• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Face Hunter isnt OP its just annoying to lose to and unrewarding to beat. So little strategy involved in those games.

I see this posted over and over when referring to face hunter, but I completely disagree. When you're winning or losing over such a tight life margin (usually 1 or 2 points can swing the game either way), strategy matters.

Sometimes you'll have like 15 health and think you won easily, but actually he was 1 damage away from lethal and conceded and you didn't even have a clue how close it really was.

I see people make suboptimal plays against it all the time, thinking they're safe when they're not. Even though I've played face hunter for a while, so I now what's in there pretty well, I've made some dubious plays against it thinking I was safe. In one case I had about 18 life and had healing in my hand, but played a minion that would hit for lethal next turn thinking I was safe. If he had just got Huffer I would have lost (to a pretty miraculous top deck, but that's the point). I won with 4 health left.

Even when you completely demolish the face hunter, you'll never truly know how close you were to losing, before it ran out of steam.

Strider

I said little strategy, not no strategy.

The amount of thought required when playing with or against other decks/matchups is far greater.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I lived the dream. Patron Warrior did over 50 damage to my face on a single turn and I still lived/won the game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.twitch.tv/starladder_hs_en

BabyRage.png
VS
FrankerZ.png
Starting in two minutes. In other news headaches sucks ass.

Opiate

Balanced Shredder pops out Lightwell to allow Dog to win that game against Freeze Mage...

It's also an excellent example of how important and valuable shredder is to the game. If that element of randomness was not there, the game would have been very boring.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chow is so unbelievably strong in spinning games out of control in Arena. If somehow your choices were Chow, Sylvanas and Dr Boom, Chow would be the correct pick.

I think every single game I play second and against a turn 1 Chow I lose, regardless of anything else. And somehow they always get that chow out turn 1 despite having a extremely heavy curve with almost no other low cost minions (except for the sole 2 and 3 drops they drafted following chow, then it's all over).

Mulgrok

Token druid got my Dragon paladin down to 1 health and ran out of steam, but I was able to reset to full because of the Tree of Life my Nefarian pulled the last turn. Esports!

I'd go for Rhonin. It comes out one turn earlier which is good, and it serves a bit of a different purpose (better when your opponent can kill it, has 7 attack instead of 4). If your deck is trending more towards playing for value (e.g. big removals, big drops), then second Ysera might be better.

sibarraz

Banned
Dragon Priest has returned me the love for the game. Priest is my favorite class and is cool to see a viable deck that isn't as braindead as other archetypes, and that also doesn't had matchups that are super onesided (maybe except handlock)

Still, my only criticism is that the deck has a lots of problem when the initial hand doesnt drop at least one northshire cleric, twilight whelp or wrymest argent. In some cases a twilight guardian could be a good enougk pick too

I see this posted over and over when referring to face hunter, but I completely disagree. When you're winning or losing over such a tight life margin (usually 1 or 2 points can swing the game either way), strategy matters.

Sometimes you'll have like 15 health and think you won easily, but actually he was 1 damage away from lethal and conceded and you didn't even have a clue how close it really was.

I see people make suboptimal plays against it all the time, thinking they're safe when they're not. Even though I've played face hunter for a while, so I now what's in there pretty well, I've made some dubious plays against it thinking I was safe. In one case I had about 18 life and had healing in my hand, but played a minion that would hit for lethal next turn thinking I was safe. If he had just got Huffer I would have lost (to a pretty miraculous top deck, but that's the point). I won with 4 health left.

Even when you completely demolish the face hunter, you'll never truly know how close you were to losing, before it ran out of steam.

I love playing against Face Hunter with Control Warrior. I think it's one of my favorite matchups in the game.

Some matchups are really mentally taxing and those can be enjoyable too, like CW mirror or CW vs. Handlock. But the reason I like this matchup is:

1) the basic idea is incredibly straightforward and fun, you turtle and he smashes into you. a classic battle of offense vs. defense.
2) it's not a brainless matchup, and small plays can make a big difference
3) it's a nice quick game

Dreavus

Chow is so unbelievably strong in spinning games out of control in Arena. If somehow your choices were Chow, Sylvanas and Dr Boom, Chow would be the correct pick.

I think every single game I play second and against a turn 1 Chow I lose, regardless of anything else. And somehow they always get that chow out turn 1 despite having a extremely heavy curve with almost no other low cost minions (except for the sole 2 and 3 drops they drafted following chow, then it's all over).

Gah, hate games like that. The opponent gets a good start then it's nothing but gas for them off the top of the deck. Without seeing their deck, it makes it seem like their curve is terrible but they just got lucky (could happen from time to time I suppose).

Finalow

not sure if I should turn into dust my only legendary geddon + some shitty epic cards in order to craft the cards I'm missing for eboladin. which are mostly rare ones (arcane golem, muster, knife juggler and divine favor) and some common ones.

I know it's probably a waste but it feels like it's gonna take forever before I get those exact cards from classic/gvg packs.

Fireblend

Banned
I think my Tempo Mage is about as good as it could be, but man, I have such bad luck when it comes to mulligans and draws and nearly everything that involves RNG in some way... which Mage has tons of.
Here's my current deck:

2x Arcane Missiles
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Mirror Image
1x Clockwork Gnome
1x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
1x Unstable Portal
2x Mad Scientist
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
1x Effigy
2x Mirror Entity
2x Flamewakers
2x Fireball
1x Arcane Nullifier X-21 <- Replaced a Clockwork Gnome/Spellslinger
1x Kezan Mystic <- Replaced an Azure Drake
2x Piloted Shredders
1x Azure Drake
1x Flamestrike
1x Archmage Antonidas
1x Dr. Boom

Anyone got any feedback? I think my subs have been decent. Kezan Mystic has come in handy more than once, and Arcane Nullifier is better at stalling the game than a Belcher, plus it gets played one turn earlier.

Santiako

I think my Tempo Mage is about as good as it could be, but man, I have such bad luck when it comes to mulligans and draws and nearly everything that involves RNG in some way... which Mage has tons of.
Here's my current deck:

2x Arcane Missiles
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Mirror Image
1x Clockwork Gnome
1x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
1x Unstable Portal
2x Mad Scientist
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
1x Effigy
2x Mirror Entity
2x Flamewakers
2x Fireball
2x Piloted Shredders
1x Azure Drake
1x Flamestrike
1x Archmage Antonidas
1x Dr. Boom

Anyone got any feedback? I think my subs have been decent. Kezan Mystic has come in handy more than once, and Arcane Nullifier is better at stalling the game than a Belcher, plus it gets played one turn earlier.

I play Tempo Mage a lot, I don't run any mechs, Water Elementals are much better than Shredders in this meta in my opinion. I've never played Arcane Nullifier in the deck, but I really can't see it being good. At cost 4, I feel like Sen'jin would be better, but I wouldn't run either tbh. I would cut the gnome for a second portal, and one of the mirror entities for a polymorph boar, the card is amazing but you never want two in hand. Edit: Also, find a place for the 2nd Azure Drake, that card is essential.

Here's my current deck:

2x Arcane Missiles
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Mirror Image
1x Clockwork Gnome
1x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
1x Unstable Portal
2x Mad Scientist
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
1x Effigy
2x Mirror Entity
2x Flamewakers
2x Fireball
2x Piloted Shredders
1x Azure Drake
1x Flamestrike
1x Archmage Antonidas
1x Dr. Boom

Your mulligans are probably bad because you have a ton of stuff that you only have one copy. I don't really play Tempo, well I do but very badly, but I would try to double up on more stuff I think.

Fireblend

Banned
I play Tempo Mage a lot, I don't run any mechs, Water Elementals are much better than Shredders in this meta in my opinion. I've never played Arcane Nullifier in the deck, but I really can't see it being good. At cost 4, I feel like Sen'jin would be better, but I wouldn't run either tbh. I would cut the gnome for a second portal, and one of the mirror entities for a polymorph boar, the card is amazing but you never want two in hand. Edit: Also, find a place for the 2nd Azure Drake, that card is essential.

Hmmm. I added the clockwork gnome because it's a good turn 1 card and I'm always running out of spells before Antonidas is out. I'll think about replacing the shredders with water elementals, that does seem to make sense. I'm not too sure about adding another portal, it usually strikes me as a more late-game card to me and very RNG-ish. I used to have a Spellslinger instead of a Clockwork Gnome, but I realized I wasn't confident enough to play it and often kept it in my hand out of fear of it backfiring somehow. Might have to look into crafting a Polymorph Boar.

I always see people talk about Zombie Chow. What makes that card so good?

Opiate

The stats are really, really good for a one drop and the drawback is typically meaningless in the early game.

Typically meaningless in the early game for control decks. It's not something an aggro deck would want to play, which really is legitimately trying to blow people up by turn 6-7.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hmmm. I added the clockwork gnome because it's a good turn 1 card and I'm always running out of spells before Antonidas is out. I'll think about replacing the shredders with water elementals, that does seem to make sense. I'm not too sure about adding another portal, it usually strikes me as a more late-game card to me and very RNG-ish. I used to have a Spellslinger instead of a Clockwork Gnome, but I realized I wasn't confident enough to play it and often kept it in my hand out of fear of it backfiring somehow. Might have to look into crafting a Polymorph Boar.

Spellslinger is solid for the deck's playstlye. Mage gets super value out of even mediocre spells with it so I think the card is worth it for that. You can see stuff like this match I had yesterday where I just won the game turn 4 thanks to him.

Water ele is really good and I also like a copy of mech yeti over shredder for the spare part.

Fireblend

Banned
Spellslinger is solid for the deck's playstlye. Mage gets super value out of even mediocre spells with it so I think the card is worth it for that. You can see stuff like this match I had yesterday where I just won the game turn 4 thanks to him.

Water ele is really good and I also like a copy of mech yeti over shredder for the spare part.
What about my first turns though? If I cut the gnome that's another turn 1 card I lose, not like it's been any good because most of the time my starting hand is chock-full of spells and higher-mana minions anyway =/.

Ugh, it finally happened to me.

Two taunts on the board, full health, dead in one turn from Berserkers. You cannot play around these things, they are like Unleash the Hounds, you will just lose harder the more minions you try to block them with. Balanced as fuck. I even played around Patrons spam but you don't even need those to win.

freeze mage is dead

I ran into a few Mysterious Challenger Paladins yesterday, so I switched over to Midrange Hunter with double Flares. I immediately queue into a Freeze Mage. I built up a board, and after he dropped Antonidas and hit me with the initial round of Fireballs thinking he's safe for two turns with his secrets up, I wiped his secrets with Flare and hit for lethal. All the secrets counters out right now and the Control Warriors with Justicar have to make Freeze Mage damn near unplayable right now.

Dahbomb

It's a bit unbelievable to me that Shamans are still tier 4 class despite getting so many amazing cards this expansion. Hell even Priests are hovering in tier 2 status right now.

Maybe the right combination of cards hasn't been made for Shaman yet.

The stats are really, really good for a one drop and the drawback is typically meaningless in the early game.

It's a 2 drop for the price of 1. And the "drawback" is meaningless when you are likely to play it "early game". It's used in slower decks to control the early game against aggression.
Oh alright. I guess I generally get lucky on the second turn and quickly kill it off with that mage spell (forgot the name).

Another question, if I have more than 2 of any card, should I just turn it into dust? There's no reason to have 3+ of a card is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom