• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Honestly its the combination of the deck thinning and divine favor that makes it really messed up. If they play Dr 6 and then follow with its an instant win. Also makes me rage when I'm playing patron and their secrets take forever to proc.

It's just insane they thought this was ok. No other card does this much, while still having playable vanilla stats. Draws 5 cards, and gives you 5 mana as a battlecry with practically no stat penalty? It's absolutely nuts, and makes Dr Boom seem balanced. Should have at least been their legendary, but they can run 2 of them? Ugh. And the good vanilla stats make drawing the 2nd one not even that bad.

caesar

Banned
It wouldn't be half as good if it was legendary though, it would just be a gimmick card. Though yeh its insane, at first I thought the card was too slow but the fact is pallies can quite easily stall the board state or push tempo until then. Then on turn they play a 6/6 for 6 which draws 5 cards and puts them into play.

zoukka

It's just insane they thought this was ok. No other card does this much, while still having playable vanilla stats. Draws 5 cards, and gives you 5 mana as a battlecry with practically no stat penalty?

It draws 5 cards IF you have one of each secret left in your deck and IF you play 5 different (shitty) secret cards in your deck.

Card is very powerful, but also very limited. Secret paladin can draw some shitty hands and can't really win if they don't draw MC.

This is why I never seem to be that bothered by Mysterious Challenger. I mean I do occasionally lose to it but Dragon Priest just crushes it so hard. This guy had an absolutely sick draw, too- double Secret Keeper + 3 secrets in the first couple of turns, one of which was competitive Spirit.

EdbDKxa.jpg

I could have used the Lightbomb to clear a 5/5 Secretkeeper and a 4/3 buffed paladin dork but I decided to use Blackwing Corrupter on the 4/3 instead and play a Twilight Whelp. He had a secret on board that was very probably Noble Sacrifice, so the Whelp lets the Corrupter trade with the Secretkeeper. This paid off a ton when he played Mysterious Challenger next turn. And after that the sequence is almost always the same:

1) attack, proc Noble Sac, proc Redemption (wastes it completely), proc Avenge.
2) Lightbomb. (or SW:D on the Challenger)

Game ended soon after this.

The only infuriating thing is if you have a strong hand when you do this and they follow up with Divine Favor, it's like you got punished for smashing their board efficiently. In this case I only had 3 cards left so it didn't amount to that much.

johnsmith

remember me
Gah, posted as I was coming to edit my post lol

But seriously, there's too many variations right now to give a straight deck list. Some are running the wild pyro package, some aren't. Some are running blackwing tech, some are running dark cultist. Some pack a lot of high end dragons, while others run more midrange with maybe only 1 or 2 big bombs.

But seriously, there's too many variations right now to give a straight deck list. Some are running the wild pyro package, some aren't. Some are running blackwing tech, some are running dark cultist. Some pack a lot of high end dragons, while others run more midrange with maybe only 1 or 2 big bombs.

Yea, I just looked up an example that had a ton of legendaries that I don't have

Lyng

We need more hunters on ladder because fuck secret paladins. Dr 6 is so fucking broken. Whoever approved that card is a fucking moron. Like if you're even on board it's an automatic loss if they play it. The only way to deal with it is to be massively ahead on board, or have a flare in hand.

So you are saying the cure for cancer is cancer?

I do agree though that Dr. 6 is bonkers.

My biggest wish is actually just that blizzard changes the ladder system so we dont get punished so hard for playing control decks.

My biggest wish is actually just that blizzard changes the ladder system so we dont get punished so hard for playing control decks.

I mean, the point of different deck archetypes is to counter other decks. If you just put everyone against a similar deck, it defeats the purpose. No one deck can consistently defeat every type of deck. If that were the case, the game would be a complete mess, balance-wise. You have to take the ying with the yang, unfortunately.

Dahbomb

Reynad also thinks Mysterious Challenger Paladin is the best Paladin deck currently and will basically get even more fine tuned in the future and will become a true tier 1 deck.

Though he was saying that cards like Eadric the Pure and Tuskarr Jouster are good Paladin cards but won't see much play down the line because all the top Paladin players will be using MC Paladin.

Lyng

I mean, the point of different deck archetypes is to counter other decks. If you just put everyone against a similar deck, it defeats the purpose. No one deck can consistently defeat every type of deck. If that were the case, the game would be a complete mess, balance-wise. You have to take the ying with the yang, unfortunately.

I think you missed my point. Right now if you want to play ranked and dont have alot of time to invest in playing you are more or less forced to play aggro decks in order to rank up quick enough.
The ranking system is shit because its all about time and not about skill.

It would be much better with a system like the one you find in Fifa, where you have to win ex amount of games in order to progress and the higher rank you get the better players you will meet.
This would also mean that legend players and pro players shouldnt waste time in the lower brackets.

I think you missed my point. Right now if you want to play ranked and dont have alot of time to invest in playing you are more or less forced to play aggro decks in order to rank up quick enough.
The ranking system is shit because its all about time and not about skill.

It would be much better with a system like the one you find in Fifa, where you have to win ex amount of games in order to progress and the higher rank you get the better players you will meet.
This would also mean that legend players and pro players shouldnt waste time in the lower brackets.

I mean, those aggro decks still have to win. Is it quicker to play an aggro deck? Sure. I don't think that means they're worse players/decks necessarily, however. I don't know how else you'd make a ranking system though. Do you make longer games more valuable? That may result in people intentionally delaying the game, even when they have lethal. That would be even more frustrating than losing to an aggro deck and moving on.

What I think really hurts and pushes people to aggro decks is the low cost of entry for them, vs. a high cost for control decks. Blizz really need to release effective control cards at low rarity in order to help push that archetype back into favour. But control cards also tend to be the most "interesting" cards, which means they will likely make them rare/epic/legendaries so people will buy more packs.

=/

Pooya

It draws 5 cards IF you have one of each secret left in your deck and IF you play 5 different (shitty) secret cards in your deck.

Card is very powerful, but also very limited. Secret paladin can draw some shitty hands and can't really win if they don't draw MC.

What it does is fine, 6/6 stats for 6 isn't. Something has to give when a card has an ability, this card just loses one health over Boulderfist? no way that's enough. There is no disadvantage for playing this card on its own when you don't have any secrets left. Compared with Mad Scientist for example which has below average stats and when you don't have secrets it's terrible. Even if this is a class card, it has better stats than every 6 drop legendary card!

Dahbomb

Man people have really flipped their opinions on Mysterious Challenger.

This is your daily reminder that I told everyone the card would be ridiculous just prior to TGT release (and even explained why it would be so).

I shudder to think the day someone Tempo Mage pulls this card out of Unstable Portal and plays it on turn 3.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

That's certainly it's biggest weakness, but there are more win conditions than just MC. A good standard paladin curve with knife juggler combos or well timed weapons can screw you. A good Divine Favor can kill you. A well timed or misguessed avenge/nobel sac/redemption/competitive spirit can kill you. An early, overfed secret keeper can kill you. Missing the one or two drop against such a fast deck can kill you.

There's a lot more to the deck than I gave it credit for at the start. And the variety of decks successfully running MC just means it's a matter of time before the ultimate MC deck gets figured out. We're lucky that it isn't optimized yet, and yet even unoptimized secret palidan is still very good.

I can't believe how many armor troll warriors I'm seeing. They all run double acolyte too, which means I always win as I just mill them out but the games take like 25 minutes.

johnsmith

remember me
The hate is flowing through me. I haven't fought a single paladin yet, but I'm on a winning streak through warriors, priests, and druids.

zoukka

This is your daily reminder that I told everyone the card would be ridiculous just prior to TGT release (and even explained why it would be so).

U trippin, I told it was overpowered and you tried to ease my worries back then :) I was the one who made the first comparison to Dr. Balanced.

In action though it's not as good as in theory since your deck is full of crappy cards unlike with Dr. Balanced and Mad Scientist.

The hate is flowing through me. I haven't fought a single paladin yet, but I'm on a winning streak through warriors, priests, and druids.

Dude there is no point in changing decks for that small of a sample size.

Ladekabel

Why doesn't Blizzard hide additional deckslots behind hero levels? Maybe get one every time you level a hero to 20, 40, 60. I don't think someone who has played the game so long to reach those levels would say "Man, these deck slots confuse me!".

bord

Neo Member
Why doesn't Blizzard hide additional deckslots behind hero levels? Maybe get one every time you level a hero to 20, 40, 60. I don't think someone who has played the game so long to reach those levels would say "Man, these deck slots confuse me!".

That probably would be the best way to do it.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard has backed away from the whole "more decklosts would be too confusing" idea. They will show up eventually; we just don't know when.

Loomba

Makes too much sense

Daigoro

just got death threats to me and my family after beating a Dragon Priest with Face Hunter.

glorious!

got unfirended before i could respond. lol

Lyng

I mean, those aggro decks still have to win. Is it quicker to play an aggro deck? Sure. I don't think that means they're worse players/decks necessarily, however. I don't know how else you'd make a ranking system though. Do you make longer games more valuable? That may result in people intentionally delaying the game, even when they have lethal. That would be even more frustrating than losing to an aggro deck and moving on.

What I think really hurts and pushes people to aggro decks is the low cost of entry for them, vs. a high cost for control decks. Blizz really need to release effective control cards at low rarity in order to help push that archetype back into favour. But control cards also tend to be the most "interesting" cards, which means they will likely make them rare/epic/legendaries so people will buy more packs.

=/

I dont mind the Aggro decks winning, I mind beeing forced into playing them due to the ranking system beeing all about grinding x amount of games in a set timeframe.

I want a ranking system that shows a players skill and not just that he has played x amount of hours more then someone else.
Right now almost anybody can reach legend given enough free time to play the game, thus it doesnt reflect true skill until you reach legend and have to grind that latter.
I also see zero reason for legend players beeing forced to rank up each season from low ranks.

The Fifa system puts people in different ranks. Then in order to rank up you need to win x amount of games out of a set amount of games. And the ranks never reset.
That means once the ranks settle you end up at a rank that truly reflects your skill.
It also means that legend players only have to play legend players, unless they loose x amount of games and drop rank.
You need to play lets say 10 or 20 matches each new "season" and win a set amount of those matches in order to maintain your rank.

Suddenly people will be thinking alot more about what kind of decks they are playing and not just go for the fastest deck that lets them play a ton of games in the quickest timeframe.

Lupercal

Banned
I hate the fight that secrets don't work have the time when it has to be triggered by a death.
Oh Effigy, suiciding a molten golem ey ? No drop.
Opponent kills my manaworm, oh Hi Effigy.

sibarraz

Banned
I've been doing fine with just Ysera, even though I have all of them. The deck works even without a lot of legendaries.

In my last 10 games I must had used ysera maybe 2 times. It works more as an activator for the dragons ability or un the worst case to secure the game

Finalow

not sure if I should turn into dust ** geddon + some shitty epic cards in order to craft the cards I'm missing for eboladin. which are mostly rare ones (arcane golem, muster, knife juggler and divine favor) and some common ones.

I know it's probably a waste but it feels like it's gonna take forever before I get those exact cards from classic/gvg packs.
just tell me what to do, gaf.

y or n

ViviOggi

just tell me what to do, gaf.

y or n
400 dust is an awful payout for a good legendary. That's 4 rares you're almost guaranteed to pull from your next 50 packs or so, and for the dupes you only get 20 each. Pretty bad deal overall.

Which epics though? There's some real garbage there you're not gonna miss ever.

Man people have really flipped their opinions on Mysterious Challenger.

I shudder to think the day someone Tempo Mage pulls this card out of Unstable Portal and plays it on turn 3.

I still think it's not very good. Sure it can draw 5 cards and puts them into play, but they're paladin secrets. They not only are very underwhelming, they don't even compliment each other all that well. How much would you pay to prevent 1 point of damage, summon a 2/1 and give +3/+2 to a random minion? When your opponent chooses of course. It's usually pretty easy to play against it and the secrets don't compliment each other all that well.

The card would be completely broken on hunter or mage, but I think it's balanced on paladin. I certainly don't see the need to nerf it, like some people have proposed.

I dont mind the Aggro decks winning, I mind beeing forced into playing them due to the ranking system beeing all about grinding x amount of games in a set timeframe.

I want a ranking system that shows a players skill and not just that he has played x amount of hours more then someone else.
Right now almost anybody can reach legend given enough free time to play the game, thus it doesnt reflect true skill until you reach legend and have to grind that latter.
I also see zero reason for legend players beeing forced to rank up each season from low ranks.

The Fifa system puts people in different ranks. Then in order to rank up you need to win x amount of games out of a set amount of games. And the ranks never reset.
That means once the ranks settle you end up at a rank that truly reflects your skill.
It also means that legend players only have to play legend players, unless they loose x amount of games and drop rank.
You need to play lets say 10 or 20 matches each new "season" and win a set amount of those matches in order to maintain your rank.

Suddenly people will be thinking alot more about what kind of decks they are playing and not just go for the fastest deck that lets them play a ton of games in the quickest timeframe.

Unlike FIFA, here your "true skill" also depends on the deck you're playing. I (a scrub) could beat the world champion if I had a deck that countered his. That would never happen on a game like FIFA or chess. Therefore it sort of makes sense that rankings reset every season. It's more fun that way and makes you react constantly to the meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom