• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Crowd Favorite is basically the old Undertaker for Battle Cry minions. Only it comes out at turn 4 instead of turn 1 which makes it not broken.

Note that many of the powerful cards in the game are Battlecry minions. Dr Balanced, Alex, BGH, Fire Elemental, many Druid cards, Defender of Argus, Ooze, Harrison, TBK, the Warlock cards with the drawbacks, Dark Iron Dwarf etc.

IMO this card is fair. Imagine if this was a 1/2 at 1 mana. Follow it up with Flame Juggler to make it 2/3, then Shattered Sun, then Dark Iron then Defender of Argus to win the game.

CoolOff

Crowd Favorite is basically the old Undertaker for Battle Cry minions. Only it comes out at turn 4 instead of turn 1 which makes it not broken.

Note that many of the powerful cards in the game are Battlecry minions. Dr Balanced, Alex, BGH, Fire Elemental, many Druid cards, Defender of Argus, Ooze, Harrison, TBK, the Warlock cards with the drawbacks, Dark Iron Dwarf etc.

IMO this card is fair.

Which ones? :)

georly

I mean this guy gets activated by literally every single card, can be played earlier, and doesn't get play at all, so why would this new one? Because it starts +2/+2 higher?

hbr2vVR.png

Malice215

I feel like every single card this set is *OFF* somewhere by one.

Like, either it's one stat short from being good, or one mana too expensive. A single +1 or -1 somewhere on the card would make most (or just some) of these cards go from unplayable to playable.

If crowd favorite were +2/+2 it'd actually get used somewhere. or even +2/+1

I feel the same way. Just an adjustment by one would let these cards see play in constructed instead of being meh. Crowd Favorite is not bad to me, but it's not great which is what's needed for constructed.

I also think this expansion will go the same route as GvG where we may get a card that's an auto include, some good cards that will get play here and there, and dozens of cards that don't get played because of the meta.

I am excited for some of the cards for Druid. I may end up playing Arena more than constructed if the meta doesn't change.

gutshot

I mean this guy gets activated by literally every single card, can be played earlier, and doesn't get play at all, so why would this new one? Because it starts +2/+2 higher?

hbr2vVR.png

2/2 for 3 is a lot worse than 4/4 for 4.

Coining out a Crowd Favorite on turn 3 is a pretty strong play, it will be hard to remove immediately but because of its potential to grow, it demands an immediate answer. I'm coming around from below average card to potentially playable in the right deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Questing Adventurer needs you to play 3 cards on the same turn to really be good. People usually dont play that many cards at once. If Questing Adventurer started out as a 3/3 it would be insane.

Crowd favorite isn't trash but it does require that you basically build a deck around it. And I think zoo is lower on battlecries than it used to be.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I feel like every single card this set is *OFF* somewhere by one.

Like, either it's one stat short from being good, or one mana too expensive. A single +1 or -1 somewhere on the card would make most (or just some) of these cards go from unplayable to playable.

This is true of basically every card that doesn't see play. Silverback Patriarch as a 2/4 would be playable. Magma Rager wouldn't be the worst card in the game as a 5/2. Any 2 drop that's is a 3/3 with no downside would be OP. Master Swordsmith and Mana Addict would be some of the strongest 2 drops in the game as 2/3s. Card balance really is razor thin when working with numbers in the single digits.

I wonder if Blizzard will ever consider nerfing Shredder. It would certainly be nice to not have a de facto 4 drop for almost every deck.

If they nerfed it, lowering the damage to 3 would be ideal. So many cards are played/not played because they can't survive the hit. It trades up to insane degree - it even kills it's own big bro, Sky Golem.

Dahbomb

A card like Savage Combatant is amazing on paper and would've been a staple 4 drop for Druid back in the day when they used to play Yeti in their decks....

Only now it won't get used because of Shredder. Fuck Shredder.

Savage Combatant IMO is still a very good card. It's a pseudo Fire Elemental you can play early without the Battlecry or you can play on turn 6 for the benefit. And if it survives a turn then you get added benefit from the card.

Raxus

Shredder did kill off all yeti play. At this point it is more why bother with Yeti outside of arena. However I am so so on a nerf since most decks know how to play around it now and tons of new 2 drops means the pool for getting something good just got all the more diluted.

It does kill any excitement with a x/4 minion though since it enters the range of 'can get killed by shredder AND flamestrike'

Yeah I don't like piloted shredder for the same reason I don't like BGH. Makes too many cards unplayable.
difference being BGH is necessary evil, Piloted Shredder is just too good to run any other 4 drop due to it being a super sticky minion. Adding mech on top of it adds insult to injury.

Pooya

Playing a gimmicky arcane golem warlock deck.

power overwhleming + faceless combo for 24 damage from hand with empty board. Running ET over it, it only cost 6 mana. Pretty fun, almost as good as patron and people don't see it coming :b

I'm aware it's not exactly a new idea!

G.ZZZ

Yeah shredder should've been a 4/2. 4/3 is way too resilient. Actually i just want an excuse to play scarlet purifier
dac15_blush.gif

Dahbomb

Piloted minion for every mana slot!

2 mana Piloted mech: 2/1 Deathrattle Summon a random 0 drop minion
3 mana Piloted mech: 3/2 Deathrattle Summon a random 1 drop minion
5 mana Piloted mech: 5/3 Deathrattle summon a random 3 drop minion
7 mana Piloted mech: 7/5 Deathrattle summon a random 5 drop minion
9 mana Piloted mech: 9/7 Deathrattle summon a random 7 drop minion

Also we need a Piloted mech that summons a random Epic minion! And a Piloted mech that summons a random Rare minion!

RANDOM MINIONS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Opiate

We need ultimate nesting: the skygolem dropping a shredder isn't enough.

Although skygolem->shredder->haunted creeper is pretty sweet.

So, I've tried venturing outside of my cushy Priest deck and have started a mill Rogue deck, probably the second most annoying deck behind playing against another thoughtsteal/card steal priest.

However, my question is, is there a way to win consistently as a mill Rogue? I have King Muka and Coldlight oracle as my staples w/ helper cards like Gallywix and loatheb but I can't get a good streak going and I'm stuck in rankings at level 17.

Any suggestions?

Also we need a Piloted mech that summons a random Epic minion! And a Piloted mech that summons a random Rare minion!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12833-1426647088-9.gif

Dahbomb

New Legendary mech summon a random Epic minion

Sneeds Old Shredder -> This new Mech -> Piloted Sky Golem -> Piloted Shredder -> Some 2 drop Shredder -> Some 1 drop Shredder

Dreavus

Shredder's stats are very good for the upside it gives you. I'm tempted to say that the value of having a minion pop out on death was mis-evaluated by the balance team. 4 attack lets it trade with so much and you still get to keep a body on the board. Being a mech is all upside too. I could see a -1 stat point on either side.

I don't know if they'd be worth playing with the way ranked is set up, but I wonder if they'll introduce more "hate" cards. We have a few for deathrattle, one bad one for beasts, but nothing that goes after mechs or (lol) dragons yet.

georly

Sneeds Old Shredder -> This new Mech -> Piloted Sky Golem -> Piloted Shredder -> Some 2 drop Shredder -> Some 1 drop Shredder

what about the super shredder: Summon a random piloted mech! Even itself!

ViviOggi

TGT cancelled, Shredder expansion incoming

embalm

2 mana Spectral Spider seems a little over powered when you think of it that way. You get two 0 mana minions instead!

3 mana shredder would be more powerful than Harvest Golem. Better attacks to trade up. 1 mana minions is usually better than generic 2/1.

What's funny is that all of the great death rattle cards also have Tribe synergy on top of it.

So, I've tried venturing outside of my cushy Priest deck and have started a mill Rogue deck, probably the second most annoying deck behind playing against another thoughtsteal/card steal priest.

However, my question is, is there a way to win consistently as a mill Rogue? I have King Muka and Coldlight oracle as my staples w/ helper cards like Gallywix and loatheb but I can't get a good streak going and I'm stuck in rankings at level 17.

Any suggestions?

Mill Rogue is wildly inconsistent and is particularly bad in an aggro heavy meta. Eboladin and Face Hunter (although Face Hunter is much less common these days) will thank you for the extra card draw and will steam roll you by turn 5 no matter how perfectly you draw. If you want consistency, you need to move to a new deck.

Mill Rogue is wildly inconsistent and is particularly bad in an aggro heavy meta. Eboladin and Face Hunter (although Face Hunter is much less common these days) will thank you for the extra card draw and will steam roll you by turn 5 no matter how perfectly you draw. If you want consistency, you need to move to a new deck.

Thank you for the analysis. I was attributing the lack of consistency to missing a few key cards. But, when I think back, most of my wins have come against much slower/build-up decks.

Ok, question - I'm still very new to this game but I've read most of the OP and checked out a bunch of the stuff in it, but I don't know if there was any mention of what to do with my gold. I did read that I should buy packs instead of doing arena this early on, but I didn't read anywhere if I should save up to buy those extra adventure mode quests or whatever. You can buy those, right? 700 gold I think I read somewhere. I have just under 600 and I figure it wouldn't take me long to get to 700.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I kind of wonder how powerful a russian stacking doll style minion would actually be if it were predictable.

5/5 that deathrattles into a 4/4 that deathrattles into a 3/3 that deathrattles into a 2/2 that deathrattles into a 1/1.

How much mana would you be willing to pay for this card? Sure the stats are insane but silence destroys most of its value.

You would also do a 'splitting' minion.

8/8 deathrattle summons two 4/4s each of which deathrattle into 2 2/2s each of which deathrattle into 2 1/1s

daemissary

I kind of wonder how powerful a russian stacking doll style minion would actually be if it were predictable.

5/5 that deathrattles into a 4/4 that deathrattles into a 3/3 that deathrattles into a 2/2 that deathrattles into a 1/1.

How much mana would you be willing to pay for this card? Sure the stats are insane but silence destroys most of its value.

7 or 8. I would say 8 for sure but Dr Boom is 7 so who knows.

Cat Party

Ok, question - I'm still very new to this game but I've read most of the OP and checked out a bunch of the stuff in it, but I don't know if there was any mention of what to do with my gold. I did read that I should buy packs instead of doing arena this early on, but I didn't read anywhere if I should save up to buy those extra adventure mode quests or whatever. You can buy those, right? 700 gold I think I read somewhere. I have just under 600 and I figure it wouldn't take me long to get to 700.

It's 700 per wing of each adventure. I believe there are 5 wings for each adventure, so it's a total of 7000 gold. Or you buy the whole adventure for $25 each. The cards from the adventures are good, especially Naxxramas, so if you're willing to spend some money, buy that adventure first.

700 gold gets you a single wing of an adventure. There are 5 wings per adventure, so 3,500 gold to buy one whole adventure, 7,000 for both. That's a whole lot of gold, and you'll be stuck with the exact same collection the whole time that you're saving up to get the adventures. Also, the conversion from real money to gold is way more favorable when you spend real money on the adventures than if you spend it on packs. You're probably best off buying classic packs for a while, and if you still like the game, either start saving for the adventures then or pay for them with cash. Of the two adventures, Naxx is easily the better value based on the quality of cards that you get.

CoolOff

If you spend any money on the game, buy the adventures. They are way more expensive in gold compared to real money relative to the ratio for packs.

If you're just starting out getting them with gold, I'd advice you to aim for this order for the adventures:

1st Naxx-wing (Haunted Creeper and Nerubian Egg)
2nd Naxx-wing (Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, Duplicate, Webspinner)
1st BRM-wing (Emperor Thaurissian, Quick Shot)

Then the second BRM-wing has a really strong Warlock-card in Imp Gang Boss, but the really, really important stuff is in Naxx 4th wing with Mad Scientist, Zombie Chow, Death's Bite, and Dark Cultist.

If you're choosing between the two adventures overall, Naxx is way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom