• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I wouldn't, might become playable in Demonlock at some point. I believe he's been run in some lists recently even. He's not The Beast tier and you'll likely never pull him golden again.

Also what would you want to craft from TGT anyway

True, I guess it couldn't hurt to hold on to him in that respect.

As far as stuff I want to craft, Varian, Aviana, Bolf and Chillmaw are just a few of the legendaries. Then epics like Twilight Guardian, Lock and Load, Mulch, stuff like that. Although I guess it would be best to wait and see how those cards fit into decks before going all in.

Opiate

Archon team league is hilarious, it's basically who can get a win with shaman rofl.

I know we're laughing, but at least Shaman is being played with regularity. That's better than Priest -- rather be the bottom run on the "playable" totem pole then fall off the totem pole entirely.

Amongst the bottom 3 (Paladin, Priest, Shaman) I believe Shaman is the most played, followed by Paladin, followed by Priest.

Opiate

True, I guess it couldn't hurt to hold on to him in that respect.

As far as stuff I want to craft, Varian, Aviana, Bolf and Chillmaw are just a few of the legendaries. Then epics like Twilight Guardian, Lock and Load, Mulch, stuff like that. Although I guess it would be best to wait and see how those cards fit into decks before going all in.

The card I want most is Justicar Trueheart. I want to stick her in a Warrior or Priest deck and draw games out as long as possible.

Cat Party

I know we're laughing, but at least Shaman is being played with regularity. That's better than Priest -- rather be the bottom run on the "playable" totem pole then fall off the totem pole entirely.

Amongst the bottom 3 (Paladin, Priest, Shaman) I believe Shaman is the most played, followed by Paladin, followed by Priest.
Ironically, Kibler was successful with Shaman and Priest on his way to the best record of the tournament.

Ultrabum

It really is pretty sad.

Santiako

Poor Shaman, their best deck right now is a worse version of Mech Mage. Hopefully the Totem midrange dream comes to fruition and they rise.

IceMarker

It comes down to this: the battle of the dinky, multiple-loser Shaman decks. Whose shaman deck is less bad?

Seriously, I'd literally rather watch Face Hunter than Mech Shaman. It's embarrassing to watch Mech Shaman flounder around trying to breathe and hope they get that one time where they pull off a bullshit windfury combo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Plus Fel Reaver also has to be played properly, many people still don't know how to properly play Fel Reaver or when to play it.

When I play Fel Reaver, every deck becomes smorc. You have to close out the game before you get decked. Maximize face damage over everything. You play Fel Reaver properly by unlearning all you've learned about board control. Play smartly by playing badly!

Dahbomb

is being effective 66% of the time the threshold for good arena pick?
There's more to a card evaluation than just "effective 66%" of the time.

Fel Reaver value isn't that the card is effective 66% it's that it's GAME WINNING 66% of the time that you actually do play it properly. In that if you played most any other card in that situation instead of Fel Reaver, then you probably wouldn't have won that game or your chances to win would've gone lower.

There's no card that is effective 100% of the time. Piloted Shredder is a top tier 4 drop card but in a top deck war and you are facing lethal... Piloted shredder is much worse than getting a heal, taunt or a board clear. Piloted Shredder is good because it gives you value/card advantage when played on curve at 4 mana. That is the same thing as Fel Reaver, when you are slightly ahead on the board and you play this on curve then you are really ahead in the game and for most classes it takes two cards to take down a Fel Reaver (meaning you got value off of Fel Reaver).

There are very few cards that impact a game almost single handedly. You don't win because of one card... you win because of a bunch of cards. You may have top dicked lethal with Fireball but that situation wouldn't have happened if you weren't ahead on the board at some point in the game. Likewise Fel Reaver might have dealt like 24 damage to the opponent's face but that wouldn't have been possible if you didn't maintain some semblance of board control the 4 turns before Fel Reaver got played.

Likewise there are cards that are even more situational than Fel Reaver that are still fine Arena picks. Cards like BGH are like that. It's probably going to be negative value more often that not but when it hits its likely game winning by itself.

Was talking about the times where Fel Reaver works vs doesn't work. Fel Reaver more often wins you a game than loses you the game was my point. If your game comes down to you needing Fel Reaver to win the game and you lose anyway.. that's not the fault of Fel Reaver but the rest of the deck not doing its job. A lot of the time you won't even draw Fel Reaver.

A card which allows you to win more than it makes you to lose in Arena is generally good. You basically need to stack your entire deck with cards like these and their cumulative effect allows you to get to high wins. Pyroblast is a good example. There will be times where it will win you the game and there will be times where it will sit in your hand doing nothing and potentially lose you the game.

Plus Fel Reaver also has to be played properly, many people still don't know how to properly play Fel Reaver or when to play it.

How can you play it wrong in Arena? As soon as you can seems like a good rule of thumb IMO. Coining it on T4 will usually win you the game right there. Your opponent will have to devote significant resources to killing it from then on and when he does you'll be wildly ahead. The burned cards won't matter.

Dahbomb

How can you play it wrong in Arena? As soon as you can seems like a good rule of thumb IMO. Coining it on T4 will usually win you the game right there. Your opponent will have to devote significant resources to killing it from then on and when he does you'll be wildly ahead. The burned cards won't matter.
Do you have minions on the board before? Did the opponent play any spells/removal before?What are you playing against? What are the life totals like? What kind of deck are you playing?

If you are playing against a Mage, you have no board, they have a board with a Snowchugger then you lost the game playing that Fel Reaver. Or if you are playing against a Paladin and they play a Humility/Peacekeeper on it then you also lost the game,

That's what I am talking about playing it improperly. You can't always just coin it on T4 and expect to win the game off of it. That play can get punished hard.

If you were behind on board and then you play Fel Reaver that's even worse. You have to set up the situation where Fel Reaver is optimum to play him. It's also similar to how you play Venture Co, you can't just coin it out on turn 4 and then be like "yup I win the game, no way my opponent will have an answer against it on turn 5!"

Also as stated before... Fel Reaver is a face card, not a board control card. If there are taunts on board then it's a bad time to play Fel Reaver. If you have board control then that means that when Fel Reaver gets dropped down it will hit the face. Similar to the rule of thumb of Savanna Highmane... if that card gets to hit the face then you have a very high chance of winning the game. When Fel Reaver gets played that means you intend to put the opponent on a clock.

It's no surprise that Fel Reaver and Venture Co are among the most misplayed cards in Arena.

ZealousD

You shouldn't really actively trade with it, for one. Trading is about playing the long game and playing it safe. With Fel Reaver, your game plan is to be incredibly threatening to the point where your opponent has to throw everything at it. Basically, you go face with it. The fact that you have an 8/8 makes it hard enough to kill that you'll probably go two for one anyway even if you don't trade.

Do you have minions on the board before? Did the opponent play any spells/removal before?What are you playing against? What are the life totals like? What kind of deck are you playing?

If you are playing against a Mage, you have no board, they have a board with a Snowchugger then you lost the game playing that Fel Reaver. Or if you are playing against a Paladin and they play a Humility/Peacekeeper on it then you also lost the game,

That's what I am talking about playing it improperly. You can't always just coin it on T4 and expect to win the game off of it. That play can get punished hard.

If you were behind on board and then you play Fel Reaver that's even worse. You have to set up the situation where Fel Reaver is optimum to play him. It's also similar to how you play Venture Co, you can't just coin it out on turn 4 and then be like "yup I win the game, no way my opponent will have an answer against it on turn 5!"

Also as stated before... Fel Reaver is a face card, not a board control card. If there are taunts on board then it's a bad time to play Fel Reaver. If you have board control then that means that when Fel Reaver gets dropped down it will hit the face. Similar to the rule of thumb of Savanna Highmane... if that card gets to hit the face then you have a very high chance of winning the game. When Fel Reaver gets played that means you intend to put the opponent on a clock.

It's no surprise that Fel Reaver and Venture Co are among the most misplayed cards in Arena.

Ok, of course playing it into a Snowchugger would not be optimal, but it's far from losing you the game. Specially in arena with limited card draw. I still think playing it on T4 is the correct play 99% of the time and will win you the game. The chances of him drafting Humility is low and then having it on his hand even lower. Peacekeeper might be a little higher, but there's no sense in waiting. He could have 4 in his deck, so waiting until he runs out is even more pointless. Unless you just let it sit in your hand the whole game against Paladins. You have to take risks to win.

You shouldn't really actively trade with it, for one. Trading is about playing the long game and playing it safe. With Fel Reaver, your game plan is to be incredibly threatening to the point where your opponent has to throw everything at it. Basically, you go face with it. The fact that you have an 8/8 makes it hard enough to kill that you'll probably go two for one anyway even if you don't trade.

That's a given. I was mainly talking about playing it at "the wrong time". As soon as possible is what I go by in Arena. #YOLO all the way.

Because in arena you are playing mage and mage has frost bolt or blizzard or ice lance or a freezing spare part or a snow chugger or a water elemental that freezes things for some reason even though it is made of water and you will be completely fucked two turns later.

Fel Reaver is a great tempo card in Arena.

When I started getting better at arena a few months ago, my first 12 win deck was a Mage deck built almost entirely around Fel Reaver and Pyroblast.

I won four or five of those games solely because of the synergy between those two cards.

So, obviously depends on what comes out of the packs I open but just curious as to what people think.

Worth disenchanting a golden Illidan for some extra dust to craft TGT epics and/or legendary? I already have a normal Illidan as well.
I'd wait just a little bit. See what you get out of your TGT packs and see what type of deck you want to play. Then you'll know how much dust you want/need.

I personally only care about gold cards so I'd dust normal Illidan myself in a heartbeat.

Because in arena you are playing mage and mage has frost bolt or blizzard or ice lance or a freezing spare part or a snow chugger or a water elemental that freezes things for some reason even though it is made of water and you will be completely fucked two turns later.

But the only way to play around that is not to play it against Mage. Even if it gets frozen for a couple of turns it's not the end of the world IMO. He has to devote resources to freezing it, while the rest of your minions are free to attack.

ViviOggi

But the only way to play around that is not to play it against Mage. Even if it gets frozen for a couple of turns it's not the end of the world IMO. He has to devote resources to freezing it, while the rest of your minions are free to attack.
When you're not playing against Mage you're playing against Paladin and following the rules

Frozen for two turns and then flamestrike to finish everything off. You just lost 15 cards and couldn't attack.

Arena mages have freeze and cheap minions. I've never seen it work.

Granted that mostly counts against mage...but that is kind of hard to ignore. Maybe post TGT things will mix up a little and it'll at least get flame lanced.

ZealousD

That's a given. I was mainly talking about playing it at "the wrong time". As soon as possible is what I go by in Arena. #YOLO all the way.

It's actually not a given. In that video Haunted posted, Trump gave no shits that he was on a clock and he kept trying to make value plays with board trades. While he was staunchly defending the card, he was still playing it wrong.

Mirimar

If anyone happens to be playing EU, I need a little help with the spectator's quest. Should be able to help with others if needed as well.

Tag is Mirimar#1710

*edit* Got it, but feel free to add for EU. Happy to have more people on my list =D

Razakin

Gotta love when people decide not to kill Chromaggus from Unstable Portal instantly and let it live for 3 turns, I really did enjoy double Flamewakers, Sorcerer's Apprentice and finally Arcane Intellect into double Ragnaros and something else. Didn't even mind at all burning Doctor Boom.

Best part was that actually could have died at the end, got cocky and didn't attack with my last Flamewaker when opponent was at 18 health with nothing on board and me with 2 rags and Flamewaker at 7 health. Topdecked Fireball would have been so crushing.

Edit: Mirimar, added you if you still need help with the quest.

Wow, the newest Hearthstone Mythbusters. Acolyte can draw a card if he gets hit when he has Divine Shield. wtf

Also if a minion gets killed by Vaporize and sent back by Freezing Trap it will enter dead.

Razakin

Wow, the newest Hearthstone Mythbusters. Acolyte can draw a card if he gets hit when he has Divine Shield. wtf

Also if a minion gets killed by Vaporize and sent back by Freezing Trap it will enter dead.
Gotta love those odd interactions. I mean, you can get 4/20 Twilight Drake too. Really loving stuff like HS Mythbusters or Hearthstone Science, even if most of the stuff they're showing is something you will either see or play normally.

Dreavus

I don't know if it's just me but ranked has been feeling pretty competitive even down in the rank 15~ dregs. It must be the rewards people are after. I'd be interested to see some stats about ranked play before and after the announcement.

I had a warlock instantly concede when I killed his imp gang with a Velen's chosen'd 2/3 plus an acolyte of pain to run into the summoned imp (rank 11).

Must have been a rough day on the ladder.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have you been to Legend before?

Just keep in mind that 5-Legend is a lot harder than 25-5, and will take you longer as well, especially in this cutthroat environment.
I don't know if it's just me but ranked has been feeling pretty competitive even down in the rank 15~ dregs. It must be the rewards people are after.

It is. Everyone's thirsty for those golden epics and are hitting the ladder with every net deck they can find.

It's funny watching people fail at Patron though, especially when everyone is teched to kill it.

Skux

Just realised that Lock and Load stacks. Two cards per spell. And if you draw a spell and play it that's another two cards. Crazy.

Owzers

Got to rank 14 with aggro Rogue today, now back at rank 16. Such is life...

i got super lucky and broke my 18/17 back and forth and got to 15 with bonus star surges with my iffy Priest deck. Streak was ruined by a mech mage who got off two mech warpers by turn three, i had nothing.

Pooya

Today gotta be arena bullshit day.

First run with paladin, my first game is against a shaman, he opens with double zap-o-matic, going full smorc on me. I kill them then he gives another minion windfury lmao.

Another game against rogue, full on oil rogue on display. Violet Teacher, sprint, blade fury, oil, you name it . Got burst hit with south sea deckhand. LOL

ended 5-3.

Second run priest... ahahahah. This was a disaster. 1-3. Mage was just sitting back and pyroblasting me. lol

Third run, mage. This was going ok, I had one patron in my deck. Priest thoughtsteal just that one and gives it velen's chosen, I had him at 10 life and I lose the control of entire game. I couldn't believe it how I lost that game. It hurt so bad.

Another mage, of course pyroblast everyone has it. This one ended 5-3 too. Ladder has a lot less rage to it than this non sense mode. Waste of gold.

Bizazedo

Wow, the newest Hearthstone Mythbusters. Acolyte can draw

Remember when if you got hit by a freeze minion, but if you had armor / divine shield up, the freeze effect wouldn't "hit"? I miss that. :(. Was so annoyed when they fixed it.

So I built an Eboladin deck based on one you guys linked in this thread. Had gotten stuck around 11 with a control warrior, bouncing around, so figured I'd try it. Immediately steamrolled my opponents, including another Eboladin and a Zoo.

Felt so dirty and easy and braindead, I haven't felt this ashamed since I added Vergil to my UMvC3 team.

Remember when if you got hit by a freeze minion, but if you had armor / divine shield up, the freeze effect wouldn't "hit"? I miss that. :(. Was so annoyed when they fixed it.

So I built an Eboladin deck based on one you guys linked in this thread. Had gotten stuck around 11 with a control warrior, bouncing around, so figured I'd try it. Immediately steamrolled my opponents, including another Eboladin and a Zoo.

Felt so dirty and easy and braindead, I haven't felt this ashamed since I added Vergil to my UMvC3 team.

I run Eboladin all the way to 2 so far. It gets a lot less brain dead once you hit 5 especially vs hunter/patrons. It's like running zero... I mean you hit them take them to the corner and zoop zoop. But if you get caught then well you dead, and you don't have dark vergil for a comeback.

Hunter is way better than Mage in the Brawl as long as the Hunter isn't stupid enough to play it like Face Hunter.

Make smart trades, Lock and Load, you win.

And if lock and load is in the back half of your deck, you lose probably around 90% of the time. That's why the deck is absolute shit

I'm at rank 4 but haven't seen patron warrior or eboladin in a long time, weird. Hope that higher ranks don't have much of them since i'm climbing with Midrange druid. Also, good thing that golden portraits don't demoralize me as much as before because i've seen a lot of them since rank 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom