• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

That's a really interesting card. Play permanent-based card draw, then play this, hope to draw shit with ur mana after. Not bad tbh. It may not be played right now, but a card like this will always have untapped potential as soon as the right cards come out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You know, if you're running an Astral Communion Deck, you might actually run Deathwing.

Or Jeeves. Play Jeeves. Play Astral Communion. Get back 3 cards.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you would build your deck as feast or famine. Have all your cards near the low end or the high end, with tons of card draw/cycling in the middle.

I think this could be used in a retooled token druid.

inky

At least it's not Recycle tier of WTFness. Maybe in a year it'll be in the most popular deck. Unlikely, but I can't wait for that dream scenario highlight video. There's always a chance with an expansion with discard mechanics in the future as well, etc.

Druid got some strong cards already this exp, so I'm not bothered with one DOA, which is the likely scenario. Fun card.

JesseZao

It doesn't say "empty", so if you have draw engines in play, you can play cards after you play Astral Communion right? It's worded the same as Nourish and Grove Tender.

ZealousD

I can see the Trolden video now.

Play Nefarian against a Warlock. Get Hand of Jaraxxus.

Play Astral Communion for exact lethal.

It doesn't say "empty", so if you have draw engines in play, you can play cards after you play Astral Communion right? It's worded the same as Nourish and Grove Tender.

It would have to be something like Acolyte or Loot Hoarder. Gadetzan wouldn't even work because you would draw the card first, then discard it.

inky

Yea, it's full mana crystals. If you have draw on the board you can use the new cards right away.

JesseZao

The dream will be If you can draw Chromaggus and one more card after Chromaggus is down for your AC turn 4.

This'll be a fun card to build a deck with for sure.

Well one thing is for sure, it's no Silent Knight or Flame Lance. I feel a little bit bad for Trump and Amaz.

Edit: I feel like this could be decent for Inspire combos but other than Garrison Commander and somehow stealing a ColdDrake, you really can't do much with two triggers (probably).

Dahbomb

Kripp revealed a new card on his youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWstCow8shQ

Astral Communion Card

9oVUSdT.jpg
Ok there were some very interesting cards revealed for this set in the past couple of days...

But this is BY FAR the most interesting card in the set thus far. Literally some Yugioh shit right here.

This is one of those cards that is either insanely broken or completely useless....

I LOVE IT!

Xanathus

I already envision an Alarm-o-bot deck filled with high cost taunts and legendaries like Ysera, Chromaggus, Boom, Ragnaros, Kelthuzad, 2 of these cards and Innervate and Alarm-o-bots. Mulligan for Astral Communion and Innervate and play it as soon as possible, then top-deck your way into all your big cards.

Dahbomb

You want Loot Hoarders and Acolytes in this deck with Chromaggus.

You basically mulligan for Innervates/Acolytes/Loot Hoarders/Astral.

You drop down Loot Hoarders/Acolyte on their turn 2/turn 3, then on turn 4 you play Astral and you run your Loots/Acolytes into the enemy and then you get 2 cards after Astral Communion.

Then you top dick Aviana and Kelthuzad to win the game!

Xanathus

You drop down Loot Hoarders/Acolyte on their turn 2/turn 3, then on turn 4 you play Astral and you run your Loots/Acolytes into the enemy and then you get 2 cards after Astral Communion.

The problem with Loot Hoarders and Acolyte is that you assume they survive at the time you play Astral but opponents will always kill them off efficiently which means you're losing cards unnecessarily from playing Astral. You instead want to have your draws happening after Astral is played. The only purpose of having draws prior to Astral is to get Astral itself.

JesseZao

The problem with Loot Hoarders and Acolyte is that you assume they survive at the time you play Astral but opponents will always kill them off efficiently which means you're losing cards unnecessarily from playing Astral. You instead want to have your draws happening after Astral is played. The only purpose of having draws prior to Astral is to get Astral itself.

Then there will be a meta shift to a non-AC "thanks for the extra draws" combo druid.

Xanathus

Then there will be a meta shift to a non-AC "thanks for the extra draws" combo druid.

What? I'm not saying that opponents will try to give you extra draws from Acolyte, I'm saying they'll kill off Hoarder/Acolyte while giving you the minimum number of draws possible as anyone would do all the time. The point is that you play Acolyte turn 3, then they kill it and you get Ysera, turn 4 you play AC and that Ysera is lost. The only draw cards you would probably play in this deck is Ancient of Lore, Wrath and possibly Azure Drake to combo with Swipe/Wrath.

Raxus

Might be a reason to finally run this hotness again.

In all honesty the card is beyond hot garbage IMO. It'd be a fun deck to run either way.

styl3s

So i bought the 2 adventure pack things is there a good guide out there to help me through the normal bosses without having cards from the new expansion? I just have the original set (most cards not all). Once i play through these i plan on buying the 60 pack thing of the gnome expansion and maybe pre-ordering the new stuff. I hear talk it's coming out this month?

I was going to come back to the game when the new expansion (gnome) came out but wanted to wait for a little more variety and since there is another expansion coming out and i got some extra cash i figure it's a good time to get hooked on it again.

Astral Communion is a game-winning card. It's the kind of card that is so powerful that it is going to see play. Maybe not this expansion, but eventually someone will find a way to break it.

Top tier trash in Arena, potential archetype foundation in Constructed.

The ideal deck is a something with on-board draw such as Acolyte and Loot Hoarders that has alternate win cons. The trick being that opponents are stuck in a spot where they don't want you to draw into alternate wins, but want to try to get your draw off the board before you Commune. The issue is that the strong alternate win con doesn't really exist for Druid outside of Force/Roar at this moment, and the current variations of that deck are bound to be stronger at this moment.

Xanathus

I don't know why people keep saying Loot Hoarder and Acolyte are good together with this... they're the most awful cards to have in that kind of deck. Remember that after you play Astral you will be top-decking a card every turn and can generally only play 1 card a turn. Do you really want to top deck a Loot Hoarder or Acolyte when you have 10 mana and have that be your only play?

This matchup should be close to unloseable for you. I seriously didn't lose a single game while grinding to 500 against the dozen or so shaman I faced. Just don't overextend into a lightning storm, and try to preserve your divine shields and trade away your unshielded minions instead if you have to trade. After the first lightnings storm go HAM as they almost never have a 2nd one. Helps that nobody is running feral spirits right now.

Ah okay I'll try that out. I keep running out of cards. Eventually the totem adds up even though I try to take them out.

Definitely see a lot of Ramp Druids running AC - if they get it in their hand with Innervate they have a very high chance of running away with the game (turn 2 they get 10 mana crystals, then they need to either top deck a massive drop or card draw, both of which they'll stuff their decks with).

I think it's a good contender for a Miracle Druid. Auctioneer plus Communion would be sweet in a mostly spell deck. Hell, think of the combo you could get if you drew into another Communion you could use.

Though I'm more excited for Malygos Druid with Living Roots;

Malygos > Moonfire > Moonfire > Living Roots for 19 damage! 26 if you can discount one Living Roots.

Magnus

Wow. That's a fucking epic card. Really hoping something that interesting gets revealed for the classes that are actually hurting, like Priest.

Cat Party

So if you go first and your opening hand is innervate-innervate-this new card you only discard one card and get 10 mana for turn 2. If you only get one innervate, you just end up waiting a turn (unless you have the coin) and maybe discarding two cards. Seems OP.

johnsmith

remember me
Ah okay I'll try that out. I keep running out of cards. Eventually the totem adds up even though I try to take them out.

Take out the totems if there's something you want to protect in case they have flametongue, like a juggler, but otherwise you can just ignore them since mech doesn't run defender of argus. If it does look like midrange instead of mech its probably worth taking out the totems every turn before they get taunted and buffed.

Xanathus

Here's my early deck concept for Astral Communion. Wild Growths, Wrath, Swipe and Belcher are there to hedge against early pressure and Wild Growth can be used for card cycle post-AC. For taunts hey it turns out Master Jouster is really really good in this type of deck since nearly all your minions are high cost. The top-end legendaries can be swapped around for more taunts or other legendaries, I'm iffy on Aviana because it makes all your other minions cost 1 but with your ideal gameplan you're only playing 1 or 2 cards at most every turn.

edit: removed Aviana, added Alexstraza for extra heal on top of Tree of Life

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilde...82:1;12270:1;14448:1;14451:1;22317:2;22334:2;

JesseZao

Loot Horder / Acolyte in play before AC is just the dream situation. Not saying it'd be consistent.

I made a deck for it and it doesn't include those cards. The idea is to mulligan for Wild Growth, Innervate, Aspirant, AC. You can use the temp crystals from Aspirant to play AC and then when they die you won't care. Also a few Inspide cards and healing. Raw Test Deck

Going to need a lot of tests for the various fatties to include. Foe-Reaper could be great.

Dahbomb

What makes Communion a yugioh esque card? Two people described it that way.
Hearthstone spell cards by comparison to YGO are not very extreme due to the nature of the game.

Like YGO cards because they don't have a mana cost they usually need some heavy cost/drawback for a really powerful effect (talking about non banned cards here of course). Many YGO cards utilize heavy discard effects as well because they can better utilize their graveyards.

There are some spell cards with Yugioh that also take a lot of your life points for a powerful effect. I think that might be a card that could get printed in Hearthstone as well (pay 15 health for a powerful spell effect).

giapel

This new Druid card must be meant to be played with the inspire mechanic. So you get to use all your extra mana with the hero power

Astral Communion is perfect for a Ramp/Inspire deck since you'll be top dicking and always have extra mana to use hero power.

Edit: beaten by seconds.

ZealousD

The more I think about Astral Communion the more I think it's inconsistent as hell. Discarding your entire hand is such a huge drawback that you're basically forced to play a whole bunch of card draw in order to try and recover your hand. You'd have to play less than ideal cards like Novice Engineer, Gnomish Inventor, Jeeves, and Nourish. Then what happens when you have a whole bunch of card draw but you don't grab it within the first few turns of the game? Half the time you won't draw it until super late in the game and at that point it's basically a dead card.

So you're basically just making a Ramp Druid deck worse because you might draw this within your first couple of turns. Not great. People are going to try and build decks around it and will fail miserably.

FeD.nL

The more I think about Astral Communion the more I think it's inconsistent as hell. Discarding your entire hand is such a huge drawback that you're basically forced to play a whole bunch of card draw in order to try and recover your hand. You'd have to play less than ideal cards like Novice Engineer, Gnomish Inventor, Jeeves, and Nourish. Then what happens when you have a whole bunch of card draw but you don't grab it within the first few turns of the game? Half the time you won't draw it until super late in the game and at that point it's basically a dead card.

So you're basically just making a Ramp Druid deck worse because you might draw this within your first couple of turns. Not great. People are going to try and build decks around it and will fail miserably.

This is how I feel.

Fun card but not really playable.

Copenap

I don't like this druid card. Will result in too many "concede on turn 2" matches basically anytime the druid starts with innavate + this card.

Dahbomb

Turn 1 coin Innervate this card would in most situations win you the game.

I think this is yet another card you need to make a whole deck around and then test it out to see how the deck plays out.

It's cool and all, but I mean, a truly EPIC card. One that radically changes how you play, and could give rise to whole new deck types. Communion is on that level
haha I know, just making some fun. I hope they get something crazy for their legendary or something else. I think Sacred Champion is going do a bit of work though.

Ultrabum

I don't like this druid card. Will result in too many "concede on turn 2" matches basically anytime the druid starts with innavate + this card.

I hate to tell you this, but this is already true.

If your playing aggro vs warrior and they have war axe turn 2, you probably lost.

If your playing ramp Druid vs hunter and they go coin mad scientist mad scientist, you probably lost.

I play mech shamen, 90% of the game is determined by turn 2.

V-Faction

Whatever you may think of the card, getting 10 frickin' Mana Crystals is a huge power play. Useless at 10 mana, but you only need to activate it once. You're basically racing to 4-mana, then top decking. The perfect play would be 1.) Dump your hand on fiddle-faddle creatures during 1-mana, 2-mana, and 3-mana. 2.) Trigger this cards with a negligible hand. 3.) Play super-cost cards for the rest of the game.

And the fact that you get 10 FULL mana crystals is perfect for Inspire, because every follow up play will involve you using your Hero Power. Honestly, the card is too extreme to ignore.

Dahbomb

This card is worse and worse as the game goes on.

I honestly think that if you are playing this card... you try to mulligan for Innervate + this card and if you don't get the combo then you ignore this card completely past turn 4-5.

That's the main weakness for this card... it has an expiration date on it. If you don't use it early then this card is completely dead IMO.

The card has a very extreme range of "game breaking opener" to "completely dead" in late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom