• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

ez squelch before every match

Everything is passive-aggressive due to Blizzard's shitty fiction and the smug shitlord VA on all characters

For maximum LALALLALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU say hello first, then squelch immediately after. You'll see their hero portrait light up as they mouse over to respond to you, but it's already too late.

Rapstah

I wonder what the eventual plan is to do with Tavern Brawl once it stops being free every week. Do they have a plan?

bjaelke

I wonder what the eventual plan is to do with Tavern Brawl once it stops being free every week. Do they have a plan?
For instance, we put Tavern Brawl out and our plan is to continue to support and do more cool stuff with it, but a lot depends on whether the community embraces it. If so, lean into it more, and if not, maybe see if there’s something else we should be working on.
http://www.pcgamer.com/hearthstones-eric-dodds-on-why-new-cards-need-to-scare-him/#page-3

Rapstah

Will they start charging for it? That would be awful.

They implied it won't be free forever IIRC. Here's the quote from the news post where they announced it. I think they were more clear somewhere else?
Tavern Brawls will have free admission when the new mode becomes available. As part of the launch celebration, you'll earn a free card pack when you win your first game of the week in the first several brawls!

Anilones

It looks like the regular coin deal works on Amazon UK anyway, redownloading it through their app now.

Where did you see this? I'm under the impression that the only offer currently in the UK is a simple discount of coins when bought in high amounts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't even imagine how it would work if they tied a gold entry towards it. They would at the very least need to really restructure and focus the mode to actually work towards anything and not just have a big meaningless WINS at the bottom.

I think it serves a nice purpose as-is, it's essentially a free pack every week at worst and a fun alternative to getting through quests otherwise.

Pooya

they should probably keep giving that pack, that's the only reason most play it and it's good to have to addict new players.

zoukka

Brawl needs some kind of incentive for wins if they think they can charge gold as admission. Nobody in their right mind would play that mode ever again if not for some kind of incentive.

They should introduce Brawl elements into arena to spice it up but obviously they need to make sure it's somewhat balanced although the mode is already class unbalanced.

Like the fundamental issue with arena to me is that it takes too long. If you end up with a mediocre deck, it's just a pain in the ass to even play the matches, you know somewhere around 7 wins all you face are mages and pallies with goodies in their deck.

In Magic limited formats, skill is so much bigger factor in determining who gets the prices and you have only three rounds to play (bo 3 which further eliminates the fucking RNG factor). The draft being uninteractive also hurts the mode a lot. You either get the sweet bombs in your run or you don't, it's completely random.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Where did you see this? I'm under the impression that the only offer currently in the UK is a simple discount of coins when bought in high amounts.

Yeah sorry that's what I mean, just spending £40 to get 5000 coins, gets you enough to buy the pre-order with 1501 coins left over. Enough to get plenty more packs so it works as a good deal, extra fiver gets you enough to get like 15/16 more packs.

Can't decide if I should use the rest of the coins I have to invest in more GvG packs (still lacking some heavy hitters there) or wait for TGT. Tempted atm just to buy GvG and save any dust I get for TGT.

Also the [50] over the Open Packs is gonna be such a friggin' tease.

ViviOggi

Blizz know they can't charge for brawl in its current state. The only thing I could see at some point is an overhaul of the entire reward system alongside which they make brawl an alternative to arena, but that also limits their design freedom - for example stuff like Rag vs Nef in an arena framework would be literal gambling.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Popped a Blingtron out of the 15 GvG packs I got with my leftover coins. Does anyone actually run this guy? Looks too dangerous, tempted to DE.

Anilones

Yeah sorry that's what I mean, just spending £40 to get 5000 coins, gets you enough to buy the pre-order with 1501 coins left over. Enough to get plenty more packs so it works as a good deal, extra fiver gets you enough to get like 15/16 more packs.

Can't decide if I should use the rest of the coins I have to invest in more GvG packs (still lacking some heavy hitters there) or wait for TGT. Tempted atm just to buy GvG and save any dust I get for TGT.

Also the [50] over the Open Packs is gonna be such a friggin' tease.

Have you already bought the coins? There's currently a deal with Amazon for £50 vouchers for £40 (link)

ViviOggi

Popped a Blingtron out of the 15 GvG packs I got with my leftover coins. Does anyone actually run this guy? Looks too dangerous, tempted to DE.
Some people play him in Mech Mage for the synergy and tempo potential. MM often runs out of gas in the midgame, the weapon lets you remove multiple small- to medium-sized minions while putting a mech on the board, also lets you override Death's Bite. It's really not that dangerous on average since you get to use the weapon first, which is always key with this type of card. It's also been seen in Priest since they a) can afford to play a slower game and the slot isn't too crowded for them and b) they run Harrison anyways.

It's a niche card sure but a playable one. The dust return on non-golden legendaries is so bad that I can only ever advise to de nothing but dupes and the truly trash ones.

Spellslinger isn't terrible. You get a 3/4 and a spell and your opponent only gets a spell. I could see this being okay.

I'm not saying it'll be used heavily or anything in constructed. I just think the card looks alright.

Santiako

I played against a Mech Mage with Blingtron a couple of days ago. I got a Glaivezooka, he got a Doomhammer. I lost.

ViviOggi

Mage getting a weapon-destroying spell would be awful. Tech cards should generally be neutral to keep options equal, if it's too good without the specific effect it would be op (see Flare), and otherwise it's never worth playing (see Flare) and a waste of an expansion slot. Granted it wouldn't be as bad as the pre-Kezan Flare situation since good neutral weapon tech already exists. Also Mage has two minions that ruin weapon classes anyway so eh.

If it deals damage based on the opponent's weapon that's a different deal but yeah, tough to balance and pretty unexciting as a card to begin with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder if they'd make a spell that does double damage to armor(since it looks like it's piercing) which would kinda be a direct "sup freeze mage" thing.

I've always thought of a minion or something that had more attack specifically vs. armor but figured that would never be run since Warrior is the only one that really stacks it and teching for one class would be dumb, and you'll typically never see Druid top out more than 2-3. But tie it to a spell and mage would be the only candidate I could see using it.

Could be a spell that deals damage somehow based on the weapon your opponent has. Would be pretty marginal then if it doesn't also destroy it.
I was thinking something like Flame Weapon that gives them damage based on Spell Power or something and allow them to attack with their face. Think Heroic Strike. Guess we won't know till tomorrow though. Which is weird in its own right because I don't remember there being any reveals over a weekend before.

Also, I agree ViviOggi, there already are easy and multiple ways to deal with weapons. And any class can get access to them. Makes me wonder why they didn't just make a 2 mana secret destroyer. I'd make the guess that when you play a weapon you're able to use it right away.

Also, I agree ViviOggi, there already are easy and multiple ways to deal with weapons. And any class can get access to them. Makes me wonder why they didn't just make a 2 mana secret destroyer. I'd make the guess that when you play a weapon you're able to use it right away.

That and the fact that classes that run weapons usually run quite a few. Warriors and Paladins run at least four weapons and Paladins get an extra one if they run Tirion. Rogue's hero power is a weapon. There's more targets and less devastation when they lose one.

Decks that run secrets usually run 2-3 outside of Freeze Mage and it is a heavy part of their strategy. If destroying a secret was as cheap as running a 2 mana card, everyone would run one and run it more than they do Kezan Mystic. Would make running secrets a hell of a lot less appealing and would make Mages and Hunters significantly weaker.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel like Blizzard should never really charge for Brawl. With a second expansion coming out, they need ways to help new players catch up on cards and giving away a free classic pack every week helps with this. For new players a pack is pretty useful, but for most of us it's just another 40 dust disappointment.

Loomba

I just tried to use an android emulator to get the samsung card pack, I logged in and it was making me do the training again, is that normal?

Parshias7

I just tried to use an android emulator to get the samsung card pack, I logged in and it was making me do the training again, is that normal?

That didn't happen to me when I tried it. Did you have your full collection once you finished the tutorial?

nikos

Haven't played in over a year. Was playing as Warlock, but I'm not opposed to changing. Any tips for getting back into the game?

I feel like Blizzard should never really charge for Brawl. With a second expansion coming out, they need ways to help new players catch up on cards and giving away a free classic pack every week helps with this. For new players a pack is pretty useful, but for most of us it's just another 40 dust disappointment.

Agreed. It's already going to be difficult for new players to catch up with there being two adventures and soon to be two full expansions by the end of next month. Should make it a bit easier to get classic packs.

Raxus

Haven't played in over a year. Was playing as Warlock, but I'm not opposed to changing. Any tips for getting back into the game?

Want to play Warlock still? Want an easy deck to build? Want something relatively inexpensive. Want something out of the norm?

Basically you'll want to but the 2 adventures and save the rest for arena/packs.

Pooya

I hope mage get a weapon, a weapon with 0 or 1 attack but as long as it is equipped you have spell damage +1.

It could be good for anti aggro and bring back obsolete spells like arcane explosion back to game.

Jaina carries that staff all the time, why not here...

Then there is the issue of unusable cards, you can get random spells from this new card which you can't use like oil, bladefury or deadly poison. Nefarian is same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom