• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultrabum

Gratz, mayne!

What have you been using - mech? As a shaman, do you feel like you're usually avoiding overload?

I play mech shaman. I run crackle, lava burst, doom hammer as overload cards and I really try to save those until I have lethal. Although, I do frequently play the doomhammer on turn 5, which usually sucks because then I can't fire ele or fel reaver on 6.

Ideally, you draw all the mechs, and then draw the burn spells later and use them for lethal, and never pay the overload price!!!

However in practice I found it to be just a worst version of mech Mage :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well.. if we're talkin' about classes...
ROGUE AND SHAMAN 4 LYFE!!!

And sometimes Paladin

Minsc

Gold Member
Patron is significantly stronger than any other deck in the game when it draws what it needs and hits emperor turn 6. Basically no way to stop it.

Opiate

Patron is significantly stronger than any other deck in the game when it draws what it needs and hits emperor turn 6. Basically no way to stop it.

We're nitpicking here, but I'm not sure I agree. There are some rush decks that are nearly unbeatable if they draw their early game cards right, and would crush even a well drawn patron deck before it can get going.

I think Patron's biggest strength is its resilience; unlike Eboladin, Patron can usually stick around long enough to recover from a bad opening hand. Obviously Patron can also draw very well, but I think there are other more gimmicky decks which are more powerful if they draw right.

Tacitus_

Tbh the problem with patron is Emperor. Doing stuff like whirlwinding and executing for 0 mana after dropping warsong, patron and frothing in the same turn. Bonus points if you also get to battle rage for 1 mana.

That's 15 mana worth of stuff for 9 mana, gives you a great board and draws 4+ cards.

Every minion has "Deathrattle: Summon a minion (2) less than this minion"

I played Scarlet Purifier and he damaged himself!

Played from hand. No recursive minions from built in deathrattles!

CoolOff

...why is Imp-losion in the game...

I want to find the fucker responsible for it and interrogate him on the thought process behind designing it to be the most infuriating damn card ever.

Dahbomb

It's not about who is the best when they get their god draws... it's about who is the most consistent. Grim Patron deck is deceptively consistent in sneaking out those wins.

After that I would say are Midrange Hunter and Handlock. Midrange Hunter has among the fewest bad match ups in the game and Handlock of course is just solid and powerful all around.

Though I don't have much experience with the latest aggro Paladin deck. Not sure if its FOTM like Malylock or if people just don't expect it much but its been climbing the ranks pretty fast.

Opiate

Well, that tends to be the case when something is broken as fuck...

I'm not really sure it is. To be "broken as fuck," you need a lot more than just super OPness if you get just the right draws.

There are lots of very bad decks that are incredible if they get just the right draws. The issue is how frequently you get those draws. If your deck loses 8/10 games but then completely and totally owns the opponent by turn 5 in the other two games, that's a bad deck.

The real power of Patron isn't that they can be incredible with the right draws. The power is that -- unlike other decks that are incredible with the right draws -- Patron has a means to draw 10 extra cards if they don't happen to get the right opening hand. It really isn't uncommon for Patron to outdraw its opponent by 10-15 cards.

inky

Excessive card draw in general can make or break stuff. If they nerfed miracle on that basis it is worth considering for Patron too. Warsong nerf might limit its potential enough tho, as to make card draw a little less relevant if it stops OTK or combo plays, because nerfing card draw is much more difficult in this case (without setting back the whole class that is).

Not that I'm advocating for a nerf, but I only play ranked occasionally and Patron is fun in the early ranks.

Opiate

Yeah, I think good comparisons are these two decks:

Miracle Rogue with Shadow Step Leeroy
Warlock deck with Arcane Golem + Power Overwhelming + Faceless Manipulator

Both of those rely on getting 3/4 core cards in to hand so that you can blow up the opponent in a near OTK. However, Miracle Rogue far outdraws Warlock Arcane Golem decks, even with the amazing potential of Warlock hero power. The consequence is that Miracle Rogue was ridiculously powerful, and the Warlock Arcane Golem deck is okay but not great. Both decks rely on the same basic mechanic of charging an opponent with 20+ damage in a single turn, but Miracle rogue could reach that combo much more consistently than the Warlock deck can because of increased cycling speed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Freeze Mage also needs a big combo, but generally they do it by a mix of card draw and being able to stall out the game for a very long time.

Loomba

...why is Imp-losion in the game...

I want to find the fucker responsible for it and interrogate him on the thought process behind designing it to be the most infuriating damn card ever.

You roll a 2 when you needed a 3?

It has literally lost me games.

You should try playing crackle and lightning storm.

Dumbest shit ever. I don't even run lightning storm anymore, 5 mana do 2 dmg aoe is sooooo bad.

It's especially infuriating that it can do 3, it just doesn't. Unless it's used against me, then it hits for 3 every time.

manhack

It's especially infuriating that it can do 3, it just doesn't. Unless it's used against me, then it hits for 3 every time.

Yeah, I was playing some Shaman last month and every time I needed a high roll to get back in the game with lighting storm or crackle it would roll low and basically lose me the game on the spot.

Opiate

It's like Warriors and Druids: every Warrior you face has Fiery War Axe in his starting hand, every Druid has wild growth.

You play Warrior/Druid, no such luck.

Everyone in the world is never lucky.

CoolOff

You roll a 2 when you needed a 3?

It has literally lost me games.

Nah, played against me, and it's always 4.

gutshot

The new card from the above linked post:

l9yKkiP.jpg

One of the themes of this expansion seems to be making Paladin stuff a thing that all classes can have access to?

ViviOggi

4WDGYEA0JT001438801205385.jpg

One of the themes of this expansion seems to be making Paladin stuff a thing that all classes can have access to?

What an odd concept

Could be an okay pick in arena but it's an epic, also pretty huge stat loss over Ogre

Also keep in mind that Paladin has a lot of garbage class cards

Dahbomb

l9yKkiP.jpg

Why not just make this a Paladin only card?

This card just like the Silverhand Regent card confuses me.

Another "good enough for Arena" card.

That card just seems so random. Why Paladin? lol

It's an interesting card but with so much competition at the 6 slot I'm not sure there will be room for it.

Pooya

l9yKkiP.jpg

I'd guess there is one for every class.

I don't like the RNG at all here, that can give some nasty cards you can't possibly prepare for. Paladin cards are actually mostly too good.

Opiate

Yeah, that's a weird one. Why would I want an Eye for an Eye in my hand?

It's a 6 drop. It's really difficult to describe how good a card has to be to be played for 6 mana. Are you better than Sylvanas and Thaurissan? No? See you later, then.

Dahbomb

This expansion is getting dangerously close to the amount of RNG mechanics in GvG especially with the Jousting mechanic introduced into the game.

This won't replace Sylvanas or Emperor in any decks. Even Piloted Sky Golem doesn't see a whole lot of play because of those two, and it's a much better card than this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Paladin because it's the worst class so it's safe to give people cards from it.

Not sure what purpose Grand Crusader is supposed to serve - he isn't getting into constructed decks ahead of premium six drops like Emperor Balanced and Sylvanas, and in Arena he's an Epic who'll occasionally randomly win his player a game with a ridiculous card (top deck Grand Crusader into Tirion/Lay on Hands/Truesilver/Equality/Solemn Vigil/etc), but otherwise be mostly unremarkable.

manhack

This expansion is getting dangerously close to the amount of RNG mechanics in GvG especially with the Jousting mechanic introduced into the game.

I have started to get in the mindset that this game is mostly random at this point and not to take it too seriously. Obviously as a card game, there is inherent randomness, and while that does create a lot of exciting moments, it can be really depressing when you feel like you "outplayed" someone and they win due to RNG mechanics or better draws.

To be fair there are still plenty of critical decisions points that will determine the outcome of each game, but you just have to accept that some games are unwinnable.

Pooya

So far we have;

Nefarian, gives two random spells from opponent's class.
Burgle, gives two random cards from opponent's class.
Spellslinger, gives a random spell to both players.
Grand Crusader, gives a random Paladin card.
Lock and Load, gives random Hunter cards.

If we are covering all combinations here now, there is gotta be card that gives a random minion to both players and a lot more insanity.

I'd say Grand Crusader can be more useful than Nefarian.

Dahbomb

So far we have;

If we are covering all combinations here now, there is gotta be card that gives a random minion to both players and a lot more insanity.

You forgot Saraad that can give you a random spell.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think class spells are overall stronger than class minions. Nef is just a lot more reliable. There's lot of "filler" minions for all the classes, but not as much "filler" spells.

Kornflayx

I don't trust any card evaluations before they are played in actual games. Because Trump also thought that Dr. Boom wasn't anything special when it was revealed.

Opiate

So far we have;

Does thoughsteal count? Because it's actually the best card of that bunch if so.

I don't trust any card evaluations before they are played in actual games. Because Trump also thought that Dr. Boom wasn't anything special when it was revealed.
I think that most people who really know this game make predictions based off the current available information. He even mentions how cards don't fit into current decks. You can't really reliably predict something that doesn't exist yet.

However, I do wish people weren't so pessimistic and had more imagination.

Dahbomb

Yeah most of these cards are too tough to call especially without the whole set. We are through half of the set after all.

Like two days ago I thought King's Defender was irredeemable garbage but yesterday they came out with Bolster. Suddenly I am giving Taunt Warrior a second thought. 2-3 more super powerful taunt Warrior cards could push that deck archetype into viability and it could make King's Defender usable.

And I am sure some of these cards have some synergies with older cards that people may be overlooking.

These prediction videos are just that...prediction videos. On average most pro players got like 70% of the cards right in terms of prediction so even though they got mostly right predictions they got some wrong too. Antique Healbot was widely considered to be a shit card before GvG released and now it's a top tier heal card for many decks.

Opiate

I think that most people who really know this game make predictions based off the current available information. He even mentions how cards don't fit into current decks. You can't really reliably predict something that doesn't exist yet.

However, I do wish people weren't so pessimistic and had more imagination.

Yes, I absolutely agree. There are a lot of people who seem to make predictions based on the current state of the game, and who fail to imagine what new deck archetypes could become legitimately good. Joust has a chance to dramatically slow the game down, for instance, and it requires re-evaluating a lot of the "too slow" stuff we've already seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom