• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hello again.

Is it possible... to have a really bad day as Face Hunter? I swear today nothing's gone right for me as Face Hunter. I had better luck and more timely bursts as MalyRogue than this shit.

This one Priest before I pressed Escape > Quit was always ahead with his basic shit, and I was continuously falling behind being forced to trade while my draws were decent at best.

Anyone who plays Murloc decks, especially Shaman Murlocs, should never get any respect. They are completely illegitimate shit, will never be legitimate and are nothing but the worst kind of circus clowns. A complete joke of a so-called "deck."

My apologies... I just want to know if y'all ever had a bad day as SMOrc...

eloiseSalt

Yeah, every deck can run into horrible bursts of luck like this. The special perk of stuff like face hunter or eboladin is that it's not nearly as painful to make up the losses due to the speed of the games.

Ultrabum

In my last 68 matches, I have played 0 shamans. I am at rank 3-2. For reference I played mostly mage, warrior, and paladin. I played 1 rogue, and 2 priests.

Surprisingly, like 1/3 of the paladins have been midrange or control, which really surprised me and screwed me over as patron warrior.

V-Faction

Hell no.... LOL!
No.
Combo specifically says it triggers when another card has been played.

For non-pendantic reasoning, I think it would make cards like Tinker's Oil WAYYYY too good. I like to believe they built these powerful combo effects around the fact that they can't be played by themselves (Prep notwithstanding-- that card probably needs to be a rogue common or something, it is virtually essential) and balanced accordingly.

As Rogue is my least interesting class, along side their hero power vs. Inspire as a mechanic, it was something I caught myself pondering about today. What would be the motivation for Rogues to use Inspire cards over their regular ones. Daggering up more than once can be wasteful because of how the 1/2 weapon operates. Does the drawback of destroying one's own weapon each time you hero power outweigh getting a 2-mana cost combo starter on demand? It's what makes the coin so powerful in Rogue, right? Combo starter, free cost, extra mana into whatever you want.

I'm not sure, to be honest. Not all combo effects are created equal. Some have boosted effects, where as others the combo IS the only effect. I can definitely see how Tinker's Oil would be beneficial if they made the change. But seeing garbage like Poisoned Blade is pretty astounding. In the end, it doesn't matter to me all that much. I suppose combo is like pseudo-inspire anyway, in that the mechanic can only function once per turn.

Hello again.

Is it possible... to have a really bad day as Face Hunter? I swear today nothing's gone right for me as Face Hunter. I had better luck and more timely bursts as MalyRogue than this shit.

This one Priest before I pressed Escape > Quit was always ahead with his basic shit, and I was continuously falling behind being forced to trade while my draws were decent at best.

Anyone who plays Murloc decks, especially Shaman Murlocs, should never get any respect. They are completely illegitimate shit, will never be legitimate and are nothing but the worst kind of circus clowns. A complete joke of a so-called "deck."

My apologies... I just want to know if y'all ever had a bad day as SMOrc...

eloiseSalt

That might be your problem. You want to maybe trade on the first few turns to clear the board for your minions, but after that it's face all the way (do kill the northshire cleric though). He should trade into your minions because you can outburst him. Leaving your minions on the board with less than 20 health is usually suicide for him, so he'll do the trading for you. You use your weapons and direct spells for removal late game if you have to, but usually face is the place.

That said, Priest is a tough match up because the heal could put them out of range and you'll run out of gas.

JSR_Cube

I've been thinking about this and the coin shouldn't count as a card. Going second is already a slight advantage since you get an extra card, plus the coin to help smooth out your curve in the first few turns and that's fair.

But buffing Mana Wyrm, triggering Flamewaker or comboing with Rogue (T1 defias ringleader anyone?), is straight up bullshit IMO.

The coin should be something outside of the game. Not considered a spell or a card played and also not affected by stuff like Loatheb. Just a way to get 1 mana when you need it, nothing more, nothing less.

The coin debate has been going on probably since at least the beta. I completely agree with you but I doubt Blizzard is going to change their minds now.

Line_HTX

That might be your problem. You want to maybe trade on the first few turns to clear the board for your minions, but after that it's face all the way (do kill the northshire cleric though). He should trade into your minions because you can outburst him. Leaving your minions on the board with less than 20 health is usually suicide for him, so he'll do the trading for you. You use your weapons and direct spells for removal late game if you have to, but usually face is the place.

That said, Priest is a tough match up because the heal could put them out of range and you'll run out of gas.

Yeah, essentially I ran out of steam even with weapons was too far behind. Couldn't take anymore

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Outside of Tempo Mage and Rogue there's no advantage to having the coin. Going first is still better. I actually cringe when people come up with combos using the coin about stuff coming out a turn earlier than it should because doing that combo on the next turn without the coin is a negligible difference.

Dahbomb

Outside of Tempo Mage and Rogue there's no advantage to having the coin. Going first is still better. I actually cringe when people come up with combos using the coin about stuff coming out a turn earlier than it should because doing that combo on the next turn without the coin is a negligible difference.
If Lock n Load Hunter becomes a thing then that would be another class that gets advantage from coin.

In all honestly most of the matches that I have won in that brawl was when I had coin as Hunter with LnL.

ZealousD

If Lock n Load Hunter becomes a thing then that would be another class that gets advantage from coin.

In all honestly most of the matches that I have won in that brawl was when I had coin as Hunter with LnL.

Point being is that having those decks get a spell advantage from the coin actually helps keep the game balanced. Outside of these decks the coin is significantly less meaningful and does not give you an advantage.

CoolOff

As a Priest with Pyro, coin is everything.

Getting Prophet Velen on the board to make your Shadowform ping for 6 is AMAZING.

19e6j6t14eeb3gif.gif

Zoolock match up generally depends on the quality of the minions. If it's the aggro Zoolock version Patron absolutely demolishes that. If it's the slower midrange version then that's not as easy for Patron as there are quite a few minions that are tough to kill for the Patron and they can put serious pressure in the early game.

I think the Handlock player has to play either really bad or get really unlucky to lose to a Patron Warrior. Basically it's really hard for Patron Warrior to deal with Mountain Giants and Drakes then curve into Belchers with taunted Ancient Watchers. Once the double Executes are used up its a done deal for the Handlock. I have beaten Handlocks as well as Patron and one was a spectacular win where I managed to win despite there being 3 big taunts up but it generally boils down to whether the Handlock manages to pull their taunt activators or not.

It really is insanely hard unless you tech Brawl. I had pretty much a perfect hand, drew most of my deck and still lost to Handlock because 2 executes won't get you through 5+ taunts (double Belcher, 3 giants that got sunfuried, etc.)

Point being is that having those decks get a spell advantage from the coin actually helps keep the game balanced. Outside of these decks the coin is significantly less meaningful and does not give you an advantage.

Well it shouldn't give you an advantage. The whole point is to negate the advantage the other player has of going first so you're both equal. It's a clever piece of design.

There was another game of iPad called Shadow Era that was remarkably similar to Hearthstone. Same basic premise, heroes, crystals for mana that increase by 1 each turn, minions, weapons, armor, etc. But it didn't have the coin and balance was shit. Going first was just too good in that game, like 80% win rate in a mirror. That's a problem and I think the coin solves it quite elegantly.

Making it a spell though or activating combos is going too far. In a rogue mirror going second is a huge advantage and that was not the intention of creating the coin in the first place.

Coldarra Drake is such an annoying card. You either remove it right away or you lose.

There's getting to be way too many cards like that in Hearthstone and I'm not a fan.

embalm

Well it shouldn't give you an advantage. The whole point is to negate the advantage the other player has of going first so you're both equal. It's a clever piece of design.

There was another game of iPad called Shadow Era that was remarkably similar to Hearthstone. Same basic premise, heroes, crystals for mana that increase by 1 each turn, minions, weapons, armor, etc. But it didn't have the coin and balance was shit. Going first was just too good in that game, like 80% win rate in a mirror. That's a problem and I think the coin solves it quite elegantly.

Making it a spell though or activating combos is going too far. In a rogue mirror going second is a huge advantage and that was not the intention of creating the coin in the first place.
The player who goes first still has an advantage of like 6%. I don't remember where I first read it, but here is an old Reddit thread with some of those statistics.

Since going first is still to the advantage, I'm not surprised they have cards that offer a little more help to players who go second.

Those spell or combo cards are the only thing that help cover the 6% advantage the first player has against you, and you have to draw them before you have to use the coin to fix your mana curve.

It seems pretty balanced I think. I would love to see some stats on new decks. Rogue was the only class able to beat the disadvantage before, but now we have tempo mage who can make use of the coin as well.

I prefer going 2nd with ramp Druid.
There were also some stats that showed most players prefer going second, even when they lose more often going second. There is a mind trick where having the coin & card advantage seems better than it really is. I wish I had a link for this, but I can't find the stats right now.

Dahbomb

Ropecoach with the biggest choke ever due to the rope.

Forever Ropecoach.

Also rare footage of Boom bots failing to kill 2 minions on board.

Dahbomb

Easiest Kill Command Hero Power and he blew it, just to rush the Krush.

He was fishing for lethal with Boom Bots and King Crush.

It wasn't a bad play... what was awful was that he waited until the rope to send the bots in and then make his play based on the bots RNG.

If he got to hit with the 1/1 into Loatheb he would've been in ok shape. But the 1/1 didn't do anything and he failed.

Finalow

I don't have enough FailFish for that ropecoach play. how do you even lose after getting so lucky

from 0 - 4 to 4 - 4, coach team must be happy lol.

Mixed2k

I haven't paid much attention to the games but, is Lifecoach playing hunter with 2 marks and no unleash ? That deck just doesn't seem right regardless, so slow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Priests are always so fucking annoying for me to fight. Why the hell do you have DOUBLE MIND CONTROL in this aggressive ass meta? :|

Mixed2k

Does anyone remember when GvG was available time of day wise? I need to know when to be prepared.

I remember the servers getting hammered and a lot of people not being able to get in and open their packs.
If I remember correctly Amaz wanted to open like 200 packs but couldn't and had to wait until the next day to do it.

I remember the servers getting hammered and a lot of people not being able to get in and open their packs.
If I remember correctly Amaz wanted to open like 200 packs but couldn't and had to wait until the next day to do it.
Sounds about right. Wonder if pre-orders will help at all if less people barrage the store. Probably not.

Going through all the new cards' sounds on Hearthhead now. I like how Crowd Favorite is a Twitch reference.

http://www.hearthhead.com/card=2518/crowd-favorite
I might run Tournament Attende just for his death sound. It's like he got a spear through him, and his last realization is that he dropped his popcorn.

All the sounds are great for sure.

Dahbomb

Lifecoach lost so much after his team being up 4-0 now they are on the last game.

Lifecoach's Grim Patron vs Sjow's Mech Shaman.

The tilt is fucking real.

Lifecoach managed to clutch it out in the end.

Line_HTX

Ugh, I don't know how anyone has the patience for watching Lifecoach. Like, I swear he does this to himself everytime and then BOOM!

"Too late! Your turn is over."

Nein, what the fucking sheisse...

ZealousD

The point is that making it not a spell doesn't make it more equal. It puts the winrate back on the going first side. If you look at winrates in arena, where the coin being a spell is still mostly negligible except for Rogue, you still see higher winrates for going first. By making it not act as a spell, you make the coin mechanic less equal, not more.

ViviOggi

Coldarra Drake is such an annoying card. You either remove it right away or you lose.

There's getting to be way too many cards like that in Hearthstone and I'm not a fan.
That only happens because brawl decks are garbage. Anyone bringing that shit to constructed and getting le epic value pings next turn is gonna get demolished.

Pooya

I was queuing my berserkers, first one went then second one become unresponsive. The rope was going and whatever I did I couldn't select it, I was like ffff DC now??? turns out the guy has conceded before I even hit. This is not fair, I worked so hard for this moment and they give me panic instead of satisfaction? There should be some penalty for conceding. What if I didn't have lethal and you conceded prematurely? I only had 44 damage. see it all the way through please. thanks.

Are you serious? Tirion happens to be the only class legendary I got, but since I don't have the right cards to run a control/midrange Paladin I only play Eboladin.

yeah why not? Typically you would need those big drops against classes like control warrior or druid. The other stuff you throw at them tend to exhaust their removals and silence except BGH. warlock, warrior, druids all run BGH. Because of that Boom will get hit on the spot but Tirion can't be killed by BGH. Even if he dies on turn, ashbringer to face can win the game. It's definitely better than boombots here, since you want everything tohit face at that point and boombots can go elsewhere.

I think I spent an hour watching him try to order McDonalds online that day.

It was a strange time in my life.

There should be some penalty for conceding. What if I didn't have lethal and you conceded prematurely? I only had 44 damage. see it all the way through please. thanks.

I will never support this. Conceding when you have no way back is the right thing to do, it saves time for both players. They've even made it faster now in the new patch, you don't have to watch all the animations queue up now.

The only time I would disagree is if you're at 2 losses in Arena, and that's a big if.

Pooya

Speaking of saving time, how one can think it's a good idea to ladder with mill rogue? Like really? The game you MIGHT win will take forever and you just lose every other game against aggro. Can you even mill hunter or paladin? seems like a bad idea...
Third time I face a mill rogue with my patron warrior and guess how it ended all three times. Milling isn't the counter to patron. You gotta be so lucky to burn something good, you likely just end up burning card draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom