• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Apathy

Why would they be stuck in Wild? Standard is the default format and will have a lower "entry fee" (time or money) since decks won't require single wings from a billion different adventures.

Woops, my bad, I guess I was thinking of something else.

inky

Phasing out adventures sucks (for new players). That's fun content.

I guess more of an incentive to get them as soon as po$$ible *wink*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
so you can still buy Naxx with gold, but you can then dust the cards but then...

So if you want to craft an adventure card, you have to buy the adventure first I'm guessing. Then you can dust or craft at will?

say I can't craft majordomo unless I get second wing of blackrock but after that I can dust majordomo and craft it back if I'm crazy. Did I get that right?

I think it's interesting, say for 700 gold you get a whole lot of dust from 4th wing of Naxx for example. New players could use that, it's worth spending 700 gold to get 1000 dust.

It sounds like you can craft Majordomo no matter what once Black Rock is out of Standard.

10177965_714774791898625_8163027674233478757_n.jpg

RIP Warrior.

Apathy

so you can still buy Naxx with gold, but you can then dust the cards but then...

So if you want to craft an adventure card, you have to buy the adventure first I'm guessing. Then you can dust or craft at will?

say I can't craft majordomo unless I get second wing of blackrock but after that I can dust majordomo and craft it back if I'm crazy. Did I get that right?

I think it's interesting, say for 700 gold you get a whole lot of dust from 4th wing of Naxx for example. New players could use that, it's worth spending 700 gold to get 1000 dust.

Sooooo many useless cards going to get dusted

Dahbomb

I wish I was at home so I could look at all the banned cards and see who got hit the hardest. Then try to come up with top decks using the remaining cards.

I mean yeah initial impression is that Druid is god tier without a change to combo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Legit shook. Might actually play this awful game again.

FeD.nL

So I think what'll happen is that we're getting a Northrend expansion where some cards from Naxx will see a reprint with some balance changes. I mean Naxx has still some of the best designed cards like Zombie Chow.

Pretty hilarious that after all this time and bullshit excuses like how they need to do lots of testing and iteration on UI decisions, more deck slots was achieved by the simple addition of a scroll bar.

Never change, Blizz!

While it could of been really easy to add more slots, I'm still behind the idea that there was some weird coding thing that stopped them from doing it it sooner. I mean, they've kept it in an increment of nine as well. I can see why they had it at nine at first, one slot for each class, but why not bump it up to 20 now then? So maybe there is some weird way it has to be done.

Or it could of simply that they were waiting for an overhaul like this so they could add in more slots as an extra feature, and it was really as easy as putting in a slider. The world my never know.

All I know for sure is that coding over a network is a huge pain in the ass and that might be reason why it's taken so long.

Apathy

A bunch of strimmers have recently started playing "Slow Miracle" lists with Tomb Pillager, it's pretty good.

This is a problem.

Definitely an issue for warriors. Depending on when the changes start and when the next set of cards that will have to have some sort of fix for warriors (I hope), it's going to be really painful to play a warrior.

So which mode is going to be the "standard mode"?

Are people just not going to play the "wild" and play that new one or only the new players without naxx/goblins cards going to play it?

Dahbomb

So the classes that seem like they're being hit the hardest by this are Paladin and Priest. Maybe Mage as well.

The rest seem like they'll be okay.
Priest is fine, Warlock got hit way harder.

No Void Caller, Malganis, Implosion, Dark Bomb, Shredder, Dr B, Healbot, Belcher, Nerubian Egg, Zombie Chow, Haunted Creeper, Loatheb. Both Zoo and Handlock got hit hard.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel the standard will be a bit too limited in scope. We are looking at what, Classic + 300 cards max?

How large is the card pool for MtG? I feel something like 1000 cards is ideal to be in rotation at any point.

Are people just not going to play the "wild" and play that new one or only the new players without naxx/goblins cards going to play it?

I think it will be a big divide, since Wild is likely going to have the most OP shit in it, but old players are likely not going to want to completely abandon their deck archetypes.

Basically the majority of old decks are dead or will need major adjustments. Naxx was OP and nearly ever deck used cards from it.

Fireblend

Banned

Everyone's going to be doing Standard, so that'll probably become the defacto mode. I don't even know why they added a ladder to Wild mode, probably because it took more effort to remove it than keep it there :p

From the FAQ:

Which of my Ranks will be shown to my Battle.net friends?
Only Standard format ranks will be visible to Battle.net friends.

Will you feature the top 100 Ranked players for both the Standard and Wild formats?

Currently, we plan to feature only the top 100 players in Standard format.

Can I earn Hearthstone Championship Tour points by competing in Ranked in both formats?

No. Standard will be the only format that offers Hearthstone Championship Tour points for 2016.

Will all official Blizzard esports events be played in Standard format?

Yes. Standard is the official format of the Hearthstone Championship Tour and the Hearthstone World Championship in 2016.

ViviOggi

Standard by any possible definition. It's also the tournament format going forward.

Any reasonable player should be hyped beyond belief for this shakeup, if some clowns can't let go of their full-tree Secredin then let them rot in Wild.

Wild will become the new casual, aka where you go to play the cheap shit to finish your dailies faster. Standard is where the competition will be, especially since it is the only format that will be rewarded with Blizzcon points.

gutshot

Standard will be standard. Wild will just be for fun, basically, although you can still at least rank up there.

bjaelke

New content in 2016:
Well Standard is going to grow and shrink over time because we’re going to launch that first new set—it’ll be a big set—and then the next couple of sets that release in 2016 will just go into Standard and nothing will be removed. You played back when it was just the basic set and Naxxramas, and there were lots of fun decks to make, so I think it’ll be interesting to see, but I’m not worried about a lack of deck diversity.
Changes to basic cards:
PC Gamer: Okay, but are we talking more than 10 cards? Less than 20?

BB: Certainly less than 20 but definitely more than 2. [Laughs]

PC Gamer: How about the Druid combo?

BB: I’ll say that Druid in general is one of our biggest concerns for being dynamic in a format where we have rotating sets, because so many of the cards that Druids are most drawn to are from the Basic and Classic sets. It’s really important to have strong Basic and Classic cards, but they have a higher percentage of very strong Basic and Classic cards than any other class.

PC Gamer: Let me try one more: Knife Juggler?

BB: I’m really interested in hearing the community’s feedback and what they think the problem cards are and... That’s a good note, I appreciate it. [Laughs]

PC Gamer: Will you buff any cards as part of this balance pass?

BB: No, we’re not planning on buffing cards. In general buffing cards comes with a lot of downside. Sometimes we print cards that make [other] cards inherently better, right? If we had buffed some of the Paladin secrets, as an example, we’d be massively regretting it right now. I also think we can just make other good, exciting cards in future sets—we don’t need to be constantly playing a game where we’re changing lots of things.

We’re going to be changing more cards than we’re really comfortable with. Our general stance on changing cards is that we want to be very conservative. It’s kind of disruptive to change cards when you’ve memorized what they do just by the art, and then all of a sudden they don’t do what they used to do anymore.

Parshias7

Not sure how I feel about this. One one hand, this'll really shake things up, and gets rid of some of the really imbalanced cards. On the other hand, it kinda feels like tossing the baby out with the bathwater. Dragon Priest could be pretty strong in the new Standard... until the year ends and it becomes complete garbage because all of its dragons are now banned. Not as big a problem for people with a ton of cards already, but newer players could get screwed if a new year's turnover essentially deletes their deck. (until they move over to Wild and get wrecked by Dr. Boom)

One worry is if this gives Blizzard an opening to "re-print" cards. Like Antique Healbot isn't exactly OP, but is a useful anti-aggro tool, and is now banned from Standard. So what does Blizzard do to introduce anti-aggro tools back into Standard? Put Antique Healbot into the new set? Print an Anti-Killbot that is only vaguely different from an older card?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Standard by any possible definition. It's also the tournament format going forward.

Any reasonable player should be hyped beyond belief for this shakeup, if some clowns can't let go of their full-tree Secredin then let them rot in Wild.

Will never let go of the full tree dream. I'll tech in Eye for an Eye if I have to!

I wonder what the community's reaction will be when the next expansion has Doom, PhD. Its exactly like Dr. Boom, but now a 6/7.

Owzers

i dunno though, this seems to just encourage continually buying new expansions and adventures or you're out of Standard and stuck above the Wall. I guess since you don't need as much gold for standard if you're new, you could focus on using that gold for expansions....i'm glad changes are coming though, even though i've only been playing for 5 months or so i see the need to try to shake things up. I just crafted Malganis and druid combo pieces though....hoard forever.

Didn't dust my cairne, first legendary i got, though my second, Trogg, is doomed.

I like Reno, knowing that Reno decks won't be a thing in less than a year is really disappointing though and i don't see why they are doing such a hard change. Fun cards are punished because Blizzard let things get out of hand and are now doing a drastic "everything" area vs " only the recent year plus basic/standard"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Considering there's a new format, 9 more deck slots isn't really enough. There's still no room for experimentation in your decks while having a main deck for each class.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Considering there's a new format, 9 more deck slots isn't really enough. There's still no room for experimentation in your decks while having a main deck for each class.

I'm hoping its 9 more for free, and they just let you buy more.

Dahbomb

A new combo will arise. Combos will be here forver. Everyone loves combos... some even fiend for it : )
Probably so but they seem keen on balancing the game more frequently so if something is discovered it will get phased out quicker. No more waiting 6 months for a change or in Druid's case 2 years for a change.

Pooya

rogue is the class to play. I found it odd that lifecoach suddenly started testing rogue, and with THAT rogue deck too. That insider info. Rogue just loses a little burst damage but that's fine, the meta is going to be very different with TGT/LoE cards as the core plus this new expansion. Best time to be a main rogue :)

-----
Paladin will be ok too I think, murloc paladin is pretty good and fully functional in standard format.

Xanathus

I wish I was at home so I could look at all the banned cards and see who got hit the hardest. Then try to come up with top decks using the remaining cards.

I mean yeah initial impression is that Druid is god tier without a change to combo.

At this point I'm even gonna bother theorycrafting what will be the best/worst until I see what changes to existing cards are happening, and what new cards are coming in the next expansion because the meta will be completely unbalanced in favor of ~3 classes without any changes.

Owzers

will there be balance changes for cards in Wild mode too or will all the nerfs only affect standard? Example, if they nerf something like druid combo, will that nerf still be card based or standard only?

Dahbomb

will there be balance changes for cards in Wild mode too or will all the nerfs only affect standard?
It should be for both. I don't see why not to be honest.

You guys think BGH is going to get the stick?

Seems like 10-20 cards will be nerfed from classic My guess on them:

*One part of the combo will get nerfed.
*Knife Juggler
*Divine Favor
*BGH
*Owl
*MAYBE Arcane Golem

Honestly beyond these the basic cards are fine.

Top Bottom