• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulgrok

#brawltales

That feel when you Death Wing a board full of high damage minions.

That feel when your opponent top decks freeze spells 3 turns in a row so you lose anyway.

Interfectum

huh... my dog stepped on my keyboard and accidentally pre-ordered the Grand Tournament card packs. (that's what I told my wife, shh)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
#brawltales

That feel when you Death Wing a board full of high damage minions.

That feel when your opponent top decks freeze spells 3 turns in a row so you lose anyway.

Weirdly enough I have yet to see a single Deathwing. Especially odd is how frequently I have gotten Sylvannas and Iron Juggernaut in comparison, I've gotten both 4-5 times each now.

CoolOff

Playing Arena-Hunter with 17/30 cards classified as reach on HA.

FACE IS THE PLACE

4-1 so far, with the only loss being due to a bad misplay against a Priest who then out-healed me. I'm just farming these slow Mages. Oh, you drafted 5 Flamestrikes? Have fun with those.

V-Faction

I'm all for a Mad Inspire-tist. Like Secrets, not every class will benefit from Hero Powers, so do it I say.

Make two separate versions
Battlecry: The next usage of your Hero Power costs (0) mana.
Deathrattle: The next usage of your Hero Power costs (0) mana.

This is better than a trigger effect because it let's you dictate when to activate, ala Dragon Consort.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's a Spider Tank + RANDOM THINGS HAPPEN.

I mean, maybe it's more fuel for tempo mage, but I think Tempo Mage could only have room for something like that if they had to cut secrets. So, this card won't really see play unless Mad Scientist gets nerfed.

Good Enough for Arena™, though.

I guess this expansions RNG quota hadn't been filled yet. Random spell card as in random spell of any class, or their class?

Mage gets Deadly Poison
Opponent gets Shadow Word: Death.

The1Ski

Finally bought my first adventure (Naxx) and its a lot tougher than I expected! I haven't spent any real money on the game so my collection is a little light, so that doesn't help.

I wasn't expecting them to just give away the 31 cards, but ouch!

Any general pro tips?

Finally bought my first adventure (Naxx) and its a lot tougher than I expected! I haven't spent any real money on the game so my collection is a little light, so that doesn't help.

Any general pro tips?

There is a gimmick to each fight, breaking the rules of normal constructed format. This means that one deck might not be able to beat every single encounter. Each boss has a weakness, try building different decks if you are stuck!

Any general pro tips?

There should be some guides out there for doing them with basic decks. If nothing else they should give you a general idea on how to approach each boss.

Weirdly enough I have yet to see a single Deathwing. Especially odd is how frequently I have gotten Sylvannas and Iron Juggernaut in comparison, I've gotten both 4-5 times each now.

I dropped Deathwing twice on the same guy. It was a Warrior who kept pulling Shield Block and even hit me with a Shield Block, Shield Slam combo. He eventually ran out of cards, so I dropped Deathwing on him. The very next Unstable Portal I played gave me a free Brew Master, so I waited for him to get a few minions out and bounced Deathwing and board wiped him a second time.

The1Ski

There should be some guides out there for doing them with basic decks. If nothing else they should give you a general idea on how to approach each boss.

There is a gimmick to each fight, breaking the rules of normal constructed format. This means that one deck might not be able to beat every single encounter. Each boss has a weakness, try building different decks if you are stuck!

Thanks guys. I've had some success and cleared two wings. It'll definitely take some time to clear the whole adventure which is good and bad. Good because of the long lasting challenge. Bad because of the potentially long grind for some cool cards.

Just need to get better!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, Blizz is printing way more 3 mana 3/4s this go around now. Hard to say how that will work in practice since ANY spell has so much variance, but I could see it being a one of in tempo mage.

Either way I like the card art a lot.

I dropped Deathwing twice on the same guy. It was a Warrior who kept pulling Shield Block and even hit me with a Shield Block, Shield Slam combo. He eventually ran out of cards, so I dropped Deathwing on him. The very next Unstable Portal I played gave me a free Brew Master, so I waited for him to get a few minions out and bounced Deathwing and board wiped him a second time.

There are definitely some hilarious combos that can be made. I had a ridiculous match vs. a Paladin where I should have lost, he had a super aggressive start and I was pulling really slow things like Volcanic Lumberer and Gazlowe. He got smaller drops, shit with windfury, etc. Then dropped wee spellstopper next to an annoy-o-tron, a keeper of the grove to get rid of the lumberer taunt and keep going face, and then a damn iron sensei that buffed the taunt. As a mage I couldn't ping the divine shield which slowed me down soo much.

But then I had a ridiculous turn while I was running out of cards where I pulled gadgetzan auctioneer, next card was wild pyro, and I turned it into a board clear as I kept drawing though the pyro had to die. I now had board control with about 8 health and a few minions on board while he had 3 cards in hard.

Those cards end up being equality into dark iron skulker which clears my entire board as the reset health acts undamaged. Then a warsong commander into hero power(with charge). The charge put me at 7 and meant I was dead even if I pinged the guy from his board alone, so I had 2 more portals for an answer. First was mana tide totem, second was...jaraxxus. And I had the exact 6 mana left to play him and heal back up and kill the warsong. From here I tried to just keep the board clear and hero power, I managed to keep drawing cards from the manatide and pull a malygos and drew an ice barrier. Then an echo of medivh draw for good measure!

I was about to concede before the gadgetzan turn, but in this mode bullshit RNG can come out of nowhere to save the day.

I also learned that the Jaraxxus hero powers actually are printed as a 6 mana minion.

Dahbomb

I mean, maybe it's more fuel for tempo mage, but I think Tempo Mage could only have room for something like that if they had to cut secrets. So, this card won't really see play unless Mad Scientist gets nerfed.

Nah son it's all about DAT MILL strategy with this card!

Fatigue/Mill Mage comeback!

platakul

Banned
I could see that 2-4 work in a shaman deck now that Blizzard has provided us with an incentive to spam totems.

I agree, but I think the mana system as is hamstrings a lot of interesting plays you could make since a more aggressive style will win out

Rapstah

Maybe King's Defender is a sneak peek at how they'll nerf Patron Warrior... Warsong Commander will give Taunt instead of Charge to your minions with 3 attack or less. "Taunt forward!"

jgminto

3/4 becoming a more common stat for 3 drops is interesting but I wonder if it actually matters much when Shredder is still THE 4 drop.

Mulgrok

I discovered the dream for this brawl.

Turn one:
coin
portal
preparation
portal
free 3 mana minion
van cleef

My opponent conceded instantly.

Gotchaye

This is actually a card which is worse in Arena than it is in Constructed, I think. It's worse than a Spider Tank unless you're likely to get more out of a random spell than your opponent is - it depends on synergy with Wyrm, Apprentice, and Flamewaker. Obviously there are still other cards that you'd draft this over, and I guess Mages are particularly likely to have issues with card draw in Arena, so there's that, but for a class card to be worse than the comparable neutral is pretty bad. It's sure no Dark Cultist.

Dreavus

I don't like that new card much. It'd be nice if it gave you a 1 mana spell or some other limitation like that. Giving it to both players is kind of a downgrade from just being a mech. Given that there's no specific minion "type" hate yet, being a mech is all upside in spider tank's case. Whereas here you're not a mech and giving both players something. Might be hard to break the symmetry of the effect in your favour.

Maybe it could find use against combo decks that are trying to do something specific like patron? If the spell they get doesn't help their game plan they're not going to be ecstatic about it, while you would get a spell that would (presumably) work into a spell strategy using the other mage synergies. I don't think that's good enough for constructed but I guess it's something.

The fact that it's a class card is a bit disappointing since those are sometimes a step up over neutrals.

zoukka

Spellflinger is really bad since your opponent is the one who can immediately play the spell. It's a bit better topdeck than some other three drops because you can most likely play the spell right away.

All in all it's just more RNG bullshit. Has no place in constructed.

Or mahbe it does who the fuck knows this is RNGstone :)

It's a lot like Grove Tender, but it's actually better because it has +1 attack and can give a spell that just doesn't do anything for the other player and Mages generally have better spell synergy. But Grove Tender is an absolutely terrible card that only ever sees play in Mill Druid, so being a little better than that really isn't any good.

Haunted

With so many new minion cards, is it possible to draft an arena without ever seeing a spell to pick? I mean, if the game doesn't make sure you get some.

zoukka

This is actually a card which is worse in Arena than it is in Constructed, I think. It's worse than a Spider Tank unless you're likely to get more out of a random spell than your opponent is - it depends on synergy with Wyrm, Apprentice, and Flamewaker. Obviously there are still other cards that you'd draft this over, and I guess Mages are particularly likely to have issues with card draw in Arena, so there's that, but for a class card to be worse than the comparable neutral is pretty bad. It's sure no Dark Cultist.

But spider tank is a premium 3-drop in arena so there's no way this card is bad in arena.

With so many new minion cards, is it possible to draft an arena without ever seeing a spell to pick? I mean, if the game doesn't make sure you get some.

The picks offered aren't completely random in arena.

Xanathus

The picks offered aren't completely random in arena.

It only guarantees at least a rare every X number of cards, it doesn't mean they will be spells. So yeah the chances of you getting spells/removals goes down as they add more minions. In theory Mage/Paladin gets buffed since they have the most/best class card spells and removals.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Is it possible to use the amazon coins deal with the GT pre-order? Would be nice to get a bit extra saving but I'm still a bit confused at how it works and also I'm not in the US...

I hope Lock and Load Hunter becomes a thing. Definitely the card I'm most excited to see the repercussions of.

Control Hunter really needs that boost.

zoukka

It only guarantees at least a rare every X number of cards, it doesn't mean they will be spells. So yeah the chances of you getting spells/removals goes down as they add more minions. In theory Mage/Paladin gets buffed since they have the most/best class card spells and removals.

I bet they adjust the rates. Otherwise arena would deteriorate as time passes like you said and they won't let that happen. The rates are rigged over a big sample size of games I'm 100% sure.

I hope Lock and Load Hunter becomes a thing. Definitely the card I'm most excited to see the repercussions of.

Control Hunter really needs that boost.

I think control hunter is a dead dream because of the hero power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom