• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

The few Druids cards we have seen are among the better class cards showcased so far.

Savage Combatant is good.
The ramp 2/3 card is amazing.
The Druid of the Saber (Bluegill or Gilbin Stalker) is decent.
The Legendary is potentially insane.

Only fair considering the absolute trash Druid got in GvG.

Dahbomb

Shaman got quite a few good cards too. Really depends on how strong the Totem archetype is.

Also we are about half way through the entire card pool for TGT.

But Gallywix is actually a great card that doesn't fit into its class. If Rogue ever gets the tools to play a control game he's an auto-include. Anub'Arak on the other hand is garbage in any deck.

Didn't say that any of the Rogue legendaries were garbage. They just never see play including Gallywix which is a great card in the wrong place and Van Cleef which is also good.

Anub'rak is garbage though like you said.

Opiate

Shaman got quite a few good cards too. Really depends on how strong the Totem archetype is.

Also we are about half way through the entire card pool for TGT.

Yes, the only card I've seen so far that isn't conditional -- that is, they aren't components of some particular build or deck -- is Tuskgarr Totemic. If you are playing Shaman, it should almost certainly be in your deck as a Shaman. If it's an agro style deck, it works. If it's slow, it works, too. I think a comparison would be to something like Piloted Shredder; Shredders are put in all types of decks because their value is so high. Same with the Totemic.

Dahbomb

Yes, the only card I've seen so far that isn't conditional -- that is, they aren't components of some particular build or deck -- is Tuskgarr Totemic. If you are playing Shaman, it should almost certainly be in your deck as a Shaman. If it's an agro style deck, it works. If it's slow, it works, too. I think a comparison would be to something like Piloted Shredder; Shredders are put in all types of decks because their value is so high. Same with the Totemic.
Totem Golem too. At the minimum it's just a very powerful 2 drop that can be used in any Shaman deck really. The Totem tribe is just an added bonus for it. Its existence also make Tuskgarr Totemic really good.

If it weren't for Totem Golem I wouldn't have cared much for Tuskgar but the fact that Totem Golem exists means that Tuskgar's early game value could be game winning.

Dahbomb

How is that rogue 5 mana 6/7 "bad"?
It's good enough for Arena but not good enough for Constructed. The real problem is that it just doesn't fit into any Rogue archetype. It's a midrange card but Rogue has no reason to play Midrange.

You kinda need a lot more Midrange cards that are strong for Rogue for it to be worth it to run that card. Either that or cards that buff up Rogue minions or allow them to bring them out quicker. This card would be quite good if say Rogue had a Prep equivalent for minions.

embalm

There has to be a combo enabler/preperation for minions coming for Rogues. They are stacked with great minions, but the class needs something to get them out.

What about this:

Peon - 1 mana 2/1
Inspire: Add a coin to your hand.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rogue kinda needs more healing and cheap removals. Something like Bash would work really well in Rogue I think. 3 mana. Deal 3 damage. Combo: Restore 5 health to your hero.

Dahbomb

Guys I got it:

f07cd4e0.png

AAWWW YISSS!!!!!

Turn 1 with coin, Coin, Tactical Rush... the Panda minion for 6/7!

Kettch

I'm actually really excited about Ancestral Knowledge. Yes, it's pricey on it's own, but it's finally a consistent form of card draw for Shaman, something we badly needed. This guarantees you two cards, whereas Mana Tide guaranteed you just 1, and if you happened to have board control, one of your opponent's removal cards.

I'm finally going to enjoy putting a new Shaman deck together.

Parshias7

Does Aviana make Wisp cost 1? I'm tired of all these heavy-handed nerfs Blizzard keeps handing down. The Hobgoblin + Wisp + Aviana dream is dead.

EmiPrime

If I am not lucky enough to get Eadric and Aviana in my 50 packs I will craft them on the spot. Nice to see some good cards and the Joust mechanic looks like fun.

ZealousD

Eadric seems kinda bad to me. You have to humiliate something like 3-4 minions to get value. And it is just bad against Shaman. I think I would only run him if Handlock became like the number 1 deck on ladder.

Eric WK

Welp, that's nice I suppose. Rank 5 is fairly easy to hit.

Aw man, speak for yourself.

Last summer was the last time I really played constructed and topped out at Rank 2 or 3 maining Ramp Druid. Just came back and crafted Midrange Druid, Midrange Hunter, Patron and Aggro Paladin and I can't break away from Rank 14. I was Rank 12 on Sunday for a bit, but now I just can't break .500.

A quarter of the time I lose I'm pretty sure it's RNG, another quarter of the time I know exactly the mistake I made, and the final half of the time I just have no fucking clue.

It's super disheartening right now, because I've been getting excited about Hearthstone again, but I feel like my play has completely deteriorated.

Dahbomb

Are the new rewards going to apply for August? The expansion releases in August so technically it should apply for August as well.

If so I guess I should start the Ladder run now.

Rogue and Druid legendaries revealed.

Blocked at work. Can someone repost the picture or write up the stats please? I'm feeling a bit lost.

Edit: Nevermind, reddit hooked me up.

The 9 mana 5/5 your minions cost 1 sounds cool. You have to play it on turn 10 though, but it can straight up win you the game.

Eadric seems kinda bad to me. You have to humiliate something like 3-4 minions to get value. And it is just bad against Shaman. I think I would only run him if Handlock became like the number 1 deck on ladder.

And even then, Paladins already matchup well against Handlock.

EmiPrime

He's an instant pick in control paladin decks and nobody plays shaman. :p

Dahbomb

What's the reaction to the joust mechanic in here? Seems like a cool idea.
It's a cool idea because it promotes slower decks over aggro decks and works like a natural counter to aggro.

It still relies on RNG but it's a more reliable form of RNG and it's at worse a coin toss.

Pretty disappointed with how bad Anub'arak is. With that said, crazy ramp druid is absolutely going to be a thing, likely including several joust cards

ZealousD

He's an instant pick in control paladin decks and nobody plays shaman. :p

He's pretty bad if you only humiliate 1 card, then you paid 4 mana for 4hp. You have to humilty either 2 very large minions (like 6+ attack) or 3-4 smaller minions for it to be substantial. You have to be very far behind to play him. Meanwhile, Dr. Boom is a clear threat to basically anything and can be played at any time.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I think it will just be used differently than people expect. It's a finisher that lets a midrange deck push all in.

The difference in my mind is the way my agressive/midrange paladin used peacekeepers compared to how a control deck uses peacekeepers. A control deck plays peacekeeper and then uses the lowered attack to make efficient trades and keep their opponent's board clear. Whereas the way I would use them in a more agressive deck is peacekeeper their 3-5 attack minion and then go all in on face and win the damage race.

If you and your opponent both have minions on board and you play boom and go face, your opponent BGH's your boom, uses his current minions to kill yours, and then takes control of the game. Whereas Eadric in this situation can't be answered except by a massive board clear. And the 3/7 body is going to stick around for buffing.

I'm not 100% convinced it will work yet. I need to experiment with it. But on paper I like it a lot.

Opiate

And even then, Paladins already matchup well against Handlock.

This is actually the biggest problem I have with the Paladin legendary. Paladins are already really good at dealing with a board full of nasty minions, either through equality concecrate or argent protector. At some point, there are diminishing returns.

I feel like this Paladin legendary is great in a deck that doesn't just want a favorable matchup against Handlock, it wants to positively murder them. This will accomplish that goal.

Pooya

yeah I said it earlier, mass humility isn't as good as it seems. Paladin has the best board clears, they can clear anything, humility is only good for trades and peace keepers do a fine job at that. This card really isn't very useful.

CoolOff

Nox suggested an ultra Healadin with Tuskarr Jouster running it, Healbots, and Guardian of Kings. If you add the new legendary, play Seal of Light, Muster, the new 2 mana weapon, Equality, Consecrate, you could have a minion-curve that starts really, really high.

V-Faction

So I've finally caught up with the new news. First off, let's get the big one out of the way...

ANCESTRAL KNOWLEDGE.

Literally, "what were they thinking." Holy shit, Blizzard, is this a hilarious joke? I was curious to see what the first Shaman spell would be this expansion (seeing as how they blew their load with minions day 1), and I was hoping for something Card Draw related on top of it, but this... this is disgusting. 2-freakin'-Overload? For a card where you could potentially screw yourself over by not being able to play the very card(s) you drew? I am so sick of Shamans being a Mage-lite class. Actually, scratch that, Shamans are more like Mage-Lite Lime Flavor because the Overload mechanic tastes like ass! Just give us, word-for-word, a copy of Arcane Intellect at this point, because it would legitimately be better. Jesus.

Did they develop this card in an alternate timeline where Lava Shock is actually costed for 1-mana? Is the Shaman legendary going to be "Give your opponent your Overloaded mana crystals, haha, have fun with this shitty mechanic"? I thought they might at least build the card draw into a weapon or something... Nah, turns out, designing a card as if we're still in vanilla Hearthstone is the great plan! And, holy crap, the worst part is Shamans will actually have to play this cause there ain't nothing better. Meanwhile, Unbound Elemental will start gaining untold amounts of weight from all the shitty Overload cards he going to be gorging on, cause there ain't no one else to do it!

Other cards: Injured Kvaldir, not too bad. Might be cool on Turn 1 with Ancestral Healing. Anub'arak, too slow for a Rogue deck. Tuskarr Jouster, a neat card that once again is given exclusively to Paladins. The slow meta is here, boys!

Gotta say, lovin' the string of good Druid cards. Aviana... nii~iiice.

Also, Jousting mechanic as a whole: It may be random, but I prefer it because the effect can be instant, versus Inspire which might be a letdown.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"We're scared of making Rogue cards, so we're giving them another unplayable legendary."

embalm

Ancestral Knowledge does a couple things:
  • It is better than a lot of other card draw. Burgle and Thoughtsteal don't pull from your deck, these are big penalties for some decks.
  • Not all class cards are equal. Card draw is not cheap or easy for Shamans, it is very easy for Pallys and Rogues.
  • The 2 overload makes it a late game card. The overload is not noticable at 9 or 10 mana.
  • At 9 or 10 mana it is the only card draw that allows you to drop 8 drops. So you can top deck into Ragnaros & Alakir and play both of them back to back turns.

It's really not a bad card for a class starving for card draw. It is different and needs to be thought of differently.

zoukka

It's good enough for Arena but not good enough for Constructed. The real problem is that it just doesn't fit into any Rogue archetype. It's a midrange card but Rogue has no reason to play Midrange.

You kinda need a lot more Midrange cards that are strong for Rogue for it to be worth it to run that card. Either that or cards that buff up Rogue minions or allow them to bring them out quicker. This card would be quite good if say Rogue had a Prep equivalent for minions.

Tempo rogue was a thing once!

V-Faction

• It is better than a lot of other card draw. Burgle and Thoughtsteal don't pull from your deck, these are big penalties for some decks.
  • Not all class cards are equal. Card draw is not cheap or easy for Shamans, it is very easy for Pallys and Rogues.
  • The 2 overload makes it a late game card. The overload is not noticable at 9 or 10 mana.
  • At 9 or 10 mana it is the only card draw that allows you to drop 8 drops. So you can top deck into Ragnaros & Alakir and play both of them back to back turns.

It's really not a bad card for a class starving for card draw. It is different and needs to be thought of differently.

Even late-game draw cards net 3 or 4 cards. If the card is only good at late-game, it's not seeing value. Because, while a Sprint or Lay on Hands can become a 6 or 7 respectively with Emperor Thaurissan, Ancestral Knowledge is still going to have its Overload punishment, even if it costs 0. Same with Far Sight as a combination, you'll still have to eat the Mana Crystals. Lava Shock negates the penalty, but it costs 2-mana itself. You don't gain any advantage. So I'd almost rather see a card in the Rogue or Paladin vein--lots of mana for lots of cards. Right now, it's "lots of drawback for a little bit of card."

That last statement, that it isn't bad for a class starving for card draw... that's the real issue here. That's pretty terrible design if needing a less crappy card draw makes the decision okay. They (HS dev team) could've easily designed it into some sort of Totem synergy--that's what they're pushing after all. Or, better yet, here's a crrrraaaazy idea, why not make Overload the source of the card draw. The more you have, the more you draw. Turn it into a synergy instead of yet another band-aid solution.

Shaman isn't the tankiest class, so surviving to turn 10 can be pretty rough. Mages can afford to waste a turn early on because of their board clears and their defensive secrets, Priests can heal to prolong the game and generally have weak opening turns anyway. I doubt Burgle sees serious play considering that Prep + Sprint already exists and pulls cards that you chose to put in your deck. If Shamans get stuck with Ancestral Knowledge in their opening hand, they're kind of screwed. If you play it turn 2, you just spent turn 2 and 3 drawing cards and passing. Without dependable board clears or significant healing, they can't recover from spending 2 turns dedicated to drawing. Maybe you could get away with coin AK on turn 1 since all you really lose is hero power on turn 2, but that's still kind of risky.

Ancestral Knowledge would see play right now in Mech Shaman. You dont usually play draw spells in an early game curve anyway. People need to stop evaluating cards in a vacuum. Also Overload X is really not the same as "add x to the mana cost of this card and then compare ".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom