• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Spent so much on cards and I still haven't properly played a TCG deck...

Gonna give a Dreadlock deck a try, gonna have to do some crafting. Warrior decks are annoying me though, having a look through the top for the week on HearthPwn and it's all "Hey just stick these 7 legendaries you must have in the deck and win!"
I don't have that many damned legendaries :mad:

Pooya

just reading this https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3j9qra/ben_brode_qa_summary_off_angry_chicken_100/

RNG cards are fun to see but they seem to hurt the competitive scene. How do you balance good RNG (Thoughsteal/Knife Juggler/Bomb Lobber) versus bad RNG (Crackle)? What is your answer from the design perspective?

A: Increasing the randomness can increase the skill. Crackle isn't as obviously manipulable as Knife Juggler but the question remains when do I play it and do I risk playing it on something with more then 3 health? Do I have a backup if it doesn't work out? I think it represents intense skill and just feels bad when you lose. We can make it feel better or worse but I think it adds additional skill to the game.

Of all RNG cards to ask about, you ask those? no esportal??

I actually agree that Juggler demands some skill to maximize the benefits. Similar for boom bots, you can control it to a degree and most players on ladder are pretty bad at this.

Rogue seems locked to one archetype and some cards don't really help it. Anything to say on Anub'araks behalf

A: You play Anub'arak and you keep playing him till you win. [insert laugh]

damn, they knew rogue is a joke in this set.

Lyng

Dammit!

Still trying to find a use for Cutpurse!
Just so hard to keep him alive!

Problem with him and many cards of the set actually, is that they have needed to make them unplayable in order for them to not be broken.

Wish they would do the same to Mad Scientist which is a broken card.

I love ladder reset because I love climbing with decks like Dreadsteed and other goofy ass shit

I also sometimes just play super anti aggro decks because fuck that noise. I made a Druid deck that basically can't lose to Face Hunter or Eboladin but is awful vs. everything else.

Ikael

Why are there so many paladins since GT's launch?
Were there any specific cards that make paladins stronger?

It is more a question of Paladins being more rounded up and versatile than "better" per se. For example, Warrior's Grim Patron is effective as fuck, but you would be hard pressed to find another equally effective style with that class.

Paladins, however, have an ample set of strategies at his disposal: Eboladin, secret paladin, mech paladin... in short, it can adapt itself to lots of styles, so it is damn fun to play with. The only class that comes close to have that type of versality is Mage.

And now, there are classes that not only are pidgeonholed into one single gameplay style, but are just basura caliente right now, like Roge or Hunter.

Magnus

Dragon Priests, throw a Confuse into your deck. Seriously. They'll NEVER see it coming. Lots of high health/low attack minions in this deck that become a serious, sudden threat out of nowhere. It's won me at least half of my games with an otherwise standard DP deck.

Haunted

Dragon Priests, throw a Confuse into your deck. Seriously. They'll NEVER see it coming. Lots of high health/low attack minions in this deck that become a serious, sudden threat out of nowhere. It's won me at least half of my games with an otherwise standard DP deck.
I might try this, I was looking for a way to get more TGT cards in there.

What'd you swap out for it?

edit: actually looking at my DP deck list, there aren't that many minions that would benefit in mine. Ysera, Twilight Guardians... might make Rend Blackhand better by giving him some health though. :lol

Looks like play testing his arena draft to me, not a good idea to do that on ladder though...
why did I never think of doing that

Could I see your deck list? I've been messing around with Dragon priest as well but I'm not sure if I want to go full Dragon or keep in 2 Cabals and maybe a lightbomb.

Plus I don't have a Chillmaw so I just replaced it with a boom.

br3wnor

Never bought Blackrock, is it worth saving up for the first wing? Emperor seems a must in alot of decks im missing out on.

Unless you want to play a dragon deck or grim patron, first wing is the only "must have". I spent 2 months unlocking all the wings through dailies gold and was really disappointed in the end result. Basically only use Emperor. (If you're using real money it's probably worth it just to have all the cards, I'm talking strictly from a dailies gold grind)

It is more a question of Paladins being more rounded up and versatile than "better" per se. For example, Warrior's Grim Patron is effective as fuck, but you would be hard pressed to find another equally effective style with that class.
Control Warrior is still fine right now. Still has the best Patron matchup too.

And now, there are classes that not only are pidgeonholed into one single gameplay style, but are just basura caliente right now, like Roge or Hunter.

Hunter is absolutely not trash right now

Heropon

It's really strange being a hunter in a match vs a paladin, having the least aggressive deck and winning by controlling the board while the opponent goes face all the day.

Paladin was supposed to be the honorable class.

Leezard

It's really strange being a hunter in a match vs a paladin, having the least aggressive deck and winning by controlling the board while the opponent goes face all the day.

Paladin was supposed to be the honorable class.

Paladin was the laughingstock for too long, now they are corrupted.

Coketruck

75% win rate (15-5) with the new rogue list on day one of the ladder. #feelsgoodman

The last list I put up I changed one thing, cut burgle for dr. boom. It's honestly only a small improvement but I think dr. boom just performs on average better.

I really like buccanneer. If you think about it, every time you hero power you're getting an extra 2 damage out of him. So 1 proc and he is better value than leper gnome because you direct that damage. 2 procs and he is way better than leper gnome. Combining with a autobarber or deadly poison... the power of that all really stacks up.

Also undercity valiant feels as good as I thought he might be. I won a match off him against a paladin who had a back to back minibot. He probably thought he was jumping ahead on board but being able to ping it with the valiant combo, plus using my already buffed weapon from buccanneer got a clean kill on minibot.

I made a handful of mistakes tonight. It has been ages since I've played a tempo based rogue. And figuring out mulligans in a new set is in itself a challenge even with a deck you are familiar with. And despite all that, getting a 15-5 record on day one of the new season makes the deck promising imo.

I kind of wrote off playing Rogue because I don't like the Oil Rogue deck, but I decided to give this a shot. It's really fun and pretty effective.

Ikael

Another thing that I would like to see Blizzard doing is to re-balance some of the starter cards. I understand why there are stronger and weaker cards in particular editions / card sets, but having good, balanced starting cards is vital in order to introduce people into the game
I still can't believe how they nerfed vulture into oblivion

Hunter is absolutely not trash right now

True dat, I got too hyperbolic. Still, that's a pidgeonholed class if I ever saw one, along with Druid. They need more options, I think. And Rogue / Shaman need outright buffs

Phawx

its hard to find more value in any minion in the game. dr. boom outclassed.

Yea, I added Sylvannas to my Dragon Priest and I'm still finding it hard to counter. Plus I have a holy nova waiting at turn 5 when they inevitably Muster for Battle so I'm not looking at a board of 2/2 with Mysterio.

In other news, I went from Rank 19 to Rank 13 without losing with Dragon Priest and then I lost to face hunter. :(

Nah, paladin secrets are crap

Yes, but when they use all of their secrets at once, the only viable option is soft removal which not every class can do.

Just got my ass kicked by a totem shaman with the most ridiculous luck. He played tuskar totemic and got a flame tongue totem. He then dropped 2 more flame tongue totems immediately after. Meanwhile I have no way to deal with his damned flame tongues despite having 4 weapons in my deck, because they never showed up. And it just snowed balled for him there into value town due to the triple flame tongue. God damn I hate the RNG in this game so much some times.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think part of the problem too is that Kezan only flips 1 secret. So if a Paladin drops this crazy shit on you Kezan barely minimizes the damage.

gutshot

I have 3200 dust but have no idea what legendaries I should craft. It seems that none of the TGT legendaries are as must-have as Dr. Boom was. Varian Wrynn is cool, but isn't necessary to play CW. Same with Trueheart.

What else might be worth crafting? Gormok? The Twins? Chillmaw?

Phawx

Whats that?

There is an old bug that has never been fixed that required a lot of cards previously, but now that you can joust for 1 mana, at turn 10 you can stop you opponent from attacking.

There is a 15 second timer. But because the joust animation takes like 7 to 8 seconds, that time during the animation is actually on your turn. So when the animation finishes and the client finally gives you control, the server only sees you having like 3 seconds to make a choice.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love Darnassus Aspirant.

Went against a hunter and had both in my opening hand. He used glaivezooka and a webspinner on the first one, on the second he rolled huffer and actually TRADED into it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Do you have Mysterious Challenger? I think that's only 400 dust for the epic.

Do you have all of the previous legendaries?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have 3200 dust but have no idea what legendaries I should craft. It seems that none of the TGT legendaries are as must-have as Dr. Boom was. Varian Wrynn is cool, but isn't necessary to play CW. Same with Trueheart.

I crafted Gormack on day one but have been disappointed in the results. Too much of a win more card.

Justicar Trueheart is probably the best legendary in this collection, and works fantastically with control warrior.

I think the jury is still out on Varian Wynn, Rhonin, Mistcaller, Fjola Sisters, and Chillmaw. Nothing else seems good at this time.

br3wnor

If you play CW a lot, Trueheart is really really really good.

gutshot

Do you have Mysterious Challenger? I think that's only 400 dust for the epic.

Do you have all of the previous legendaries?

I don't. I'm leaning towards just crafting some of the good epics like Challenger and Twilight Guardian instead of getting a couple mediocre legendaries.

I am still missing some good Classic legendaries like Ysera and Alexstraza. Maybe just crafting them would be better.

I crafted Gormack on day one but have been disappointed in the results. Too much of a win more card.

Justicar Trueheart is probably the best legendary in this collection, and works fantastically with control warrior.

I think the jury is still out on Varian Wynn, Rhonin, Mistcaller, Fjola Sisters, and Chillmaw. Nothing else seems good at this time.

Thanks for the thoughts on Gormok. Yeah, Trueheart seems to be the best and most flexible TGT legendary. Can go in Control Warrior and Paladin and potentially Priest too.

I picked up Gormok in my 50 packs, the card is ok but it's too inconsistent given how many board clears people are packing nowadays. Even if you have the typical zooish/token deck, you still need to have him at the time in which the board is full, and given that the 4 damage to the face isn't that important, you're not focusing on board control instead of just going face. It's internally inconsistent. It's better to just, stick two more death rattle minions on the board and SMOrc

I've got a similar question here. I've got about 4k dust. The only "must have" legendaries I've opened are Alex and Dr. Boom. Are there any epics/legendaries such as DR. Boom that fit in just about any deck that I should craft, or should I find a deck type I like and focus in on that?

Minsc

Gold Member
Tough day at arena today.

Two loses in a row to god drafts (turn 1 chows/legendaries like slyvannas/perfect curve), then close out to what should be a 10+ win run at 3-3 to a warlock that had an answer for everything just when it was needed (power overwhelming, shadow bolt, silence), and had that damn 4/4 inspire +2/+2 minion.

That thing is sick, basically 8/8 when it attacks next turn, and if you don't have 6 damage to remove it, you probably lost. Perhaps the best card in Arena now (and I never seem to get them).

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!

Taking my mystery/silver hand regent/competitive spirit/mukla champion/enter the arena deck to the top. Too many strats to stop.

Ladekabel

Tried the new brawl. Only thing special is 2 Mana instead of 1 every turn. Won my first game, got my pack and leave it for the rest of the time.

But I'm feeling lucky with packs today. Bought a TGT pack in the morning and got an epic (Shadowfiend) plus a golden Spellslinger and in the Brawl pack was another epic (Force of Nature) and 2 rares (Bite and a golden Secretkeeper).

Dre

Interesting Brawl today (first 1 mana then 3, then 5 etc.), put an OTK Malygos Mage deck together and won on my first try. Unfortunately my pack was trash.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up Gormok in my 50 packs, the card is ok but it's too inconsistent given how many board clears people are packing nowadays. Even if you have the typical zooish/token deck, you still need to have him at the time in which the board is full, and given that the 4 damage to the face isn't that important, you're not focusing on board control instead of just going face. It's internally inconsistent. It's better to just, stick two more death rattle minions on the board and SMOrc

Even the most agro decks often use single time damage cards like spells and weapons to protect their repeated damage on board. Nothing wrong with Gormack being used to attack a minion instead of face.

The bigger problem is that if you somehow have 5 minions on board with at least one of those minions being 4 mana, you're probably in a pretty good shape or in a pretty bad shape against a good AOE. If you had a board with 4 minions and played a Piloted Shredder, then you'd still have an amazing lead, or be a little better off against a AOE.

Finalow

Tough day at arena today.
That thing is sick, basically 8/8 when it attacks next turn, and if you don't have 6 damage to remove it, you probably lost. Perhaps the best card in Arena now (and I never seem to get them).
Kvaldir Raider, yep, I was complaining about that a couple of pages ago.

Santiako

This brawl is awful. Whoever starts is 2 mana ahead the whole game. At least I got to try Paletress and it gave me an easy win.

Finalow

zombie chow on my board, 3 - 2 on the other side. I drop mad bomber, mad bomber kills my zombie chow. I saw where this was going uh.

went from 5 - 1 to 5 - 3 in 10 minutes because LOL retarded decks are fun to play against. reminder to never fucking touch arena again at this hour on US servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom