• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

The only Hunter and Mage decks that are worth playing right now use Secrets.

There are absolutely 0 decks in the current meta that are good, Hunter/Mage decks that don't rely on Secrets + Mad Scientist.

Got my first 12 win arena run this morning! My highest was 11 before but today I went 12-1.
lHHghGy.jpg
Not Shown: Stranglethorn Tiger, Blizzard, 2x Boulderfist Ogres, Flamestrike, Dr. Boom, Force Tank Max

Meh awards.

Meh pack.

Since the new expansion was revealed, it seems like a lot of streamers and community personalities have received "exclusive cards" to reveal. The basic principle behind this isn't new: dish out "exclusive content" for different media outlets to reveal and you create tons of articles and buzz for your product. But this is the first time I have noticed community personalities having such a big part in this.

I guess Blizz has noticed just how many eyes they draw in: Twitch.tv has, at the time of writing, over 50k viewers watching HS.

gutshot

Amaz will be revealing this card on stream tomorrow.

CLK5uBZWUAAGJt9.png

Looks like a new mage burn spell. Good thing, because Mage's definitely need another burn spell.

Mages now get a literal nuke as a spell! It kind of looks like a missile.

Could be a weapon breaking spell but there are already Oozes and Pirates for that. Could have an extra effect though, deal damage per weapon damage or something. It's only common, so it won't be that crazy.

Magnus

I can't help but get salty at all the 12-wins with God-tier decks. Lol.

I rarely seem to get past 3 wins, but my card choices are always dick. Never any staples (fireball, frosbolt, polymorph, flamestrike, etc), never any epics or legendaries, never any mild-good synergies.

embalm

I rarely seem to get past 3 wins, but my card choices are always dick. Never any staples (fireball, frosbolt, polymorph, flamestrike, etc), never any epics or legendaries, never any mild-good synergies.
I think to get good at arena you have to play a lot of Arena. I don't think constructed is even close to the same type of game. Actually I think the closest thing Hearthstone has had to free arena practice was the tavern brawl with 30 random card decks.

You have to like that mode of gameplay, which I always have. It always felt like a much more even playing field as a new player. You have to be able to handle the bullshit you get shoved into sometimes, like a perfect tempo mage opener when you draw all of your late game and play nothing until turn 4. You have to go into it expecting to lose your extra 50 gold for a pack.

On another note, I've been hot on arena runs for the past month. Hitting 6+ wins at a minimum. This week I've played twice. 1-3 and 2-3. One of those runs was with an amazing priest deck that I thought was going to go 12 wins. The hearthstone gods giveth and they taketh away.

So any guesses on what that Warlock spell is? It's a satyr on the card which makes me wonder if it's a minion transformation spell. I think it'd be cool for Warlocks to be able to turn any minion into a Demon, especially if they get more Demon orientated cards/spells.

ViviOggi

Unless you play like 1 game a month that's statistically impossible, we're talking about commons here. And the backbone of a deck are a good curve, then minion quality, tbh those two are more important than getting lots of swing cards. I'll post my last 12-1 deck once I'm back at my PC, it was a Warlock draft pretty much without gimmicks except for one Voidcaller.

Don't worry. You'll get it eventually. I was garbage at arena because I played the game in the opposite direction you're supposed to when you're starting out (playing constructed first, arena whenever) lol. It took a while for it to become natural when picking cards and even now I go back and forth when tough choices come up. My wins gradually got higher over time the more I played.

gutshot

Just keep playing. The card choices will even out eventually.

Also measuring success in arena by 12-win runs is not a great idea. 12 win runs take skill, sure, but they also take a fair bit of luck as well. Being consistent in getting to 6, 7 or 8 wins is a better measure of arena skill IMO.

Loomba

Facehunter using Snipe instead of the usual traps hit my voidwalker and pulled out a Malganis haha. He had no way of dealing with it.

Raxus

Kezan Mystic?

Kezan mystic doesn't work for several reasons.
1) I usually don't want to steal a secret from my enemy.
2) horrific stats means any deck its placed in will do badly against the other 7 decks (because paladin doesn't count) it is placed in.
3) Only takes care of one secret. Harrison doesn't take care of just one charge of a weapon.
4) Destroys it meaning if the meta shifted for more anti secret play the other decks couldn't counter with the same damn card and steal it back.
5) We gave several cards that deal with weapon that only a handful of classes have, why is there only two for secrets. One of which is class specific card from a class that uses secrets.
6) With more and more secrets entering play it is just less of a headache for everyone involved to introduce more counters to it.
7) Secrets are so rampant because there really is no counter play to them and Mad Scientist is just too good.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The only Hunter and Mage decks that are worth playing right now use Secrets.

There are absolutely 0 decks in the current meta that are good, Hunter/Mage decks that don't rely on Secrets + Mad Scientist.

Yep. Get rid of of secrets and you basically relegate Mage and Hunter towards the bottom of the pack.

Then everyone would just play Lock or Patron Warrior even more so than they already are.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kezan Mystic is almost better than Harrison Jones. You destroy the secret, draw a card, play it for free. It's like how the effect on Mad Scientist is better than Loot Hoarder.

You don't kill multiple secrets with it but that would be straight up broke.

Dahbomb

Would be cool to have a 2 drop minion that just destroys secrets instead of stealing. Sort of like the Ooze to Harrison Jones.

Kezan Mystic on paper is a godlike counter to Secrets... its only problem is that if everyone puts in Kezan Mystics then the Secret classes start putting in Kezan Mystics as well to counter the counter. This already happened a while back, Mages/Hunter ran Kezans for a while to protect their secrets. That was the day when I was like "fuck it, just not going to bother with Kezan at all!"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) I usually don't want to steal a secret from my enemy.
I don 't know why you would ever want to give up card advantage but okay.

2) horrific stats means any deck its placed in will do badly against the other 7 decks (because paladin doesn't count) it is placed in.
Is this not true of Harrison?

Kezan is 4/3 for 4, Harrison is 5/4 for 5. This progression is linear and that's no accident. I'm confident that Kezan was designed specifically to be a smaller Harrison for Secrets.

3) Only takes care of one secret. Harrison doesn't take care of just one charge of a weapon.
It takes the "entire" secret, like Harrison takes the "entire" weapon. The advantage you gain is proportional to the "size" of the secret/weapon at the time you take/destroy it.

4) Destroys it meaning if the meta shifted for more anti secret play the other decks couldn't counter with the same damn card and steal it back.
Well I think that's better than the binary "Am I playing against Weapons? Yes/No" nature of Harrison. Furthermore, there are Weapons with Deathrattles although only one is actually any good. The same is not true of Secrets. This is why Assassinate is actually much worse than Polymorph in practice.

5) We gave several cards that deal with weapon that only a handful of classes have, why is there only two for secrets. One of which is class specific card from a class that uses secrets.
Because Weapons were designed to be enormous sources of potential card advantage. Case in point: 3 damage for 2 mana is the gold standard by which Blizzard creates 2 mana damage spells.

Fiery War Axe? 6 damage in potentia.

6) With more and more secrets entering play it is just less of a headache for everyone involved to introduce more counters to it.
What more Secrets are being played? Most decks these days still run between 2-4, which is more or less what they ran ages ago before people figured out that Secrets are ass. Freeze Mage runs the whole suite, but then again they always have, even before the advent of Mad Scientist.

7) Secrets are so rampant because there really is no counter play to them and Mad Scientist is just too good.
The counterplay is built in to the nature of Secrets. The fact that you know they're there, and what kind of deck you're facing, allows you to predict/overcome the Secret.

Kezan Mystic was intended to combat secrets, but it's not particularly good at it. Kezan actually works better in decks that play secrets as a means to protect their investment than it does as a defense against secrets.
I'd say it's pretty good. For one, it give you lethal on a lot of Freeze mages, by far the most Secret-happy deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
We wouldn't be having all this talk about having more counters to secrets if Mad Scientist wasnt completely busted.

Fix the goddamn root of the problem.

Copenap

"Destroy all enemy secrets and gain health equal to their combined mana cost."

Or

"Destroy all enemy secrets and get +1+1 for each destroyed secret."

Edit: 2 Mana 2/2

The meta would be a lot slower if they add 10 HP to the heroes. Would be a lot harder to burst you down from 40 to 0 and give people more time to recover and stablize.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pretty much. I'm not sure how far you back you guys played but only two vanilla decks played Secrets before Mad Scientist.

Face Hunter: Because of the synergy
Freeze Mage: Because they needed the stall (and Freeze faded out for a long time)

People aren't playing Secrets everywhere these days because they're good. They're playing them to enable Mad Scientist.
The meta would be a lot slower if they add 10 HP to the heroes. Would be a lot harder to burst you down from 40 to 0 and give people more time to recover and stablize.

Too much of a change to be worth the headache. It would destroy any and all semblance of inter-class balance.

Dahbomb

You can put in as many Secret counters into the game as you want.

The fact is that only two classes actually use secrets which means that your tech cards will be useless in 7 other match ups.

Furthermore, it's not going to deter Mages/Hunters from using Scientists/Secrets.

The root of the problem is and always has been Mad Scientist. Before that if you wanted to use Secrets you needed a good reason for including them (like Ice Block and Freeze Mage) and at that stage Secrets were perfectly fine. Now you play whatever deck is the strongest and add in Mad Scientist + a few traps to make the deck ridiculous.

Opiate

I think the best argument against Kezan is mystic is that, quite unlike Harrison, the best decks to run Kezan in are decks that run secrets themselves. It's a peculiar weakness of Kezan that isn't true of Harrison.

Non secret decks can use Kezan to steal secrets from Mages, Hunters and Paladins. If a Mage runs a Kezan, however, he can steal secrets from enemy Mages/Hunter/Paladins, and also steal back his own secrets if an enemy is running Kezan themselves.

Phawx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom