afford to run the card in the first place.

embalm

Priest/Pally/Druid can have Murlocs as a tribe if they want... I'll happily give them up as a Shaman player.
lmao I think Shaman should get an Overload dragon, that would be sweet.

The idea would be for tags/tribes should be the "multi-class" class specific cards.

Pirates are a good example of this, the way they interact with weapons means they are only good as a tribe in Rogue, Warrior, & Paladin.
Beasts are done differently, in that it's the class specific cards that really adds the value to the tribe. Druid of Fang and Kill Command are class cards that make the tribe worth incorporating into your deck.
Mechs are a lot like beasts, and Mage got the best mech enabled class cards, which is why it took off.
Murlocs just need card draw to be playable, so giving Shaman two ways to draw murlocs is pretty cool, and while the deck sucks for now(I tried really hard to make it work) I like that they opened up the door for it and it plays very different than other Murloc decks.

Math is hard

Still, Frostbolt freezes which makes it 4 damage with next turn's ping if we're talking about minion removal. The face damage is only really relevant in Freeze Mage and no other currently known deck could afford to run the card in the first place.
The best comparison for Dragon Breath vs Frostbolt is the Warlock spells. Darkbomb vs Soulfire is very much the same argument and most Warlock decks have picked consistent 3 damage over the possibly high value Soulfire.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For select terrible seeming cards I'd actually like to see Blizzard give some examples of decks they feel they make sense in (or at least archetypes).

The only one they ever did that for to my knowledge is Gnomish Experimenter, where they noted it would be in a deck that has almost no minions, but then went on to explain they didn't actually want people to make decks like that which was kind of paradoxical.

Didn't blizz come out and say this adventure would be meta defining?

So far I haven't seen much that would change things outside of hungry dragon.

However, we have only seen half of the cards.

CoolOff

Since testers have claimed Paladin to be their favorite class for Dragon-decks, I've just assumed it's getting a class-Dragon.

For select terrible seeming cards I'd actually like to see Blizzard give some examples of decks they feel they make sense in (or at least archetypes).

The only one they ever did that for to my knowledge is Gnomish Experimenter, where they noted it would be in a deck that has almost no minions, but then went on to explain they didn't actually want people to make decks like that which was kind of paradoxical.

Even a deck with almost no minions has better card draw options than a 3/2 for 3 mana that has the possibility of destroying one of your minions. Most decks that run almost all spells with very few minions have very specific minions that, if wasted, pretty much ruins your chances of winning. Gnomish Experimenter is a bad card, Blizzard shouldn't even try to defend it. I can only recall seeing it played once, and it destroyed the guy's Loatheb. I'm willing to bet he pulled it from his deck after that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Didn't blizz come out and say this adventure would be meta defining?

So far I haven't seen much that would change things outside of hungry dragon.

However, we have only seen half of the cards.

Isn't that a good thing? That means they aren't gonna get in a power creep with each of the expansions.

Isn't that a good thing? That means they aren't gonna get in a power creep with each of the expansions.

I mean, we need some incentive to buy the new cards. I'm not saying an outright power creep (like a 4-mana, 5/5 Super Chillwind Yeti) but at least new mechanics that are worth running in decks. Something like a 5 mana 4/5 Dragon with Battlecry: Gain +2/+1 for each enemy Mech in-play.

Ashodin

AHaha, built a stealth/windfury Tinker Rogue deck, and my opponents can't figure out how to deal with it. Just won against a Mech Rogue with 3 life left.

Sludge Belcher is my nemesis, but luckily I just built my bae Black Knight the other day :D

Zemm

Sooooo many mages, mech and tempo. I thought mech had been dying out over the past few days but it's back with vengeance today. So shit to play against :/

JesseZao

I mean, we need some incentive to buy the new cards. I'm not saying an outright power creep (like a 4-mana, 5/5 Super Chillwind Yeti) but at least new mechanics that are worth running in decks. Something like a 5 mana 4/5 Dragon with Battlecry: Gain +2/+1 for each enemy Mech in-play.

How bout a goblin that has a battlecry: destroy target enemy mech. Gain two spare parts.

clav

How bout a goblin that has a battlecry: destroy target enemy mech. Gain two spare parts.

Maybe something with a Terminator theme.

Charge. Windfury. Gain +2/+2 for every mech destroyed. Divine Shield when taken damage. Deathrattle: Deals 10 damage to ALL characters.

embalm

Sooooo many mages, mech and tempo. I thought mech had been dying out over the past few days but it's back with vengeance today. So shit to play against :/
Tempo mage seems to be pushing out the Face Hunters, so I had a 10 game winstreak going with Ramp Druid last night. Kezen and MCT were my tech cards over Harrison & BK.

Rapstah

In the spirit of Bronze dragonflight cards being "mess up the basic rules of the game" cards:

16e53d1f.png

Would this completely break anything? If anything, looking at the list of effects at the start or end of turns, way too few funny effects would actually change in a meaningful way. How about this instead?

2384c941.png

Doomsayer would trigger instantly, and Ysera would give Dream cards at twice the speed.

Ashodin

In the spirit of Bronze dragonflight cards being "mess up the basic rules of the game" cards:

16e53d1f.png

Would this completely break anything? If anything, looking at the list of effects at the start or end of turns, way too few funny effects would actually change in a meaningful way. How about this instead?

2384c941.png

Doomsayer would trigger instantly, and Ysera would give Dream cards at twice the speed.

The wording is super confusing.

"Turn effects happen on every turn." So beginning yours -> beginning theirs and end yours -> end theirs. fucking Mech Sensei would be ridiculous as fuck, and Micro Machine would trigger twice.

Rapstah

I think just stopping turn effects would be very powerful.

How about this:

94c65671.png

Fits into Dragon-y type lore - he eats time.

Yeah, sure. To be realistic, they probably wouldn't do an effect so complicated it needs its own hidden stack to work (like my Deathrattle variant), and yours is simple enough to keep track of in your head.

Ashodin

Yeah, sure. To be realistic, they probably wouldn't do an effect so complicated it needs its own hidden stack to work (like my Deathrattle variant), and yours is simple enough to keep track of in your head.

Imagine dropping him on the turn they wanted to Doomsayer you. Om nom nom

a5dd57f7.png

This guy would be the ultimate Dragon Paladin 4 drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom