• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Running two of these cards is like having a fiery war axe and a shield block, but you sacrifice the card draw on the shield block for only 1 extra armor.

I'm not saying it's a bad card, it's just not great for warrior since they have cards that already kind of do this. Like, maybe you swap out the shield blocks for this in a very fast meta where you don't need the shield slam combo to hit as hard and card draw isn't as important. You run this when you need a lot more smaller removal rather than armor and cards. This might help if mech mage came back in popularity or something.

That said, I think it's a great pickup for warrior in arena. Lord knows they need the help there.

Xanathus

By that logic nobody would run shadow bomb, wrath, frost bolt, or quickshot. Every class that has a 3 damage spell runs it because they're good. Yes, this one is 1 mana more expensive, but warrior is a slow deck, and can afford be 1 mana slower in exchange for the 3 armor. Nothing warrior runs lets you 1 for 1 a shredder anyway, but this at least lets you take it out in 1 turn easier.

Those cards are fine for those types of decks because they're lower curved and faster, control warrior is a slow deck that requires getting value from it's cards and trades in order to win. It's fine if you want to play it in a tempo warrior deck but in control it gets you less value than even Slam.

Xanathus

English version
mWq6WuR.png

Dahbomb

This card is OK at best. Warrior already has very efficient removal in the form of Execute, Shield Slam and Fiery War Axe/Death's Bite. So it's kinda redundant and will not really find a place in the Control Warrior arsenal IMO. The good thing about it is that you can at least hit face with it so it might be useful for some reach... maybe.

Oh and King's Defender as well... LULZ!

Nothing warrior runs lets you 1 for 1 a shredder anyway, but this at least lets you take it out in 1 turn easier.
Fiery War Axe/Death's Bite can usually 1/1 a Shredder.

Running two of these cards is like having a fiery war axe and a shield block, but you sacrifice the card draw on the shield block for only 1 extra armor.

Um, no, think of it as also gaining you the card your opponent spent on the minion.

It's straight up better than Shield Block in any matchup where 3 damage can remove a relevant minion.

Deck velocity (cycling) is valuable but against an aggro/mid-range deck this is like drawing a guaranteed Shield Slam with your Shield Block, which is better.

Dahbomb

If you can remove a minion with 3 health you can just use Fiery War Axe instead.

Shield Slam at the bare minimum can gain you 2 health and deal two damage if you just hero power and use SS. At the high end it can remove a really big minion for just 1 mana.

If you can remove a minion with 3 health you can just use Fiery War Axe instead.

Shield Slam at the bare minimum can gain you 2 health and deal two damage if you just hero power and use SS. At the high end it can remove a really big minion for just 1 mana.

You still run Shield Slam obviously.

I would argue this is straight up better than Shield Block against any aggro deck and many mid-range decks.

Shield Block can even be a dead card in the super late fatigue match, though I still think it's probably better in control matchups.

ZealousD

Um, no, think of it as also gaining you the card your opponent spent on the minion.

Fiery War Axe gives you two 3-damage removals for 1 card. So, one Fiery War Axe gives you 2 removals, equal to the 2 removals of having two Bashes. So the other benefit of Bash is the armor. Two Bashes get you 6 armor, just slightly more than the armor of a single shield block. I guess the other thing to mention is that if you are using Fiery War Axe for removal that you're going to take some face damage, so really with Bash you're avoiding some face damage.

Basically the point I'm making is that having both Fiery War Axe and Shield Block kind of accomplishes what Bash is trying to do. Removal + Armor. Arguably that combo does it a bit better because the removal comes earlier with Fiery War Axe and you aren't doing two things at once. That's kind of why I think Bash only works in the case where you need a lot of removal in your deck, so you would run BOTH Fiery War Axe and Bash. And then you wouldn't run Shield Block, because you need tempo more than you need cards.

. And then you wouldn't run Shield Block, because you need tempo more than you need cards.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I'm just trying to point out that this doesn't lose you a card vs. Shield Block in any match where you are removing a relevant minion with the 3 damage. In those matchups, this is basically Shield Block where the draw is guaranteed to be a 0 mana Shield Slam. And in some cases it will be really excellent, like when your opponent has Knife Juggler + Voidwalker or Mechwarper + Annoy-o-Tron.

ZealousD

Actually, you guys remember how Control Warrior use to run Cleave? In the case where the meta becomes fast enough that you need so much more removal to the point where you are running Bash, wouldn't Cleave actually be a bit stronger? Once you take Cleave into consideration it's like the meta would have to be where the faster deck is running a fair bit of 3 health minions, like Mech Mage or.... Zoo?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bash might make sense for aggro Warrior decks that are hanging out just below the meta.

Actually, you guys remember how Control Warrior use to run Cleave? In the case where the meta becomes fast enough that you need so much more removal to the point where you are running Bash, wouldn't Cleave actually be a bit stronger? Once you take Cleave into consideration it's like the meta would have to be where the faster deck is running a fair bit of 3 health minions, like Mech Mage or.... Zoo?

Cleave has too much of a chance of doing dumb crap like killing eggs and Haunted Spiders. Or hitting a voidwalker. Or leaving a Shredder @ 1. Oh and you can't even use it if they have one minion, so a T2 lone Juggler can't be Cleaved. If you want to kill a swarm of stuff you just run WW or Revenge which Control Warrior decklists still do currently.

Dahbomb

You know what Warrior can actually use?

A reverse Bouncing Blade where it bounces for a specific amount on enemy minions only (sort of like Avenging Wrath but not hit face). Would give them a decent AOE option.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I'm just trying to point out that this doesn't lose you a card vs. Shield Block in any match where you are removing a relevant minion with the 3 damage. In those matchups, this is basically Shield Block where the draw is guaranteed to be a 0 mana Shield Slam. And in some cases it will be really excellent, like when your opponent has Knife Juggler + Voidwalker or Mechwarper + Annoy-o-Tron.

The problem is the way control warrior loses is by getting denied card draw.

If you run this you are losing two draws, which needs to be replaced.

johnsmith

remember me
The problem is the way control warrior loses is by getting denied card draw.

If you run this you are losing two draws, which needs to be replaced.

Please show your math.

Shield Block is not card draw. It's cycling/shield slam enabler/health gain only. 1 card used, 1 card drawn = 0 net card draw.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Warrior could run this as a singleton.

Good back and forth on bash, I think I'm gonna run it for sure

That other new card is weird as heck. You have to empty your hand, get a 1 hp minion to stick on the board, AND hero power?

It's like they want hunter curve to max out at 2

Dahbomb

Great art on this card.

The card itself is actually legitimately horrible unless you can get multiple activations off with the hero power.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This one is so incredibly situational that it's hard to imagine a meta or even player progression point where this card would be useful.

Like it's one thing for a card to be useful in a different meta, have obvious future synergy a year or so down the road, be good in arena, or at least be good for new players, but this kind of thing seems improbable to ever have a remotely consistent use case.

Don't think I have ever seen anyone get a card drawn from Quick Shot and I have never seen Core Rager and this looks worse then both so lol?

Just lost to face priest, rank 19 stories

Shadowboxer + velen played on curve is preetttty goood

Dahbomb

Don't think I have ever seen anyone get a card drawn from Quick Shot and I have never seen Core Rager and this looks worse then both so lol?
People get card draws from Quick Shots all the time (both on Ranked and in high level tournament plays). It's just not that often and even when it is done it usually doesn't impact the game that much because when it happens it usually means that the Hunter is trying to scumbag a win out of a losing situation. The true strength of Quickshot is that it's a good card even without that added draw benefit. Cards like this 2/1 and Core Rager are awful without the effect and are thus bad cards.

But when that Quick shot draw gets the Hunter a lethal it's among the scummiest things in the game. The ultimate scumbaggery is Quickshot into Quickshot into Skill Command aka the Hunter dream!

Eh, at first thought you see how situational it is. But really that amount of damage off a 1 drop is quite crazy and especially since it can be used multiple times. Get that dude that lets you hero power twice plus the 1 drop, you're talking 8 damage. Something that good has to be situational.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why play brave archer when you can feel icky instead.

The card art for this set has been on point though, really love the look of most of the cards.

Xanathus

Brave Archer is obviously meant to be a replacement for Worgen Infiltrator. You play Worgen for a guaranteed 2 damage to face, and Brave Archer serves a similar purpose if played on turn 1 if you're going against a class that doesn't have an easy way to ping, but it's also a great card to play mid-late game because then it's ALSO 2 damage guaranteed with hero power and then it just gets better if it stays alive. You play this along with Leper Gnomes, it's not a replacement for those.

Dahbomb

Eh, at first thought you see how situational it is. But really that amount of damage off a 1 drop is quite crazy and especially since it can be used multiple times. Get that dude that lets you hero power twice plus the 1 drop, you're talking 8 damage. Something that good has to be situational.
For this card to be usable the following has to line up:

1) You get this card in a late enough stage of the game where this is in your hand and you have played out the rest of your hand (or are able to on that turn) plus you have the 2 mana to hero power.

2) You are also able to some how use your hero power more than once in a turn which means from the cards that we know of in the pool it means that you need the Garrison Commander to also be in play or in your hand.

Ok so I can use that situational 2 card combo to deal 8 damage in a turn... or I can use two Arcane Golems instead for 10 damage instead.

squidyj

I don't think brave archer would find a place in any existing deck, and I haven't seen the cards that would make it work but it's possible there's a combo deck it'll fit into.

kinger256

They should have just removed the no hand requirement. I don't see quickshot being played without an empty hand that often, so this is pretty much a 2/1 without the guaranteed 2 damage worgen or leper gives you.

Poison Blade, Demonfuse level bad.

Dahbomb

They should have just removed the no hand requirement. I don't see quickshot being played without an empty hand that often, so this is pretty much a 2/1 without the guaranteed 2 damage worgen or leper gives you.

Poison Blade, Demonfuse level bad.
If they removed the no hand requirement then the card might be too good in a burn deck.

Especially if there was a way to get multiple hero powers off in one turn.

I would rather a card like this be shit than good. If this card was good it would basically just promote yet another shitty Face Hunter deck archetype.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I know it can happen on Face Hunter and stuff but I still don't like the idea of a card that almost encourages you to start top-decking.

For this card to be usable the following has to line up:

1) You get this card in a late enough stage of the game where this is in your hand and you have played out the rest of your hand (or are able to on that turn) plus you have the 2 mana to hero power.

2) You are also able to some how use your hero power more than once in a turn which means from the cards that we know of in the pool it means that you need the Garrison Commander to also be in play or in your hand.

Ok so I can use that situational 2 card combo to deal 8 damage in a turn... or I can use two Arcane Golems instead for 10 damage instead.

I am talking about a hunter deck that works off inspire, not face hunter. Seeing as the deck doesn't exist it is hard to argue for or against the card. I understand everything you've said, I even pointed out it is situational strength. But yeah, that situational strength is quite high since we're talking about a 1 mana minion. I can't imagine what type of deck it might work in quite yet, but likely not face hunter even though it is a potentially high amount of bonus damage in the late game where it would be used.

I know it can happen on Face Hunter and stuff but I still don't like the idea of a card that almost encourages you to start top-decking.

You must really hate zoo/doomguard then :)

From Hearthpwn :

New card: Gadgetzan Jouster 1/2 (1 mana) - Battlecry: Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more, gain +1/+1
New card: Armored Warhorse 5/3 (4 mana) - Battlecry: Reveal a minion in each deck.If yours costs more, gain Charge.
New card: Eadric the Pure (Legendary Paladin) 3/7 (7 mana) - Battlecry: Change all enemy minions' attack to 1.
The Skeleton Knight (Legendary neutral) 7/4 for 6 - Deathrattle: Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more, return this to your hand
Tuskarr Jouster (rare neutral) 5/5 for 5 mana - Battlecry: Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more, restore 7 Health to your hero

Edit :

Master Jouster (rare neutral) 5/6 for 6 - Battlecry : Reveal a minion in each deck. If yours costs more, gain Taunt and Divine Shield.

Finally doing some reveal mechanics huh? These look kind of interesting, the effects are very strong. Reveal doesn't really sound so strong since you can probably figure out what kind of deck they are running pretty early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom