• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Already confirmed that it's 2 separate ladders, but only a single highest ranked reward is given out at the end of the month. So you just need to focus on one ladder.

Yeah, so at least you get to choose which format you want to ladder with.

One thing that gets me though, does this mean new players will never get to play the old Adventures at all? I can understand making everything craftable but they're fun to do, at least the first time through.

Tomcat

Well, new way to play. Some people are good at calling stuff out.

To elaborate a little bit more, it sounds like they're cutting out sets that are over two years old while also including classic and basic cards(Those that were in the game before Naxx) and calling it Standard.

It also doesn't get into the way of the current ladder system, which is going to be called Wild.

OH, AND 18 TOTAL DECK SLOTS

18 slots are not enough. Especially with two sets now.

Xanathus

18 slots are not enough. Especially with two sets now.

That's the hilariously stupid thing. They "fixed" the problem by doubling the number of decks, and then reverted the fix all the way back by doubling the number of decks you need so we're back to square one again.

That's the hilariously stupid thing. They "fixed" the problem by doubling the number of decks, and then reverted the fix all the way back by doubling the number of decks you need so we're back to square one again.

I don't think they expect many people to play both ladders.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What's legit huge is that they're gonna review the Classic/Basic cards too.
GET REKT DRUID COMBO!

:0

Xanathus

I just think you guys will never be satisfied when it comes to deck slots.

The people whom deck slots are a problem in the first place are also the same people who will play both ladders.

Also this explains the Hearthstone Championship points thing, so Standard is pretty much the defacto only ladder now.
Can I earn Hearthstone Championship Tour points by competing in Ranked in both formats?
No. Standard will be the only format that offers Hearthstone Championship Tour points for 2016.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Curse of Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes will not be part of Standard. When we release the first new Expansion each year, every set that wasn’t released in the same year or the year prior will cycle out and no longer be part of the Standard format.
All right Cairne, time for you to go back in action!

Can't wait to see how they reblance Druid's combo. I think that's the only really problematic thing left in the Basic/Expert sets
until they enable another problem in future sets

gutshot

Wow. Those are some pretty massive changes. No Naxx and GvG is going to change the meta a ton obviously. Hard to predict which decks will be dominant until we see those hinted at balance changes though.

I guess Standard will be the preferred ladder now since it will be the one used in official tournaments. But I dunno, I think I will prefer Wild. I'm gonna miss old Hearthstone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious to see what classic cards stay in the rotation so I can craft the remaining good legendaries and feel good about it.

JustinBB7

Wait so for pro plays, they can only use standard, which doesn't get new cards for a year, and it's only old boring cards? How does that make it more fun? A year without new cards in pro play and only old cards does not sound fun to me..

Also what should we do with our gold and dust? Just wait till it hits right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fucking finally. We'll have to see how it pans out in practice but it's a massive step in the right direction. Legit surprised they're not charging for deck slots tbh

It wouldn't make sense. You want your biggest players to have more deck slots so they can make more decks, and thus be incentivized to buy more packs to fill out those decks.

This is awesome news! (No more Boom thank GOD)

The only thing I'm sad about is that you won't be able to buy the adventures when they get cycled out. They're doing it for Naxx but I hope they don't for League of Explorers whenever that happens. Some of the fights were fun.

Huh. Pretty big shakeup.

It's also an incentive to buy the new cards, as you won't have old staples to rely on. But it's probably necessary for the health of the game, as otherwise you get too bloated and limited in design space.

Gonna be a lot of new deck archetypes popping up I bet.

bjaelke

Wait so for pro plays, they can only use standard, which doesn't get new cards for a year, and it's only old boring cards? How does that make it more fun? A year without new cards in pro play and only old cards does not sound fun to me..

Also what should we do with our gold and dust? Just wait till it hits right?

Standard format will arrive this spring! When the momentous moment arrives, you’ll be able to build Standard decks using the following sets:

Basic
Classic
Blackrock Mountain
The Grand Tournament
The League of Explorers
The Spring 2016 Expansion

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No Zombie Chow is a concern. At least without Sludge Belcher maybe you actually see stuff like Fen Creeper? Or at he very least I guess Sen'jin would make a return.

People will definitely still need taunts. I imagine things like Fierce Monkey will be seen as extra valuable now too.

Dragner

I crafted Cairne a bit before Naxx so basically never played it because it fell into oblivion soon after that...glad I didnt disenchant it.

Sampling of the most popular cards no longer available for Standard:

Loatheb
Sludge Belcher
Death's Bite
Voidcaller
Duplicate
Dark Cultist
Deathlord
Shade of Naxxramas
Haunted Creeper
Mad Scientist
Nerubian Egg
Avenge
Zombie Chow

Mal'ganis
Dr. Boom
Lightbomb
Shieldmaiden
Antique Healbot
Fel Reaver
Quartermaster
Imp-losion
Tinker's Sharpsword Oil
Goblin Blastmage
Kezan Mystic
Piloted Shredder
Coghammer
Powermace
Muster For Battle
Velen's Chosen
Glaivezooka
Darkbomb
Flamecannon
Unstable Portal
Shielded Minibot

I also wonder if we will be able to discover non-standard cards in the standard format.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I forget if I opened or crafted Cairne but I've had him for ages.

I have a golden and regular Cairne since I could never decide if I wanted to disenchant the golden one (in the event they never added formats or a card that made him viable again) or the regular one (in the event they did).

This solves that mystery.

Xanathus

Holy shit I just realized Warriors are fucked SUPER hard in Standard. No Death's Bite, no Shieldmaiden. You don't even have Ogre Warmaul. Warriors no longer have any 4 damage weapon...

We also don't know what they're going to do to Classic and Basic cards though, so things could change quite a lot.

It'll be interesting to see if the true kings of all of HearthStone will keep their rule.
280.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I also wonder if we will be able to discover non-standard cards in the standard format.
How will random effects work in Standard?
Random effects (including summoning random minions or cards, the Discover mechanic, transformations, or any other similar effects) will only summon cards that are eligible for the format you are playing. Thus, random effects in Standard will summon only cards that would be usable in the Standard format. All cards are legal in Wild format, so such effects will function as they always have.
From the FAQ

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Druid would be best off in standard assuming no nerfs, right? That deck has been largely the same forever and its biggest buffs are out of the new sets.

Or maybe Warlock with old school Zoo being more reasonable again?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, no more creepers/minibot and muster. This actually guts secret pally.

The main thing that sticks out reading that is Druid since they've always used basically the same cards forever, the combo really will need to change with this. But it's definitely an exciting turn.

Dahbomb

RIP in peace Shredder
RIP Mech Warped and all good Mech cards
RIP Minibot
RIP Mad Scientist
RIP Void Caller
RIP Belcher
RIP Lightbomb
RIP Zombie Chow
RIP Haunted Creeper
RIP Malganis
RIP Nerubian Egg
RIP Loatheb
RIP Death's Bite
RIP Muster for Battle
RIP Spare parts mechanic

I must be forgetting a card here, it's on the tip of my tongue. I feel like I have been waiting 2 years to say it but I can't seem to get to it...

Oh wait a minute I KNOW NOW!

REST IN PEPPERONIS DR BALANCED!!!!!

I almost she'd a tear for the last one. The Dr stayed Balanced until the day they had to remove it from the game!

Xanathus

I'm also confident that Secret Paladin will still dominate Standard ladder. You just swap out Minibot and Muster for whatever is the best 2 and 3 drops still available, and replace Avenge with another secret or run less. It still works because other classes will also have less powerful cards available.

Fersis

RIP in peace Shredder
RIP Mech Warped and all good Mech cards
RIP Minibot
RIP Mad Scientist
RIP Void Caller
RIP Belcher
RIP Lightbomb
RIP Zombie Chow
RIP Haunted Creeper
RIP Malganis
RIP Nerubian Egg
RIP Loatheb
RIP Death's Bite
RIP Muster for Battle
RIP Spare parts mechanic

I must be forgetting a card here, it's on the tip of my tongue. I feel like I have been waiting 2 years to say it but I can't seem to get to it...

Oh wait a minute I KNOW NOW!

REST IN PEPPERONIS DR BALANCED!!!!!

I almost she'd a tear for the last one. The Dr stayed Balanced until the day they had to remove it from the game!
Lol
Im not complainin' though XD

Pooya

Now I get it why Lifecoach suddenly started playing that double Gadgetzan Rouge with MrYagut to follow. lmao. Although they play Boom and Belchers in it they are not important for testing, the main part is that it doesn't run shredders or oil. I think rogue will be very strong in new meta, all of their cards right now are from classic anyway! Losing oil when everyone else loses so much it's nothing and you can play miracle style decks now too with tomb pillager. I'm excited.

I'm conflicted if I should get the last two wings of Naxx for my alt now before they remove them, I kind of want to have a complete collection and getting them with gold means I get a lot of dust now too if I want. You can dust stuff liek terrible adventure legendary cards now. hmmm

Top Bottom