• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Kripparrian was at Blizzard France and makes it sound like the plan to keep old content current as they add more and more card expansions and adventures is to add achievements to them. If they work loosely like WoW hard modes, giving you rewards (special cards, card backs, arena tokens) for beating bosses with a certain condition (like beating Maexxna without playing any minions that cost less than 5 mana) I can see how that would work, although I'd rather they gave the oldest adventures away and integrated older card expansions with the base packs after they get too old.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I could see Naxx getting really cheap or free as time goes on, not sure about others though, so far the cards feel like they will be more niche then the Naxx ones, which are basically an extended core IMO

Do new players get the first wing of Naxx free still, or do they have to buy even that?

Special C

I'd concentrate on having ALL the essential Neutrals before crafting class legendaries but thats just my philosophy. Black Knight is good depending on the meta. Right now Harrison is the trendy Tech Card but I still find TBK more useful. Thalnos isn't seen that much anymore but he's good to have. He fits in many Rogue and Mage decks, though Kobold is a cheap and not-terrible sub for him. Alex would be a good choice especially with Dragons coming out.

Black Knight, Alex or Thalnos for neutrals, Tirion for class.

imo

I like the way you think! haha

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I could see Naxx getting really cheap or free as time goes on, not sure about others though, so far the cards feel like they will be more niche then the Naxx ones, which are basically an extended core IMO

Do new players get the first wing of Naxx free still, or do they have to buy even that?

No freebies.

Rapstah

I was looking through a gallery of WoW TCG art and the art for Cheat Death just really looks like a confused, concussed rogue trying to call for help using a dagger.

26a4881f.png

gutshot

Viagame House Cup #2 starts tomorrow. Tune in in order to not miss out on more glorious moments like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vskfr4yG3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKqrOtEX1M

Line-up is very different this time, Frodan and Seltzer running things, 8 invites (Tiddler lol?) + 8 qualified,

Aw man, Reynad isn't going to this? Did he drop out? I could have sworn he was on the original invite list.

I really wanted to see Reynad vs Amaz. And I'm not talking about a Hearthstone match either.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I was looking through a gallery of WoW TCG art and the art for Cheat Death just really looks like a confused, concussed rogue trying to call for help using a dagger.

26a4881f.png

Ring ring ring ring ring.

Dagger phone!

sibarraz

Banned
Well, today I lived a learning experience

I was curious about fatigue mage that kolento plays so I watched a 35 min video of him playing with said deck beating everyone.

I was thinking to myself that the deck looked so powerful to fight against that I was scared to fight one.

Anyway, I was playing with my priest deck and I topped with a mage deck, I had a northsire cleric on my initial hand so I decided to play it at second turn since I also had a power word: shield.

After summoning her, the mage used his ability to hurt my northshire cleric, I healed it, the next turn he did the same and then I realized that he had a fatigue deck too, so he will try to make draw cards by winning by fatigue. Then I stopped using her abilty knowing that that will be my doom later. He played the same cards that kolento and in the end I won thanks to ysera with ysera awakens and a holy nova in the final turn, after surviving 2 antique healbot and I turn where I couldn't damage him

I won with 4 cards in my deck and the 30 hp. I know that decks don't make you win automaticaly and that with a better player I could had more troubles, but at least I knew in part how to respond against that deck

Anyone has some suggestions for extremely fast decks? I'm not gonna have much time for HS in the near future, but i want to be able to at least do the dailies as fast as possible.

Anyone has some suggestions for extremely fast decks? I'm not gonna have much time for HS in the near future, but i want to be able to at least do the dailies as fast as possible.

Face Hunter

Shockadin (Zoo Pally)

Zoo Lock (Some are control oriented some are face... most are face)

Broadly any other deck with mech synergy is on the fast end of things. For example mech mage.

Dynamic3

Was I going crazy or did I hear somewhere that they will soon be increasing the gold payouts for hitting certain milestones (such as leveling a class to 50)?

Was I going crazy or did I hear somewhere that they will soon be increasing the gold payouts for hitting certain milestones (such as leveling a class to 50)?

There currently is no gold payout for hitting level 50. Would be nice if they added one. Would it pay out retroactively for people who have already passed 50?

There currently is no gold payout for hitting level 50. Would be nice if they added one. Would it pay out retroactively for people who have already passed 50?

They added gold rewards for leveling up in Heroes of the Storm and those gold rewards were retroactive for anyone that already surpassed those levels. I suspect if they were implemented in Hearthstone we'd be getting them retroactively also.

gutshot

I've got 1670 gold saved up and figured out that if BRM released on April 3 as rumored and I average 50 gold a day I will be able to buy each wing as it releases with 20 gold left over at the end. Anything above 50 gold a day will be spending money.

Will be nice to be able to buy packs and do arenas again!

gutshot

Well GvG was released on a Monday. So who knows? Anything after April 3rd would be fine by me though as I could save more money.

Danj

I had to buy it. The whole thing cost me £17.49 (I'd have had to spend 5 weeks playing every day to earn enough gold to buy it with gold). If they do a sale on Naxx when Blackrock comes out I will be super pissed :/

Anyway I am slowly working my way through the Naxx bosses, this deck beat Faerlina for me.

Ashodin

Holy shit Nefarian could be really dumb. Imagine getting two secrets :/

Drakonid Crusher is the next in line of receiving Battlecry: Get BGH'd

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nef seems interesting, but it's hard for me to to get excited about cards that cost MORE than 8 mana.

That Crusher card seems legit. I mean you could potentially get a 9/9 for 6 mana! The requirement isn't that crazy either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nef seems interesting, but it's hard for me to to get excited about cards that cost MORE than 8 mana.

That Crusher card seems legit. I mean you could potentially get a 9/9 for 6 mana! The requirement isn't that crazy either.

The idea behind dragon decks is basically to let you use the 9 cost dragons by giving you large bonuses in the early and mid game for holding on to a dragon.

If you blow BGH on a Crusher, then you have to contend with all the late game dragons or even another Crusher.

Or, conversely, if you use BGH to kill Alexstrasza, you might get Crushered afterwards.

Volcanic Drake's health sucks and reducing it's cost is too situational
Drakonid Crusher will be in many decks and ensures BGH is going absolutely nowhere (people will likely run 2). A great arena card
Nefarian is too slow and is a "win more" card.

Can't say I'm too excited with the cards released so far

embalm

Volcanic Drake... so is it 2 or 3 kills for this to be value? Sad about the stat distribution as it looks like a Shredder snack. If dragon decks are leaning towards control it will be common to trade on your turn, so maybe a minion with this mechanic will be good.
In a Zoo like deck where you trade weak minions into large minions a lot, this Drake might actually be good. Warlock wants to flood the board with discount minions to empty their hand and has the tools to consistently trade up. A turn 3 Volcanic Drake might be possible in zoo.

Drakonid Crusher... Is this a Molten Giant counter? I'm not sure how many 6 drops any deck can run, but Handlock might have the fear when facing Dragon Decks. As a vanilla 6/6 for 6 this will be a great arena card as well. I just don't even know if a 9/9 dragon is as good as Sylvanus in constructed control decks.

Nefarian is BGH bait, but the immediate value of drawing 2 cards is pretty good. The only other minion in the game that draws 2 cards is Ancient of Lore and his body is much weaker for 7 than Nef is for 9. Random spells isn't always what you want, but it might be the burn you need to finish a game out.
Just imagine all of the Nefarian & Malygos synergy!

Do we need some Dragon Taunts?

Ashodin

If you blow BGH on a Crusher, then you have to contend with all the late game dragons or even another Crusher.

Or, conversely, if you use BGH to kill Alexstrasza, you might get Crushered afterwards.
Nah by that time I've already got board control bro

But yeah, I foresee BGH being a staple in every deck after this.

ViviOggi

Nefarian is so dumb lol

Sounds fun to use but I don't think he's worth including over the other lategame dragons with how many situational and outright shit spells each class has. Say on average he's a 9 mana giant that gives you one decent removal spell, not that exciting is it.

Cards seem really cool, not to sure about Volcanic Drake but it seems like a card you'd want in say Zoo or Midrange. Have to remember that one trade makes it 4 mana and it can be played for free with a potential board clear. Wish it had more health though.

I wonder if the best way to nerf BGH is to add more early game BGH targets...

Ashodin

Cards seem really cool, to too sure about Volcanic Drake but it seems like a card you'd want in say Zoo or Midrange. Have to remember that one trade makes it 4 mana and it can be played for free with a potential board clear. Wish it had more health though.

I wonder if the best way to nerf BGH is to add more early game BGH targets...
Becomes stupid power creep. They fucked up when they made BGH. Kibler had it right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nah by that time I've already got board control bro

But yeah, I foresee BGH being a staple in every deck after this.

I'm assuming this is a deck running things like Blackwing Technician and Hungry Dragon focusing on early value trades and board clears since obviously it wouldn't be useful if you can't have any board control.

Becomes stupid power creep. They fucked up when they made BGH. Kibler had it right.
The thing is, would the game be better or worse without it? It has huge implications either way. I don't know card games enough to say myself though, but obviously it's going to be a very polar discussio.

Rapstah

What happens if you play Nefarian against any boss character? I can think of maybe two Naxxramas boss characters that have a class.

Edit: This almost confirms that the text-less mockups of legendary cards that flashed by in the BRM trailer were real, because that Nefarian was also a nine-mana card and had the exact same cutout of the same art. That would confirm 10/2 Magmaw for 5 mana and the 8/4 dragon for three mana.

Crusher and Nefarian are win-more cards. Crusher may see some play because it is a decent pull when in late-game top deck mode.

Drake is weak. Even as a 4-mana 6/4 it isn't good. You have the satisfy the condition of killing three minions before it becomes worthwhile, and even then, it is a 3 drop that will die to other 3-drops or buffed 2-drops.Now, admittedly, I'm thinking of these in a vacuum without the knowledge of how their Dragon type will benefit them, but as stand-alone cards they all seem kind of weak.

JesseZao

I was hoping Nef would have a board aoe theme like my fake card version. Still, two spells could be a great swing if you've stabilized before playing him.

Rapstah

Is Nefarian just strictly worse than Ysera? The average spell from any class has to be worse than the average Dream card, and the wild fluctuations in how much the two spells are going to cost means it's way harder to consistently use them the next turn. Also, he's BGH-able and Lightbombable.

ViviOggi

What happens if you play Nefarian against any boss character? I can think of maybe two Naxxramas boss characters that have a class.

Edit: This almost confirms that the text-less mockups of legendary cards that flashed by in the BRM trailer were real, because that Nefarian was also a nine-mana card and had the exact same cutout of the same art. That would confirm 10/2 Magmaw for 5 mana and the 8/4 dragon for three mana.

"Battlecry: Put Big Game Hunter from your opponent's deck into their hand and reduce its cost to (0). Otherwise gain -5/-1."

BGH problem solved
4mC962j.gif

Majine

Banned
I'm just imagining playing Neffy against rogue as a non-melee class.

"Oh great, deadly poison and Blade flurry. Gee thanks".

Hey, if you use BGH on a 6 mana drake, you still have rend to take care of nefarian :D

They have said some cards displayed are boss only cards and not collectible.

Ashodin

I'm assuming this is a deck running things like Blackwing Technician and Hungry Dragon focusing on early value trades and board clears since obviously it wouldn't be useful if you can't have any board control.
I'm curious to see this deck and if it works. Mechs work because they designed them really well with death rattles. These guys work based on holding back cards, which could be a terrible proposition.

Volcanic Drake could work pretty well with Muster for Battle, Imp-losion, Imp Boss, and Unleash the Hounds. The stats aren't great, but if you can play it for nearly free after clearing the board, it could be a pretty big swing.

Volcanic Drake could work pretty well with Muster for Battle, Imp-losion, Imp Boss, and Unleash the Hounds. The stats aren't great, but if you can play it for nearly free after clearing the board, it could be a pretty big swing.

Wild pyro + equality, then play a 6/4 for like 2 mana... I can see that working. That is about 4-5 worth of stats on the card so I don't know if it'll really be the ideal dragon for a 6 mana slot though.

Haunted

Drakonik Crusher will come in handy vs Handlock, I like it.

I like Nefarian, just as I like all the other big 9 mana 8/8 dragons - but a 9 mana minion that doesn't impact the board on the turn it is played and with more than 8 atk is really hard to justify in this BGH meta.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with BGH and Drakonid Crusher is that you then can't use the BGH for Dr. Boom (who will still see play IMO). So what are you going to do? Remove that 9/9 now and get rekt by the 9/9 worth of stats + battlecries or save it and get rekt the normal way.

Its a pretty great card to play in anything agressive as a finisher or a mid game tempo guy to force out that BGH before dropping your game ending legendaries (Rag, Boom, what have you). I love this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom