• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

RPS is giving away 10,000 Duelyst keys atm: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/16/duelyst-closed-beta-key/

I haven't played it yet, from what I hear its f2p system similar to HS but there's much less RNG.

Halfway through the training battles, the game HEAVILY uses the same gameplay mechanics as Hearthstone including affixes, but the overall structure is slightly different.
edit: I see there is a Face Hunter deck already in the game from looking through the cards SMOrc

Man shield slam is the last card I need make the ideal patron warrior...but I'm already 700 dust deep to saving for boom goddamnit, I can't be set back to almost nothing again. Dust comes so slow since I really just play an arena each day and my quest

Pooya

Shield slam isn't exactly crucial, you could try a BGH even or nothing. Just practice with what you have first. It's a looong road to mastery.

Kolento was running his deck the other day, I don't believe he had shield slam, just one taskmaster, two ghouls, one inventor and the rest the usual. I think there was one shieldblock. He was doing great, I haven't seen anyone play patron like him though, he plays really recklessly, like frequently playing berserker on curve on games that might not make much sense, it was working for him. Kolento vision is something else.

Shield slam isn't exactly crucial, you could try a BGH even or nothing. Just practice with what you have first. It's a looong road to mastery.

Kolento was running his deck the other day, I don't believe he had shield slam, just one taskmaster, two ghouls, one inventor and the rest the usual. I think there was one shieldblock. He was doing great, I haven't seen anyone play patron like him though, he plays really recklessly, like frequently playing berserker on curve on games that might not make much sense, it was working for him. Kolento vision is something else.

Yeah I play it quite a bit but honestly 2x shield block 2x armor smiths 2x unstables and only one slam subbed for a shield slam looks to me like the most well rounded deck. I've lost a few games where my 30+ armor buildup from crazy smith plays could have easily put me over. It gives you that third threat that really puts the deck over and op IMO. I mean it's still amazing without it but I've settled that that's the most logical tech for the last five wildcards, I think. Two damage and draw a card has nothing on the ability to burst oko from some shield blocks and smith plays which can get out of hand with patron and warsong and whirl/ghoul quickly. Which is great bc the more armor you can build the longer you can stall out for that perfect hand combo which is what the deck lives on

I would never run bgh, that's what 2x executes are for. Tbh the most difficult parts of patron are

1. Waiting for thaussian. This is why I think the heavy shield version is by far the most optimized one
And 2. Not freaking out and wasting your whole turn overthinking, see way too many people spend ten minutes calculating if they have lethal then they end up roping and missing a few free attacks they had lol

caesar

Banned
Yeah I play it quite a bit but honestly 2x shield block 2x armor smiths 2x unstables and only one slam subbed for a shield slam looks to me like the most well rounded deck. I've lost a few games where my 30+ armor buildup from crazy smith plays could have easily put me over. It gives you that third threat that really puts the deck over and op IMO. I mean it's still amazing without it but I've settled that that's the most logical tech for the last five wildcards, I think. Two damage and draw a card has nothing on the ability to burst oko from some shield blocks and smith plays which can get out of hand with patron and warsong and whirl/ghoul quickly. Which is great bc the more armor you can build the longer you can stall out for that perfect hand combo which is what the deck lives on

I would never run bgh, that's what 2x executes are for. Tbh the most difficult parts of patron are

1. Waiting for thaussian. This is why I think the heavy shield version is by far the most optimized one
And 2. Not freaking out and wasting your whole turn overthinking, see way too many people spend ten minutes calculating if they have lethal then they end up roping and missing a few free attacks they had lol

Not sure what your list is but sub 1 war axe for an extra inner rage.

Not sure what your list is but sub 1 war axe for an extra inner rage.
dWNnrLp

That's the deck I think is the best tbh I'm just a shield slam short of it.

Do the arena value websites severely undervalue silence? Owls and breakers almost never top what the sites tell me is the best pick, but I have definitely felt good about picking silence 95% of the time it's offered even if it's offered with another good card, bc tempo swings are everything in drafted matches, and almost all the minions everyone picks have some sort of aspect that can get screwed by silence and you usually only get offered two silences per draft if you're lucky

After 4 or 5 games of RNG-induced loses (not that there's any other reason for a loss), I finally was playing Druid in the brawl, and got Noz, roping is a valid tactic. Play all your portals in the last second of your turn, and your opponent can't hardly do anything.

And to be honest, it felt less cheap winning by abusing Noz like that than winning legitimately off a broken UP pull.

i thought they fixed that

caesar

Banned
dWNnrLp

Do the arena value websites severely undervalue silence? Owls and breakers almost never top what the sites tell me is the best pick, but I have definitely felt good about picking silence 95% of the time it's offered even if it's offered with another good card, bc tempo swings are everything in drafted matches, and almost all the minions everyone picks have some sort of aspect that can get screwed by silence and you usually only get offered two silences per draft if you're lucky

Can't see the pic.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel like my game hasn't progressed at all. Most of you GAFers are all really good, and I always see you hovering around rank 5.

I can't ever seem to break the wall around rank 9. I can usually cruise to low teens. Then grind my way down to rank 9. Then boom wall hits every time.

I can't decide if it's my play or if I'm just missing one or two cards for my main decks that could push me over the edge.

caesar

Banned
I feel like my game hasn't progressed at all. Most of you GAFers are all really good, and I always see you hovering around rank 5.

I can't ever seem to break the wall around rank 9. I can usually cruise to low teens. Then grind my way down to rank 9. Then boom wall hits every time.

I can't decide if it's my play or if I'm just missing one or two cards for my main decks that could push me over the edge.

Honestly its possible to get higher than rank 9 using free to play decks, so I'd guess you're making many minor misplays that you probably don't even notice. Just watch more good players like Kolento, Lifecoach etc and try to emulate what they do.

Xanathus

dWNnrLp.jpg

Fixed your image link.

Pooya

what deck you play currently?

If ranking up easily is what you want, jumping on the latest try hard netdecks is the way. I don't like it myself and don't do it but those decks tend to be more forgiving to missplays. Like secret paladin is now. Your opponent just takes too much damage before they can stabilize. The deck is really dumb and not very fun. I enjoyed my old aggro paly more. Climbing with what you enjoy is more pleasant but it's not going to be easy.

Fixed your image link.
Thanks!

I used to be big on cruel taskmaster but now I think it's a trap card for patron. Seems good and if you're limited on options it is, but you're way better off with more card draw , armor, and a 0 mana rage for combos over a crappy 2/2 with an overpriced rage

Vanillalite

If ranking up easily is what you want, jumping on the latest try hard netdecks is the way. I don't like it myself and don't do it but those decks tend to be more forgiving to missplays. Like secret paladin is now. Your opponent just takes too much damage before they can stabilize. The deck is really dumb and not very fun. I enjoyed my old aggro paly more. Climbing with what you enjoy is more pleasant but it's not going to be easy.

Playing Mage, but I lack both Pyro and Archmage Antonidas as keys for victory,

I disagree on Secret Paladin. The mid range version at least isn't really all that dumb. You need to play the secrets you draw for maximum value. Also deciding when to play aggro or control the board isn't that straight forward IMO.

The deck is pretty strong though. I went from 0 stars in rank 8 to rank 7 in a single win streak. I haven't had that much time to play this month, but with this deck I usually sit down and advance a rank in a single session.

Drawing secrets is not nearly as bad as I thought at first. Not pulling Redemption out of an MC is actually much better than pulling it IMO. Reviving a 2/1 is pretty useless, but reviving a Shield Bot or Shredder can be game winning. And that's a play I can usually pull. Reviving Tirion would be the dream, but it's pretty unlikely.

Conversely, If you've drawn both Noble Sacrifices (which can be used to great effect to protect your Mini Bots and Jugglers), Redemption is much stronger when you play MC. Specially if you have one in your hand so your opponent has to play around it.

Which means it's OK to keep some secrets in your starting hand, unlike what everyone else will tell you.

Everyone is looking it from an efficiency point of view. Like oh I played X cards for a free X mana and trying to make X bigger, but no one stops to think how these cards interact with each other.

Pooya

Playing Mage, but I lack both Pyro and Archmage Antonidas as keys for victory,

My first advice is to not play mage right now, the meta is minion heavy, you can't possibly remove them all. You can't draw well with mage, your deck probably has a lot of RNG too which will be inconsistent, you want consistency to climb. Tempo mage style can't ever have board control, mech mage is better but if you draw bad, you can't do much. You need to play something that likely curves very well.

The ladder is full of paladins of all kinds that can fill the board very cheaply and quickly, you flamestrike that? I don't care, here is another murloc knight. You need to contest the board against those. You need 2 drops that deal with minibot, juggler and muster. Mana wyrm is a good 1 drop but it's not enough.

Playing something like hybrid or mid range hunter works quite well, or you can just play paladin too. It's pretty cheap. Overall you need to increase your game knowledge to climb, that is to know how every class functions, what are their game plan, how they can kill you next turn etc. For that you have to play all classes and know their cards and guess what your opponent has in the hand by their actions.

You don't even need many legendary cards to climb to 5 or legend even. Dr. Boom is enough, Loatheb is good too right now. Most of those big guy legendary cards can't ever meet the board as the game is set before then.

I disagree on Secret Paladin. The mid range version at least isn't really all that dumb. You need to play the secrets you draw for maximum value. Also deciding when to play aggro or control the board isn't that straight forward IMO.

The deck is pretty strong though. I went from 0 stars in rank 8 to rank 7 in a single win streak. I haven't had that much time to play this month, but with this deck I usually sit down and advance a rank in a single session.

Drawing secrets is not nearly as bad as I thought at first. Not pulling Redemption out of an MC is actually much better than pulling it IMO. Reviving a 2/1 is pretty useless, but reviving a Shield Bot or Shredder can be game winning. And that's a play I can usually pull. Reviving Tirion would be the dream, but it's pretty unlikely.

Conversely, If you've drawn both Noble Sacrifices (which can be used to great effect to protect your Mini Bots and Jugglers), Redemption is much stronger when you play MC. Specially if you have one in your hand so your opponent has to play around it. You will likely draw something for early game, ran out of cards? your opponent was playing reactionary the whole time so their hand is full, divine favor. Skill gap between this and patron or freeze mage even for example is huge.

Which means it's OK to keep some secrets in your starting hand, unlike what everyone else will tell you.

Everyone is looking it from an efficiency point of view. Like oh I played X cards for a free X mana and trying to make X bigger, but no one stops to think how these cards interact with each other.

For anyone who has been playing this game for a while and know how it works, it's very easy to play it, there are not that much variables you can control here. board state? well of course you need that and it's really easy with paladin to have a favorable board for MC. The deck is easy as in there are plenty of room for errors in it, as your opponent can easily misplay on secret turn and you deal so much damage then for little effort. Your opponent plays reactionary the whole time so their hands is probably full, easy divine favors. It's really easy to get lethal after that. The skill gap between this and patron or freeze mage for example is huge. It's easy. The mid range one isn't very good actually, the aggro one is broken. The secret less aggro paladin for example is a lot harder to play next to this but if you are familiar with that this one is just too dumb.

My first advice is to not play mage right now, the meta is minion heavy, you can't possibly remove them all. You can't draw well with mage, your deck probably has a lot of RNG too which will be inconsistent, you want consistency to climb. Tempo mage style can't ever have board control, mech mage is better but if you draw bad, you can't do much. You need to play something that likely curves very well.

The ladder is full of paladins of all kinds that can fill the board very cheaply and quickly, you flamestrike that? I don't care, here is another murloc knight. You need to contest the board against those. You need 2 drops that deal with minibot, juggler and muster. Mana wyrm is a good 1 drop but it's not enough.

Playing something like hybrid or mid range hunter works quite well, or you can just play paladin too. It's pretty cheap. Overall you need to increase your game knowledge to climb, that is to know how every class functions, what are their game plan, how they can kill you next turn etc. For that you have to play all classes and know their cards and guess what your opponent has in the hand by their actions.

You don't even need many legendary cards to climb to 5 or legend even. Dr. Boom is enough, Loatheb is good too right now. Most of those big guy legendary cards can't ever meet the board as the game is set before then.

For anyone who has been playing this game for a while and know how it works, it's very easy to play it, there are not that much variables you can control here. board state? well of course you need that and it's really easy with paladin to have a favorable board for MC. The deck is easy as in there are plenty of room for errors in it, as your opponent can easily misplay on secret turn and you deal so much damage then for little effort.

You are right about that. At least half my games are against Paladins. Winning over 80% of those matches takes skill. Playing the mirror also takes skill. It's not just who drops MC first. I've won the mirror without it. That tells me it's not nearly as brainless as you might think. Of course it isn't Patron level either.

Pooya

Let's say if an average player jumped on secret paladin right now, it would see much better results than any other deck right now right away, so I think that makes it easy. All you need is secret keeper, minibot, creeper, muster, maybe shredders into MC turn, not all of them just like 3 of them is enough, it carries the game after that over half of the times.

Loomba

What can I do against freezing trap as Druid?

All my minions are big and I can never seem to afford having the freezing pop because I lose a ridiculous amount of tempo.

Even if I throw a shade into it, it fucks up my rhythm most games.

Vanillalite

Still feel like beyond just not playing Mage that I aught to be able to crack higher than rank 9.

As another poster said it's probably me making a few small mistakes that miss.

I know there are some games though were if I had pyro I probably would have won vs losing in a drawn out fashion due to heals.

clav

All my minions are big and I can never seem to afford having the freezing pop because I lose a ridiculous amount of tempo.

Kezan Mystic?

Keeper of the Grove?

Let's say if an average player jumped on secret paladin right now, it would see much better results than any other deck right now right away, so I think that makes it easy. All you need is secret keeper, minibot, creeper, muster, maybe shredders into MC turn, not all of them just like 3 of them is enough, it carries the game after that over half of the times.

I don't disagree with that, but to extract maximum value out of it is not trivial and it's something you need at the higher ranks where the difference between winning and losing can be a small misplay.

Raxus

I assume you are running Mid Range?

Run Living Roots x2. One of the best druid cards introduced this set.

embalm

Living Roots - Having a 1/1 take the freeze is good.
Darnassus Aspirant - If it's frozen you get to keep the mana crystal which balances out the tempo loss. This card is also good against Tempo Mage's Mirror Entity.
Taunt (Druid of Claw, Sludge, Ancient of War) - Just don't attack with these, force him to push through them.
Kezan Mystic - Put this card in your deck to steal secrets

If you don't have any of these cards your deck is probably too greedy and you just can't win against mid-range hunter.

I've got enough blizzard fun bucks to craft another legendary but I'm scared to craft a class legendary. I could really use antonidas, grom or varian but I kinda just want to play it safe and get rag or sylvanus. Or just get 5 epics that I don't have. I need advice T_T

Raytow

Is justicar used in any paladin decks? along with that silver recruit summon common, seems like it would make a fun tokendin.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've got enough blizzard fun bucks to craft another legendary but I'm scared to craft a class legendary. I could really use antonidas, grom or varian but I kinda just want to play it safe and get rag or sylvanus. Or just get 5 epics that I don't have. I need advice T_T

I'd personally go with Sylvannas since she's neutral and more versatile in decks that fit her in which seems like a better dust use over a class one. Though the epics aren't a bad idea either, depends what they are.

Darnassus Aspirant is the ultimate "fuck secrets" card. They definitely don't want you to bounce that back.

Druid always struggled with stuff like this and mirror entity though, so sometimes your hand just makes it really bad.

Is justicar used in any paladin decks? along with that silver recruit summon common, seems like it would make a fun tokendin.

I use her in my midrange one.

Pooya

Not really, some were trying to make it work in vanilla mid range paladin, it was ok but then everyone went and played secrets instead and it doesn't make sense in that deck.

It's a control warrior card right now.

Don't craft Rag, Sylvanas is good only if you play a control deck. In current meta, it's not amazing. What epic are those? it depends. You need one BGH? sure craft one.

Opiate

Not really, some were trying to make it work in vanilla mid range paladin, it was ok but then everyone went and played secrets instead and it doesn't make sense in that deck.

It's a control warrior card right now.

I see it quite frequently. I have no idea where you're getting this.

I see it on ladder and I see it in streams constantly. Zalae uses it, and so does Hotform.

Of the class legendaries you listed, Gromm is probably the best. If you want a Warrior legendary, definitely Gromm over Varian. I crafted Varian and I think he's a good card, but Gromm is necessary to play Control Warrior and is still really good in pretty much any other Warrior decks. Antonidas is a great Mage card that fits in most of their decks, he's a good choice as well. But if you don't already have Sylvanas, I'd craft her. She fits in decks from just about every class and will always be good. Rag goes in and out of the meta depending on what other people are running and his RNG makes him very unreliable. The epics might be a good pick depending on what you're thinking of crafting.

Pooya

I see it quite frequently. I have no idea where you're getting this.

I see it on ladder and I see it in streams constantly. Zalae uses it, and so does Hotform.

Mid range paladin, frequent? I don't think so. Secret ones don't run Justicar.

It's ok in mid range paladin, but it doesn't make sense to play mid range paladin!

Mid range paladin, frequent? I don't think so. Secret ones don't run Justicar.

It's ok in mid range paladin, but it doesn't make sense to play mid range paladin!

Hey, I play mid-range Paladin!

:'(

Edit: Also, can I say? This thread makes me feel like a noob. I've played over 1,000 games of Hearthstone, yet I see people talking about having 4 or 5 gold hero portraits and my mind is blown.

Anilones

Seeing as the meta has had time to settle a little, may I have advice for my next legendary to craft? I currently have the following legendaries:
Malorne
Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Bloodmage Thalnos
Lorewalker Cho
Nat Pagle
Gormok the Impaler
Blingtron 3000
Bolf Ramshield
Baron Geddon (gold)
Dr. Boom
Sylvanas Windrunner
Ragnaros the Firelord

Minsc

Gold Member
Never ceases to amuse seeing control warriors instant quitting from a ranked game due to a fumbled brawl (leaving my best minion on the board with 3+ others dying), despite having like 40 health and 6+ cards.

Brawl!

Not the miracle I hoped for? Fine. I choose death!

Lol. Works for me, you probably saved me 20 minutes.

Had an amazing ragequit at 5-0 in Arena earlier today. I'm Mage against Shaman, go first, and play Zombie Chow. He looks at his draw and concedes.

And I have to get this out of my system on a semi-regular basis: fuck Mech Mage. It's just a BS deck that relies on getting a god draw and just immediately snowballing out of control.

I assume it's because people queue up a game and then get up or look at something else for a minute.

Or they're trying to bait you into quitting.

This is especially stupid to do in Tavern Brawls, as win:loss ratio doesn't matter. You're wasting your own time just as much as your opponent's.

Haunted

Seeing as the meta has had time to settle a little, may I have advice for my next legendary to craft? I currently have the following legendaries:
Malorne
Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Bloodmage Thalnos
Lorewalker Cho
Nat Pagle
Gormok the Impaler
Blingtron 3000
Bolf Ramshield
Baron Geddon (gold)
Dr. Boom
Sylvanas Windrunner
Ragnaros the Firelord
Ysera is one of the strongest legendaries.

If you want to have some fun, go for Justicar, Confessor or Sneed's.

Malorne
Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Bloodmage Thalnos
Lorewalker Cho
Nat Pagle
Gormok the Impaler
Blingtron 3000
Bolf Ramshield
Baron Geddon (gold)
Dr. Boom
Sylvanas Windrunner