• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yall don't watch Kripparrian? He's the only one I really know and a really nice guy with a non-nerdy voice

(sorry but I just can't stand watching people with a really nerdy voice that seem like they are awkward in the real world)

Kripparian streams at really awkward hours for US. Also he gets really salty in arena sometimes.

New blog post, with two new cards.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/18390553/blackrock-mountain-the-dragons-of-blackwing-lair-3-24-2015

6QGLN2YUUM2Y1426814991035.jpg

NWVVOO9R9PHX1426814991250.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well the Fire Elemental-alike seems like an auto include in a dragon deck.

Dragon's Breath seems much harder to fit into something. Like... it's extremely situational.

ViviOggi

Yeah, you need to kill 4 minions to make it slightly better than Frostbolt. Blackwing Corruptor on the other hand is pretty damn good. He's essentially a Fire Ele for dragon decks and on turn 5 potentially even more clutch.

If you have a dragon, Blackwing Corruptor is literally a five mana fire elemental. The only use I can see with Dragon's breath is a follow up flamestrike clean up to deal with big minions. I guess you could also develop a mage token aggro deck with cheap spells and violet teacher, but mage doesn't have as good token generators. Actually warlock has the best token generators now with implosion and imp boss.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Corruptor seems nice for a dragon deck since it's so similar to fire ele.

Dragon's breath sounds way too awkward. Even flamecannon can generally work around the 'random' part to output 4 damage at 2 mana.

JesseZao

Love the corrupter.

DB could be a piece in an all burn deck with Sorcs or freeze mage deck. Seems way too expensive to use atm. I don't see mech mage using it.

bjaelke

Yeah, you need to kill 4 minions to make it slightly better than Frostbolt. Blackwing Corruptor on the other hand is pretty damn good. He's essentially a Fire Ele for dragon decks and on turn 5 potentially even more clutch.
At least you can suicide your own minions to add to the total tally.

Honestly it should be +dmg for each minion killed that turn.

Rapstah

Dragon's Breath seems like it's meant to be played after Flamestrike for free. Maybe that way you could get two free Fireballs out of an Antonidas too, although the board where you have an Antonidas out and can still Flamestrike for value is a stupid idea.

Doomsayer kills everything at the start of your turn, right? It'd be free after a good Doomsayer, since the Doomsayer dies too.

Only positive to Dragon's Breath is that it can hit face. Clear the board and a free four damage I guess. The problem is making room for it, which is next to impossible.

embalm

Yeah Dragon Breast seems like an Arena only card at best. Not sure what they were thinking.
I think Dragon's Breath is a Mage Arena nerf. It has crap conditions to make it valuable and doesn't stack up against Fireball in any way. It's a crappy Mage common and that means Mages have a slightly lower chance to pick their great commons.

gutshot

I think Dragon's Breath could be as good or better than Flamecannon in many cases. You only need to make 2 trades for it to cost less than Flamecannon and it would be targetable. Many times you have to trade off minions for Flamecannon to hit the right minion anyway, so Dragon's Breath could be better in those scenarios.

embalm

So this is pretty much an auto-include in ANY dragon deck right? It's a cheaper fire elemental with better(edit: same) stat allocation. The card is pretty boring, but I am pretty sure it's going to be a staple in dragon decks.

Also what's up with showing almost all of the neutral cards? I want to see some Priest, Pally, and Druid cards! I wonder if sense those are the control oriented classes if they are holding big class specific dragons.

Can't wait for this:

Turn 3: Blackwing Technician - 3/5
Turn 4: Hungry Dragon - 5/6
Turn 5: Corruptor - 5/4 kill the two drop

Papercuts

Isn't Cairne perfect for control? (and any other minion that summons a minion on death)

Piloted Sky Golem just seems straight up better than Cairne for the same slot. Sludge Belchers fuck him up bigtime since he has to hit twice, while the golem hits and survives, and even if there's variance the 4 drop pool are generally great.

gutshot

I think Dragon's Breath is a Mage Arena nerf. It has crap conditions to make it valuable and doesn't stack up against Fireball in any way. It's a crappy Mage common and that means Mages have a slightly lower chance to pick their great commons.

I don't think it is that crappy in arena though. It's about on par with Flamecannon IMO. Flamecannon is probably better in the early game when you are guaranteed a kill on a 2 or 3 drop while Dragon's Breath is better late game when you can initiate a few trades and then get a targetable Flamecannon or a Soufire-without-the-discard out of it. It also combos very well with Flamestrike.

I'll be interested in how it gets rated by the good arena players but I'd say it will be maybe one tier below Flamecannon/Frostbolt on most lists. Certainly well above the real crappy Mage commons like Arcane Explosion and Ice Lance.

ViviOggi

Isn't Cairne perfect for control? (and any other minion that summons a minion on death)
Cairne is beyond awful with Belcher and Sylvanas and Loatheb being midgame drops found in almost every non-aggro deck, Belcher and Loatheb even come out a turn ahead of him. He's unplayably slow versus aggro and Priests will steal him as soon as they have access to 8 mana which is gg right there. I don't see a single upside in running him today.

embalm

I don't think it is that crappy in arena though. It's about on par with Flamecannon IMO. Flamecannon is probably better in the early game when you are guaranteed a kill on a 2 or 3 drop while Dragon's Breath is better late game when you can initiate a few trades and then get a targetable Flamecannon or a Soufire-without-the-discard out of it. It also combos very well with Flamestrike.

I'll be interested in how it gets rated by the good arena players but I'd say it will be maybe one tier below Flamecannon/Frostbolt on most lists. Certainly well above the real crappy Mage commons like Arcane Explosion and Ice Lance.
Dragon Breath just requires too much. The kills have to be done on your turn, so you have to have minions that survived your opponents turn or another spell to cast, then 3 kills is what it requires before it is a value spell. As a come from behind card you are better off with just about any other spell.

Flame cannon (2) - It can hit stealthed minions. You can manipulate the board to make it hit what you want usually. It can be played early. It can help you recover when you're behind.

Frostbolt (2) - 3 damage and freeze. The freeze allows stalling in late game or addition damage across turns with hero power. No conditions.

Fireball (4) - 6 damage can take out some of the biggest threats in the game and has no conditions for play. It's literally one of the best cards in the game.

I think Ice Lance is a better card to compare it to. It's very situational, but complete value in the right situation. Ice Lance can be built around in a deck though and Dragon Breath has to be played into on the board. They are both situational, which means they aren't good in arena.

Dahbomb

It being a Mage card actually makes it worse. There are too many better options in the Mage's arsenal.

As far as the Flamestrike combo goes... if something survive a Flamestrike then you can just kill it with Frost Bolt as well. Nothing is that big where you absolutely need that extra one point of damage from Dragon's Breath. Frost Bolt freezes for a turn allowing you to ping them down next turn which ends up being the same (not quite the same but in most cases it does end up dealing 4 damage to the target).

Really curious to see the potential with dragon decks. A couple more cards on par with Technician and Corruptor and I could see Deathwing, Onyxia, Ysera and in some cases Malygos finding their way into decks much more often than they currently do. I'm especially curious to see how much more play Onyxia sees after the adventure wraps up.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Corrupter is awesome. Incredibly strong for a neutral card. Can only be played in a dragon deck obviously, but in dragon decks it is awesome.

Dragon's breath has no place unless someone creates a kind of token mage. But mage doesn't really have cards to support a token archetype. This card would make a lot more sense in something like paladin. Probably won't see much play at all. It just feels so much worse than frost bolt and flame cannon.

gutshot

Dragon Breath just requires too much. The kills have to be done on your turn, so you have to have minions that survived your opponents turn or another spell to cast, then 3 kills is what it requires before it is a value spell. As a come from behind card you are better off with just about any other spell.

Flame cannon (2) - It can hit stealthed minions. You can manipulate the board to make it hit what you want usually. It can be played early. It can help you recover when you're behind.

Frostbolt (2) - 3 damage and freeze. The freeze allows stalling in late game or addition damage across turns with hero power. No conditions.

Fireball (4) - 6 damage can take out some of the biggest threats in the game and has no conditions for play. It's literally one of the best cards in the game.

I think Ice Lance is a better card to compare it to. It's very situational, but complete value in the right situation. Ice Lance can be built around in a deck though and Dragon Breath has to be played into on the board. They are both situational, which means they aren't good in arena.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it is better than Frostbolt or Fireball, which are two of the best cards in the game in arena. I'm just disagreeing with it being a crappy Mage common intended to nerf Mages in arena. I think it is a perfectly reasonable pick in arena, about on par with Flamecannon, since the condition required to make it good is something you are doing a lot of in arena anyway.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Dragon's Breath is a bummer of a card. I really wanted something more interesting for mage. That flamewalker looks like the bee's knees, but this spell is just underwhelming in all cases. It seems like the exact definition of a "win more" card. Flamestrike combo obviously.

But if I'm picking it for that, meh. In arena you aren't going to want to get this over Flamestrike or Flamecannon or (probably) Frostbolt unless you already have loads of those others. A strike out even in arena. Bummer.

FeD.nL

Dragon's Breath might have a place in freeze mage.

Edit: I even think it can be decent in Mech Mage. Each minion counts so since you are trading Anyways it might be a good card to make favorable trades easier to accomplish.

JesseZao

Man, Dragon's Breath is a bummer of a card. I really wanted something more interesting for mage. That flamewalker looks like the bee's knees, but this spell is just underwhelming in all cases. It seems like the exact definition of a "win more" card. Flamestrike combo obviously.

But if I'm picking it for that, meh. In arena you aren't going to want to get this over Flamestrike or Flamecannon or (probably) Frostbolt unless you already have loads of those others. A strike out even in arena. Bummer.

I suppse that DB combined with Flamewalker and another spell could put on the hurt. Will definitely try it out, but doesn't look that good yet.

Sblargh

Banned
That's how Arcane Golem looks when you summon it. It's its Battlecry giving you a mana crystal. Your client was just out of sync with the game, showing you the minion attacking before it had had time to show the opponent drawing it. This happens all the time with the spectator client because that has worse sync problems.

Oh. Cool. Phew.

embalm

I hope most of the remaining cards are actually dragons. There are a lot of synergy cards for holding dragons, but I'm not sure if there are enough Dragons to support an entire deck yet.
5 Synergy cards that depend on Dragons: BWTech, BW Corruptor, & Rend are all hold a dragon.
At least 10 Dragons are needed to pull of the syneragy: Azure Drake, Hungry Dragon, Twilight Drake, and 2 legendary dragons, maybe Faerie Dragon or Dragonkin Sorcerer.

Is that way to big of a gap to fill with spells and other cards?

Cat Party

If you make a minion trade, DB is 4 damage for 3 mana, which is okay. The real appeal is to be able to kill one extra minion after your flamestrike on turn 7, as has been said. That's the only way it can be truly better than frostbolt. It lets you kill Dr Boom the same turn you flamestrike his bots, potentially.

embalm

Yeah, I'm not arguing that it is better than Frostbolt or Fireball, which are two of the best cards in the game in arena. I'm just disagreeing with it being a crappy Mage common intended to nerf Mages in arena. I think it is a perfectly reasonable pick in arena, about on par with Flamecannon, since the condition required to make it good is something you are doing a lot of in arena anyway.
I read this and it seems like a pretty crazy usage of the spell, so maybe there are ways to squeeze the value out of it.

"(And I'm imagining Freeze Mage with turn 8 Doomsayer + Blizzard into turn 9 Alexstraza + 2 free Dragon Breaths to face, since Doomsayer kills things on your turn. Suddenly Healbot only brings you back up to 15 even after Alex)."

Edit:
Thought I would add that I still agree with ViviOggi, the card is going to be hard to find a place where it belongs. Mage just has too many other solid options. If it were almost any other class I really think the card would be played a lot, especially classes with tokens like Zoo, Druid, and even Oil Rogue.

ViviOggi

If you make a minion trade, DB is 4 damage for 3 mana, which is okay. The real appeal is to be able to kill one extra minion after your flamestrike on turn 7, as has been said. That's the only way it can be truly better than frostbolt. It lets you kill Dr Boom the same turn you flamestrike his bots, potentially.

For that to work your opponent would have to have 3 (2 on turn 8) extra <4 HP minions on the board which is an insane fringe case. The rest of the time you're holding a glorified Frostbolt for 5 mana.

Even if it lets you kill something extra after flamestriking once in a blue moon you're sacrificing a whole second card, and slots are as valuable in Freeze Mage as the curve is in arena. Running this to make Flamestrike into a Hyper-Swipe is a pipe dream.

Edit: Right, Doomsayer triggers at the beginning of your turn. That's one decent but still highly situational synergy, remains to be seen if it's worth the slots.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Ok friends, I decided to jump in and give it a shot, since I like card games and don't feel like the hassle of keeping up with Magic is worth the money. What is the general advice of getting into this?
Should I unlock all of the basic decks and cards first before adventuring into the card packs? Do I need to buy card packs? What decks, if any, should I concentrate my efforts on? Thanks!

Rapstah

Ok friends, I decided to jump in and give it a shot, since I like card games and don't feel like the hassle of keeping up with Magic is worth the money. What is the general advice of getting into this?
Should I unlock all of the basic decks and cards first before adventuring into the card packs? Do I need to buy card packs? What decks, if any, should I concentrate my efforts on? Thanks!

You'll get a couple of card packs, and the money to buy a couple more, just from unlocking the basics, so you don't have to decide right away how to approach the game.

daemissary

Unlock all of the basic decks first. There are decent Hunter and Warlock decks that can be made with purely basic cards so I would use those to complete daily quests and decide if you want to spend money from there. I've gotten to the point where I have all of the cards I want without spending money but it might be harder to do that now since the card pool is so much bigger than it was at the beginning.

Although, if you're a pretty decent Magic player then I would recommend playing in arena instead of buying packs once you get the hang of it.

ViviOggi

First thing you should do is getting each class to level 10 to unlock the full basic card set (and doing the AI-related 'hidden quests' in the process). You don't need to buy packs with real money to compete, daily quest gold alone gets you a pack every two days on average, and getting gud at arena always helps. There's also a video on how to spend your gold/dust/money in the OP among other useful resources.

And welcome.

Levi

Banned

The only thing I'd add is when you decide to spend money, do it on the adventures first before buying packs. You can get 70 packs with the gold it'd cost to unlock Naxx and Brm.

tylerf

Man is it a mindfuck when you play a tempo mage thinking it's going to be the same netdecked list as the last 15 tempo mages when suddenly they've added a 2nd counterspell and it completely wrecks you.

ViviOggi

Man is it a mindfuck when you play a tempo mage thinking it's going to be the same netdecked list as the last 15 tempo mages when suddenly they've added a 2nd counterspell and it completely wrecks you.

At this point I'm convinced that Tempo Mages are just autofilling their decks

Papercuts

First thing you should do is getting each class to level 10 to unlock the full basic card set (and doing the AI-related 'hidden quests' in the process). You don't need to buy packs with real money to compete, daily quest gold alone gets you a pack every two days on average, and getting gud at arena always helps. There's also a video on how to spend your gold/dust/money in the OP among other useful resources.

And welcome.

There's a quest for the full expert set?

Is that like...every card pre-naxx/gvg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom