• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the luckiest win ever last night and the dude added me after to say "holy rng" lol

I was playing mage and he was shaman. I unstable portaled Ysera on turn 2 so it costs 6. It looks like he has me beat on turn 8 when all I had on the board was Ysera for the past two turns and some other minion while he would most likely kill me on his next turn. I have like 14 health and he has a little over 20. On turn 8 I use that dream card that gives a minion +5/+5 on Ysera and the other that damages all characters but Ysera plus a fireball to his face for exact lethal. Felt so good and sooo damn lucky.

Thanks unstable portal

Pfft that's nothing. Last night I was on a win streak and needed to win to get to rank 6. I was against a Priest, which is usually a terrible match up, I got him to 5 and had no cards. He had a full board and played Darklord attacked with his whole board and healed himself for 2. He has lethal on the board next turn, so the only out I have is Quick Shot into Kill Command. That's 2 cards in the correct order out of about 20. I don't feel like calculating the odds, but they were extremely low.

I would have paid money to see his face when that exact draw happened.

Good thing that my rank is saved now. I lost my next game, so I'm at rank 6 with 0 stars.

embalm

I wonder what the chances are that after the patch is live for all platforms and regions that they flip the switch and release the expansion. That could mean a release tomorrow.

Who am I kidding though, it's probably releasing on the 31st.

Reddit says the new board is live.

Dahbomb

Queued up into Casual mode and my game is bugging out with my clock set forward.

I am listed as "Unknown" in my name.

Let's try some Spinners to see some new stuff come out.

Finalow

so you get some rewards from being at least rank 5 or legend, and the usual card back for rank 20. any more rewards? Like for rank 10 or 15.

my deck is pretty awful but I managed to get to rank 17 somehow, still, "I'm sure I'll find other players with shit decks considering my rank" I thought. nope, even found someone with all golden cards and a deck that was pretty much a tempo mage that I saw in some legend ranked games. "here comes my dr. balanced in turn 7" "y u sheep him? Here comes rag- y u sheep him too? Np, I got antonidas and 7 fireballs left."

"okay"

I guess I'm one of the few people doing ranked with a poor basic deck and a couple of decent cards here and there. I know you can do well even with a basic deck but you can't really do much when the opponent isn't awful and his deck is full of cards much better than yours.

got 900 gold and have no cards, what to do.
btw, I still need advice on this. :mad:

so you get some rewards from being at least rank 5 or legend, and the usual card back for rank 20. any more rewards? Like for rank 10 or 15.

my deck is pretty awful but I managed to get to rank 17 somehow, still, "I'm sure I'll find other players with shit decks considering my rank" I thought. nope, even found someone with all golden cards and a deck that was pretty much a tempo mage that I saw in some legend ranked games. "here comes my dr. balanced in turn 7" "y u sheep him? Here comes rag- y u sheep him too? Np, I got antonidas and 7 fireballs left."

"okay"

I guess I'm one of the few people doing ranked with a poor basic deck and a couple of decent cards here and there. I know you can do well even with a basic deck but you can't really do much when the opponent isn't awful and his deck is full of cards much better than yours.

You get ranked rewards that are increasingly better from 20, 15, 10, 5. At legend you get a cardback, that's it.
Buy Naxx wings.

Making it to rank 17 on a budget deck is pretty good. Rank 18 is pretty brutal imo.

Opiate

Finalow: are you willing to spend any money on the game at all? Some general advice:

1) The best bang for your buck (as in real dollars) are the adventures. If you're ever going to spend any money at all, it should be on this.

2) The original or "classic" set has the highest number of high value cards and should be your "baseline" for buying packs for the forseeable future.

If you're unsure if you'll ever spend any money on this game, then just buy 9 "classic" packs and keep playing.

I'm pretty sure they confirmed the rewards get better up to rank 1, the only thing is that you don't get more than 5 separate things. Think of it like arena. Even though you might get the same number of reward things to open for 2 different win runs, the rewards are going to be better for the better run. At least that is how it seemed their twitter explanation was when they clarified that rewards are better at rank 1 than rank 5.

Biochet

9 packs isnt really worth it and what opiate said about adventures is very true, if your willing to spend any real money it should be on them

my other advice would be to use that gold on arena if you think you can average 7 wins constantly

Dahbomb

The Magma Rager rage is real?
People don't understand the reasoning behind all of this.

It sets a bad precedent for Blizzard where instead of buffing old unused cards (particularly basic cards) they release strictly better versions of older cards. It alienates new players completely when the basic cards are constantly being one upped by better and better versions of the same cards that you have to actually buy.

Like their reasoning is that these cards don't get used anyway so we should release strictly better versions of these cards.

Well ok... why not just release a 5/5 Icewind Yeti next expansion? No one uses the regular Yeti in Constructed, it's way out classed by Mech Yeti and Shredder in that mode. And Blizzard clearly does not give a single fuck about Arena.

This sounds dumb as shit right? Because it is. The Evil Heckler example is just really gross, you aren't just adding one stat to the card you are reducing a whole mana cost from it.

Lord of the Arena sees no play in Constructed... next expansion they should release a King of the Arena that's a 5 mana 6/5. Stoneskin Gargoyle sees no play, make it a 2 mana minion instead. Eventually they will do this to a card which was unused before because it was just slightly over costed at its mana cost and becomes too good at one whole mana cost lower and then it will blow up in their faces.

CoolOff

9 packs isnt really worth it and what opiate said about adventures is very true, if your willing to spend any real money it should be on them

my other advice would be to use that gold on arena if you think you can average 7 wins constantly

4 wins*

That's when you profit from it.

Cipherr

Im trying to think about how much constructed I can stomach each month. The little rewards make it possibly worth it. Maybe rank 15? Not sure I can be expected to take enough of that shit to go to rank 10 every month. But I might be able to push to rank 15 on just doing my dailies each month.

Im trying to think about how much constructed I can stomach each month. The little rewards make it possibly worth it. Maybe rank 15? Not sure I can be expected to take enough of that shit to go to rank 10 every month. But I might be able to push to rank 15 on just doing my dailies each month.
If you don't like constructed that much, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are people are over estimating the rewards. It's a gold card and some dust. If I remember correctly at rank 10 it's two cards and at rank 5 it's three. Probably not worth the stress.

It alienates new players completely when the basic cards are constantly being one upped by better and better versions of the same cards that you have to actually buy.

This is silly. If anyone ever plays magma rager, they can't complain because no one should ever run magma rager. Pretend it doesn't exist in constructed, because it might as well not. Sometimes a mage will get magma rager and wish it was the other. That is about as much that people should care about magma rager even being in the game, new or old.

The ice rager will be judged on its own merit, and I suspect it will not be played anyway. But if it is played, who gives a shit about some new player who runs magma rager but are some how "one upped" by a better version existing, which can be acquired for a measly 40 dust anyway.

Rank 15 is doable very casually with a decent deck. Beyond that you're playing quite a bit of Hearthstone. Not sure how much the higher rewards are worth in comparison. Maybe getting to rank 10, but rank 5 or higher is quite a bit of work.

Biochet

I wonder what the reward for rank 15 is, I just hit it

ZSFCJ7M3LIRI1438637886423.jpg

give or take

Gotchaye

If it's actually a gold epic at rank 5 then that's a solid amount of dust.

Although if someone doesn't like playing constructed they also don't have much use for dust.

I'd been treading water at 20 for the card backs. I find I hit 15 pretty often in months where I have more than a handful of Warrior dailies. I imagine that maintaining at 10 is only going to require a couple afternoons per month. I'm going to get to 5 this month to see what happens, and probably the month after since there will be new cards to play with, but I'm not sure that's going to be worth doing long-term.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm watching life coach's card review from today and in it he references that he reviewed cards yesterday as well but I don't see a vod from yesterday under his broadcasts. Does anyone have a link to that? Why is there not a twitch vod?

Dahbomb

This is silly. If anyone ever plays magma rager, they can't complain because no one should ever run magma rager. Pretend it doesn't exist in constructed, because it might as well not. Sometimes a mage will get magma rager and wish it was the other. That is about as much that people should care about magma rager even being in the game, new or old.

The ice rager will be judged on its own merit, and I suspect it will not be played anyway. But if it is played, who gives a shit about some new player who runs magma rager but are some how "one upped" by a better version existing, which can be acquired for a measly 40 dust anyway.
This is a bad way of thinking about it and you are again missing the point.

It's not even about if Ice Rager or Evil Heckler are good enough to be played in Constructed as is... it's that it sets a terrible precedence.

Soon we will be seeing 5 mana King of the Arena, 2 mana Stoneskin Gargoyle, 2 mana Dalaran Mage etc. Eventually some card will get "buffed" that MIGHT ACTUALLY see constructed play and it would be a bad look for Blizzard.

It also shits on their previous statements about "well some cards are bad now but could be good later so we don't change cards". Well by introducing the Evil Heckler you are pretty much admitting that Booty Bay is in fact a horrendous card (at least they think Magma Rager is a joke and a cornerstone of the HS community so we can give one card a pass).

Why didn't Blizzard make Booty Bay into a 4 mana 5/4 instead? Because they don't want to look like fools when they made a video talking about how they don't want to buff old cards because it confuses returning old players and it takes too long too test cards.

Well many streamers are calling out Blizzard on their bull shit now. And rightfully so.

Biochet

A pack costs 100g, an arena run costs 150g. You therefore need 50+g to do better than just buying packs. Over 19 4-win runs I've gotten an average of 72 gold.

172 > 150.

i've never gotten more than 40 on runs with less than 5 wins or atleast the ones i do remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom