• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster

I had a good tavern brawl yesterday, I did pretty well as the hunter and was a turn away from winning but the mage dropped a card to giving them lethal so I threw out a "well played" and waited for the inevitable, they returned the compliment but as they were the nicest player ever it was followed by a concede.

I once used Skeleton Knight four times in the same game.

I lost that game.

I think I played it 5 times. The mage still used double boar on a frost giant to win :|

Brawls are always like this, things even up once people get their pack and stop taking it deadly serious. It is like saying last weeks is balanced because you beat somebody playing warrior.

JSR_Cube

I got the tavern brawl daily quest this morning. At least I enjoy the current brawl but this could be a bit of a pain in the ass some weeks.

ovuBMKY.png

I'm trying so hard to ladder with this deck but I can't go further than lvl 15. :/
Do you have any suggestion on how to make it a bit better?

It sounds like you aren't mulliganing properly. Arcane Shot, Bear Trap, Freezing Trap, Snipe, King's Elekk, Animal Companion and Lock N' Load (although it's way better earlygame if you have the coin). That's 11 earlygame cards, compared to Mage's 13.

I don't think you understand tempo or rng. Sure if you get a great draw and get great lock n load rng and get great joust rng and get great wrangler rng and get the animal companion rng you need than the hunter deck is competitive.

Please.

Haunted

I take back my previous evaluations of the brawl. The decks are quite balanced, I'm winning with both pretty much 50/50 now.
That means you're skilled with Hunter and garbo at Mage tbh.

I think this is easily a 7-3, maybe even 8-2 for Mage when both players know what they are doing.

Rag vs Nef was closer, imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Patron Warrior for bottom tier.

It sounds like you aren't mulliganing properly. Arcane Shot, Bear Trap, Freezing Trap, Snipe, King's Elekk, Animal Companion and Lock N' Load (although it's way better earlygame if you have the coin). That's 11 earlygame cards, compared to Mage's 13.

But they don't compare favorably to the mage early game, is the problem.

Like, the common start of turn 1 lowly squire or the torunament medic. What do you do? Arcane shot? Then fallen hero/boneguard liuetenant followup get stronger. If you let it sit then it will grow in power, the elek gets killed by these early on. Animal Companion is RNG and as such doesn't always suit the board. Leokk rarely does much here, Huffer trades horribly with the early game and hitting the face is not the aim for this deck especially with the card that heals both players, so Misha is typically the one to want. The traps being static make them much easier to play around, snipe is usually the strongest threat but the 2/1 divine shield is a hard counter to it.

In the mid-late game it still is fairly ugly. Warhorse joust has a HUGE impact on the match, the divine shield taunt is basically polyboar bait and the bigger minnions get eaten by flame lance. Acidmaw is unbelievably bad in this match since the mage hero power becomes an assassinate(that can also buff their board!), even if you get uth board clears. Which is another thing, UTH is pretty easy to play around as everyone knows the hunter has hunter's mark alongside it, so the mage just needs to not super overextend.

It's certainly not hopeless but the hunter always plays from behind and if they get into a board control position it's much better, but that's hard to pull off. Lock N Load can help a lot, but even the really nice early plays with coin + arcane shot can still do something like give you feign death and gladiator's longbow...which is exactly what happened to me before.

Oh, and Rhonin is nice vs. this deck since there's zero silence and a 7/7 can't be ignored, making the triple missiles another threat. Double Frost Giant makes the joust sketchy and gives the mage some powerful late game on top of that.

if they had some mad scientists the deck would be way better to hedge through the early game. For now the best start the hunter can hope for tends to be the mage having no turn 1, and the garrison turn 2 for the elekk to kill since that's not a big deal early on.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Might be a bad time to ask as the meta is gonna change next week but I'll ask anyways.

What are 3 general tips from Hearthstone GAF to take my game from top 10 rank to top 5 rank?*

*Other than having the right legendaries which I don't have yet for all classes.

Ultrabum

Might be a bad time to ask as the meta is gonna change next week but I'll ask anyways.

What are 3 general tips from Hearthstone GAF to take my game from top 10 rank to top 5 rank?*

*Other than having the right legendaries which I don't have yet for all classes.

I'm not so sure the meta is going to change. Particularly I expect to still see patron on top.

Edit: for 3 tips:
Play a net deck that you have all the cards for, cheap ones include aggro paladin and face hunter.

Take a long time each turn, even if it seems like a simple play, think about it.

Watch pro streamers play your deck.

Pooya

ovuBMKY.png

I'm trying so hard to ladder with this deck but I can't go further than lvl 15. :/
Do you have any suggestion on how to make it a bit better?

Cut one equality and hammar of wrath, really they are situational cards for you, you don't need two.

Add a second Muster, really only one? No wonder you could not climb up that ladder, it's the core of the deck.

Add Argent Squire.

Pooya

You don't need legendary cards to hit 5.

First tip, play face paladin.
Second tip, play face paladin.
Third, learn to play face paladin by playing face paladin.

I'm rank 5 on both EU and US, one of which is a f2p account. I don't even play ladder for one hour a day and wasted most of the season playing patron warrior and struggling with it on rank 10.

You could watch Firebat's recent stream where he tries to climb on a f2p account to legend in one week with face paladin, you can learn there how to play it.
Generally it's about winning board control early on and protect your buffed minions. You want to clear the other side early on but after a point you go full smorc. You have to look to when is best to pull a divine favor to refill.

I don't think new cards will affect the viability of face paladin, if anything that one secret could make it even stronger.

Last night I was playing mid range hunter against a priest. I had a good start, coin haunted creeper, T2 leper gnome, abusive sargean. He plays deathlord on T3 thinking he totally stopped me. Deadly Shot into a highmane, insta concede.

I really don't know why more people don't run it. I still don't think it would be very good on face hunter, but in mid range it's great. I pretty much always get great value out of it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cut one equality and hammar of wrath, really they are situational cards for you, you don't need two.

Add a second Muster, really only one? No wonder you could not climb up that ladder, it's the core of the deck.

Add Argent Squire.

I'd also go with a second Blessing of Might, personally.

And you don't really need Dr. Boom. I think Leeroy is better for the top of your curve.

Add Argent Squire.

I'd also go with a second Blessing of Might, personally.

And you don't really need Dr. Boom. I think Leeroy is better for the top of your curve.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try it right know!
Unfortunately I don't have Leeroy, what should I put in?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Boom is fine. You might be struggling with other factors like trading vs face and the mulligans. Your list looks solid enough that you shouldn't be running into too much trouble if you were playing optimally.

Against any kind of aggro you want to mulligan for 1 drop and 2 drops. Actually, you pretty much always want to mulligan for 1 drops and 2 drops. Hold Consecrate vs Aggro, hold Divine Favor against Control. Don't be afraid to play Abusive Sergeant turn 1, etc.

Pooya

I don't run any legendary in my deck but if I wanted to I would run Tirion xD

Leeroy is good too but I always felts arcane golems being 2 mana less has won me several games when I could combo it with blessing of kings for 8 damage. Even if it's not lethal it's hard to remove it when behind a taunt or under divine shied, against warriors it's pretty effective as you don't have time to wait. Leeroy on the other hand, you should just use it for lethal. When opponent doesn't have many cards, that one mana crystal doesn't matter much and they generally empty their hand against you because of divine favor.

Another option is Harrison, it helps against mirror and hunter where you can't use divine favor, effectively, you buff hunter's weapon by triggering a secret then Harrison it.

For f2p people, Loatheb isn't bad but everything you have on board is generally expendable, you must not commit too much in any case so that when aoe happens you can immediately refill. It's not all that useful.

I don't think any of these legendary cards are needed. Coghammer is better than all of them if you want to add a more expensive card. If you don't have that, Argus is an ok replacement still.

Xanathus

I wish there was a co-op or friendly element to this game like how in Heroes of the Storm you can play versus AI and still get tangible rewards from doing it. Hearthstone isn't a great game to introduce to friends because the only thing you can really do together with them is to kick their ass.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fuck me, I really wanna do the TGT preorder deal... It's going to be hard to justify dropping $50 on digital cards, though.

Well, the cards from TGT are really the weakest set in the whole game, so that makes it a bit easier to skip for me. There's a handful of good cards, yes, but none are any where close to as broken/useful in all decks as Mad Scientist, Dr Boom, Emperor, Shredder, Loatheb, etc.

zoukka

That means you're skilled with Hunter and garbo at Mage tbh.

I think this is easily a 7-3, maybe even 8-2 for Mage when both players know what they are doing.

Rag vs Nef was closer, imo.

Haha no. Both decks have early game, midgame and good finishers. Git gud.

Raxus

Fuck me, I really wanna do the TGT preorder deal... It's going to be hard to justify dropping $50 on digital cards, though.

The way I look at it I spend 100's of hours on this game so the price is a steal for a videogame. If you want to stick to free to play that is fine you can still get tons of cards using that method (mainly through arena)

ZealousD

Well, the cards from TGT are really the weakest set in the whole game, so that makes it a bit easier to skip for me. There's a handful of good cards, yes, but none are any where close to as broken/useful in all decks as Mad Scientist, Dr Boom, Emperor, Shredder, Loatheb, etc.

I feel like it is very premature to say something like this.

Opiate

I agree. I'm not saying Minsc is necessarily wrong, but it's so hard to evaluate cards ahead of time and I see lots of potentially good cards in the set. Even cards like Gadgetzan jouster or Confessor Paletress have potential -- whether that potential is fulfilled we will have to wait and see, but if even just 1 out of every 4 ends up fulfilling its potential, we'll have plenty of good cards here.

Minsc

Gold Member

Perhaps, but we shall find out in a couple weeks (or less)! I guess I just don't see anything atm the sells itself as well as the cards among the type I listed above (and the things that are good, I should be able to craft or open with a little luck using the ~3000 gold I've accrued since the last release).

People are really negative on Jousting, and that's a good number of cards... Inspire is decent with potential to spiral out of control, but whether or not inspire can compete against the card pool we have and stay on the board for a turn (or be worth holding off for two turns to summon + hero power) is what we will see.

Pooya

There are quite a few cards I want from TGT, they just happen to be legendary or epics mostly, it makes more sense for me to craft them rather than be under mecry of RNG and open lots of trash for my gold or money. There are 4-5 rares I want too, I add them to crafting cost as well, no big deal. I'm still going to open 10 pack see what I get and dust them if they are trash to craft what I want. I'm saving my gold for next adventure which should be out before March and for Arena. Whatever pack Arena gives me I'm fine with. I do at least one run every day.

With GvG, the good cards were commons and epics and legs were mostly bad. Here there are quite a few fun legendary and epic cards, mainly dragons, and some good rares. Commons look redundant so far.

ZealousD

We can make predictions and argue about them all day (I know I certainly have) but ultimately the real test comes when we actually play with the cards in a real competitive setting. Unique cards are generally very difficult to evaluate, and this set has a lot of those.

inky

According to what I've read (from people who run simulations and stuff) the pre order packs would net you: ~175 common cards, ~60 rares, ~15 epics, ~0-1 legendary and on average 650 dust (<- without counting dust from golden cards.)
Or if you are the unluckiest person in the world: 200 commons, 50 rares :p

There's plenty of cards I want to craft still. I got 15 unopened packs, around 500 dust and 4k gold to spend on more packs, so taking that into account, in Jay Wilson fashion I just used the $40 and doubled my returns (which would be more dust, less new cards after the first batch). I think that should be enough to get at least some of what I'm missing. Plus $40 isn't really that much considering that is what I've dropped every other month on a game like Marvel Heroes, and these days I play HS more.

I wanted to remain a F2P player, and so far it has worked out OK, but considering it isn't out of some moral principle and I had the cash I just said, why not.

Dahbomb

If Hunter could exploit Malygos in some way then Hunter could potentially have the best Malygos deck simply because of King's Elekk.

Too bad they don't really have a good way to utilize Malygos. Best they got is double Arcane Shot + Quickshot if they are reduced by Emperor.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Should Hero Power count as an activator for combo cards in Rogue?

No.
Combo specifically says it triggers when another card has been played.

For non-pendantic reasoning, I think it would make cards like Tinker's Oil WAYYYY too good. I like to believe they built these powerful combo effects around the fact that they can't be played by themselves (Prep notwithstanding-- that card probably needs to be a rogue common or something, it is virtually essential) and balanced accordingly.

No.
Combo specifically says it triggers when another card has been played.

For non-pendantic reasoning, I think it would make cards like Tinker's Oil WAYYYY too good. I like to believe they built these powerful combo effects around the fact that they can't be played by themselves (Prep notwithstanding-- that card probably needs to be a rogue common or something, it is virtually essential) and balanced accordingly.

I've been thinking about this and the coin shouldn't count as a card. Going second is already a slight advantage since you get an extra card, plus the coin to help smooth out your curve in the first few turns and that's fair.

But buffing Mana Wyrm, triggering Flamewaker or comboing with Rogue (T1 defias ringleader anyone?), is straight up bullshit IMO.

The coin should be something outside of the game. Not considered a spell or a card played and also not affected by stuff like Loatheb. Just a way to get 1 mana when you need it, nothing more, nothing less.

BashNasty

50 bucks for 50 packs is a great deal. Digital cards are more valuable than real cards as you can easily play them against an opponent whenever you want.

blackflag

I can't run patron warrior. Every time I do I only play against handlock with a billion taunts. I just switched from tempo Mage a few minutes ago and 3 handlocks in a row. Seems to happen every time

Dre

I don't run any legendary in my deck but if I wanted to I would run Tirion xD

Are you serious? Tirion happens to be the only class legendary I got, but since I don't have the right cards to run a control/midrange Paladin I only play Eboladin.
I somehow find the idea interesting, but unfortunately I do not know what card I can cut to fit him in.

My list:
1x Blessing of Might
2x Abusive Sergeant
1x Argent Squire
2x Leper Gnome
1x Southsea Deckhand
1x Equality
2x Annoy-o-Tron
1x Argent Protector
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Knife Juggler
2x Shielded Minibot
1x Coghammer
2x Divine Favor
2x Muster for Battle
2x Arcane Golem
2x Truesilver Champion
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Consecration

Don't want to swap with Equality since I like the synergy with Knife Juggler and find it handy when I didn't draw any of my Owls and I actually like having a second Annoy-o-Tron.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I can't run patron warrior. Every time I do I only play against handlock with a billion taunts. I just switched from tempo Mage a few minutes ago and 3 handlocks in a row. Seems to happen every time

i'm convinced the mmr takes your class into account and will most likely put you against your worst matchup, it's the only way i can explain hunters facing me straight away when i switched to oil rogue
dac15_nosewipe.gif

Dahbomb

Anyone got that Druid deck that people are using these days with the Senjins and Ancient of Wars?

Also Archon Team league is about to start:

http://www.twitch.tv/amazhs

Join the GAF Hearthstone chat. Post your twitch name here for the invite. Hopefully it holds up today.

Line_HTX

Hello again.

Is it possible... to have a really bad day as Face Hunter? I swear today nothing's gone right for me as Face Hunter. I had better luck and more timely bursts as MalyRogue than this shit.

This one Priest before I pressed Escape > Quit was always ahead with his basic shit, and I was continuously falling behind being forced to trade while my draws were decent at best.

Anyone who plays Murloc decks, especially Shaman Murlocs, should never get any respect. They are completely illegitimate shit, will never be legitimate and are nothing but the worst kind of circus clowns. A complete joke of a so-called "deck."

My apologies... I just want to know if y'all ever had a bad day as SMOrc...

eloiseSalt

Dahbomb

Hello again.

Is it possible... to have a really bad day as Face Hunter? I swear today nothing's gone right for me as Face Hunter. I had better luck and more timely bursts as MalyRogue than this shit.

This one Priest before I pressed Escape > Quit was always ahead with his basic shit, and I was continuously falling behind being forced to trade while my draws were decent at best.

Anyone who plays Murloc decks, especially Shaman Murlocs, should never get any respect. They are completely illegitimate shit, will never be legitimate and are nothing but the worst kind of circus clowns. A complete joke of a so-called "deck."

My apologies... I just want to know if y'all ever had a bad day as SMOrc...

eloiseSalt
Murloc needs nerf.
sm-orc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom