• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
Man I just love playing against Patron warrior.

Control the board, keep only 2 minions on my side the entire time, even get 6 armour through Armorsmith mirror entity.

He turtles endlessly through shield blocks, executes and armorsmiths.

Then I die to a 38 damage frothing combo with absolutely no way to stop it just because I can't kill him by the time he draws a million cards and drops emperor.

Such 'skill' required. Truly a deck for masterful players.

Remind me to not play Arena anytime soon. A mage with flamestrikes, two top decked polymorph boars and a polymorph into a Force Tank Max in the 1-2 bracket. My curve wasn't the best thing in the world (terrible 3 drops) but I didn't deserve this.

have fun playing stupid as shit secret paladin or patron warrior in ranked then

you really can't play anything around anything in arena so you just need to make the best plays you can each turn

Xanathus

Control the board, keep only 2 minions on my side the entire time, even get 6 armour through Armorsmith mirror entity.

Then I die to a 38 damage frothing combo with absolutely no way to stop it just because I can't kill him by the time he draws a million cards and drops emperor.

That's exactly the wrong way to play against Patron Warrior. You gave him all the time in the world to draw his combos and set up Emperor, Patron is a combo deck like Druid and most decks cannot outlast them. You can basically replace Patron Warrior with Druid or Freeze Mage and see how dumb it is. "He killed me because I couldn't kill him in time", Trump made the same mistake against Sjow in one of the ATLC matches which was used as an example of how Patron Warrior is "OP".

ViviOggi

PJSalt

Pooya

keep only 2 minions on my side the entire time

entire time?? why would you do that. You have to pressure them as much as you can and they will choose death before turn 6. Patron isn't hard to win against. The more time you waste, the more you help them.

You have to go all out in this match up forcing them to use things they'd rather keep and prevent them to battle rage. You have to do that smartly, protect your valuable minions, make it hard for them just to kill them with death's bite for example. I don't think I have lost to a patron OTK ever, if I lost to a patron warrior it wasn't because of OTK. Sounds like you were playing tempo mage which shouldn't have problem pressuring patron, you can even freeze them to prevent weapon use.

Keeping your side clear only makes sense if you're playing Control Warrior, for every other class you should go all in. It makes little difference if your side is empty to a patron warrior, they can fill it themselves, you just give them more time to gather parts to do just that. You just have to kill them fast.

mxgt

Banned
That's exactly the wrong way to play against Patron Warrior. You gave him all the time in the world to draw his combos and set up Emperor, Patron is a combo deck like Druid and most decks cannot outlast them. You can basically replace Patron Warrior with Druid or Freeze Mage and see how dumb it is. "He killed me because I couldn't kill him in time", Trump made the same mistake against Sjow in one of the ATLC matches which was used as an example of how Patron Warrior is "OP".

"All the time in the world", aka about 10 turns to draw almost his entire deck.

It really isn't easy to kill a patron warrior by turn 8+, you know.

Emperor is fucking dumb, the draw engine is fucking dumb and the amount of defence the deck has is fucking dumb for how consistent the OTK potential is.

I would honestly rather play against face hunter, eboladin and secretdin more than this bullshit deck.

mxgt

Banned
entire time?? why would you do that. You have to pressure them as much as you can and they will choose death before turn 6. Patron isn't hard to win against. The more time you waste, the more you help them.

You have to go all out in this match up forcing them to use things they'd rather keep and prevent them to battle rage. You have to do that smartly, protect your valuable minions, make it hard for them just to kill them with death's bite for example. I don't think I have lost to a patron OTK ever, if I lost to a patron warrior it wasn't because of OTK. Sounds like you were playing tempo mage which shouldn't have problem pressuring patron, you can even freeze them to prevent weapon use.

Keeping your side clear only makes sense if you're playing Control Warrior, for every other class you should go all in. It makes little difference if your side is empty to a patron warrior, they can fill it themselves, you just give them more time to gather parts to do just that. You just have to kill them fast.

How do I stop them from battle raging, exactly?

Say they have an acolyte on board, 1 charge left on DB and drop a patron turn 7+

Inner rage, hit, battle rage. 6 cards. ????

I wouldn't say that's too uncommon, how do I play around that?

I am asking for actual advice.

In a magical dream world I could spam minions and rush, but I find it doesn't work often. In fact the game before the one I complained about I played as many minions as I could but didn't draw well and still got hit by a 20 combo on turn 8 and didn't draw my aoe.

It's frustrating beyond belief to play against. When you know what's coming but realise you don't have the time or resources to stop it.

Ultrabum

Say they have an acolyte on board, 1 charge left on DB and drop a patron turn 7+

In a magical dream world I could spam minions and rush, but I find it doesn't work often. In fact the game before the one I complained about I played as many minions as I could but didn't draw well and still got hit by a 20 combo on turn 8 and didn't draw my aoe.

It's frustrating beyond belief to play against. When you know what's coming but realise you don't have the time or resources to stop it.

If you are looking for actual advice:

Play 20 games as patron warrior and record how you lose, then replicate that. Seriously.

mxgt

Banned
If you are looking for actual advice:

Play 20 games as patron warrior and record how you lose, then replicate that. Seriously.

I was looking to play interesting decks using new cards after the expansion.

Or maybe I'll just play CW with Trueheart again, that seems to work well.

Pooya

You can break their weapon before they can use it effectively, you can freeze face so that they have to cycle weapons for whirlwind, costing more mana and less combo possibilities. Water Ele wrecks patrons and forces those two executes, if they don't have it they lose.

they can't do the patron battle rage combo on turn 5, they can only create 4 patrons on turn 5 at best. a 5/1 a 3/2 two 3/3. You should be able to kill them if you have board.

Don't ping face on turn two. I see so many people do this when I was playing patron last season, it's bad for you more often than not, it sets easy early battle rage for two or three cards even.

If they can draw that many cards on turn 8, it is mostly because you played badly on earlier turns and didn't know it yet,

Playing mage? freeze face. Your deck has to have the tools to deal with patron, if you're plying whatever yeah it won't work.

in a magical dream world I could spam minions and rush, but I find it doesn't work often. In fact the game before the one I complained about I played as many minions as I could but didn't draw well and still got hit by a 20 combo on turn 8 and didn't draw my aoe.

if you don't draw aoe by turn 8, you lose to zoo too for example, or paladin or mech mage. Mage overall is a weak class right now, you can't deal with paladins either I'm guessing, you have very poor card draw. Tempo mage is a coin flip pretty much.

applies to freeze mage, face hunter, oil rogue. etc it's the game. Patron is just the newest until now, paladins are next on the hate list coming up this season. "You know MC is coming on turn 6 but you don't have the time or resources to stop it!"

"You know Dr. Boom is coming on turn 7, but you don't have the time or resources to stop it!"

edit: I agree, with Ultrabum the best way to get better against any deck is to try it, I have played like 200 games as patron last season and I have a lot better understanding of how to deal with them. Just knowing what they can do is not good enough, you should look at what they're doing and can predict what's in their handm, why they did what they just did and what they really can do in this specific match next turn. Just try it, you will see it's much harder to play than you're thinking right now. The difference between a good patron player and bad one is top legend rank and rank 13-15. It's constant decision making, since you don't exactly play with clear cut curves here, it's combo all the way. There are many possibilities, most lead to a bad quick loss even.

JesseZao

Got lucky from a completionist pov with my golden epic. Got a wee spellstopper. Just need one more and I have all gvg epics.

Got a cogmaster's wrench on my other account.

It was just a glitch. I tried to disenchant all of my copies and I got an error message when I tried.

Once I relogged, the extra copies were gone, without me getting extra dust.

Yeah me too, however I got to keep the second set of rewards I got at rank 18 and got sent to rank 24. I rebooted and got back to rank 17, but kept the golden commons I got. I know because I got a second golden Murloc Knight for my Paladin deck and I'm still rocking that.

I hope I get the rewards after the end of this season.

Dust Devil gotta be the worst card in the game, that golden one looks cool at least.

Nah on the rare games where you get to play it and the other guy can't immediately remove it you can do major damage. There had been tournament games won due to an unanswered dust devil followed by flame tongue.

G.ZZZ

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Every 60 seconds in Brazil, Germany scores a goal. Together we can stop this. Please spread the word ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bizazedo

Dreadsteed story.

I had a single Dreadsteed on board, opponent has two Druids of the Claw in charge mode (4/4) that he dropped last turn. I am at 12 life.

I have Rivendare, Knife Juggler, two Sac Pacts, and a Mortal Coil in hand.

I (misplayed order, I was going too fast / it was like 4 am) and dropped Rivendare, Knife Juggler, and attacked with Dread into one of the Druids. Sac Pact the Dread. 5 knives fly out, 2 hitting the wounded druid, one hitting the other druid, one face.

Mortal Coil the wounded druid, killing it, drawing a dark bomb. Dark bomb and kill remaining druid and sac pact a Dreadsteed again to go up to 22 life and let two more knives fly at the Druid.

Went from 12 to 22 HP, Druid could not come back.

Dreadsteed story.

I had a single Dreadsteed on board, opponent has two Druids of the Claw in charge mode (4/4) that he dropped last turn. I am at 12 life.

I have Rivendare, Knife Juggler, two Sac Pacts, and a Mortal Coil in hand.

I (misplayed order, I was going too fast / it was like 4 am) and dropped Rivendare, Knife Juggler, and attacked with Dread into one of the Druids. Sac Pact the Dread. 5 knives fly out, 2 hitting the wounded druid, one hitting the other druid, one face.

Mortal Coil the wounded druid, killing it, drawing a dark bomb. Dark bomb and kill remaining druid and sac pact a Dreadsteed again to go up to 22 life and let two more knives fly at the Druid.

Went from 12 to 22 HP, Druid could not come back.

He probably thought that silencing a 1/1 is not worth it. But if you think about it, if dreadsteed is indeed worthy of being called a 4 mana minion, then silencing it reduces its value to 0 mana - lol.

Bizazedo

He probably thought that silencing a 1/1 is not worth it. But if you think about it, if dreadsteed is indeed worthy of being called a 4 mana minion, then silencing it reduces its value to 0 mana - lol.

First Dreadlock I played against with Druid, I silenced both his dreadsteeds. Basically ended his game.

In other words, agreed :).

scoot3r

Well it's that time again, I have 1600 dust and don't know wether to craft varian ( have stuff for control war but don't play it ever) tyrion ( played a lot of pally last week but now it's everywhere!) or rhonin ( played some tempo and mech Mage before the xpac. What say you gaf???

blackflag

First Dreadlock I played against with Druid, I silenced both his dreadsteeds. Basically ended his game.

In other words, agreed :).

First Dreadlock I ever played was this morning vs my CW. I have no silences and couldn't really do anything. I ran out of cards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

When I play Dreadsteed against Shaman I cri evry tym.

That feel when 4 of your last 5 games are against gold heroes at Rank 20.

Both hunters I played had King Krush in their decks. Not even from Webspinner! I don't know, man. I wish I was better at this game so I could escape low rank hell.

Phawx

Both hunters I played had King Krush in their decks. Not even from Webspinner! I don't know, man. I wish I was better at this game so I could escape low rank hell.

Sometimes I'll be on a killer winning streak and then lose just as much as I won in a row.

Is there a website or spreedsheet that helps you manage your collection? It is really difficult to decide wich set of cards to buy, once you already have a good amount of cards.

I feel like I have a curse with rogue to draw all spells and almost 0 minions the entire game, regardless of how many minions and spells I have. I am running a rogue deck with 11 spells... and didn't draw a second of my 19 minions before turn 6-7 and the second minion was a thalnos...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there a website or spreedsheet that helps you manage your collection? It is really difficult to decide wich set of cards to buy, once you already have a good amount of cards.

Look for gutshot's spreadsheet in the OP.

the season just reset

so it's pretty whatever

now if it was like ~15-20 days in the month then yeah sure

and gold heroes is not indicative of skill, it just shows that you play a lot-nothing more

sibarraz

Banned
Could somebody explain me why secret paladin is totally hated?

I'm a rank 10 player, and with the reset I'm now 16, and everytime that I face Secret Paladin, I feel like I got a free win, when they play the secrets, most of the time they only had the mysterious challenger and at best a silver hand, and anytime I just don't care for all those secrets activating

Heck, I even won with a face hunter that was trading against him

Pooya

Really liking Solemn Vigil in my mid range paladin deck, Lay on Hands is just too slow I rarely could play it, I can consecrate and draw two cards for 0 mana, I take that and a healbot over Lay on Hands. It's a very good card against aggressive decks.

Really liking Solemn Vigil in my mid range paladin deck, Lay on Hands is just too slow I rarely could play it, I can consecrate and draw two cards for 0 mana, I take that and a healbot over Lay on Hands. It's a very good card against aggressive decks.

I've warmed up to solemn vigil in paladin because now I am running a control version that cut lay on hands and instead am running 2 heal bots and 1 tuskar jouster. The justicar + 2x musters pretty much ensure that at some point I'll get a really cheap solemn vigil to help reload my hand a bit. I haven't played it in a couple days and I am still iterating on it, but it feels stronger than an acolyte at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom