• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Top 5 things they should've changed before the Sac Pact/Jaraxxus interaction:

1) The various Nozdormu related bugs
2) The Mistress of Pain + Auchenai interaction
3) The Druid option card Spectator bug
4) Balanced Scientist
5) Dr Balanced Bots

Top 5 things they should've changed before the Sac Pact/Jaraxxus interaction:

1) The various Nozdormu related bugs
2) The Mistress of Pain + Auchenai interaction
3) The Druid option card Spectator bug
4) Balanced Scientist
5) Dr Balanced Bots

Yeah if Mistress + Auchenai is intended then why is this being removed?

And I think they did fix the Druid bug

Kettch

Eh, it's a nerf to sacrifical pact against Warlocks, but it does buff it against priests. No more worrying about them thoughtstealing it to kill you as Jaraxxus anymore.

Dahbomb

They have no current plans to change Sacrificial Pact. It was just an incorrect assumption that was made.

Clarification here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3fkfjg/sacrificial_pacts_interaction_with_jaraxxus_is/ctpgqb2
Good.

Let the Kripparrian dream live!

And Trump went HAM, CHEESE, CROISSANT on that Demonfuse card...

"This card is SO EGREGIOUSLY BAD I have almost no words."

"We get a card that is SO INCREDIBLY BAD .. .I have almost no other words other than what were they thinking!"

This is all before and after he went on rants about how bad the card is... LMAO!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
via twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLc2yjmVEAAOo69.jpg

Combo, gain 3 attack

I used to love slow tempo/stompy aggro rogue decks. This could be in that sort of deck.

This really doesn't fit into Oil Rogue at all, and it's not independently powerful enough to create any new Rogue archetypes. On curve it's about as good as something like Fen Creeper. And you only get a 1 mana discount off Boulderfist Ogre as a combo piece. Boulderfist is pretty good in arena, and Fen Creeper is "okay", so uh.... Good Enough for Arena™. I think it's probably worse than Boulderfist Ogre overall, though. Pretty insane if you have the coin on Turn 4, though.

Raxus

The new card is appreciated for rogue arena but it is not enough to make them a consistently better choice to some other classes.

bjaelke

Even without coin that's a decent rogue card. Just doesn't fit in any of the current decks. Maybe a more minion heavy deck would be ideal.

Dahbomb

Yeah it's the type of card you play in a Midrange deck but Rogue currently doesn't play Midrange so obviously it won't get play in Constructed.

But it's fine with this card existing. It's way better than a Demonfuse.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Good.

Let the Kripparrian dream live!

And Trump went HAM, CHEESE, CROISSANT on that Demonfuse card...

"This card is SO EGREGIOUSLY BAD I have almost no words."

"We get a card that is SO INCREDIBLY BAD .. .I have almost no other words other than what were they thinking!"

This is all before and after he went on rants about how bad the card is... LMAO!

Haha, I just watched that.

But yeah...Demonfuse genuinely might be one of the worst cards in the game. I have no idea why it exists.

Also lol at flame lance. "This card is...going to see some play because of spellslinger!"

Dahbomb

Haha, I just watched that.

But yeah...Demonfuse genuinely might be one of the worst cards in the game. I have no idea why it exists.
It exists to nerf the random spell generating cards and so that Blizzard can dilute the pool of cards with shitty cards so that it's harder to get good cards meaning you have to spend more on packs to get the good stuff.

Oh and it exists as a learning tool for new players.

Raxus

Going back to the panther rider.

I was thinking. Could this enable mega ramp decks?

Youthful Brewmaster it back to your hand and play it again. It is a reuseable wild growth with board presence. Heck Youthful Brewmaster works well with several druid cards already.

Dahbomb

Going back to the panther rider.

I was thinking. Could this enable mega ramp decks?

Youthful Brewmaster it back to your hand and play it again. It is a reuseable wild growth with board presence. Heck Youthful Brewmaster works well with several druid cards already.
I was just about to make a post about this card.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

It has quite a few implications/applications (though admittedly gimmicky):

*Play this card on turn 2, then play Wailing Soul on the following turn. Or silence it with Keeper of the Grove.

*Play this card with buffs on the following turn to keep it alive and make it an ever growing threat. If they silence it then you basically get to keep your extra mana crystal.

*Against aggro it's a much better Wild Growth option. You play it and the opponent has to deal with it rather than just going face or else they will be playing into a Swipe right after this card.

*This card soft counters Mirror Entity, Cabal Shadow Priest and Shadow Madness (if it dies on their side they lose the crystal) while nerfing Shredder slightly. All of that is good stuff in my book.

*Like stated it can be bounced back to re-enable the battle cry with Panda.

*This card is actually pretty decent in the mid/late game (not past turn 10 of course). You play this on turn 7 while it hides behind a taunt. You force a removal on it because if this card isn't removed then you threaten the FoN combo the following turn.

I really, really like the design of this card. Maybe it ends up being too good or maybe it ends up being crap... but I like it as a concept.

johnsmith

remember me
Shadopan cavalry sucks btw. A combo requirement just to make a boulderfist ogre is bad. Maybe if it was +3 attack and stealth he'd be good.

It will never see play in constructed, period. 1 mana more gets you gallywix, and that's never played. It's not even a good arena card. I'll take a boulderfist over it every day.

Oil Rogue is the only rogue deck that will ever exist

Which is weird, because Oil is a bad card. I remember from the GvG release discussion, we agreed that paying 4 mana for Deadly Poison +1 is just terrible and the worst use of tempo

Raxus

Rogue, sadly, got hit by all the nerfs and it shows. Leeroy, Gadgetzan, combined with no strong showing in GvG or BRM led to it collapsing to simply oil. The cards deserved the nerf but rogue really needed a bone to compensate and instead they get shit like gang up.

Szadek

Oil Rogue is the only rogue deck that will ever exist

Which is weird, because Oil is a bad card. I remember from the GvG release discussion, we agreed that paying 4 mana for Deadly Poison +1 is just terrible and the worst use of tempo
Unlikely.

No,oil is not a bad card ,it just shows how bad these predictions sometimes are.
For further examples look at Grim Patron and Flamewaker.

Dahbomb

Gang Up is a staple part of Mill Rogue man... don't hate!

Rogue also got Dark Iron Skulker which is a legit godlike card (in Arena it's the best Rare for Rogue I believe).

And I don't know about this "we" but I personally never said Tinker's Owl was a bad card just like I never said Flamewaker was a bad card. Definitely didn't think they would be so deck defining of course.

Grim Patron is a different case because of the bug. With the knowledge we had back then, Grim Patron wouldn't have been nearly as good if that bug stayed and almost everyone based their prediction off of that. They introduced that card while also fixing the bug. So that card is an outlier in terms of predictions.

I think most people definitely got Dr Balanced and Troggor wrong though. I expect people to correctly predict around 2/3rds of the cards and be wrong one 1/3rd of them.

Pooya

If I counted right, we've seen 39 cards so far, with the poll later and gamescom we probably see 70+ cards or even more/maybe all even if it's coming out next week. It should become clear how good TGT is soon. So far I still only feel like I need 4-5 cards out of 39 revealed...

Mulgrok

#brawltales

I was priest against mage.
Mage put up a secret so I thought, "I have the cards to try something stupid fun if that is mirror!"
Play majordomo and is mirrored
shadowword death him
silence my own domo
kill him
cackle maniacally

Question: Do arena drafts favour giving you cards you already own?

Whenever I watch videos of arena runs they seem to draft a larger array of cards. As a f2p scrub I draft mostly commons and rares I own. Is it just bad luck?

Raxus

If we get a cheap demon with charge, or a minion that makes a buff apply to all minions on the board it might make more sense.

Even then you are trading 2 cards with highly demanding prerequisites in order to make 1 card work. Might as well just run dark bomb. At least it is flexible. Warlock is getting kind of boned in this expansion but they kind of deserved it being one of the more flexible classes at this point and getting 2 great legendaries back to back.

Even then you are trading 2 cards with highly demanding prerequisites in order to make 1 card work. Might as well just run dark bomb. At least it is flexible. Warlock is getting kind of boned in this expansion but they kind of deserved it being one of the more flexible classes at this point and getting 2 great legendaries back to back.

You are right...but I still think there is a chance Warlock will get something completely bullshit, because Warlock.

I'm thinking +3 onto a board full of imps, that goes with a legendary demon that costs 3, and has charge (Because bloodlust costs 5 so it is consistent). Also it gives all your imps charge and generates imps.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
man, I just played a tavern brawl where nozdormu bullshit was real, literally ended my turn twice because the guy's actions took so long and bled into my turn, really lame way to lose.

Acinixys

This brawl is fun

2YnNC2f.jpg

2pJW5gp.jpg

Loomba

People that talk shit are they worst. Just played a guy that was spamming Oops because I couldn't kill his Emperor on the turn he put it out.

He put down a rag and on my empty board. Then I top decked a second tinker for Tinker x2 > Blade Flurry to kill him. Man I was happy.

Papercuts

I was just about to make a post about this card.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

It has quite a few implications/applications (though admittedly gimmicky):

*Play this card on turn 2, then play Wailing Soul on the following turn. Or silence it with Keeper of the Grove.

*Play this card with buffs on the following turn to keep it alive and make it an ever growing threat. If they silence it then you basically get to keep your extra mana crystal.

*Against aggro it's a much better Wild Growth option. You play it and the opponent has to deal with it rather than just going face or else they will be playing into a Swipe right after this card.

*This card soft counters Mirror Entity, Cabal Shadow Priest and Shadow Madness (if it dies on their side they lose the crystal) while nerfing Shredder slightly. All of that is good stuff in my book.

*Like stated it can be bounced back to re-enable the battle cry with Panda.

*This card is actually pretty decent in the mid/late game (not past turn 10 of course). You play this on turn 7 while it hides behind a taunt. You force a removal on it because if this card isn't removed then you threaten the FoN combo the following turn.

I really, really like the design of this card. Maybe it ends up being too good or maybe it ends up being crap... but I like it as a concept.

I think there might be some merit to recombobulator as well. Another way to avoid the deathrattle, and the card already meshes well with staples like Keeper and Lore. I would love to see recombob more often in general.

So I just started playing this and damn is it fun, but I do feel a bit lost naturally. I'm gonna check out some stuff in the OP but hopefully some folk here can help if I'm still not quite getting it.

I have no idea what I should be spending my gold on at this point. I also think I need to finally construct a deck because I'm getting destroyed using the default decks. I was doing pretty well at first but not anymore.

Rapstah

I really want to see the Shaman, Druid and Mage legendaries. I suspect those could be completely crazy if they don't go for the worst kind of Hero Power synergy, like the Shaman legendary being a 9 mana 9/7 with Inspire: unlock your Overloaded mana crystals. Druid got an attempt at a Beast Druid legendary last time, so maybe this time it's something else...

So I just started playing this and damn is it fun, but I do feel a bit lost naturally. I'm gonna check out some stuff in the OP but hopefully some folk here can help if I'm still not quite getting it.

I have no idea what I should be spending my gold on at this point. I also think I need to finally construct a deck because I'm getting destroyed using the default decks. I was doing pretty well at first but not anymore.
The basic decks are okay for beating the normal practice bots, nothing beyond that really. You can probably make an okay basic deck by copying the basic deck and replacing the awful cards like that 2/2 with Battlecry: deal 1 damage by the cards you unlock by levelling the class in question.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Watched Trump's intro videos yet? Mandatory watching imo. I got back into the game like 3 months ago after about a year off and it taught me so much that I never thought of when I first played. It's helped me stick to the game and really get into it this time.

The basic decks are okay for beating the normal practice bots, nothing beyond that really. You can probably make an okay basic deck by copying the basic deck and replacing the awful cards like that 2/2 with Battlecry: deal 1 damage by the cards you unlock by levelling the class in question.

There are also some decent basic only decks up on HearthPwn and stuff. Nothing amazing but obviously better than the defaults.

Having a fun arena run as a hunter atm. Hunter's mark, Amani Berserkers and a couple of Mad Bombers are playing well together. Upping my arena average. Consistently on like 4 wins atm, which to me is a nice improvement and progress. I feel like I'm actually starting to get how to play the Arena even if i still use HearthArena to help me draft.

EDIT: Whelp, another 4-3 run, can't seem to break over to 5 at the moment. Also I'm happy with a pack and 55G, but in what world is 20 dust a reward?

CoolOff

damn I suck at Arena

5 tries and best run was 5 wins :/

Anyone got tutorial vids for arena?

Watch ADWCTAs runs on his youtube channel. Pick a class you want to learn more about, he has like 50 runs uploaded.

Also, some of the older ones are before expansions and might not be as relevant.

Getting to 5 wins within your first 5 runs is probably above average, unless your deck was exceptionally strong.

Adwcta's guides from mid-late 2014 are here, and are as good a resource as any I've seen for understanding how Arena works. Start with "Play-Fundamentals". Obviously they don't discuss G&G or BRM cards, but the concepts haven't changed, and you'll get familiar with the good cards from those expansions pretty quickly anyway. As CoolOff said above, check out some of his videos on Youtube, especially any ArenaCoops from classes you're interested in mastering.

Try using HearthArena's drafting tier list or register with the site itself to use the program (you enter the offered cards, it suggests which card to pick and how closely together it rates the options based off its algorithms and card performance histories). HearthArena is really good for recording your runs even if you don't care too much for drafting with it.

Edit: But if you just want one paragraph to guide you, I think this is it: "This balancing act of tempo and value is 90% of what constitutes good play in HS Arena, and it will be different for each deck, and for each match. Because value plays are most easily broken down by what your opponent does the next turn, a good way to test yourself is to recognize each time you are making a value play in favor of a tempo play, and then check your work a turn later to see how much the missing tempo hurt you that next turn."

I would add that you should always try to work out why each match was won or lost. Sometimes you'll lose because you simply couldn't contest your opponent's early tempo plays and never had a chance to catch up (often fast Mages and Rogues). Sometimes you'll play for too much tempo and let your opponent swing the game back with forseeable cards like Mind Control Tech or Flamestrike (often Mages), or sometimes you'll play too slow and get overwhelmed by "burst tempo" (e.g. low curve Warlock drafts, most Hunters). Try not to fixate too much on big wins/losses because of top decks or lucky RNG, regardless of how exhilarating or rage-inducing they are.

Lyng

People that talk shit are they worst. Just played a guy that was spamming Oops because I couldn't kill his Emperor on the turn he put it out.

He put down a rag and on my empty board. Then I top decked a second tinker for Tinker x2 > Blade Flurry to kill him. Man I was happy.

This stuff use to really rile me up, but lately I have decided to just go the opposite route and be a good sport regardless of how they act.
It actually has helped me to not care about the BM.

I allways greet now and allways give the other player a well played. Even facehunters that spam sorry before lethal get a well played.

Papercuts

I typically wait a few seconds at the start, see if they say anything and say hello then squelch. Easier to mentally play if I pretend it's just a bot or something, though rope BM is still annoying as hell.

I keep it on for brawls since those are pretty much whatever though.

Watched Trump's intro videos yet? Mandatory watching imo. I got back into the game like 3 months ago after about a year off and it taught me so much that I never thought of when I first played. It's helped me stick to the game and really get into it this time.

There are also some decent basic only decks up on HearthPwn and stuff. Nothing amazing but obviously better than the defaults.

I think I'm gonna check out all the stuff in the OP when I wake up in the morning/afternoon. I just won 4 ranked matches in a row after constructing a couple of decks with just the basic shit and the class cards. I honestly feel like I got lucky on most of those matches. I just ended up drawing exactly what I needed at exactly the right time.

Raxus

You are right...but I still think there is a chance Warlock will get something completely bullshit, because Warlock.

I'm thinking +3 onto a board full of imps, that goes with a legendary demon that costs 3, and has charge (Because bloodlust costs 5 so it is consistent). Also it gives all your imps charge and generates imps.

They will no doubt. They got imps and they got Voidcaller (which completely changed Zoo to the midrange variant) so chances are good one of the new warlock cards could power up one of its many many many forms.

manhack

Thoughts of the day:

Dr. Boom and Mad Scientist are "overpowered", but I don't think they will ever get nerfed.

The patron warrior deck will receive a nerf. I don't believe the patrons are the major issue with the deck and I think it will be attached to frothing berzerker or battle rage. Warsong is part of the problem, but I think changing warsong may be too complicated.

Either:

• Frothing Berzerker: Whenever a Friendly minion takes damage, gain +1 Attack.
  • Battle Rage: Draw a card for each damaged friendly minion.

These nerfs would tone down the deck without killing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom