• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Chillmaw in a dragon theme deck is the closest thing to contesting a Dr Balanced...

And even then a Chillmaw dies to the two Boom bots because balance.

I feel the 3 damage to your minions has the potential to backfire pretty easily, and make the card hard to play.

I feel the 3 damage to your minions has the potential to backfire pretty easily, and make the card hard to play.

It suits a control deck. Not a control deck like Control Warrior, but a more MtG-esque control deck favoring spells and card advantage while ending the game with one or two big threats.

Unfortunately, those big threats don't exist yet in HS. :l Sneed's and Rag being the closest things at the moment, with Rhonin, Varian, and Anub'Arak (if he wasn't a Rogue card) being the best of the new.

Pooya

On the stream Brode suggested that yeah Chillmaw clears patrons, I like the card but I don't think patron warrior cares at all about this.

You can execute this and play, if that's too slow or mana inefficient, there is always commanding shout to add to the deck. It draws a card too in other cases, that synergy.

I like Chillmaw and the bluff aspect of it, I will try a Dragon Hunter (why no dragon love here?) with Feign death for fun,

inky

I faced a guy (Priest) playing 2 Deathlords in Brawl. He was pretty pleased with himself when he put them out. First Unstable Portal: Black Knight, Second Unstable Portal: Kodo. My 2 creatures in the deck: Flamewakers.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Dahbomb

Ben Brode confirmed that if you Faceless Bolf Ramshield, only one of them takes damage if the opponent goes face.

More Priest shenanigans with circle of healing!

It suits a control deck. Not a control deck like Control Warrior, but a more MtG-esque control deck favoring spells and card advantage while ending the game with one or two big threats.

CW is actually the most similar to "standard" MTG control decks out of all the control decks in HS. There's nothing really like the classic UW Control archetype because Wrath of God + Counterspell doesn't exist.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So Tempostorm just released another meta snapshot

wGGiY17.png

annie-gagging.gif

No country for control men

IceMarker

Ben Brode confirmed that if you Faceless Bolf Ramshield, only one of them takes damage if the opponent goes face.

More Priest shenanigans with circle of healing!

The Bolf Ramshield/Divine Spirit/Faceless/Inner Fire deck is real, now it just needs to be viable.

Opiate

2x Power Word: Shield
2x Inner Fire
2x NorthShire cleric
2x Divine Spirit
2x Lightwell
2x Velen's Chosen
2x Deathlord
2x Tournament Medic
2x holy champion
2x wild pyromancer
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Holy Nova
1x Bolf
1x Eydis
1x Fjola
1x Ysera
1x Shadow Word: Death
1x Sylvanas

First try at a Priest deck. Something vaguely like this will be viable, I think.

IceMarker

So I'm a little unclear about Bolf on this, if you heal him or your face does the other get healed as well? Sorry if that's been answered before.

CW is actually the most similar to "standard" MTG control decks out of all the control decks in HS. There's nothing really like the classic UW Control archetype because Wrath of God + Counterspell doesn't exist.

I'd argue that Freeze Mage or Freeze Priest are the closest to any control decks, but CW is probably the runner-up out of all the Tier 1/2 decks. It feels more like a midrange MtG deck to me.

So I'm a little unclear about Bolf on this, if you heal him or your face does the other get healed as well? Sorry if that's been answered before.

No. If you heal him, it won't affect your life total at all and vice versa. He only takes damage that would be dealt to you.

I'd argue that Freeze Mage or Freeze Priest are the closest to any control decks, but CW is probably the runner-up out of all the Tier 1/2 decks. It feels more like a midrange MtG deck to me.

I think those decks are good examples too. But CW is definitely not a midrange MTG deck because what defines a midrange MTG deck is "undercosted fat stuff" to create board presence, which is not CW's game plan. CWs game plan is to use spells and weapons to control the board, plus utility/survival minions, until it can play late-game threats which go over the top.

Like, a classic MTG mid-range card from the old days is something like Spiritmonger who is just a big fat undercosted dude who dominates the board. The equivalent in Hearthstone is a card like Fireguard Destroyer or Piloted Shredder.

What allows CW to operate like a traditional MTG control deck is Execute and Shield Slam, which are the closest analogues in HS to the extremely efficient removal that exists in MTG, where a 2 mana Doom Blade or a 1 mana Path to Exile can deal with (almost) any creature of any size. Kibler talks about this in his latest review.

Opiate

Tried the game.

Got to the Arena and lost all three in a row.

Is that normal or do I just really really suck?

Totally normal. It's dependent on a lot of stuff. I would try casual/ranked first. What's your battle.net ID? I'll add you as a friend and I can watch your games and give you some beginner tips.

Opiate

Should I be buying the Goblins vs Gnomes packs? I've spent almost all of my gold on classic packs but have a bit left over if though just in case I should buy a few.

There are some very important GvG cards for many top decks, but the good news is that almost all those cards are common (e.g. Tinkerer's Sharp Sword Oil, Glaivezooka, Piloted Shredder) or rare (e.g. Muster for Battle). There is exactly one Legendary which really matters, and that's Dr. Boom -- after that the legendaries in GvG are almost universally mediocre. That means you can probably get 50ish GvG packs (doesn't have to be right now, I just mean 50 gvg packs ever), get most of the important stuff, then craft Dr. Boom and not worry about the rest of GvG cards unless you already have a full set of basic and both adventures and so forth.

There are some very important GvG cards for many top decks, but the good news is that almost all those cards are common (e.g. Tinkerer's Sharp Sword Oil, Glaivezooka, Piloted Shredder) or rare (e.g. Muster for Battle). There is exactly one Legendary which really matters, and that's Dr. Boom -- after that the legendaries in GvG are almost universally mediocre. That means you can probably get 50ish GvG packs (doesn't have to be right now, I just mean 50 gvg packs ever), get most of the important stuff, then craft Dr. Boom and not worry about the rest of GvG cards unless you already have a full set of basic and both adventures and so forth.

Alright cool, thanks

I think I'm about to actually spend money on this game, which I never intended to do, but I'm just enjoying it way too damn much and I think buying the adventures will be worth it.

Another question - are gold cards purely aesthetic? Nothing different about them or anything? If it's just for looks then I suppose I can start breaking them down and finally begin crafting cards.

Another question - are gold cards purely aesthetic? Nothing different about them or anything? If it's just for looks then I suppose I can start breaking them down and finally begin crafting cards.

Purely aesthetic, though don't disenchant any gold cards that you would normally want to play and don't have max copies of.

Alright cool, thanks

I think I'm about to actually spend money on this game, which I never intended to do, but I'm just enjoying it way too damn much and I think buying the adventures will be worth it.

Yeep gold cards are basically for looks.

I haven't spent anything on League so I ain't spending shit on this either!

Opiate

Alright cool, thanks

The adventures are the best value for money if you are going to spend any money on the game, period. They are also very fun on their own.

Gold cards are purely aesthetic. They're the sort of thing you worry about when your collection starts to fill up and you think "well... what else can I collect?" I still wouldn't recommend uncrafting good golds, though, because the dust ratio is so brutal (you get 1/4 value when you dust). At the very least, don't dust gold cards you don't have a regular version of -- you can't even make an ungold version of the card with the dust you get from a golden one. In other words, I normally keep the gold cards I Get, but I don't craft any. I might if my collection completely finishes and I want something else to go for.

What's your battle.net account? I'm sure some of us would love to help you out.

I dusted Nat Pagle because I wanted a competitive ladder deck. I just got that stupid dragon that gives you 15 second to decide. I think I should dust his ass eventually, but him alone at 400 isn't enough to make another competitive deck.

Opiate

I dusted Nat Pagle because I wanted a competitive ladder deck. I just got that stupid dragon that gives you 15 second to decide. I think I should dust his ass eventually, but him alone at 400 isn't enough to make another competitive deck.

Yes, there are some legendaries worth dusting, and Nozdormu is one of those.

ViviOggi

People whine about Patron day in day out but Nozdormu + 2x Youthful Brewmaster is a game-winning 3-card combo. Highly competitive.

Purely aesthetic, though don't disenchant any gold cards that you would normally want to play and don't have max copies of.

Yeep gold cards are basically for looks.

I haven't spent anything on League so I ain't spending shit on this either!
Guess I'll begin breaking these soon.
The adventures are the best value for money if you are going to spend any money on the game, period. They are also very fun on their own.

Gold cards are purely aesthetic. They're the sort of thing you worry about when your collection starts to fill up and you think "well... what else can I collect?" I still wouldn't recommend uncrafting good golds, though, because the dust ratio is so brutal (you get 1/4 value when you dust). At the very least, don't dust gold cards you don't have a regular version of -- you can't even make an ungold version of the card with the dust you get from a golden one. In other words, I normally keep the gold cards I Get, but I don't craft any. I might if my collection completely finishes and I want something else to go for.

What's your battle.net account? I'm sure some of us would love to help you out.

My account is Bukkakecakes#1477 (gross, I know, haha) and I'm usually playing on my phone. I play on my tablet or computer if I'm at home. A few other folk have already given me some very helpful advice in this thread too.

I've been playing ok with pretty basic decks, especially against other people with simple decks. I'm quickly learning what to not do in battle and I now I actually get a small chuckle when I recognize that someone I'm playing against has made an error (shooting a fireball spell at my hero instead of destroying one of my minions when they have none on their side).

But now I'm finally spending my gold (I have/had 1500) on some packs and I'm looking to build better decks. I really like playing as the Mage the most but I enjoy building decks for all the classes since I always have to play other classes for the bounties.

Since I see people ask every few days or so, just gonna throw this out there.

If you need a friend to add on NA my tag is BananasWGuns#1521. Feel free to add me if you like.

I think those decks are good examples too. But CW is definitely not a midrange MTG deck because what defines a midrange MTG deck is "undercosted fat stuff" to create board presence, which is not CW's game plan. CWs game plan is to use spells and weapons to control the board, plus utility/survival minions, until it can play late-game threats which go over the top.

I can concede to that argument. The amount of threats in the decks are what make it feel like more of the current MtG midrange decks, but I guess I'm overlooking the general purpose of the deck. I'm used to playing R/U/W control or just U/W control decks that run maybe 2-3 utility creatures with the rest being spells.

Pooya

So did they actually say that your highest rank is recorded already or do we have to wait for after the patch? I climbed on both US and EU until 8, I'm just going to leave it there until last few days, seems way easier to climb then every month. Just not enjoying it very much right now.

edit: Opened Malorne, yay....

Now to be fair, I've been opening one leg almost a week lately, that's really good.

Over the last 6 weeks or so, I've opened Gallywix, Gruul, Malorne, Nat Pagle and Grommash, last two were repeats but whatever.

So did they actually say that your highest rank is recorded already or do we have to wait for after the patch? I climbed on both US and EU until 8, I'm just going to leave it there until last few days, seems way easier to climb then every month. Just not enjoying it very much right now.

Not being tracked yet. Need the patch first.

JesseZao

Not tracked until patch.

Yes, there are some legendaries worth dusting, and Nozdormu is one of those.

Yea the card is unplayable when I'm on tablet or mobile. It's like 2 seconds because I guess those are behind due to animation and what not.

People whine about Patron day in day out but Nozdormu + 2x Youthful Brewmaster is a game-winning 3-card combo. Highly competitive.

You just mind fucked me.

I want to make a push for legendary but don't want to go on tilt lol....

2x Power Word: Shield
2x Inner Fire
2x NorthShire cleric
2x Divine Spirit
2x Lightwell
2x Velen's Chosen
2x Deathlord
2x Tournament Medic
2x holy champion
2x wild pyromancer
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Holy Nova
1x Bolf
1x Eydis
1x Fjola
1x Ysera
1x Shadow Word: Death
1x Sylvanas

First try at a Priest deck. Something vaguely like this will be viable, I think.

Still needs a lot more card draw I think. If you lose the clerics early you are going to be twiddling your thumbs until the very late game.

This is what I'll be trying:

2x execute
2x shield slam
2x armoursmith
2x shield block
1x bash
2x acolyte of pain
2x death's bite
1x Grom
1x Justicar
2x Garrison Commander
1x Sylvanas
2x sludge belcher
2x frost giant
2x brawl
1x war axe
2x taskmaster
2x shield maiden
1x Dr Boom

I'd expect to get at least 50+ armour every match. Win condition is to run your opponent out of everything and drop free frost giants.

BashNasty

Alright cool, thanks

This isn't an exploitative free to play game at all. In fact, even though it technically is one, I feel the label free to play does Hearthstone a disservice since that label carries such a negative connotation. Hearthstone is a great game and there is zero shame spending money on a great game. Honestly it's the people who seem hell bent to not spend money on this game that come off as strange to me.

Haunted

Oh weird. Are you using Google Docs or something else like Excel? I can't replicate the issue on Google Docs. You might have to do like a right click and try one of the Paste Special options so and see if you can get it to not copy over the original file name.
I'm using excel, I'll try the paste options or work in google docs and import the final result or something. :) Thanks anyway, I'll get it to work somehow.

edit: got it to work by using google docs and then importing the file to excel

Hupsel

Lost 30 health in one turn just to a warrior with the card that gives charge and two guys that gain plus one attack for every injured minion.

So warriors just use defensive cards and not attack until they can get this fucking stupid combo? Nice. He didnt even need to patron.

That's 6 card draw cards, 4 of which have the potential to draw more than 1 card.

Not sure I agree!
Just wondering, how are you planning to use Darkbane/Lightbane? On turn 3 alone they're only 3/4s, which have a relatively good chance to make it to the next turn, but I'm not sure how well they fit.

Of course with Lightbane on turn 4 you can have a 3/6 Divine Shield that if ignored can hit for 24 on turn 5(Which will also have Divine Shield too).

In my mind, Darkbane has better combo ppotential. Any spell you use to combo gives you an extra 3 damage. She's the one legendary I hope I get first for silly ridiculous decks.

My only other thing is think about either Silence or Mass Dispel. You're counting on huge burst with a single minion that'll easily get shut down by taunts. I guess it just depends on how fast games go with that deck.

ricelord

Lost 30 health in one turn just to a warrior with the card that gives charge and two guys that gain plus one attack for every injured minion.

So warriors just use defensive cards and not attack until they can get this fucking stupid combo? Nice. He didnt even need to patron.
Yup crazy right lmao.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I just tried an Arena match, at 0-0, Warlock (me) vs Warrior.

I lose, they play Death's Bite and then Patron for the second swing, getting a clear board with 2 Patrons. No problem, I Hellfire them away.

A few turns later, they play another Death's Bite. Next turn another Patron, getting two once again, this time I can't remove them both, and just get rid of the 3/3.

Their next two following turns involved playing a Warsong, then the following turn a Dr Boom.

They also had two of the 3/3 equip a 2/2 weapons. What a crazy deck for arena, felt like ladder.

A lot of win conditions for Patron warrior. Either berserker smacking you in one turn, Patron smacking you or even in match ups like freeze mage win by fatigue with armor stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom