• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Plus it being a dead draw later on makes running 2 of iffy, yet only one makes it less consistent to mulligan for when it's the type of card a deck would be made around.

DAMN interesting though. Really like the new druid cards we've seen so far.

Foe Reaper is a really underrated card. I mean it's basically a board clearing machine and god forbid it's buffed. Dunno why it's not as high as a Dr. Balanced. Not a BGH target, more health than attack, mech... It's a priest's best tool!

JesseZao

Plus it being a dead draw later on makes running 2 of iffy, yet only one makes it less consistent to mulligan for when it's the type of card a deck would be made around.

DAMN interesting though. Really like the new druid cards we've seen so far.

If you have the double hero power use card in play you can drop a six drop, play an AC and then double hero power.

I don't know that'd I run two though.

Opiate

I don't like this druid card. Will result in too many "concede on turn 2" matches basically anytime the druid starts with innavate + this card.

You would concede against an enemy that is reduced to topdecking when you still have a full hand?

I mean, maybe it will work out poorly for you. Perhaps. But what if his next 2 topdeck cards are Zombie Chow and Innervate? What if through turns 3-7 you have an enemy playing dinky drops and hero powering?

Foe Reaper is a really underrated card. I mean it's basically a board clearing machine and god forbid it's buffed. Dunno why it's not as high as a Dr. Balanced. Not a BGH target, more health than attack, mech... It's a priest's best tool!

If it triggered when your opponent attacked it, it would be top-tier. Probably grossly overpowered IMO.

As it stands, it doesn't do anything when it comes into play. Your opponent still has a turn to kill it before it gets to attack.

Dahbomb

It's too slow and it doesn't do anything the turn it gets played. And unlike Dr Balanced it's still only 1 minion and doesn't do anything when it dies.

FeD.nL

This card is worse and worse as the game goes on.

I honestly think that if you are playing this card... you try to mulligan for Innervate + this card and if you don't get the combo then you ignore this card completely past turn 4-5.

That's the main weakness for this card... it has an expiration date on it. If you don't use it early then this card is completely dead IMO.

The card has a very extreme range of "game breaking opener" to "completely dead" in late game.

Well it might even get some value late game if you manage to protect your loothoarders/AoP the turn before it since, if i'm correctly reading it, it gives you another turn late game. Let's say you play a loot hoarder, acolyte and sludge turn 9, for some reason your opponent does not deal with the drawers (unlikely) you could play a six drop turn 10, use this card, draw with acolyte and loot hoarder and play the cards you draw/hero power. Still extremely unlikely.

Dahbomb

Well it might even get some value late game if you manage to protect your loothoarders/AoP the turn before it since, if i'm correctly reading it, it gives you another turn late game. Let's say you play a loot hoarder, acolyte and sludge the turn 9 for some reason you opponent does not deal with the drawers (unlikely) you could play a six drop turn 10, use this card, draw with acolyte and loot hoarder and play the cards you draw/hero power still extremely unlikely.
Yeah that's a possible play as well actually. I forgot that it's full mana crystals so even if you use up all of your mana crystals... this gives you essentially another turn to work with assuming you get some draw on boards.

So it just goes back to having those Acolytes/Loot Hoarders in this deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The problem is that it's a 7+ mana cost card that doesn't do anything the turn that it is played. You have to attack with it to get the benefit. It's kind of like Sneed's, except not as sticky.

If it triggered when your opponent attacked it, it would be top-tier. Probably grossly overpowered IMO.

As it stands, it doesn't do anything when it comes into play. Your opponent still has a turn to kill it before it gets to attack.

The problem is that it's a 7+ mana cost card that doesn't do anything the turn that it is played. You have to attack with it to get the benefit. It's kind of like Sneed's, except not as sticky.

I guess you guys are right. As a Priest drop, by the time I put him out he's behind taunts and health buffed. Would be sick if attacking him triggered his cleave too.

I started using him in a control mage deck and it basically closes out every game for me as it's always targeted and duplicated once killed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Same wording as Nourish. Otherwise it would specify "empty" like Wild Growth.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
But what are you going to use the mana on other than hero power? Unless you have a loot hoarder on the board.
Yeah, you could have card draw on the board already. Do something like Force of Nature, play new card, proc card draw, play other cards, to get like a 16 mana turn.

Pooya

Whatever deck you build, more likely than not you will end up playing one card a turn after a successful playing of this card on turn 4 until you can get more card draw. You gotta fill the deck with heal and card draw plus deathwing, alex, rag and big taunts.

Opening with card draw if you have this in your hand already is horrible.
Opening with card draw if you don't have it, it's great but you will still end up losing some possibly valuable cards.

We can play Aviana without need of this and much more reliably. Cool gimmick though.

Copenap

You would concede against an enemy that is reduced to topdecking when you still have a full hand?

I mean, maybe it will work out poorly for you. Perhaps. But what if his next 2 topdeck cards are Zombie Chow and Innervate? What if through turns 3-7 you have an enemy playing dinky drops and hero powering?
This is a card you build your deck around so Chow would not make sense in it. Best case he draws into Innervate into Wrath or something so if you can lethal within a few turns you could still be ok. Chances arw though it will be turn 3 Ancient of Lore/War/Dr. Balanced.

Opiate

This is a card you build your deck around so Chow would not make sense in it. Best case he draws into Innervate into Wrath or something so if you can lethal within a few turns you could still be ok. Chances arw though it will be turn 3 Ancient of Lore/War/Dr. Balanced.

Right, the deck would be hugely inconsistent. If you "build your deck around it," you're talking about a deck that is ridiculously heavy on giant minions and hopes to draw the Astral Communion in their opening hand. If they draw it, they have a high chance to win; if they don't, they have a very low chance.

That's not consistent, but yes, it could certainly produce some cases where you auto win by turn 5. That's just a different flavor of rush deck, really, where instead of hoping for the right combination of early game cards, you're hoping for one, specific card that enables the rest of your deck.

Haly

While I would have dismissed a deck like this before off hand , Shaman has proven to be surprisingly playable despite its very binary gameplay so perhaps a similar druid deck is just as viable.

Opiate

While I would have dismissed a deck like this before off hand , Shaman has proven to be surprisingly playable despite its very binary gameplay so perhaps a similar druid deck is just as viable.

Yes, I could imagine something like mech shaman being the ceiling for something like an Astral Communion deck. Extremely inconsistent, not quite a top tier deck, but good enough to play with and certainly good enough to have fun with. Hard to say in advance, though. My idea for an astral communion deck:

2x Innervate
2x Wrath
2x Astral Communion
2x Starfire
1x Sylvanas
2x Ancient of Lore
2x Ancient of War
1x Dr. Boom
1x Troggzor
1x Chromaggus
1x Gruul
2x Ironbark Protector
1x Kelthuzad
1x Ragnaros
1x Foe Reaper
1x Sneed's
1x Alestrasza
1x Cenarius
1x Mekgineer Thermaplugg
1x Nefarian
1x Onyxia
1x Ysera

Opiate

I would say one of the upsides to such a deck is that cards like Foe Reaper and Gruul could be legitimately playable in it.

Malice215

Druid getting lots of interesting stuff in this expansion. I'm excited.

Astral Communion is a really cool card. I don't think it's consistent enough to build a deck around in constructed, but I sure as hell will try.

V-Faction

It's a shame Fist of Jaraxxus isn't Fist of Cenarius (or some such title) because of the Discard mechanic's synergy with this. I wish there were more cards with that trigger.

Tacitus_

Have I mentioned how much I hate priests?

First a priest thoughtsteals my BGH and shadow madnesses my belcher for lethal.

Now this 2nd priest thoughtsteals my owl to get rid of my drake.

Pooya

It's good they are trying to introduce new archetypes for druid, control rogue, totem shaman possibly news priest, hunter and warrior decks even with some of the cards and I feel paladin will be stronger after this set. Mage so far probably going to fall off even more. We've seen 5 cards, some are trash and the rest don't really introduce anything new. Pretty bad so far in that regard, 4 more cards to go.

Haly

I would play Azure Drake in that deck, Opiate. You can't count on a Turn 4 Astral. Better be ready to go to turn 5 or 6.

And drawing Azure leads into more draws after Astral.

Opiate

I would play Azure Drake in that deck, Opiate. You can't count on a Turn 4 Astral. Better be ready to go to turn 5 or 6.

And drawing Azure leads into more draws after Astral.

Well, the issue is going to be that any 5/6 drops -- even those that draw cards -- won't let you play other stuff the same turn. Maybe Drakes instead of starfires. I'm not sure; it's just what first popped in to my mind, and is a rough draft at best.

Haly

You would chain Azure into Inventor/Nourish in my mind.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hell Novice Engineer. She'd allow you to play a big guy that same turn.

Trying to get back into Hearthstone without spending too much money seems impossible for me. Guess I shouldn't have stopped playing for so long.

Stopped playing right when Naxx hit so I am missing so much. Sucks because I've been really wanting to play. Guess I can make a basic ass deck and just give it a shot...

; ;

Finalow

so what's the best way to get cards for someone who just started to play? Obviously without paying $$$

I suppose that before going into the arena I need to ''get good'' and I'll do some casual or ranked matches for that. then I can stick to the arena but it sucks that you only get GvG packs from there, wth. should I ignore the standard packs or just buy them instead of doing arena?

or rather, should I save 700 gold and unlock one wing of those 2 adventures? In that case, which are the best wings?

Pooya

Jeeves could be great for that deck, if you can play it before this card it will be amazing. Even top decking it should be good. People tend to leave Jeeves alone unlike Acolyte of Pain which is silenced as soon as played for example.

Ultrabum

Trying to get back into Hearthstone without spending too much money seems impossible for me. Guess I shouldn't have stopped playing for so long.

Stopped playing right when Naxx hit so I am missing so much. Sucks because I've been really wanting to play. Guess I can make a basic ass deck and just give it a shot...

; ;

Prepare to lose a lot :(

Opiate

Also worth noting that this card has extreme anti-synergy with the newly announced Druid legendary, Aviana. Which is fine -- not every card needs to work together. It's good that there are different styles and approaches.

Sifl

Jeeves could be great for that deck, if you can play it before this card it will be amazing. Even top decking it should be good. People tend to leave Jeeves alone unlike Acolyte of Pain which is silenced as soon as played for example.
How would you get it out though? Best case scenario is turn 1 Innervate+Coin Jeeves, Turn 2 Innervate+Astral Communion. You'd rarely get that hand, and people will quickly figure out what your plan is and make sure to remove it.
Edit: Top decking would work, but again extremely unlikely.

so what's the best way to get cards for someone who just started to play? Obviously without paying $$$

I suppose that before going into the arena I need to ''get good'' and I'll do some casual or ranked matches for that. then I can stick to the arena but it sucks that you only get GvG packs from there, wth. should I ignore the standard packs or just buy them instead of doing arena?

or rather, should I save 700 gold and unlock one wing of those 2 adventures? In that case, which are the best wings?

In case you're wondering, you have to buy the wings in order from 1 to 5, so you can't cherry pick and say, go to wing 4 straight away, you'd need 1-3 first.

The best early wings are Wing 1 of Blackrock (for Patron and Emperor Thaurissan) and Wing 1 (Haunted Creeper, Nerubian Egg) and 2 (Sludge Belcher, Loatheb) of Naxx.

Doing your dailies every day is the best method, really. Buy 2 classic packs for every 1 GVG pack is the pack meta these days, I think.

If you've never played Arena, you get a free go the first time. Just use HearthArena's tier list to draft. You're guaranteed a GVG pack, so it's worth it.

Haly

Also worth noting that this card has extreme anti-synergy with the newly announced Druid legendary, Aviana. Which is fine -- not every card needs to work together. It's good that there are different styles and approaches.

Well, I don't know Opiate. What about... THIS.

2 Innervate
2 Wrath
2 Novice Engineer
2 Loot Hoarder
2 Grove Tender
2 Gnomish Inventor
2 Astral Communion
2 Swipe
2 Azure Drake
2 Ancient of Lore
1 Jeeves
1 Starfire
1 Sylvanas
1 Troggzor
1 Cenarius
1 Alexstrasza
1 Ysera
1 Aviana
1 Nefarian
1 Deathwing

Yes, I could imagine something like mech shaman being the ceiling for something like an Astral Communion deck. Extremely inconsistent, not quite a top tier deck, but good enough to play with and certainly good enough to have fun with. Hard to say in advance, though. My idea for an astral communion deck:

I'd swap Mekgineer Thermaplugg, Alex and the ironbarks out for loot hoarders and acolytes or even Jeeves.

For this deck to work, you need card draw on the board when you slam down astral communion. You also need to draw into astral communion really early.

If it does work, you will not need ironbarks or Alex, you'll just win. Along those lines deathwing would be a must include.

manhack

; ;

Just try to focus on 2 or 3 decks and work through dailies. Disenchant anything you don't think you will use, especially bad golden cards.

It is possible that AC could be included in a deck where it is a benefit and the deck doesn't revolve entirely around using it. Kripp suggested a version where the deck would be broken without using it timely, but I think that will be alarmobot level trash.

The use this card has in the late game is potentially very high though. For 4 mana, you get 10 mana. On turn 10 that means you could have a total of 16 mana to spend (4 on AC). The challenge of course is to figure out how to make use of that 10 mana after the discard.

Finalow

In case you're wondering, you have to buy the wings in order from 1 to 5, so you can't cherry pick and say, go to wing 4 straight away, you'd need 1-3 first.

The best early wings are Wing 1 of Blackrock (for Patron and Emperor Thaurissan) and Wing 1 (Haunted Creeper, Nerubian Egg) and 2 (Sludge Belcher, Loatheb) of Naxx.

Doing your dailies every day is the best method, really. Buy 2 classic packs for every 1 GVG pack is the pack meta these days, I think.

If you've never played Arena, you get a free go the first time. Just use HearthArena's tier list to draft. You're guaranteed a GVG pack, so it's worth it.
I see. so is it worth it to save gold for those wings right away? Not sure if I can win there with this very basic deck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom