• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chillin' hard.

3T1Kz5y.png

Justicar is fucking hilarious when only one of you have it.

Burgle makes oil rogue 100% more fun. I'm also trying dark iron skulker because of all these paladins and shamans but i haven't met one yet. At least i don't feel bad for running a complete netdeck while most people trying out new things.

Burgle does seem legit good. I also love Buccaneer.

Finalow

eboladin decks in arena at 1 - 0, amaziong. zombie chow turn 1, shielded minibot turn 2, murloc knight turn 4.

I played deathwing just to see him play belcher and 3 more summon shit cards.

I should just play paladin in arena and maybe someday I'll get that lucky with a deck.

Lumine

Ugh, is it me or has the meta already returned to before? I'm still experimenting with decks, but just running into the same old usual decks. That's really fast and takes the fun out of it honestly. :(

I still play oil rogue on ladder but I never got bored of gvg/brm cards so this doesn't even bother me at all tbh. And I think as long as one of the players has different cards it changes the dynamic and in fact just the possibility that my opponent might be playing something different makes it more interesting imo.

For example, I keep running into paladin decks who confuse competitive spirit with being a good card. I clear their board each turn and by the time it procs I have already won.

Ultrabum

Ugh, is it me or has the meta already returned to before? I'm still experimenting with decks, but just running into the same old usual decks. That's really fast and takes the fun out of it honestly. :(

All I'm seeing on ladder is paladin. Ebola paladin, secret paladin, midrange paladin, control paladin, it was all paladin...

antipod

Does no one else feel that buff priest is viable? Other decks besides boring-ass dragon work too.... Lol

-

Card pack stats!
http://www.hearthpwn.com

I feel pleased about opening an Eydis in my first 80 packs. Rarest!

I think it can work pretty well. Played dragon priest right after TGT released but have started to experiment a little with other priest decks. Buff priest is one of them, but it started out more like a try to make a TGT version of a divine spirit / inner fire deck with Eydis and Fjola thrown in. I lack Borf and Ysera (from your deck) and I can see that they would make a pretty good contribution to my deck, so I guess they are next on my crafting radar. :)

Edit: But, for me it isn't consistent enough, not like dragon priest. It very much depends on luck and who you face. Since there are few minions you can either just draw buff cards and nothing to cast them on or have the one or two minions you draw get killed before you can buff them. Haven't soved the consistency yet.

Dahbomb

Why even call it "Murloc Paladin" when it only runs like one Murloc?
People online sometimes do actually use a dedicated Murloc Paladin deck.

It's definitely playable. Divine Favor coves the main weakness of the tribe which is that they run out of steam quick because you have to play out your hand early.

Razakin

What are the chances that on brawl I get same starting hand on Druid twice in a row and next draw is same hogger too? Heck, even both opponents (rogue and warrior) played undertaker as their first minion.

Tubie

I'm so tempted to buy another 50 packs. I'm very close to having 2x of every blue and about half way done with every epic card just from my original preorder+gold saved haul.

It's why I have 4k dust that I don't wanna spend yet. I don't wanna craft something that I might get later from a pack.

Avinexus

Why even call it patron warrior? Should call it frothing warrior. The naming meta is weird.

I mean...that's completely different. The deck is centered around Patron, whereas adding one murloc card to any of the current Paladin decks doesn't make it a murloc paladin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Frothing was the win-con. The card advantage engine comes from Patron.

It's why the Miracle in Miracle rogue refers to the Gadgetzan draw engine, not the fact that they Shadowstep Leeroy twice.

Magnus

Why even call it patron warrior? Should call it frothing warrior. The naming meta is weird.

I believe Patron is what made the existing Warrior deck so powerful and took it over the top. Makes sense to name the deck after its 'enabler', so to speak.

I think it can work pretty well. Played dragon priest right after TGT released but have started to experiment a little with other priest decks. Buff priest is one of them, but it started out more like a try to make a TGT version of a divine spirit / inner fire deck with Eydis and Fjola thrown in. I lack Borf and Ysera (from your deck) and I can see that they would make a pretty good contribution to my deck, so I guess they are next on my crafting radar. :)

It's so, SO fun. No one really sees it coming. The sisters are unexpected new variables.

Honestly, the meta is really varied and exciting for me right now. But I'm not seeing a lot of what everyone else is. When most of you comment on the state of things in the game/the meta, are you generally only referring to like, Ranks 10-5 on the Ladder? My perspective is usually all the ranks between say 20 and all the way up to 8, and right now, it's just chaos. Fun fun chaos. Lots of different deck types. Not seeing any particular cancers recurring more frequently than others, honestly.

Justicar is fucking hilarious when only one of you have it.

TOTALLY. So happy I opened a Justicar up on launch day.

As a Priest, it's magical, because like Warrior, it enables serious staying power every turn and lets you survive later on into games where Control really gets strong and you begin to have a fighting chance against typical aggro decks. It's truly transformative.

As a bonus, if you can get one of the other cards out that modify it (Garrison Commander or Maiden of the Lake) you can stay alive even longer/for cheaper.

And of course, Flash Heal adds on to the cheap survivability into the late game where Priests thrive, and a Soulpriest makes both things into hardcore snipe bombs - NO ONE is expecting a Soulpriest to pop out and do 9 damage to one target (Justicar'd hero power + Flash Heal). It's truly wonderful.

I love love LOVE seeing old cards get new life with the introduction of new ones, and Soulpriest is it for priests right now.

I am running Kezan in my oil rogue. Its doing alot of work. Seems like every class that has them runs secrets right now, so you get value with Kezan in almost every match.

Noted. Agreed. I'm adding them in. I'm not seeing much of the dreaded Paladin Mysterious deck everyone else is running into (only once so far), but the threat of it, plus all the usual Mages/Hunters with secrets is enough to throw it back in.

Between Harrison and Kezan, the Paladin surge will SUFFER.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Why even call it "Murloc Paladin" when it only runs like one Murloc?
I've called it that just because I had no idea what to call it. My variation is a slow and grindy board control paladin that combines a low overall curve to go drop for drop against aggro decks and take board control and then utilizes murloc knight, justicar, and garrison commander to be able to endlessly pour more mana into the board so that it never, ever runs out of steam even on turn 20 with no reliable card draw.

I played it for 100 games and have no idea what the hell to call it and murloc knight is awesome therefore murloc knight paladin. (It's really Justicar/Quartermaster that makes the deck possible though)

Dahbomb

Because Frothing can't generally set up the win condition by itself most of the time.

That combo always existed in the game but it was never top tier until Grim Patron came into play.

Fact of the matter is that there was no consistentyway to A) Generate card advantage with Battle Rage B) Counter aggression and stall time until you got the Patrons. Grim Patron changed that. The card heavily counters aggression by just spawning more Patrons the more crap the other guy has on the board and more Patrons means more draws for Battle Rage.

In addition, the Patrons are an additional source of boosting the damage of the Frothings especially with when they are combined with Emperor Thaurissan.

But in general the meta naming is weird for a lot of decks. I especially hate all the various deck names for the Hunter lists... like who the hell are they trying to fool with that shit?

Magnus

On my list of feature requests now:

- More goddamned deckslots for all modes
- Searching for specific opponent types in Casual (filter by class at least)
- Exporting custom decklists in at least one kind of format (image, list, shareable on social, you name it)

On that note, this is the first time in an entire year that I've felt truly confident and happy about a decklist that I've made that I see no one else running, and has no real equivalent on Hearthpwn. What does it take to post a list there and share it? Can anyone do it?

slayn

needs to show more effort.

- Exporting custom decklists in at least one kind of format (image, list, shareable on social, you name it)

On that note, this is the first time in an entire year that I've felt truly confident and happy about a decklist that I've made that I see no one else running, and has no real equivalent on Hearthpwn. What does it take to post a list there and share it? Can anyone do it?
You just make your deck in their deck builder and hit save. You'll then be prompted to say some things about it if you want. you can use the [card]nameofcard[/card] if you want the fancy mouseover stuff. That's it.

Xanathus

Blizzard: So what you're saying is you want more cosmetic portraits and new packs to buy?

inky

Last 4 arena runs no Paladin, Mage or Druid offered. Drafted a Warlock yesterday and the only card over 6 I was offered was a Stormwind Champion which I obviously took. I only had a 5 drop too. Like playing Zoo with only 2 drops, no combos or finishers or decent spells. FML.

Meanwhile I played back to back 12 win Mages. One that UPed me 3 times, got 2 legendaries out of them of course, and one that caught up with duplicated Dalaran Aspirants, into double Arcane Missiles that pretty much wiped my board twice by themselves and I could never remove because everything was 2 cost minions on my side. He ended with like +10 spell damage after a while.

Arena has been weird to me these past couple of days.

Dahbomb

Too confusing for the average Hearthstone player. - Blizzard.

Tubie

I can't believe we're still only limited to 9 deckslots. Considering how this game has so many different ways to play each deck, and it kinda forces you to play multiple classes to complete the daily quests, I would assume adding more slots would be a priority for them right now.

Pooya

HDT is really good for that, any serious HS player probably should use it now as Blizzard either doesn't care or too slow to do anything.

embalm

Is anyone else seeing a bug with Ranked Stars?

When your opponent concedes you won't get the win streak bonus stars.

It happened to me multiple times at Rank 6, it made me want to flip a table multiple times. I can't continue testing it since I'm at Rank 4 now, but I thought I would share the information. I think it might be related to the new quick concedes.

Lumine

All I'm seeing on ladder is paladin. Ebola paladin, secret paladin, midrange paladin, control paladin, it was all paladin...
Yeah lots of Paladins I admit.
Honestly, the meta is really varied and exciting for me right now. But I'm not seeing a lot of what everyone else is. When most of you comment on the state of things in the game/the meta, are you generally only referring to like, Ranks 10-5 on the Ladder? My perspective is usually all the ranks between say 20 and all the way up to 8, and right now, it's just chaos. Fun fun chaos. Lots of different deck types. Not seeing any particular cancers recurring more frequently than others, honestly.
It was like that for me too the first few days. The last games I faced 3 Handlocks, 3 Face Hunters and 2 Grim Patron Warriors though. And I even moved to Casual to try out some decks!
The naming meta is weird.
It really is. Names like mid-range and control barely say anything about a deck and then there's eboladin? really? who the fuck came up with that? and who decided to run with it it?
Seriously, it's so damn frustrating!

Sifl

The paladin deck Amaz is using today is disgusting. Lethaling people in 4-6 turns.
Edit: Second I post this he made it to turn 7 vs Warrior, lol.

antipod

It's so, SO fun. No one really sees it coming. The sisters are unexpected new variables.

Played some more with my version. It's not far from yours except those legendaries but I have lost some games against agro (face hunter and mech mage) because it is too slow and it's almost impossible to protect the few minions you get to play.

But as you said, sometimes it works wonderfully and then it's damn fun.

Szadek

I made a resurrect/healing priest deck with Injured Kvaldir .Works pretty well against aggro decks so far.
Still need to test it more,though.

embalm

Here are some decks I'm seeing at rank 5 to 3. I've put in a good number of games the past few days, but take these impressions with a grain of salt as I'm just your average casual. I'm playing a Dragon Priest so the impressions are influenced by that.

Control Warrior... Holy shit is this deck good. There are two versions, the dragon version and a more standard one. They both are running Varian Wrynn for an incredible late game swing which just totally fucks your shit up if you aren't way ahead. They are also running Justicar Trueheart, which let's them armor up to unbeatable high health. The deck totally wrecks me every time I encounter it, but it's still pretty rare. My guess is that the entire decklist hasn't been published online and that it's a tough deck to play correctly. Most of the games I will get the warrior down to <10 health before the armor starts piling up and I can't recover.

Face Hunter... The deck disappeared early in the week, but it's back and really common. They can't deal with all of the taunts ran in Dragon Priest so I have a pretty good winrate against all hunters. The deck puts enough pressure on them that they have to use Kill Command to kill minions and once they do that the game becomes a race. I don't run any healing cards in my deck so the games are closer than if I were running any. I think face hunter made such a strong come back because the new Control Warrior is weaker to aggro and it's probably a free win.

Secret Paladin... The deck I listed a few days ago almost matches this new deck perfectly. If you can kill secret keeper before she gets huge and have a plan to handle the Mysterious Challenger and his 4 to 6 secrets then the deck is taken out easily. If you don't have a way to handle both of those things then you will lose. After those things trigger the deck runs out of steam quickly.

Flood Paladin... That new Murloc Knight is an asshole. This deck runs the Murloc, Justicar Trueheart, Knife Jugglers and just about anything else that can spawn Paladin Dudes. If a knife juggler comes down it has to die immediately, because he will throw 50 fucking knives if he isn't killed. Once Trueheart comes down you have to focus on face and kill the paladin quickly or you will just get out valued. Summoning two dudes is incredible and it makes all the cards that buff dudes even better. I've lost a lot of games to nothing but the Knife Juggler and a shitload of dudes. I really want to try this deck, it looks fun as hell.

Totem Shaman... This deck is really fun to play against and to play. It has all those new totem buffing cards and has turned Shaman into a real Mid-Range deck. It has a good enough curve to completely trash aggro and has enough burst to blow up control decks. It's probably the first real deck where you have to make the decision about how you are going to play(aggro vs control) by turn 5 and stick to that strategy. Placing is really important in this deck, it has flametongue totems and if you place your minions in the wrong spots it can cost you the game, so pay attention to where your opponent puts his stuff down, it might help reveal if ones in his hand. I highly recommend trying it out, it takes a few games to get the hang of though so stick with it. It's also pretty cheap to craft.

Ysera... Not a deck, but it feels like every deck except the most aggro ones are running Ysera. She is really slow, but the matches are taking 2 or 3 more turns than they used too. You have to have a way to silence or kill her immediately and if you don't then then you have to kill the opponent in the next 2 or 3 turns. The card is crazy good right now and if you don't have it, it's worth crafting. She has easily proven to be one of the best cards in the game this week both in my deck and in my opponents. She will only be played in a slower meta like this, but she has for the first time become the second best legendary in the game, above Sylvanus and behind Dr. Boom.

Dahbomb

The reason Control Warrior isn't as popular is because A) Grim Patorn is way better in the meta and B) Control Warrior still has some bad match ups that haven't really been improved by either Varian or Justicar.

Justicar isn't going to do shit against Hunters or Druids.... they are going to kill you before the extra Justicar armor value starts to make a difference.

Also it's not as easy for Control Warrior to keep up with all the token shenanigans going on unless you tech heavily against it. That means adding a couple of Whirlwind effects in the deck (like Revenge), double Brawl and Geddon. Even then that might not be enough.

I played Control Warrior in the rank 3-4 zone but just ran into the same issues then had to switch to Grim Patron to keep up.

Sure Control Warrior will easily beat Dragon Priest because CW has enough removals to deal with all the threats that Dragon Priest puts out (it's a more mid rangey deck) and the burst damage early on isn't high which means that playing Justicar on turn 6 isn't going to lose you insane tempo/board control. But against Druids and Hunters or other very aggressive decks... Justicar ends up being a dead card and you need your double Armorsmiths, weapons, removals and Brawls to hold off the aggression along with burst armor gains from Shield Maidens.

Dreadsteed is the type of card that can get stronger over time. Imagine if they introduced a card like Anima Golem but much harder to remove itself:
Dreadsteed is a perfect example of an open-ended combo card that can become really strong if the right card is printed. Even better than Anima Golem 2.0, just think of this card:

e1fd028f.png

Dudekiller + Knife Juggler + Dreadsteed wins the game on the spot.

Really, anything that reliably lets you sac the dreadsteed for value, plenty of these cards in Magic.

The reason Control Warrior isn't as popular because A) Grim Patorn is way better in the meta and B) Control Warrior still has some bad match ups that haven't really been improved by either Varian or Justicar.

C) Control Warrior costs a shitton of dust to make. I think that's part of it too.

daemissary

Last 4 arena runs no Paladin, Mage or Druid offered. Drafted a Warlock yesterday and the only card over 6 I was offered was a Stormwind Champion which I obviously took. I only had a 5 drop too. Like playing Zoo with only 2 drops, no combos or finishers or decent spells. FML.

Meanwhile I played back to back 12 win Mages. One that UPed me 3 times, got 2 legendaries out of them of course, and one that caught up with duplicated Dalaran Aspirants, into double Arcane Missiles that pretty much wiped my board twice by themselves and I could never remove because everything was 2 cost minions on my side. He ended with like +10 spell damage after a while.

Arena has been weird to me these past couple of days.

I'm seeing the same thing. Over the past 3 months before TGT, I averaged 7.8 wins per run in arena. These past 4 days, I'm averaging 4.3 wins.

I don't know what is going on, I don't think I'm valuing the TGT cards incorrectly but I am seeing a lot less of the original cards when I draft which makes sense since there is a larger pool to pull from. I've played 3 Mage runs and I've only been offered one Flamestrike, zero frostbolts, one fireball, one flamecannon and two water elementals cumulatively thoughout those 3 runs. I've had similar luck with the paladin power cards like consecrate, Truesilver and shielded minibot in my paladin runs although I wasn't tracking those.

It sucks because arena is my favorite mode and I've never bought the excuse that your opponent has better cards than you but this past week I feel like I'm playing against 10 win decks when I'm at 3 wins every time.

Dahbomb

People thought that Arena would slow down but early on tempo is more important than ever. That's because there's less chance of AOE clears and removal spells... it's even more minion focused than before (naturally as more minions are introduced than spells).

Having board advantage also allows your Inspire minions to get out of hand when you are even slightly ahead. There's a definite increased snowball factor in arena now. The games where I won, I won very easily when I was ahead but the games where I lost it felt like I never could regain board control.

Bane of Doom spawning Mal'Ganis is dumb. Like the RNG just decided to personally fuck make you it's bitch.

Also, baiting Shaman into hexing sludge belchers is the best.

Magnus

Is anyone else seeing a bug with Ranked Stars?

When your opponent concedes you won't get the win streak bonus stars.

It happened to me multiple times at Rank 6, it made me want to flip a table multiple times. I can't continue testing it since I'm at Rank 4 now, but I thought I would share the information. I think it might be related to the new quick concedes.

Yes!!

Are we actually earning the streak and it's not displaying properly? Or are we not even winning the streak. Can't tell. I've won too many in a row to still only be at 11 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom