• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

has there been any charged hammer discussion?

22331.png

seems bad, but im not positive
This card is already being used in Malygos Shaman.

What the nerf? I thought it was a sure thing?

It was never a sure thing. It was surer that they wouldn't nerf it than they would. They really don't nerf often or without very good reason.

If they do nerf it, the full refund is a sure thing though.

It's too late for a Dr. Boom nerf.
If a nerf was planned it would have happened before the expansion.
The doctors stays as he is.

I don't think that is necessarily true. They could still nerf it. Even UT wasn't nerfed til a month or two after GVG launched.

Dahbomb

Yeah Undertaker was nerfed a couple of months after GvG's release.

However, there not being any nerfs with the expansion release (like they did Gadgetan) tells me that they really are holding back on the nerfs overall.

More importantly though despite Blizzard introducing a few new 7 drop Legendaries (Chillmaw, Acidmaw, Paeltress and Eadric)... Dr Balanced's position as the #7 drop in the game remains uncontested.

Frenden

Banned
I'm sitting on a spare Dr. Boom and praying for a nerf. Free legendary!

I'd be cool with them limiting the potential damage of the boom bots to 1-2 (or 1-3 if you twisted my arm). 1-4 is sooo punitive.

Dahbomb

Judging by their last interview it still feels like they are keeping an eye on Patron Warrior in general. Considering it's still the best deck after the expansion's release (and really the only good counter to the Token shenanigans) that's probably their main target still.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

22331.png

Since reaching legend this season I've been tinkering with a dragon shaman deck that I run this in. It's been great in that deck because it's a control deck that can't utilize totems very well and the deck is really slow with a lot of healing so you do get to use the new hero power.

The deck itself isn't very good yet though (only have a 50% win rate at the moment) so I haven't wanted to post the list yet. Really though I consider it a tragedy that Justicar doesn't work with non-standard hero powers like this. If you get Jolt in play and then play Justicar you deserve something awesome.

Leezard

22331.png

I saw it played against me in a Malygos Shaman at rank 5-4. I had a bad starting hand so he got to start to use it before I had played any creatures, but he did get value from it.

He won the game, but it might have been variance.

Judging by their last interview it still feels like they are keeping an eye on Patron Warrior in general. Considering it's still the best deck after the expansion's release (and really the only good counter to the Token shenanigans) that's probably their main target still.

I think it will be nerfed. It is basically miracle rogue plus UTH/buzzard wrapped into a single deck. I literally won a match last night against patron warrior using paladin by not playing minions for like 5+ rounds straight. I would have lost if I played minions into his combo. I would have been OTK'd. Instead, his combo only did like 25 damage.

The deck is as problematic as miracle rogue (uninteractive) but as OP as the strongest version of UTH/buzzard (straight up too good) imo.

Dahbomb

If Patron gets nerfed, the meta is gonna go all sorts of crazy
If by crazy you mean that people are going to double down on face/aggro and token based decks as Patron is a direct counter to that.

Even with Patron on top people still don't shy away from using those types of decks... so with Patron gone those decks will be the best.

If by crazy you mean that people are going to double down on face/aggro and token based decks as Patron is a direct counter to that.

Even with Patron on top people still don't shy away from using those types of decks... so with Patron gone those decks will be the best.
Face will be the place for every class
Go fast or die

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not that impressed by mysterious challenger from what I've played against it. It's not exactly hard to get good lead by the time he plays it given how often he'll be making crappy plays with all those weak secrets taking up his hand, and with that lead it's pretty easy to clear out the secrets one by one.

Having certain cards get obscene value from synergies with the deck is not exactly new. You have to judge it based on the deck, and not the card, and as far as decks as a whole go, Mysterious Challenger decks just aren't that great in my opinion.

I have a feeling that patron warrior will be nerfed by changing berserker to only gain damage off friendly minion damage. I think that is in part one of the bigger issues. It is similar to UTH/buzzard in a way in that you really can't build a board since that just accelerates your own death by combo.

I also think reducing the berserker's hp to 3 could be pretty beneficial without breaking the deck. As well as battle rage cost increase or only gaining cards off minions (so usually 1 less card draw).

I kinda think they need to do more than 1 thing to reduce the deck's effectiveness too. Small nerfs to keep it still playable and hopefully competitive viable without being way too good.

tylerf

If they get a few secrets out early and gain good tempo before you can stop it then it becomes really tough once challenger comes out. If you have the board by that time then it's not very impactful.

slayn

I'm not that impressed by mysterious challenger from what I've played against it. It's not exactly hard to get good lead by the time he plays it given how often he'll be making crappy plays with all those weak secrets taking up his hand, and with that lead it's pretty easy to clear out the secrets one by one.

Having certain cards get obscene value from synergies with the deck is not exactly new. You have to judge it based on the deck, and not the card, and as far as decks as a whole go, Mysterious Challenger decks just aren't that great in my opinion.
This has been my experience as well. I think this mysterious challenger thing is just a fad that will die away after a while. It 'feels cool' because you get this massive power spike on turn 6 but over all the deck just looks weaker than any other paladin deck being played right now.

There's different variations on it like eboladin + MC and midrange + MC and it always just seems like bad eboladin and bad midrange paladin.

inky

I don't have a problem with Mysterious Challenger because I think it's a "too good" card, like Mad Scientist. I have a problem with it because secrets are bullshit in this game. Yea, they are supposed to be strong counter plays or anticipation tools, I get that, but only a few classes got them and there is not enough tech against them, and Blizzard doesn't seem to know how to approach that back and forth without making them either too good or irrelevant again.

Dahbomb

Secrets are the most fun to play around. It's pretty much the best way you can out play someone. It's like Traps from Yugioh which was also one of my favorites part of the game (the face down aspect of the game).

It's just no fun when they get free Secret summons from their decks. It loses that back and forth between the players.

slayn

Yeah I love the general concept of secrets and I used to really hope all classes would get secrets in later expansions but mad scientist ruined all that. Before scientist I wanted to see a class like shaman or something get even more expensive secrets. I wanted to see what a 5 mana secret would look like. And that can never, ever happen now.

Frenden

Banned
They remind me of Sense and Alter cards in Decipher's old Star Wars CCG. And Joust is basically drawing Destiny.

It makes me wonder if there are ex-Decipher dudes at Blizzard.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

22331.png

Was a huge help to a 10 win arena for me. Learned that you can hero power twice if you summon totem right before you trigger the deathrattle. It helped i had a few good heals to make each game go forever to insure I got the value that I needed from it.

In constructed, it's an extremely weak turn 4 to simply do 2 damage with a weapon, and the continual 2 damage each turn isn't really worth it, given how much of your own health you have to give up to make it meaningful. Then when you finally get your new hero power by turn 8, the hero power isn't that great by that point in the game, especially given what you had to go through to get it.

Dahbomb

Yeah Mad Scientist limits the design space for secrets.

For example they can't make 4-5 mana secrets for other classes because it would be too broken. Imagine Warlocks given 5 mana secrets... would break the game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a problem with Mysterious Challenger because I think it's a "too good" card, like Mad Scientist. I have a problem with it because secrets are bullshit in this game. Yea, they are supposed to be strong counter plays or anticipation tools, I get that, but only a few classes got them and there is not enough tech against them, and Blizzard doesn't seem to know how to approach that back and forth without making them either too good or irrelevant again.

With mage and hunter, Kazan Mystic is plenty good enough tech.

With paladin, playing around his secrets is pretty easy.

inky

With mage and hunter, Kazan Mystic is plenty good enough tech.

With paladin, playing around his secrets is pretty easy.

It's not "good enough" when it can counter itself. The 4 mana spot is also highly contested in almost every deck and it is a dead draw against 6 classes with its relatively poor stats. If you know the matchups you are facing enough it is "pretty easy" to play around anything, that's not really the point.

I'm not sure anyone who doesn't know how to play against secrets can make it out of rank 20. Everyone knows or can learn pretty easily. There could be more versatility to the mechanic to counter a turn 2 play from a mage that is worth 5 mana and tempo, that is what I'm saying.

CoolOff

Depends on the nerf. A slight hit in Frothings ability to OTK would still make Patron top tier in a token-meta.

clav

Blizzard finally nerfed grim patron warrior
PogChamp.png
They did it by introducing an even more cancerous deck into the meta, everyone forgot grim patron exist and now everyone is playing secret paladin
laugh.gif
. Seriously now Paladin has to be the winner of TGT overall, the cards paladin got completely changed the meta.

Time for Hunter with Flares.

I'd be happy with that, i only just got al'akir in a pack the other day. Still missing a lot of old school staples.

Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom