• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

embalm

I'm really beginning to wonder if the Inspire synergy is better than we are giving it credit for. Many of the Inspire cards are coming out as not good enough in our eyes. Maybe their play testing is showing that comboed inspires are worth more than the 1 to 2 mana of stats that are missing from all the Inspire cards.
It's frustrating to see all of these cards that could be incredible, fall just shy of great.

I really can't stand the drip feed card release. I want to know all the synergies!

Opiate

At this point it's almost a given that one of the cards to be revealed will have battlecry- trigger your hero power.

There has to be, right? How else can you possibly explain the cards we're seeing?

Ancient watcher is 4/5 cannot attack. This new card is 2/4 cannot attack for the same mana.

Which means they think "use your hero power: can attack this turn" is worth 2/1 in stat deduction. That is very harsh unless there is some new way to trigger your hero power more often.

Something like a 3 mana cost 3/3 with battlecry: trigger your hero power would instantly make many of these cards we've seen far more playable.

Dahbomb

Inspire mechanic right now basically works like this (for most cards):

*If you don't Inspire with the card then they are pure trash or below average.

*If you Inspire once with them then they become either average or a bit above average.

*If you Inspire twice with them then they become insane or well above average.

*If you Inspire with two or more minions then the Inspire effects stack up in value considerably.

*If you Inspire twice with two or minions then you should win the game.

Rapstah

Here's the WoW TCG card the new Warlock card's art is from:

banish_soul_foil.jpg

I'm not sure in what situations "gain +1 Health and you have to Hero Power every round you want this minion to attack for the rest of the game" is better than a 2/3.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like this should be at least 3/4. Guess we have to wait for all the card to know for sure.

Nah. Handlocks would run away with it if it was.

(Nerf Life Tap)

gutshot

That card should be 1 mana. A 1 mana 2/4 is slightly better than Zombie Chow with the drawback being that you have to lose tempo on turn 2 to be able to utilize it.

G.ZZZ

The biggest problem of this card is that it cost 2. You really don't want to hero power on T3 unless we get some really good 1 drop.

If it were 1 mana it would've been a really good mage/warlock anti-agro card. T1 this, T2 hero power + attack to clear any board.

Dahbomb

This card is SSSOOO awkward.

It's like a weird in between card of Zombie Chow and Ancient Watcher but isn't as good as either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Inspire mechanic right now basically works like this (for most cards):

*If you don't Inspire with the card then they are pure trash or below average.

*If you Inspire once with them then they become either average or a bit above average.

*If you Inspire twice with them then they become insane or well above average.

*If you Inspire with two or more minions then the Inspire effects stack up in value considerably.

*If you Inspire twice with two or minions then you should win the game.

Actually that's a good point. From the perspective of Inspire firing off on one card, it's usually not amazing, but if you actually had board and hit your hero power, then you can get a ton of stacking effects off of that one hero power usage.

I wonder if their balance team is effectively just flooding the board with average-ish minions and then hitting the hero power to get power play turns, which is why they individually seem underwhelming to avoid mega plays with 3+ minions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1 mana you guys are insane.

INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE.

Dahbomb

Man these times are pretty exciting.

I wonder how many we call right vs call wrong in the future.

It should be noted that around 70%+ cards from GvG didn't see regular play in competitive decks. I expect the value to be higher for this expansion simply because this expansion has more cards competing against it (GvG only competed with Naxx and Classic where as TGT is competing against GvG, BRM, Naxx and Classic).

Opiate

As noted many times, all of these cards are dependent on synergy. I don't feel we've seen that synergy yet, but I'm not going to be worried until we see all the cards and can really see that yes, the synergy isn't there.

A 3/2 or 3/3 minion for 3 mana that triggers your hero power (or something similar, like "your next use of hero power costs 0") would not only be a great card on its own, but would make all these cards were seeing a significant notch better as a consequence. Every single inspire card would need to have its worth reevaluated if we see a card like that.

In other words, inspire needs its mad scientist. If it doesn't get a mad scientist like card, then yes, inspire cards will not be used much, just as secrets weren't pre-mad scientist. If something like the above is shown, I think we'll see some legitimately competitive decks using inspire.

Rapstah

It'd be fun if everyone was wrong! For everyone to be wrong about most cards right now they'd have to be deliberately hiding the good or enabling cards though, which is cheating and doesn't mean everyone is wrong.

I doubt it but... can you activate the Inspire effect the same turn you play it? Essentially use your hero power to give it charge.

gutshot

I doubt it but... can you activate the Inspire effect the same turn you play it? Essentially use your hero power to give it charge.

I don't think so. That's probably why they added the "can attack as normal this turn", so it wouldn't read as potentially gaining charge. Attack "as normal" implies, to me, that it will still be subject to summoning sickness.

zoukka

It should be noted that around 70%+ cards from GvG didn't see regular play in competitive decks. I expect the value to be higher for this expansion simply because this expansion has more cards competing against it (GvG only competed with Naxx and Classic where as TGT is competing against GvG, BRM, Naxx and Classic).

As more expansions come they will have less and less insane stupid cards like Scientist and Shredder which is a good thing. We are not going to have better versions of already insane cards soon or maybe ever. We will most likely get decent cards in slots that had none before and of course new synergies like inspire.

Zombie chow is already great. We don't need a better version of it. Same goes for Ancient Watcher.

It'd be fun if everyone was wrong! For everyone to be wrong about most cards right now they'd have to be deliberately hiding the good or enabling cards though, which is cheating and doesn't mean everyone is wrong.

Trueheart seemed to divide people a lot. Other said it will be trash and others (like me) are hyped as fuck for it.

JesseZao

I like the card. Not having to owl it leaves another slot open.

I still there should be a watcher card that can't attack unless enraged. That's how those creatures behaved in wow iirc.

Yep, that sounds about right. The problem with playing it early is that you tell your opponent what your doing next turn (or giving up a ton of tempo). "Here's my 2-drop, and I'll be using hero power turn 3." If you play it later in the game then it probably just trades 0 for 1 since it's a 2/4. Unless there's a game changing Inspire card out there it's probably never seeing play in constructed and only "ugh, best of a bad bunch" play in Arena.

JesseZao

Can't gen the card since I'm on mobile, but how bout this for extra hero power activation.

5 mana epic neutral 5/3

Battlecry: Reset hero power. Your next hero power costs (0) mana.

Opiate

Can't gen the card since I'm on mobile, but how bout this for extra hero power activation.

5 mana epic neutral 5/3

Battlecry: Reset hero power. Your next hero power costs (0) mana.

The biggest issue with a 5 mana card is that it can't be played in conjunction with much else, just as Mad Scientist actually would be much worse if it were a 5/5 for 5, instead of a 2/2 for 2, with the same effect.

The card you're describing would not speed up the inspire decks, which is what they really need; to be sped up.

JesseZao

The biggest issue with a 5 mana card is that it can't be played in conjunction with much else. Just as Mad Scientist actually would be much worse if it were a 5/5 for 5, instead of a 2/2 for 2, with the same effect.

Yeah mana cost is what I didn't know what would be best. Maybe a 3 mana 2/3.

Too low and then you will more likely hit cancer level combos. Although, having a feasible shadowform priest would be cool.

georly

Here's the WoW TCG card the new Warlock card's art is from:

banish_soul_foil.jpg

I'm not sure in what situations "gain +1 Health and you have to Hero Power every round you want this minion to attack for the rest of the game" is better than a 2/3.

Would be cool if the hearthstone version was like assassinate but could also buff a demon. Maybe 'destory non-demon minion. if cast on demon, restore to full health' or something. 5 mana.

embalm

Argent Watchman is probably the worst card yet. Stats need to be way better to make up for that downside.
What if it can attack on the turn it is played? So a 2/4 on turn 2 or a 2/4 with charge on turn 4.

It probably can't because of the way it's worded, but that would add some serious value to the card.

The felheart card is a player made translation. The demonheart card is the actual card.

As for the new card, I think the health jump from 3 to 4 is a big deal. Not saying this will be great or whatever and I haven't put that much thought into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom