• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It didn't work at the beginning either. I played the Worgen version when Patron came out and wrote it off as a T3 deck that occasionally gets hilarious, because I love combos.

Ate a lot of crow in the ensuing months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I meant that I don't know what is a Math Warrior, thought you mispelled Mech

It wasn't a very commonly used name since the archetype never got off the ground. It revolved around similar ideas to Patron Warrior, but it just didn't quite have enough tools to work.

1-2 cards later and it roared to the #1 spot in the game. Similarly Twilight Guardian and Wyrmrest Agent made Dragon Priest from nigh unusable to incredibly strong.

Though winding this back to the start, Fjola and Eydis strike me as cards that are strong on their own merits, but lack the cards to make them work currently. I'd consider them differently from cards like The Beast which are unlikely to be good under any circumstance since they just don't deliver value on their own merits versus other available cards (for example, it stacks up horrendously to Savannah Highmane which has all the same Beast and Deathrattle synergies and fits the same mana cost).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just overkilled a warrior from 29hp a turn after he used brawl(I had a shredder on board when he used it).

#justdruidthings

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
1-2 cards later and it roared to the #1 spot in the game. Similarly Twilight Guardian and Wyrmrest Agent made Dragon Priest from nigh unusable to incredibly strong.
I actually feel like Dragon decks have kind of been leading the community to the wrong places. Control Priest seems stronger than Dragon Priest and people are only just starting to notice. Dragon deck types still have a lot of weaknesses and the benefits to playing the deck seem pretty marginal.

Pooya

playing dragon decks still feels awful, where are my dragons? situation happens way too often even with priest, still it's the most consistent of the bunch because of heal/card draw synergy, 1 drop dragon and good board clears. It's playable now but still not exactly amazing. I guess it's balanced, other classes are still terrible and far from a consistent deck.

Paladin one should work on paper, but man it doesn't. I'd rather just play mid range paladin, I don't have to worry about dragons then. There is really no point in playing dragon paladin.

Dahbomb

Started playing some Control Priest using double Holy Champion.

Deck has been doing work. Justicar Trueheart was the key all along.

Prototype

Been spending a lot more time with this game recently and finally am to the point that I'm ready to spend some money.

As a newer player where should I be spending my money?

Dahbomb

I wasn't really a fan of Holy Champion when I used it. Using Dark Cultist instead and I think I like it a little better.
In the deck that Holy Champion is being used, Blademaster is also used and if you are using both Dark Cultists and Blademaster that kinda clogs up your 3 drop slot.

Holy Champion is too essential in that deck though. It's a win condition in some cases. I have played a few games and I have had 3 minions in play (Auchenai, Blademaster and Holy Champion) and the Holy Champion always get priority removal over the other cards in the deck (except Ysera). People really respect the power of that card and rightfully so, just today I OTK'd someone with that card plus Light Warden.

In the deck that Holy Champion is being used, Blademaster is also used and if you are using both Dark Cultists and Blademaster that kinda clogs up your 3 drop slot.

Holy Champion is too essential in that deck though. It's a win condition in some cases. I have played a few games and I have had 3 minions in play (Auchenai, Blademaster and Holy Champion) and the Holy Champion always get priority removal over the other cards in the deck (except Ysera). People really respect the power of that card and rightfully so, just today I OTK'd someone with that card plus Light Warden.

I am running Blademasters, yeah. To be honest I never really felt like running both was a hindrance but I might give Holy Champion another try.

Mind sharing your list? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Just spend the $25 on that instead of buying $25 of packs?

The cards in Naxx are that good huh?

Adventures are more efficient money wise than packs. That's one of the big reasons.

Also Naxx has so many core cards. Zombie Chow, Mad Scientist, Haunted Creeper, Nerubian Egg, Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, Voidcaller, Death's Bite and others.

Prototype

Well I guess I'll pull the trigger then.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Edit
My plan originally was to just buy a bunch of classic packs

I wish my RNG was something remotely approaching normal tonight to do this stupid brawl quest. 3 mad bomber hits on the one minion I have with 3 health with 6 targets on board...

I am not even sure how then boom bots hit the face with 3-4 targets on board with 3 consecutive presses.

edit:
Brawl sometimes just sucks the literal life force out of you after playing it.

Dahbomb

I am running Blademasters, yeah. To be honest I never really felt like running both was a hindrance but I might give Holy Champion another try.

Mind sharing your list? I'd be interested in seeing it.
1x Zombie Chow
2x Circle of Healing
2x Cleric
2x Light of Naaru
2x Powerword Shield
2x Wild Pyromancer
1x Shrinkmeister
2x Shadow Death
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Thoughtsteal
2x Holy Champion
2x Auchenai
1x Holy Nova
2x Light Bomb
2x Cabal Shadow Priest
1x Sylvanas
1x Justicar
1x Dr Balanced
1x Ysera

I am basically trying different combinations of double Thoughsteals, double Holy Novas, double Shadow Deaths in there to see which is better... right now I like double Shadow Deaths because I feel I have enough AOE and draw is usually not an issue in this deck as long as you use the Clerics properly.

I might replace a Cabal with a Belcher or a Voljin. Confessor Paeltress is a good sub for Ysera as well but I don't have that card.

Raxus

So as I get gold I should just buy basic packs for a while since I just started?

Depends how bold you are.

In reality you should save all gold for arena since (on paper) you reap more rewards. You need to know the game pretty well to be consistent in arena though.

Adventures are necessary especially the first wing of BRM (contains Patron and Emperor) and tons of good stuff in Naxx but most encourage just paying real money for those.

As far as buying packs I'd probably favor Goblins vs Gnomes initially because of Dr. Boom and Piloted shredder. If you want to build a strong (cheap deck) then most of patron's other tools are in the base set.

clav

Finding that my deck dies to Face Hunter and Midrange Hunter a lot. Unleash the hounds + KJ combo followed by kill command just kills me every time.

5ju4VQQ.png

Any suggestions?

Currently, the fun slots are the Silver Hand Regent and Wild Pyromancer. I swap it out with Mind Control Tech, Faceless Manipulator, Cult Master, and Kezan Mystic depending on what I see.

I had Tuskarr Jouster instead of healbot for a while, but I wasn't winning anything.

Finding that my deck dies to Face Hunter and Midrange Hunter a lot. Unleash the hounds + KJ combo followed by kill command just kills me every time.

5ju4VQQ.png

Any suggestions?

Currently, the fun slots are the Silver Hand Regent and Wild Pyromancer. I swap it out with Mind Control Tech, Faceless Manipulator, Cult Master, and Kezan Mystic depending on what I see.

I had Tuskarr Jouster instead of healbot for a while, but I wasn't winning anything.

With paladin you really have to keep mindful of UTH value. Don't risk spamming the board if you can't survive the onslaught of hounds plus you need to recover, ie. heal and/or consecration.

You could stick a second healbot to help vs hunters. Could could also cut an equality. You could cut silver hand reagent. Add a second sludge belcher. Could cut shredder and replace with senjin shieldmasta.

There is a lot you can do, its really up to you on how far you want to go to beat hunter. The farther you go, typically you become weaker in other areas.

Your list looks like a cross between a midrange and a more conventional control paladin. It is probably bad vs fast hunters and okay against midrange hunters.

clav

With paladin you really have to keep mindful of UTH value. Don't risk spamming the board if you can't survive the onslaught of hounds plus you need to recover, ie. heal and/or consecration.

You could stick a second healbot to help vs hunters. Could could also cut an equality. You could cut silver hand reagent. Add a second sludge belcher. Could cut shredder and replace with senjin shieldmasta.

There is a lot you can do, its really up to you on how far you want to go to beat hunter. The farther you go, typically you become weaker in other areas.

Your list looks like a cross between a midrange and a more conventional control paladin. It is probably bad vs fast hunters and okay against midrange hunters.

Thanks.

The weird thing about ladder is though it's hard to find that deck that works in every matchup. A certain deck may be weak against one deck but may overpower a different kind.

I put down aldore peacekeeper on turn 3, too, and I still die. My losses are usually I hope hunter does not have this combo because you really can't play around them.

Since the season is early, I wanted to try different cards, so a hybrid is something that I wanted.

I am basically trying different combinations of double Thoughsteals, double Holy Novas, double Shadow Deaths in there to see which is better... right now I like double Shadow Deaths because I feel I have enough AOE and draw is usually not an issue in this deck as long as you use the Clerics properly.

I might replace a Cabal with a Belcher or a Voljin. Confessor Paeltress is a good sub for Ysera as well but I don't have that card.

Alright so I tried something similar to yours and I'm liking it so far. Holy Champions have been nice so far so maybe I just got put off by the lack of success before.

I took out a Shadow Word: Death for Vol'jin and a Cabal Shadow Priest for Sludge Belcher. Worried two Deaths and Vol'jin might be overkill. Also just spitballing but what do you think about cutting Sylvanas instead of Cabal? I know that probably seem blasphemous but I tend to notice a lot of decks running a bunch of small crap so Sylvanas feels less than stellar.

Also a bit surprised to see Dr. Boom in a Priest deck. I threw him in but haven't played him yet. Going to see how it does, which feels odd to say about Boom lol.

Hanzou

Depends how bold you are.

In reality you should save all gold for arena since (on paper) you reap more rewards. You need to know the game pretty well to be consistent in arena though.

Adventures are necessary especially the first wing of BRM (contains Patron and Emperor) and tons of good stuff in Naxx but most encourage just paying real money for those.

As far as buying packs I'd probably favor Goblins vs Gnomes initially because of Dr. Boom and Piloted shredder. If you want to build a strong (cheap deck) then most of patron's other tools are in the base set.
I am also new to the game but I cannot justify the price they are charging. The $50 for the two Adventures is about $65 Canadian. I am sorry bit the content just does not seem like enough for that price. But hey, that's how I feel and I will slowly chip away at them. About to buy wing 2 of naxxramas or wing one of black Rock, not sure which yet.

clav

I am also new to the game but I cannot justify the price they are charging. The $50 for the two Adventures is about $65 Canadian. I am sorry bit the content just does not seem like enough for that price. But hey, that's how I feel and I will slowly chip away at them. About to buy wing 2 of naxxramas or wing one of black Rock, not sure which yet.

More power to you.

If you're willing to spend the time, you can get everything without paying.

Any suggestions?

could put in a coghammer or sunfury

Sheroking

I've got most of the cards now except some of the classic legendaries.

If you had 2400+ dust and you wanted to craft one, which would you choose: Sylvannas, Rag or Alex.

inky

I've got most of the cards now except some of the classic legendaries.

If you had 2400+ dust and you wanted to craft one, which would you choose: Sylvannas, Rag or Alex.

Sylvannas for sure. Rag is not what he used to be, and Alex fits in less decks (if you are playing those -freeze mage, control warrior, etc.- it is essential tho).

squidyj

i swear to god it bases matchmaking on the deck you're playing.

Ugh, this fucking game is making hate life. I get shitty matchups 70% of the fucking time. I queue up a different deck to counter them? I GET NEW AND SHITTY MATCHUPS, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK BLIZZARD?
Every three game or so I get draws like "lol your patrons are the bottom 2 cards of your deck, lol you wanted a turn 1 or 2 play? your opening hand is boom loatheb highmane, ENJOY"

ZZMitch

Lol just played Fatigue Warrior vs. Fatigue Warrior. My deck was a bit more fatigue heavy then his deck so I ended up winning around turn 40 when I Crushed his Deathwing and left him with no cards.

The slow mans game.

Raxus

Keep in mind you get several of the best cards in the game from the adventures alone.

Emperor, Death's Bite, Unstable Ghoul, Quick Shot, Loatheb, Mad Scientist, etc. All from adventures.

If you don't want to spend the cash by all means take your time. It is free after all and earning gold in the game isn't terribly difficult.

Win 30 games a day + Quests and you'll earn enough gold to but a wing and then some. It just depends how much time/patience you have.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know, even though everybody says Thunder Bluff Valiant is a great card, the fact that everybody plays around it kind of makes it worse. Even Face Hunters are killing my totems. I've actually considered cutting it from my deck entirely since I can never get activations off. So it makes just as much of an impact out of my deck as in my deck.

Dahbomb

You know, even though everybody says Thunder Bluff Valiant is a great card, the fact that everybody plays around it kind of makes it worse. Even Face Hunters are killing my totems. I've actually considered cutting it from my deck entirely since I can never get activations off. So it makes just as much of an impact out of my deck as in my deck.
Any card that has to be played around is a good card. That's the rule of thumb for the game.

It's like saying I should cut Quartermaster from my Paladin decks because everyone plays around by clearing all the recruits.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's like saying I should cut Quartermaster from my Paladin decks because everyone plays around by clearing all the recruits.

Shaman doesn't have Muster for Totems, though.

Quartermaster would be basically unplayable without Muster for Battle.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The strength of Quartermaster is really the threat of Quartermaster than anything else. Because Pallies have QM, every class will go to extreme lengths to clear recruits, and you might not be running any Quarters at all.

Just had a control pal match vs fatigue warrior. I mean, I was ahead, quite far ahead, from around turn 6 when I used my justicar first. Yet the game dragged out for another 15 turns. He never got a single minion to stick for the rest of the game. I don't even think he understood how far behind he was cause he would have quit out. I mean, I was up by 6-7 cards the entire game with board control and initiative. His deck turned out to be really bad tbh.

The strength of Quartermaster is really the threat of Quartermaster than anything else. Because Pallies have QM, every class will go to extreme lengths to clear recruits, and you might not be running any Quarters at all.

I think the same can be said of totems. Each totem they remove has gained you some health at least and valiant is quite strong in longer games.

I suppose one difference is that they might be playing around FTT before valiant even enters their mind tbh.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I remember this happened a lot post GVG where I didn't actually get any from packs but still ran double muster and yeah, the threat of the guy was enough as people went nuts trying to clear, though there were still ugly late game scenarios where I really actually needed more than a bluff.

That said, I have always cleared totems vs. shaman even before TGT. They always still have stuff like flametongue and tend to specifically run sticky stuff like creeper to have targets for it. And the ever looming real threat, totemic might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom