• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joco

I have 4.5k dust saved up right now and I plan to save 1600 for 1 legendary. Is it better to use the remaining dust to craft epics, or is it more efficient if I focus on getting all the rares/commons in order to further complete the set?

Definitely epics. I never craft commons or rares as you're likely to get them in packs down the line. Epics are much harder to come across, so I'd use dust on them.

LOL i was thinking of crafting Nexus-Champion Saraad and i was crafting and undoing just to hear his line and i accidentally clicked the side of the screen crafting him for real, he's not bad but man now my wish to play control warrior is a bit farther away :(

I had something similar happen with golden nozdormu.

Was going around crafting golden legs to check them out, and I got dc'd after I crafted nozdormu.

Luckily the craft didn't register and I had all of my dust when logging back in.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I had something similar happen with golden nozdormu.

Was going around crafting golden legs to check them out, and I got dc'd after I crafted nozdormu.

Luckily the craft didn't register and I had all of my dust when logging back in.

That's good for you it didn't go trough, nozdormu is definitely not golden crafting material. unfortunately for me i'm starting to realize Nexus-Champion Saraad is pure garbage, every time i had the chance to play it has brought me garbage like vanish, damn maybe my rng luch has ran out.
NotLikeThis.png

V-Faction

If you don't have Lava Shock to cancel out all that overload, then you just wind up in a position where you need to use aoe two turns later since you effectively forfeit your next turn and probably just wiped your own board. I really don't understand why they made it hit your own minions. It has negative totem synergy.

Let's talk about this. Since I actually find it has way more utility beyond just AoE.

First off, it should be said never use Elemental Destruction at 3 mana. It is not a 3 mana card unless under the most extreme circumstances.

Now we've established that rule, there are a number of ways you might get more out of the card. There are some benefits on turn 4, but I think for the most part Elemental Destruction is a turn 5 and up card, minimum. Let's take a look.

Overload - The easiest to grasp. If you're going to be Overloaded never turn, unable to play much, why not go the full distance? AoE, then drop a Totem Golem. Or use Ancestral Knowledge for card draw. At some point, extra overload stops mattering.

Card Draw - Speaking of Card draw, you can play a Loot Horder or a Bloodmage Thalnos to cycle when you AoE, which isn't possible with Lightning Storm (Bloodmage will also boost that AoE up to 5-6 points of damage). Or, play an Acolyte of Pain or 2 a turn earlier. Since Elemental Destruction is damage and not destruction, it'll trigger.

Spell Power - Speaking of damage, you can increase the power of the AoE with things like Bloodmage or Kobold Geomancer. However, for the most bang for your buck, put down an Explosive Sheep for 6-7 points of damage, giving you the strongest-cheapest AoE in the game.

Deathrattle/Damage - In general, Deathrattle is good with Elemental Destruction. Pop a Nerubian Egg down, clear their board while simultaneously filling yours. No more relying on a single activator. Same with Dragon Egg(s), which trigger off your AoE. Try a Leper Gnome if you want face damage. Or a Haunted Creeper. Give an existing Minion on the board 'Ancestral Spirit' so it'll pop back up alive. Got a Shredder? Play it a turn before hand. Tie it all off with a Baron Rivendare--with 7 HP it'll survive the AoE and double your deathrattles.

Also, because you're killing your own minions, if there is a 6 minion minimum on the board between you and your opponent, you'll be able to play Volcanic Drake for free.

Mechs - Cheapo mechs work well towards repopulating your board. Mech Warper, Annoy-o-tron, Clockwork Gnome.

Minions in general - Cheap minions like Worgen Infiltrator, Zombie Chow, Echoing Ooze do the same.

Lava Shock - Lava Shock will clear your crystals for the following turn, so you can play it out like normal. And say your AoE doesn't get everybody, Lava Shock will finish the job.

Doomsayer - Here's something I would love to try. Use Elemental Destruction for a clear, then drop Doomsayer. Since you might be unable to do anything next turn cause of Overload, Doomsayer might by you some time. It discourages them from playing anything worthwhile. If they want to kill it, they'll expend some resources to do it, like perhaps a big spell or a Silence.

Totem: And, if nothing else, you can play a totem after a turn 5 Elemental Destruction.

Of course, all the cheap Shaman cost cards can be combo'd with it obviously, like Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, Rockbiter Weapon. It goes without saying that later turns will enable crazier tactics, but the ones I listed seem good at any mana level.

Mixed2k

That Brawl during Coach vs Gaara was brutal, but he deserved it for trading the minions therefore increasing the odds of ysera surviving.

Now I don't know what to think of fist of jaraxxus. When I saw it I thought, yeah sure this might become a thing much later in the game's life, but it's seeing play right after TGT release, seems better than expected.

Xanathus

Eloise's Warlock deck only seems good because it was played against midrange and control decks this time. If you take it on ladder you're gonna get destroyed. When I think about it all it does is improve the matchups where zoo is favored already like Druid and Control Warrior but it is worse against unfavorable matchups.

Rosenskjold

It feels like Blizzard has this idea that the more random the game is, the more fun it is(?) I remember an interview with Brode (I think), talking about how HS is a really strategic game compared to chess, because of the mix between probable and known outcomes. And since then they've just added more and more random factors :/

It feels like Blizzard has this idea that the more random the game is, the more fun it is(?) I remember an interview with Brode (I think), talking about how HS is a really strategic game compared to chess, because of the mix between probability and known outcomes. And since then they've just added more and more random factors :/

really strategic compared to chess? what the fuck?

ESPORTS!!!!!

Let's talk about this. Since I actually find it has way more utility beyond just AoE.

First off, it should be said never use Elemental Destruction at 3 mana. It is not a 3 mana card unless under the most extreme circumstances.

Now we've established that rule, there are a number of ways you might get more out of the card. There are some benefits on turn 4, but I think for the most part Elemental Destruction is a turn 5 and up card, minimum. Let's take a look.

Overload - The easiest to grasp. If you're going to be Overloaded never turn, unable to play much, why not go the full distance? AoE, then drop a Totem Golem. Or use Ancestral Knowledge for card draw. At some point, extra overload stops mattering.

This still leaves you in the hole. Totem Golem is a great two drop, but a poor 5 drop. Card advantage isn't really all that great when you have to wait two turns to use them.

Card Draw - Speaking of Card draw, you can play a Loot Horder or a Bloodmage Thalnos to cycle when you AoE, which isn't possible with Lightning Storm (Bloodmage will also boost that AoE up to 5-6 points of damage). Or, play an Acolyte of Pain or 2 a turn earlier. Since Elemental Destruction is damage and not destruction, it'll trigger.

These cards will already draw cards without you blowing your own shit up. With Acolyte of Pain, you're limiting it to one card drawn for 3 mana. You also just traded a card to draw a card, that's pretty weak. This is only beneficial if your Acolyte was already on the board and you already got at least one card out of him prior to casting ED. Thalnos + Lightning Storm leaves a Thalnos that the other guy has to deal with and you still get a card when he dies. Elemental Destruction isn't doing anything for these cards.

Spell Power - Speaking of damage, you can increase the power of the AoE with things like Bloodmage or Kobold Geomancer. However, for the most bang for your buck, put down an Explosive Sheep for 6-7 points of damage, giving you the strongest-cheapest AoE in the game.

I'd argue that Shadowflame is the strongest, cheapest aoe in the game if you're going to throw card combos into the mix. It also doesn't wipe your own board (just kills the one guy) and doesn't come with 5 overload.

Deathrattle/Damage - In general, Deathrattle is good with Elemental Destruction. Pop a Nerubian Egg down, clear their board while simultaneously filling yours. No more relying on a single activator. Same with Dragon Egg(s), which trigger off your AoE. Try a Leper Gnome if you want face damage. Or a Haunted Creeper. Give an existing Minion on the board 'Ancestral Spirit' so it'll pop back up alive. Got a Shredder? Play it a turn before hand. Tie it all off with a Baron Rivendare--with 7 HP it'll survive the AoE and double your deathrattles.

Out of all of the combos you just mentioned, Nerubian Egg and Ancestral Spirit are probably the only decent ones. With all the others, you're better off playing the minion after you cast ED so that you have something on board. The only exception would be if you needed 2 face damage for lethal and killed off your own Leper Gnomes.

Also, because you're killing your own minions, if there is a 6 minion minimum on the board between you and your opponent, you'll be able to play Volcanic Drake for free.

This would actually be a strong play, but how often will you be able to pull it off? And since you're giving up your next turn (unless you have Lava Shock), you're going to need to make the most of it with 2 Volcanic Drakes.

Mechs - Cheapo mechs work well towards repopulating your board. Mech Warper, Annoy-o-tron, Clockwork Gnome.

Minions in general - Cheap minions like Worgen Infiltrator, Zombie Chow, Echoing Ooze do the same.

Those are some pretty terrible mid-to-late game minions. Unless you dump a lot of them on the board at once, you're going to get run over in the next two turns. But that requires you to have a lot of cards in hand and opens you up to getting board wiped yourself.

Lava Shock - Lava Shock will clear your crystals for the following turn, so you can play it out like normal. And say your AoE doesn't get everybody, Lava Shock will finish the job.

I already mentioned that Lava Shock works with this card, you don't have to point it out to me.

Doomsayer - Here's something I would love to try. Use Elemental Destruction for a clear, then drop Doomsayer. Since you might be unable to do anything next turn cause of Overload, Doomsayer might by you some time. It discourages them from playing anything worthwhile. If they want to kill it, they'll expend some resources to do it, like perhaps a big spell or a Silence.

That's actually an interesting idea.

Totem: And, if nothing else, you can play a totem after a turn 5 Elemental Destruction.

This is exactly the type of thing I was saying works against Elemental Destruction. That's a really weak play.

Of course, all the cheap Shaman cost cards can be combo'd with it obviously, like Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt, Rockbiter Weapon. It goes without saying that later turns will enable crazier tactics, but the ones I listed seem good at any mana level.

Still leaves you with an empty board and a weak follow-up turn.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Trolden videos wouldn't exist without the randomness. Having crazy things happen is a huge part of the Hearthstone experience and randomness is a huge part of that. RNG is here to stay.

That said, not every card designed with RNG is good. I think Crackle is the worst card in the game, conceptually speaking, because it is completely unreliable.

gutshot

really strategic compared to chess? what the fuck?

ESPORTS!!!!!

If I remember correctly, his point was that since there is literally no RNG in chess, the games tend to all look very similar with lots of similar board states in each game. Hearthstone throws a lot of RNG into the mix, which the devs like because it creates new and unique situations in each game which require a lot of on-your-toes thinking to successfully navigate.

Dahbomb

If I remember correctly, his point was that since there is literally no RNG in chess, the games tend to all look very similar with lots of similar board states in each game. Hearthstone throws a lot of RNG into the mix, which the devs like because it creates new and unique situations in each game which require a lot of on-your-toes thinking to successfully navigate.
Yeah man those Knife Juggler into Implosion RNG really makes me think on my toes.

Kappa.gif

Dahbomb

It's what you do before and after to make that kind of combination work out best.

Are we really gonna complain about rng all over again?

Not one is complaining about RNG here because it's pretty much understood now.

Just pointing out that the strategic value of RNG is overrated by Ben Brode. You can't play around Nefarian pulling a game winning spell against you or Unstable Portal pulling out Avaian into Antonidas. And if you can't play around such wide ranges of RNG then it's not extremely strategic. Yeah there are some instances of strategic RNG manipulation like with Sylvanas or getting a specific Totem to spawn with Tuskar and the hero power but in many cases the RNG in the game is too wide range for it to serve a lot of good strategic purpose.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sorry i saw your pm late, it's:

2 shield slam
2 execute
1 whirlwind
1 fiery win axe
2 armorsmith
2 cruel taskmaster
1 shield block
2 acolyte of pain
1 bash
1 BGH
2 death's bite
1 shredder
2 brawl
1 Harrison
1 Belcher
1 Justicar
1 Shieldmaiden
1 Sylvanas
1 Baron gEddon
1 Boom
1 Grom
1 Alex
1 Ysera

tbh i don't consider the list particuarly unique or anything so it plays pretty much itself. 1 Axe is because drawing 2 is usually extremely useless, while 1 bash is often more useful lategame and it's extremely, extremely good vs aggro decks early on. A much more interesting list with which i climbed fast 5-2 is midrange druid:

1 innervate
2 wild growth
2 Darnassus Aspirant
2 sunfury protector
2 Wrath
1 bgh
2 Savage Roar
2 Spellbreaker
2 Shredders
2 Swipe
2 Keepers
2 druids of the claw
1 Loatheb
1 Harrison
1 Sylvanas
1 Cairne
1 Force of nature
2 Lore
1 Dr. balanced

You can play as an extremely fast deck, and the 4 silences are so good in this meta and in this deck too (as it make darnassus into spellbreaker playable on empty boards).

Thanks. I'm going to try whirlwind to help with early game tokens. The Shredder's an interesting touch with Brawl... will give that a go too. Thanks.

V-Faction

I already mentioned that Lava Shock works with this card, you don't have to point it out to me.
Easy now, there's no animosity here. I used your post as a jumping off point for more discussion about the card that anyone is welcome to talk about. Lava Shock certainly is the best play.

The idea behind Elemental Destruction works well in a destruction/deathrattle and-or control type of Shaman if you ask me. It's something that hasn't been fully realized (or been unable to be fully realized) until now, or at least that's my speculation. Much like the advent of Crackle gave Lava Burst a much better reason to exist, Elemental Destruction can bolster your Lightning Storms with effectively 4 AoE's. On top of that, Shaman's access to class cards like Ancestral Spirit and Reincarnate combined for potential AoE destruction may have some really effective synergy. With with access to more healing options like Healing Wave, you've got the making of more archetypes beyond Totems.

I'm glad Totems are a bigger thing now thanks to Valiant, Golem, and Tuskarr, but if there are more/other options out there, then cards like Elemental Destruction support that. Like the Grim patron deck--Warrior has access to so many 1-damage triggers that they can easily support a combo deck like that, even though Grim Patron is a neutral card. That's really all I'm saying. ED's downside may be an upside if you are playing up other strengths.

Pooya

Before I think during brawl load screen it was saying something like you don't get more packs past the first win, it's just for fun! now I just saw a line that said you get a free pack each week during launch celebration, sooo I guess it's going to be removed...

With them adding a brawl quest I don't think it will become a paid mode ever, looks like Blizzard's idea to make people play the mode is to force it with via quest rather than packs going forward. awful.

tylerf

Opened a golden Murloc Knight in a pack so I had to craft a 2nd one. That's like spawning unlimited golden Murlocs. Insane golden value!

Before I think during brawl load screen it was saying something like you don't get more packs past the first win, it's just for fun! now I just saw a line that said you get a free pack each week during launch celebration, sooo I guess it's going to be removed...

With them adding a brawl quest I don't think it will become a paid mode ever, looks like Blizzard's idea to make people play the mode is to force it with via quest rather than packs going forward. awful.

Yeah, I don't really see how them removing the pack is anything but bad. A free pack every week is really helpful to new players, and helpful to pretty much anyone but those who bought their way to a full collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom