• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
eZl3ZLO.jpg

8TRbWHM.gif
8TRbWHM.gif
8TRbWHM.gif

Opiate

I ran into a few Mysterious Challenger Paladins yesterday, so I switched over to Midrange Hunter with double Flares. I immediately queue into a Freeze Mage. I built up a board, and after he dropped Antonidas and hit me with the initial round of Fireballs thinking he's safe for two turns with his secrets up, I wiped his secrets with Flare and hit for lethal. All the secrets counters out right now and the Control Warriors with Justicar have to make Freeze Mage damn near unplayable right now.

Freeze Mage will be back. It's a hard counter to certain meta states, and that's good.

I have no idea why people hate Freeze Mage so much. It's not easy to play well, and it's important that some deck like Freeze Mage exists, because you always want counter decks to certain meta states. It's a way of keeping the meta honest; you want deck archetypes that exist to punish people for playing flavor of the month, whether that flavor be zoo type swarm decks or super late game control decks or anything else in between.

Opiate

It's a bit unbelievable to me that Shamans are still tier 4 class despite getting so many amazing cards this expansion. Hell even Priests are hovering in tier 2 status right now.

Maybe the right combination of cards hasn't been made for Shaman yet.

I would put the "Blame" for that on Secret Paladin. It wrecks the new Shaman decks, in my experience.

I think Totem Shaman is fine, in the same way Freeze Mage is fine -- Freeze Mage totally stinks in a meta where Control Warrior is the number 1 deck on the ladder, but is excellent when the meta shifts in a different direction.

I'm not convinced yet at all that Shaman is dead, but if it is, it's because as good as the Shaman cards are in TGT, secret Paladin is better, it hard counters Shaman, and it happens to be all over the ladder right now.

Dahbomb

Oh alright. I guess I generally get lucky on the second turn and quickly kill it off with that mage spell (forgot the name).

Another question, if I have more than 2 of any card, should I just turn it into dust? There's no reason to have 3+ of a card is there?
Think about this. If you are using a 2 mana Mage spell to kill a 1 mana creature then that means they got value out of their Zombie Chow as they traded up with it (1 mana card for a 2 mana card) on top of that if you used Frostbolt/Flamecannon to kill Chow on turn 2 then on their turn they have board advantage as they can play a 2 drop while you have nothing on the board and have to react to it.

And yeah dust your spares.

It's a bit unbelievable to me that Shamans are still tier 4 class despite getting so many amazing cards this expansion. Hell even Priests are hovering in tier 2 status right now.

Maybe the right combination of cards hasn't been made for Shaman yet.

I think some of those new cards didn't really pan out as well as people expected. Totem Golem is a really strong play on turn 2, but it messes up your turn 3, which loses you a lot of the tempo that it created. Tuskar Totemic is pretty bad unless he pulls Totem Golem. Manatide is pretty good too, but everything else is pretty much crap. And it really sucks that you can't play Totem Golem followed by Tuskar without the coin. Totem Carver is pretty much just a more specific Frostwolf Warlord, which nobody plays. I think Frostwolf Warlord might even be better in Shaman because it synergizes with Haunted Creeper and Feral Spirit. Thunder Bluff Valiant is strong, but you have to be winning already for it to really do anything. If you're behind, it's just a 3/6 for 5. The Mistcaller wowed a lot of people when it was revealed, but it's really slow. It takes a long time to pay off and creates an immediate loss in tempo.

Shaman just has a crappy set of favorable matchups.

If the meta is ever dominated by Druids, control Warriors and Handlocks then maybe Shaman can be a factor again.

Being demolished by Paladin and Priest and Patron being favorable against Shaman doesn't help matters. Not to mention Shaman still isn't great against Hunter either.

Opiate

Shaman just has a crappy set of favorable matchups.

If the meta is ever dominated by Druids, control Warriors and Handlocks then maybe Shaman can be a factor again.

Being demolished by Paladin and Priest and Patron being favorable against Shaman doesn't help matters.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. I think there are a host of decent/fine decks out there that simply cycle in and out of the meta depending on what's happening.

Some decks have favorable matchups against control warrior, but not against patron. Or they're good against Zoo lock but not against handlock, and so forth. So, depending on the meta, they cycle over time between a tier 3 or tier 2 deck. Still, it would be good for Shaman to one day have one of those tier 1 decks -- that is, they are so good that they define the meta, rather than be a reaction to it. It's been a long time since either priest or shaman has had one of those decks.

Think about this. If you are using a 2 mana Mage spell to kill a 1 mana creature then that means they got value out of their Zombie Chow as they traded up with it (1 mana card for a 2 mana card) on top of that if you used Frostbolt/Flamecannon to kill Chow on turn 2 then on their turn they have board advantage as they can play a 2 drop while you have nothing on the board and have to react to it.

And yeah dust your spares.
Yeah that's true and it's exactly what I was thinking after I posted. There's been several times when I've used a spell early on only to wish I had it later.

I really like Mage but I wanna build a decent deck with every class and I'm having a shitload of trouble with Druid. I guess I've been spoiled by the "bail me out" cards that the Mage has (flamestrike and polymorph), that I'm struggling hard with the Druid. Does he have anything like that?

Santiako

Oh alright. I guess I generally get lucky on the second turn and quickly kill it off with that mage spell (forgot the name).

Another question, if I have more than 2 of any card, should I just turn it into dust? There's no reason to have 3+ of a card is there?

Yeah, that's what the mass disenchant button is for, it disenchants all your third+ copies of your cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's because every time they try a new Shaman thing it doesn't mesh with the old thing.

Expert Set: Overload Shaman
GvG: Mech Shaman
TGT: Totem Shaman

Like, where's the overlap? Earth Shock. Rockbiter. Flametongue Totem. Hex. Fire Elemental. But these are just random tools. You can't make a deck out of random tools unless they're really good random tools (they're not).

Every other class established an identity early on and are always just waiting for new stuff to make these identities viable again. Or, like Mech Mage, they got a new identity that pushed hard during one of the subthemes. Or, like Patron/Miracle, some sleeper combo was discovered or the missing piece was created.

Shaman gets none of that. They get their identity halfheatedly reinvented with every major set and then forgotten by the next one.

inky

You forgot half assed Murloc Shaman. Biggest troll after that was to make a really strong Murloc, then it give it to Paladin, lol.

Dahbomb

Yeah that's true and it's exactly what I was thinking after I posted. There's been several times when I've used a spell early on only to wish I had it later.

I really like Mage but I wanna build a decent deck with every class and I'm having a shitload of trouble with Druid. I guess I've been spoiled by the "bail me out" cards that the Mage has (flamestrike and polymorph), that I'm struggling hard with the Druid. Does he have anything like that?
Not really but that's the point, it's a different class. Druid specializes in something called Ramp plays as well as choose mechanic. Ramp allows Druids to play cards earlier than normal. You have probably seen it already, they can play a 4 drop on turn 1 with Innervate which is extremely powerful. Wild Growth accelerates their mana curve allowing them to play big creatures earlier. The problem is that while they can gain huge tempo swing early on with their ramp plays, it's hard for them to regain lost tempo because their board clears aren't as good (they have Swipe, Starfall but nothing like Flamestrike) and their removals aren't great (Mulch is probably the best to be honest).

Choose mechanic gives Druids flexibility in their plays. Keeper of the Groves, Ancient of Lore, Druid of the Claw, Living Roots, Wrath etc. That's also something they have over Mages.

Haly

You forgot half assed Murloc Shaman. Biggest troll after that was to make a really strong Murloc, then it give it to Paladin, lol.

Oh Jesus I forgot Neptulon.

What a kick in the nuts that must've been for Shaman players.

clav

My first Golden Hero!

It's taken what, six months? Does this mean I'm officially not a noob any more?

You stuck with the default character.

Go play a different class and then yes.

Leveling up a F2P paladin prior to TGT was very brutal.

Neptulon is now much stronger thanks to that super strong Paladin card

A random chance at pulling a really strong card isn't as good as building a deck with a really strong card in it. And I think Paladins still got the better deal, because Siltfin Spiritwalker is absolutely terrible to play from hand, but it's amazing to pull it for free from Murloc Knight.

Haly

Here's how they could make Neptulon worthwhile.

Neptulon
Battlecry: Put up to 4 Murlocs from your deck onto the battlefield.
Overload (3)
7/7

I think I really nailed the design of this card. Hire me, Blizzard.

Dahbomb

Neptulon
Overload (3)
7/7

Might as well rename it to Balanculon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neptulon really isn't that terrible. You essentially just use it late game to refill your hand with somewhat subpar cards while putting a decent sized threat on the board, but that's often enough.

Obviously playing it on Turn 7 tends to be awful.

Fireblend

Banned
Guys be honest, should I just stop playing?

I was at 30 life, that's just the last fireball. There's a 11/1 Mana Wyrm to the left, obscured by the card.
Fuck everything. I'm taking a week-long break at least.

clav

Neptulon
Overload (3)
7/7

Or put 4 Murloc Knights onto the board.

Then you can truly witness the power of pure water.

Haunted

Actually playing charge in my control warrior in desperate search for a finisher.

poverty gaming

Another replacement for Grommash I've seen was Arcane Golem + Faceless, might give that a shot.

Since we are talking about Neptulon, what do people think about Al'Akir? I run him in my Totem deck but he just seems like a worse version of Grom. He also has taunt for seemingly no reason.

Haunted

Neptulon
Overload (3)
7/7

That's much too strong, you should nerf the stats to a 6/7.

Since we are talking about Neptulon, what do people think about Al'Akir? I run him in my Totem deck but he just seems like a worse version of Grom. He also has taunt for seemingly no reason.
It's a strong combo with Rockbiter.

I think they just wanted to put every available mechanic in the game (at the time) on him. iirc the lore reason given was that he's got an inferiority complex and is always compensating or something. :lol

so obviously we're just waiting for the inevitable buff with deathrattle, joust and inspire mechanics on him

Phawx

His value is supposed to come from reincarnate, rockbiter and flametongue

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The ideal situation is dropping Rockbiter axes on him, but he can also be used to clear if you need to.

He's not astonishing, but Shaman does have a variety of ways to buff his damage up, and you can drop him if you need to save yourself without them.

Like Neptulon, he's emblematic of Shaman's jack of all trades, master of none status.

Haly

Shaman is even the jack of all trades, master of none at being jack of all trades.

Druid is much better.

Ancient of Lore > Neptulon
Force + Roar > Al'akir +Rockbiter

Yeah, that's what the mass disenchant button is for, it disenchants all your third+ copies of your cards.
Oh ok cool. Didn't know that.
Not really but that's the point, it's a different class. Druid specializes in something called Ramp plays as well as choose mechanic. Ramp allows Druids to play cards earlier than normal. You have probably seen it already, they can play a 4 drop on turn 1 with Innervate which is extremely powerful. Wild Growth accelerates their mana curve allowing them to play big creatures earlier. The problem is that while they can gain huge tempo swing early on with their ramp plays, it's hard for them to regain lost tempo because their board clears aren't as good (they have Swipe, Starfall but nothing like Flamestrike) and their removals aren't great (Mulch is probably the best to be honest).

Choose mechanic gives Druids flexibility in their plays. Keeper of the Groves, Ancient of Lore, Druid of the Claw, Living Roots, Wrath etc. That's also something they have over Mages.
Yeah it was funny putting an Ironbark Protector out on like turn 4 or something...until I got polymorphed on their turn :(

Then I'm like "oh, so that's how it feels..."

I'm a bit of a Heathstone noob, my only previous experience was the "3 wins for a Hearthsteed" cross promo thingy, but I've been dabbling a bit more with it recently as I've grown a bit bored with WoW.

Is it a game newcomers can get into with out feling like they're on a hiding to nothing? I've played mostly with the Paladin deck, and I've won a couple (lost far more, which I totally expect to happen as I pay my dues) but the last game I played I got ROFLstomped by a Rusian who after turn 4 was playing legendary card after legendary card.

I haven't got the gold to play Arena, and I don't fancy dropping real money on the game until I'm more familar with way it plays, so I'm stuck playing with people who have their own cards. Is it safe to assume everyone elses deck is the metaphorical footlong, while I'm stuck with a one-inch punch? Or can late comers still get into the game?

ViviOggi

Yeah it was funny putting an Ironbark Protector out on like turn 4 or something...until I got polymorphed on their turn :(

Then I'm like "oh, so that's how it feels..."
That's pretty mild tbh, 4 mana play and you get to keep a sheep

BGH there would have given them a 3-for-1 AND board control

That's why Druid's preferred early Innervate plays are Shade on 1, Shredder on 2 or Druid of the Claw on 3. You use only two cards for a tempo boost that's still huge but much harder to answer than a BGH target.

Later on you'll also realize that no one runs Polymorph outside of the trench. Too slow against real decks.

Since we are talking about Neptulon, what do people think about Al'Akir?

He just costs too much and while great with other cards you often need to use those other cards just to maintain board control in an era of infinitely sticky creatures. I think he's a big dumb derpy card that doesn't do nearly enough for eight mana in the kind of super grindy games that shaman decks find themselves in.

edit: Neptulon feels great in the midrange shaman lists though. You get a decent chance of snagging a Murloc Knight now and the extra gas means that you can continue to grind out games, which is literally the only thing shaman is good at.

hwateber

I'm a bit of a Heathstone noob, my only previous experience was the "3 wins for a Hearthsteed" cross promo thingy, but I've been dabbling a bit more with it recently as I've grown a bit bored with WoW.

Is it a game newcomers can get into with out feling like they're on a hiding to nothing? I've played mostly with the Paladin deck, and I've won a couple (lost far more, which I totally expect to happen as I pay my dues) but the last game I played I got ROFLstomped by a Rusian who after turn 4 was playing legendary card after legendary card.

I haven't got the gold to play Arena, and I don't fancy dropping real money on the game until I'm more familar with way it plays, so I'm stuck playing with people who have their own cards. Is it safe to assume everyone elses deck is the metaphorical footlong, while I'm stuck with a one-inch punch? Or can late comers still get into the game?

Try to get the easy starting gold by getting all your heroes to level 10 and also beating every class's expert deck. This should help you get familiar while also building up gold. You can also get 10 gold per 3 wins in Play mode which should also help you learn the ropes. Just play ranked for these, you can't lose stars until you pass rank 20 anyway so just use it as a learning experience. Play arena once you're comfortable with the mechanics since it's a pretty big gold sink and you don't want to be dropping 150 gold to go 0-3

Dahbomb

So uh...

How's that Polymorph: Boar working out?
Fine I guess? Haven't seen any Tempo Mage lists lately. Still see that card online being used and it does work. Most pro players still prefer Freeze Mage if they want to play Mage in a tournament.

I think Spellslinger has been seeing quite a bit of use as well which is unfortunate because it is yet another RNG card being thrown in the mix for Tempo Mage along with Effigy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fine I guess? Haven't seen any Tempo Mage lists lately. Still see that card online being used and it does work.

I've run into a fair number of tempo mages and I haven't seen it used since the first week.

Duster

Ranked is awful at the moment even with better cards, it should ease up as the month goes on though.

However the Tavern Brawl mode should help you and it opens tomorrow if you have a hero at rank 20, some weeks they give you pre-made/random decks which in theory gives everybody the same chance, it's good for quests (and learning) and at the moment you get free pack from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom