• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uninstalled, this game has no skill ceiling, it is not competitive, it is finding the most efficient deck everyone is using, playing it, hoping you get lucky with draws

There is no achievement to be found and playing anything that isnt optimised is utterly futile.

Really? Cause I've hit legend multiple times and am still a far throw from top player caliber.

I think the skill ceiling in this game is actually really high in spite of and in part because of the RNG in the game.

Santiako

The amount of games Fel Reaver can win you single-handily in Mech Mage is insane. Especially when you have a dumb opponent playing cards inefficiently, just to get you to discard. Then they realize they're in lethal range, and then all of a sudden frantically try to get rid of it.

Fel Reaver on 5, then Coin+Boom on 7 is my favorite. Almost no deck can handle that, and the earlygame will have already taken a good chunk out of their life.

Yeah, I have no idea why people think that playing all your cheap crap just to try and mill you is a good idea when facing an 8/8.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The amount of games Fel Reaver can win you single-handily in Mech Mage is insane. Especially when you have a dumb opponent playing cards inefficiently, just to get you to discard. Then they realize they're in lethal range, and then all of a sudden frantically try to get rid of it.

Fel Reaver on 5, then Coin+Boom on 7 is my favorite. Almost no deck can handle that, and the earlygame will have already taken a good chunk out of their life.

Fel Reaver is the most ironic card in the game. It's one of the most skill-based cards available, and yet the correct strategy while playing it is is actually very simple.

If you play Fel Reaver, you Smorc
If you're up against a Fel Reaver, you either kill it, or stop the Smorc.

But what does everybody see and do instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJTK_iNA5s

real quick, hungry crab or recombobulator, first pick as a warlock?

recom is a really powerful card, but murloc knight is 100% always picked if available and i see four paladins for one of every other class recently in arena...

recom also doesn't fit quite as well with my strategy of drafting cheap and healing to blitz people cos warlock sucks in arena anyway

Santiako

recom is a really powerful card, but murloc knight is 100% always picked if available and i see four paladins for one of every other class recently in arena...

recom also doesn't fit with my strategy of drafting cheap and healing to blitz people cos warlock sucks in arena anyway

Crab if only to feel the salty paladin tears through the cosmos

edit: of course this is not a serious answer, please pick recombobulator

ZealousD

Recombobulator.

I don't care how powerful Murloc Knight is. Hungry Crab is still one of the most niche tech cards in arena. You need cards that are independently solid in case you need to play it for tempo. Recombobulator can be played on Turn 2 for tempo and in the late game it's one of the best 2 drops available. Not even a contest. Get the tingles.

i hate first card dillemmas like this lol. if i draft recom then i kind of want to change my whole draft strategy and go more expensive. but i was planning on drafting cheap to aggro bc all of the paladin crap out there anyway

ZealousD

i hate first card dillemmas like this lol. if i draft recom then i kind of want to change my whole draft strategy and go more expensive. but i was planning on drafting cheap to aggro bc all of the paladin crap out there anyway

You're drafting for Arena all wrong, son.

You're drafting for Arena all wrong, son.

nah if i was doing it 'right' i would've picked mage, but i picked warlock because i wanted to have fun and play with a draft objective lol, i get sick of mage mage mage paladin paladin paladin it's the way to win but it's boring?

ZealousD

nah if i was doing it 'right' i would've picked mage, but i picked warlock because i wanted to have fun and play with a draft objective lol, i get sick of mage mage mage paladin paladin paladin it's the way to win but it's boring?

Nobody else is drafting for "fun". You're just gonna get rolled.

Just imagine your opening hand is a bunch of 4-drops and Hungry Crab, or if your opening hand is a bunch of 4-drops and Recombobulator, and you know your answer.

Meta snapshot week 29

Oh man look how much the game has slowed down...

Some Secret Pally variants seem to play as fast as the old Naxx Zoo if they get Secretkeepers in their opening hand - spam secrets to pump them up to 2/3, 3/4 or even 4/5, gain more tempo when you try to inch back on the board thanks to them, then pump more minions on with Muster and Minibot. I've been running extreme anti-aggro Dragon Priest to beat them, but I just lose to Control Warriors (don't have the cards to play it; wish I did).

Opiate

Meta snapshot week 29

Oh man look how much the game has slowed down...

Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

Before TGT, the top tier was:

Patron Warrior
Aggro Paladin
Face Hunter
Hybrid Hunter

Now it's:

Grim Patron Warrior
Secret Paladin
Mech Mage
Dragon Priest

1) Patron is the same, obviously.
2) Secret Paladin is slower than aggro Paladin
3) Mech Mage is about as fast as Hybrid Hunter
4) Dragon Priest is notably slower than Face Hunter

It seems slower to me. Hunter is out of top tier, and the existing Hunter variants are even slower than they were (face has become far less common, and new hunter variants often run king's elekk or ram wrangler). Paladin variants are mostly slower than they were. Priest has ascended to have a top tier deck.

It isn't like aggro has gone away entirely, so if that's what people were expecting, then yes, things haven't slowed down by that metric. I just wanted fewer aggro decks at the top of the meta -- without making aggro die entirely -- and I do feel that's been accomplished.

Patron Warrior
Aggro Paladin
Face Hunter
Hybrid Hunter

Now it's:

Grim Patron Warrior
Secret Paladin
Mech Mage
Dragon Priest

It seems slower to me. Hunter is out of top tier, and the existing Hunter variants are even slower than they were (face has become far less common, and new hunter variants often run king's elekk or ram wrangler). Paladin variants are mostly slower than they were. Priest has ascended to have a top tier deck.

It isn't like aggro has gone away entirely, so if that's what people were expecting, then yes, things haven't slowed down by that metric. I just wanted fewer aggro decks at the top of the meta -- without making aggro die entirely -- and I do feel that's been accomplished.

Might be a little slower but for me its not slow enough yet. The only really slow deck is the Dragon Priest its also the deck that trades the most with the board. While others either go face/vomit on the board or wait for their OP combo.

Mech Mage making a comeback is pretty horrible.

ZealousD

Has anybody tried making gold decks? Making the best deck you can out of gold cards. I tried to it today since my collection of gold cards has grown a bit. I made a kind of Mech Mage deck. Hardly optimized but I worked with what I had.

lGGo2gW.jpg

sibarraz

Banned

Patron Warrior
Aggro Paladin
Face Hunter
Hybrid Hunter

Now it's:

Grim Patron Warrior
Secret Paladin
Mech Mage
Dragon Priest

Yep, now the amount of face hunters and aggro paladin has slowed down quite a bit, before I was facing like 4-5 aggro paladins for every 10 matches, and now with some luck I face one every 10 matches

Has anybody tried making gold decks? Making the best deck you can out of gold cards. I tried to it today since my collection of gold cards has grown a bit. I made a kind of Mech Mage deck. Hardly optimized but I worked with what I had.

I want to make a golden deck to whichever deck has 500 wins on his class and reach legendary.

The latter will be hard to pull on and I'm not in a hurry to do that, but if i ever manage to do it I will love to make my deck golden

Opiate

Might be a little slower but for me its not slow enough yet. The only really slow deck is the Dragon Priest its also the deck that trades the most with the board. While others either go face/vomit on the board or wait for their OP combo.

Mech Mage making a comeback is pretty horrible.

Sure, I'd like a slightly slower game, too.

On a scale of 1-10 where 10 is nothing but face hunter and paladin and 1 is nothing but control priest, I'd say the game was a 9 before and now it's an 8, or it was an 8 before and now it's a 7. I might prefer a 5 or 6, personally, but it's fine, and you also have to be careful not to go too far in the other direction. If the game were at 3 or 2, you'd see 1) people with all the legendaries do much better, which Blizzard is consciously trying to avoid, because slow control decks use lots of expensive cards, and 2) you'd start seeing fatigue decks and mill decks pop up everywhere, which would also annoy people and become the new cancer.

Yeah, I have no idea why people think that playing all your cheap crap just to try and mill you is a good idea when facing an 8/8.

I've seen it work. I beat a mech shaman running it the other day using my tempo rogue. In the end he had 0 cards, and 8/8 and I had 11 hp with enough power on board to kill the 8/8. He had zero chance to deal the additional 3 damage.

Raxus

He's BBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!

Honestly Grim Patron should never have left the #1 slot.

EVERYONE, GET IN HERE!

This tourney proves it never left. Secret Paladins and Grims are going to be ez wins for every tourney deck for a long long time.

Haunted

I'm sure everyone already went crazy over it, but Eloise vs Lifecoach in Tempo Storm vs Nihilum (game 7) was one of the most hilarious and exciting games of pro Hearthstone I've seen.

(These topdecks are CRAZY etc etc)

Sure, I'd like a slightly slower game, too.

On a scale of 1-10 where 10 is nothing but face hunter and paladin and 1 is nothing but control priest, I'd say the game was a 9 before and now it's an 8, or it was an 8 before and now it's a 7. I might prefer a 5 or 6, personally, but it's fine, and you also have to be careful not to go too far in the other direction. If the game were at 3 or 2, you'd see 1) people with all the legendaries do much better, which Blizzard is consciously trying to avoid, because slow control decks use lots of expensive cards, and 2) you'd start seeing fatigue decks and mill decks pop up everywhere, which would also annoy people and become the new cancer.

Yeah i guess you are right about that.I just hate the face decks because it feels like im playing a game of solitaire unless i put up a very big minion or a taunt. I guess i have to look at it from the bright side.

ZealousD

I've seen it work. I beat a mech shaman running it the other day using my tempo rogue. In the end he had 0 cards, and 8/8 and I had 11 hp with enough power on board to kill the 8/8. He had zero chance to deal the additional 3 damage.

How many times did the Fel Reaver get in some face damage? Did it stay on the board for several turns?

Fel Reaver generally follows the same rule as Highmane imo. If it hits face once than that person usually wins, unless they were already extremely far behind.

ZealousD

Had to dig deep into the free set to make it work.

Haha, oh man. Stormpike Commando and Archmage. It's an interesting challenge to try and make a deck work like that. And then sometimes you have to make picks like those and it's obvious where you had to pick a random card to fill the hole. Like that Ogre Brute I put in my Mech Mage deck since I was begging for 3 drops.

Tagyhag

Misdirection can hit your own troops right? When used against me, I don't think I've ever seen it hit the enemy hero or his other minions.

How many times did the Fel Reaver get in some face damage? Did it stay on the board for several turns?

Fel Reaver generally follows the same rule as Highmane imo. If it hits face once than that person usually wins, unless they were already extremely far behind.

At least 3 times. Also, that silly highmane rule...
laugh.gif

I can't count the amount of times I have won because someone thought that was true and went face instead of trading.

I just reviewed that shaman game, it dealt 28 damage due to 2 abusive sergeants over 3 separate hits.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what Value Town was thinking putting oil rogue in the lineup. Oil rogue sucks so much right now. Any matcheps they used to be good against got good buffs from TGT cards and any decks that didn't get buffed from TGT were already poor matchups for oil rogue.

Might as well go fatigue rogue if you have to go rogue right now.

ZealousD

At least 3 times. Also, that silly highmane rule...
laugh.gif

I can't count the amount of times I have won because someone thought that was true and went face instead of trading.

I just reviewed that shaman game, it dealt 28 damage due to 2 abusive sergeants over 3 separate hits.

The fact that the Fel Reaver managed to get in 24 points of damage on its own tells me that the Mech Shaman was behind all game, which is generally a death knell for that deck anyway. The fact that he didn't really get in any damage from other sources was the problem here, not the fact that you decked him. You can't rely on a single Fel Reaver to do all your damage for you.

In regards to the Highmane rule, it kind of assumes that the Mid-range Hunter is not far behind. It's kind of like, if Highmane hits face in the scenario where it shouldn't trade then the Hunter will win.

I played a friend of mine pre-TGT, gold deck vs gold deck with this idea. Since we picked up the game around a similar time it was pretty fair. The best list I can come up with now:

It would be a decent Arena deck.

sibarraz

Banned
Leeroy Jenkins created a strategy that revolved around trying to defeat your opponent in one turn without requiring any cards on the board. Fighting for board control and battles between minions make an overall game of Hearthstone more fun and compelling, but taking 20+ damage in one turn is not particularly fun or interactive.

Hupsel

Damn, rogue lost every game in the tournament lol.

Class really needs something else. Also it doesnt help they need 2 or 3 cards to be effective. Prep + Sprint, Poisons + Blade Flurry and so on. Thats why its also easy to run out of cards while playing Valeera.

I wonder how long Shaman will sit in the basement until Blizzard finally creates some broken cards on the level that other classes have gotten.

How do you think Rogue players feel? At least TGT gave Shaman some neat cards. In fact, all of the Shaman set is useful in some way, shape or form. Rogues got literally nothing and they were already hurting before. As i've said before, I think Rogue has been the weakest class for a long time and will only continue to languish.

KE2YDmZ.png

i suck at rogue so this terrible oil rogue deck would have the same winrate as my actual oil rogue deck

Hupsel

How do you think Rogue players feel? At least TGT gave Shaman some neat cards. In fact, all of the Shaman set is useful in some way, shape or form. Rogues got literally nothing and they were already hurting before. As i've said before, I think Rogue has been the weakest class for a long time and will only continue to languish.

I might be crazy but I think Blizz doesnt care much about rogues because not a lot of people play them and its a class that, coming from WoW, was also the least played. If a class like mage or warrior was in the rogue situation in Hearthstone they would fix them asap with some powerful cards or new mechanics for them. Warriors and mages are popular classes that people like so you can make at least 2 powerful decks for each one of them. But theres not a lot of buzz for rogue so they just let it rot.

I doubt they would create a new mechanic completely useless for mages or warriors, like inspire is for rogues, for example.

I always thought Rogue was probably the #1 when it came to the class people picked first in WoW because everyone wants to be the dickhead backstabber stunlock class but then people moved on. Most people I know who played WoW had rogues first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom