• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cycle of Trump:
Start new season
Getting highly ranked in legend
Stop playing ladder for a few days to preserve rank
Start playing rank again to bring back rank which has decayed
Fall
Change up decks
Fall further
End season

Ourobolus

Banned
So far, I am loving Rogue. Almost have enough cards to finish my Oil Rogue deck, but are there any decent alternative decks out there?

I've messed around with some of my own combos, which aren't bad, just restricted to my cards that I own.

Type2

So far, I am loving Rogue. Almost have enough cards to finish my Oil Rogue deck, but are there any decent alternative decks out there?

I've messed around with some of my own combos, which aren't bad, just restricted to my cards that I own.
There are control and aggro variants which take more finess than other classes to actually work. It's fun when then stars align.

Edit: is there a resource of known tricky card interactions anywhere on the web? I'm still making less than stellar moves on assumptions hearthstone uses a stack like in magic with abilities but most of them time they play out different from what I'd plan for them to do in my head. Silvannas is a little weird, zombie chow, some secrets aren't consistent between wording and actions. I'd just like to know what's supposed to happen in blizzard logic so I play accordingly.

Tacitus_

That Savjz deck

There are control and aggro variants which take more finess than other classes to actually work. It's fun when then stars align.

Edit: is there a resource of known tricky card interactions anywhere on the web? I'm still making less than stellar moves on assumptions hearthstone uses a stack like in magic with abilities but most of them time they play out different from what I'd plan for them to do in my head. Silvannas is a little weird, zombie chow, some secrets aren't consistent between wording and actions. I'd just like to know what's supposed to happen in blizzard logic so I play accordingly.

Deathrattles trigger in order of playing, so for example if you play a sylvanas and the opponent playes a skygolem, sylvanas won't steal the minion that pops out (assuming no other minions), if the skygolem is played first, sylvanas will steal the minion popping out. Mirror image is the only weird secret AFAIK since it copies minions after they've finished their intros, so you get buffed minions and you won't get the 3/3 of a faceless manipulator but whatever it copied.

ViviOggi

The main thing to keep in mind is when a minion (and in Death's Bite's case a weapon) was played as deathrattles like Sylvanas's are resolved consecutively starting with the oldest. Which secrets are you referring to? I'm only aware of Mirror Entity being a bit wonky.
That Savjz deck

Did he actually bring Hobodin to a tournament?

Tacitus_

The main thing to keep in mind is when a minion (and in Death's Bite's case a weapon) was played as deathrattles like Sylvanas's are resolved consecutively starting with the oldest. Which secrets are you referring to? I'm only aware of Mirror Entity being a bit wonky.

With wisps too!

E: Unstable to Krush? WE ESPORTS NOW

Rapstah

Deathrattle Hunter with two Abominations absolutely wrecked the zoo decks I faced today. Even got to do the Abomination + Rivendare + Feign Death 8 damage to both players semi-combo once. I don't think it counts as a combo if it loses you the game against competent players.

Type2

Mirror image is one but I'm confused as to why certain secrets don't trigger when you pop them yourself. I'm trying to think of an example like a hunter pinging himself for an explosive trigger or a paladin killing a guy for some of his secrets to pop by initiating a combat trade.
Sorry my card knowledge is still kind of bad.
Thanks for clarifying death rattle stuff. The zombie chow not healing you after your hero takes lethal with it dying before that damage resolves is stupid too.

Tacitus_

Mirror image is one but I'm confused as to why certain secrets don't trigger when you pop them yourself. I'm trying to think of an example like a hunter pinging himself for an explosive trigger or a paladin killing a guy for some of his secrets to pop by initiating a combat trade.
Sorry my card knowledge is still kind of bad.
Thanks for clarifying death rattle stuff. The zombie chow not healing you after your hero takes lethal with it dying before that damage resolves is stupid too.

Secrets can't trigger on the owners turn. So a paladin can't pop his avenge by trading on his turn.

And lethal is lethal, if you gain armor after dying that would've prevented the dying, too bad. You're still dead, but with armor points.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Made an adjustment to my Dragon Druid deck based on the new Blackwing Corruptor card. I removed Druid of the Claw because I felt like I needed to remove a couple 5 drops to keep my curve, and there was no way that Azure Drake was getting removed.

Lfw9rf4.jpg

I kind of feel like I want to cut a Keeper from this deck, but I have no idea what I would swap it with. Probably another dragon at the 3 or 6 slot, if something like that existed. I've thought of including a Faerie Dragon but that feels sub-optimal. Alexstrasza still feels like an "eh" inclusion at the moment. I am hoping Nefarian is better suited.

Zemm

The Cycle of Trump:
Start new season
Getting highly ranked in legend
Stop playing ladder for a few days to preserve rank
Start playing rank again to bring back rank which has decayed
Fall
Change up decks
Fall further
End season

It's funny because it's incredibly accurate.

It feels like a cycle this week, I'm seeing decks I was seeing 8-12 months ago. Mage and shaman in particular.

Type2

Secrets can't trigger on the owners turn. So a paladin can't pop his avenge by trading on his turn.

And lethal is lethal, if you gain armor after dying that would've prevented the dying, too bad. You're still dead, but with armor points.
Well I've had a zombie chow with taunt die in combat and then his minions finish me off with the death rattle triggering last. Shouldn't each combat effect trigger before the other attackers hit face?

Tacitus_

Well I've had a zombie chow with taunt die in combat and then his minions finish me off with the death rattle triggering last. Shouldn't each combat effect trigger before the other attackers hit face?

You had a zombie chow trigger? By your wording it seems that you had it, and its deathrattle heals the enemy. Otherwise, yes, the deathrattle would solve before the next minion could attack. You usually need a damaging effect (such as the hellfire spell) that kills both the chow / damages an armorsmith and kills the enemy for that weirdness to happen.

Type2

You had a zombie chow trigger? By your wording it seems that you had it, and its deathrattle heals the enemy. Otherwise, yes, the deathrattle would solve before the next minion could attack. You usually need a damaging effect (such as the hellfire spell) that kills both the chow / damages an armorsmith and kills the enemy for that weirdness to happen.
Oh no, my wording is wrong. I'm at work trying to gaf and not proof reading my posts. The exact situation was someone used a zombie chow and some other minions to kill my zombie chow which had taunt. He qued up all his attacks killing my zombie with a damaged zombie chow and another minion and the rest of his board hit for lethal. Both our chows triggered after I died and all the minions finished attacking.
I've seen that hellfire interaction in arena a few times too.

Tacitus_

Oh no, my wording is wrong. I'm at work trying to gaf and not proof reading my posts. The exact situation was someone used a zombie chow and some other minions to kill my zombie chow which had taunt. He qued up all his attacks killing my zombie with a damaged zombie chow and another minion and the rest of his board hit for lethal. Both our chows triggered after I died and all the minions finished attacking.
I've seen that hellfire interaction in arena a few times too.

It should've triggered then, unless it was silenced.

gutshot

Made an adjustment to my Dragon Druid deck based on the new Blackwing Corruptor card. I removed Druid of the Claw because I felt like I needed to remove a couple 5 drops to keep my curve, and there was no way that Azure Drake was getting removed.

Lfw9rf4.jpg

I kind of feel like I want to cut a Keeper from this deck, but I have no idea what I would swap it with. Probably another dragon at the 3 or 6 slot, if something like that existed. I've thought of including a Faerie Dragon but that feels sub-optimal. Alexstrasza still feels like an "eh" inclusion at the moment. I am hoping Nefarian is better suited.

Looks pretty good although Onyxia still feels like a worse version of Cenarius to me. But I suppose with dragon synergy she fits better in this type of deck.

They still haven't revealed either of the druid BRM cards yet, right? Hopefully they are good as the druid cards in both Naxx and GvG have pretty much sucked.

Just got around to watching Kinguin. It was a sad, sad day at House Archon. :p

Started late in the season, had a rough set of days, quit playing, removed HS from PC.

Decided to give it a go again today (not trying to make Midrange Shaman work for me anymore... >.>) . Went from Rank 9 to Rank 1. Almost Legend. @_@ 71% winrate so far. 43 out of 77 games were against Hunter. :l

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looks pretty good although Onyxia still feels like a worse version of Cenarius to me. But I suppose with dragon synergy she fits better in this type of deck.

They still haven't revealed either of the druid BRM cards yet, right? Hopefully they are good as the druid cards in both Naxx and GvG have pretty much sucked.

Onyxia feels pretty good to me. She's the big dragon I wouldn't cut. She's scary as heck with Savage Roar. Think about how desperately you are begging for AoE when you see a Druid unexpectedly play Dark Whispers. Onyxia is basically that, plus an 8/8.

She was always one of the best legendaries in arena which always told me she was just shy of making the cut in constructed. Now that Dragon matters, I think Onyxia will see play. Especially in Druid.

And yeah, neither of the new Druid cards have been revealed, but it doesn't look like at this point that the class cards will have Dragon synergy.

egruntz

shelaughz
Yeah, fucking wake me up after this mindless aggro bullshit meta is over. Hopefully Blackrock changes this shit cause this is just not fun to play in. At all.

Cycle Rogue is fairly strong. It's a more aggressive variant on Oil Rogue.

Yeah, fucking wake me up after this mindless aggro bullshit meta is over. Hopefully Blackrock changes this shit cause this is just not fun to play in. At all.

Blackrock looks like it'll be fairly control oriented, as most of the cards spoiled so far fit better in Control decks.Unfortunately, due to the nature of Control, new aggro decks will probably rise up first and then new Control/Midrange decks will follow.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah, added Kezan Mystic to my control warrior. Too many fucking mages playing mirror entity right now. Nerf mad scientist already, jesus christ.

ViviOggi

Kripp's chat is slaying me right now

MY OPPONENT HAS A TORSO

MY OPPONENT GREW FROM A FETUS

Well met Kripparrian! This is the Abused Children Rehab Center. We would like to encourage you to adopt a child since we can tell by your arena runs that you would never beat anyone. Please get back to us soon. Thanks for your time!

Hatchtag

Banned
Well met Kripparrian! This is the Abused Children Rehab Center. We would like to encourage you to adopt a child since we can tell by your arena runs that you would never beat anyone. Please get back to us soon. Thanks for your time!

hahahahahahhahaa

Got my first legendary today! Felt damn good man. Now to figure out how to integrate Hogger into a deck.

Biochet

Kripp's chat is slaying me right now

MY OPPONENT HAS A TORSO

MY OPPONENT GREW FROM A FETUS

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚ Copypastus Totalus!

Zemm

Four games played this morning and two had people who would make their turn then just let the rope burn out, so satisfying beating both of those, but my God this game is full of cunts.

ViviOggi

Put Brawl back in and keep a Whirlwind just for the Paladin shitlord matchup, literally the two bottom cards of my deck

Still won through LoH and 4 Trusilver charges to the face but it could've been such a chill game

I've grown to absolutely loathe Brawl too but it's a necessary evil these days

I know all of you have seen some bad packs, but I wanted to share one I recently got. Hilarious in its brutal suckiness. :)

-Gnomeregan Infantry
-Gnomeregan Infantry
-Clockwork Gnome
-Clockwork Gnome
RARE: Target Dummy

Legend Rank 1, here I come.

I know all of you have seen some bad packs, but I wanted to share one I recently got. Hilarious in its brutal suckiness. :)

-Gnomeregan Infantry
-Gnomeregan Infantry
-Clockwork Gnome
-Clockwork Gnome
RARE: Target Dummy

Legend Rank 1, here I come.

That's amazing.

By the way, does a midrange or tempo Rogue still exist in this meta at all?

kiryani

OK , So I've been away for 3 days.

What the fuck is this mage deck that I've just played on ladder 20 times in a row.

Kezan Mystic in then?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not twitch, but I started video capping one Hearthstone match a day on my Nexus 7. Then I am just throwing it up on YT. Quality of the video is good, but the program only records audio through the mic vs direct feed. :/

Hearthstone Match 3-24-15:

I'm a n00b so beware. LoL

JesseZao

Reddit sleuths have BRM coming out on April 2/3 depending on timezone. They found the date from a korean blizz site telling people that they could refund before the 1st wing release (April 3rd 05:59 KST).

Sooner than I expected.

ViviOggi

OK , So I've been away for 3 days.

What the fuck is this mage deck that I've just played on ladder 20 times in a row.

Kezan Mystic in then?
Sure. Kezan, Harrison and TBK are all pretty much equally viable in the current meta, which ones you pick just depends on the most common matchups at your rank/region.

Counter the decks you like to face the least because after you've teched against them you'll never see them again

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reddit sleuths have BRM coming out on April 2/3 depending on timezone. They found the date from a korean blizz site telling people that they could refund before the 1st wing release (April 3rd 05:59 KST).

Sooner than I expected.

Blizzard is fairly on the ball with release timings these days, which is a large change from what they've done post Frozen Throne.

ViviOggi

That's amazing.

By the way, does a midrange or tempo Rogue still exist in this meta at all?
There's this deck that floods the board with Defias and all of the cheap draw minions, I guess that qualifies as midrange. You still use Oil/Flurry for burst because what else is even left. It's supposed to be decent but I've only encountered it once and rekt it to oblivion.

gutshot

It's not twitch, but I started video capping one Hearthstone match a day on my Nexus 7. Then I am just throwing it up on YT. Quality of the video is good, but the program only records audio through the mic vs direct feed. :/

Hearthstone Match 3-24-15:

I'm a n00b so beware. LoL

Nice win. That hunter was pretty bad though. Using 6 mana worth of cards to kill one Annoy-O-Tron was lulz.

Any particular reason you are running Drain Life over Darkbomb?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nice win. That hunter was pretty bad though. Using 6 mana worth of cards to kill one Annoy-O-Tron was lulz.

Any particular reason you are running Drain Life over Darkbomb?

Idk? I'm pretty sure I have both in my deck, but I'm not sure if I have 1 or two of either.

I was only playing Lock cause I have a daily quest. Like I said I'm still a n00b and I lack a ton of cards still. :/

Oh and yeah that Hunter was lol.

Rapstah

Fake card time. The Scarlet Monastery was one of my favourite WoW instances back when it was new, and it's still okay even though they've re-designed the whole thing twice (???) for no apparent reason. I don't think there are any Scarlet Crusade cards except for that Paladin GvG card that does two damage to all minions with Deathrattle, and totally failed to see any use because Undertaker was nerfed and Deathrattle decks aren't consistent or popular enough.

A problem with releasing Scarlet Monastery cards is how limited they'd be in classes. Either you would have to make them all neutral cards, which severely limits how cool effects the legendaries could have, or the only classes that would get class cards based on the real instance would be Paladin, Priest, Warrior and maybe Hunter. Maybe you'd have to turn it into a Stratholme pack so the other classes could get some representation from the undead bosses.

d13290c5.png

Priest card because Mograine would obviously be a Paladin card. Rivendare stats for the same mana as Rivendare. For this card to be useful, the Scarlet Monastery expansion would probably also have to add some big taunt minions without Divine Shield so you wouldn't have to rely on Mind Controlling an enemy Tirion Fordring.

bd0fe75d.png

Deathlord with an arguably positive effect for way more mana, but also means you can't use Silver Hand Recruits while he's out. I can't tell if this effect is way too good or slightly too bad. Yes, the intent is that it kills buffed 3/3 or 5/5 dudes too, and your opponent's dudes as well.

Herod would be a Warrior Legendary and that guy with the dogs would probably be a Hunter card.

Fake edit: Bloodmage Thalnos is absolutely a Scarlet Monastery card. Forgot about him.

Blizzard is fairly on the ball with release timings these days, which is a large change from what they've done post Frozen Throne.
Do you happen to remember when Naxx released? I forget if it was a Tuesday or not. If it was, then we may have to wait a week.

To continue on with the Scarlet Monastery card;

Herod could do something like a Whirl Wind of some sort each turn. Works well with how he fights and works well with Warrior cards.

Houndmaster Braun should do some temporary effect, maybe a board wide Beastial Wrath or something.

This is why I love Hearthstone, it's so good to people who've played Warcraft. I can just see Herod yelling "Blades of light!" and wrecking the whole board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom