• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

I always thought they were going to do an ICC adventure and have Arthas be the last boss, but he is the best choice for the DK rep for sure.

Frostmourne would have to have the ability that if you used it to kill a minion, it would resurrect on your side.

Apathy

Arthas is a much bigger lore character than Kael or Vashj.

I could see those 2 as legendary cards, but I think they'll save Arthas for the inevitable Death Knight class. At least I hope that's what they do.

He would have to be (although I wouldn't put it past then to make him the purchasable hero portrait). The only other super well known dk is Darion Mograine, and even he isn't as well remembered by the community. I guess you could make an argument for Teron Gorefiend as he was the first ever made dk but not the same type of dk we play as in game or that arthas is, and provably less known now.

Darion Mograine or Gorefiend would work. It's not like Demon Hunters where they are screwed because Illidan is like, the only notable one. Unless they make shit up or use someone from Legion.

Apathy

Darion Mograine or Gorefiend would work. It's not like Demon Hunters where they are screwed because Illidan is like, the only notable one. Unless they make shit up or use someone from Legion.

The starting quest for dh in legion sets up two new demon hunters and you end up picking which one to follow. One if them might get big

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
My deck isn't good enough to play it slow. I need to take the hits I can get. Once I have a non-basic deck, then I can do that sort of thing.

The thing that bothers me about Reno is that I can completely outplay my opponent for the first 8 or so turns, and then he gets this card that's like "LOL, none of that mattered!" Meanwhile, I'm probably at 10 health because I have to Life Tap constantly to keep board advantage due to my weak creatures. It's maddening.

Except that you clearly didn't outplay your opponent. Consistent Reno decks are harder to pilot well. If anything, they outplayed you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's right. Reno decks thrive on depriving you of resources and momentum. You're not "outplaying" them in those early turns, they're spending the minimum amount of cards necessary to stay alive while setting up the Reno swing.

Apathy

Arthas for Death Knight class!

I also want him to have a Legendary weapon called Frostmourne.

Could be his hero power, equip frostmourn.

If it is a legendary weapon for him to play, make it immune to destroy affects (like frostmourn), something like 4 charges, maybe 3 damage, deathrattle any minion killed by frostmourn is revived for the dk as a 2/2 ghoul.

gutshot

The interesting thing about introducing a new hero now is presumably that would be the only way that the Standard card pool will permanently expand beyond its current limit.

Apathy

The interesting thing about introducing a new hero now is presumably that would be the only way that the Standard card pool will permanently expand beyond its current limit.

Someone a few pages back did mention something interesting, if they took a few of the concepts from naxx cards and made those (either the same or slightly tweaked) the standard stuff for dk. Would cut time for the devs when coming up with new class cards. Maybe a few minions and definitely new dk centric spells would still be needed.

So can we still get GvG packs from Arena rewards post Standard/Wild release?

Also, I can't see a new class coming out for a while. Like at least a year. They'll want to feel out Standard/Wild for a while before they throw on another variable.

MMaRsu

So can we still get GvG packs from Arena rewards post Standard/Wild release?

Also, I can't see a new class coming out for a while. Like at least a year. They'll want to feel out Standard/Wild for a while before they throw on another variable.

No

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As someone who only started playing less than a year ago what has been stopping Cairne being played?

-Stacks up poorly against 5hp minions, notably Belcher and 5/5s like Loatheb, Sylvanas, or Shieldmaiden.
-Slow, deathrattle cards do better when they have more attack than health. This made Piloted Sky Golem the better card.
-Doesn't save you against aggro, he was best against decks with poor answers like Priest (before Shrinkmeister and Entomb) and Control Warrior.
-Dr. Boom

Dahbomb

If I had to list a top 10 most likely cards to get nerfed from Classic, these would be it:

1) Savage Roar/FoN : One of these cards will get nerfed to deter the combo strat. Probably the single most important interaction to change going forward.

2) Knife Juggler : Even with removal of the tokens and Deathrattle cards, this minion is too string still. Should just be changed to minions played.

3) BGH : This card greatly limits usage of certain current cards and will limit future cards. It will probably get nerfed.

4) Divine Favor : Secret Paladin isn't really going to die until this card is nerfed. They will just vomit their secrets and then draw like 5 more cards. This has always been a busted card design wise.

5) Innervate : This card is a problem for the future but I am not sure how to change it. I think it should just be your next minion costs 2 less and the effect does not stack with another Innervate.

6) Alex : With Loatheb and Healbot gone, this gives Alex free reign to enable combo decks. If BGH gets nerfed then this card might even reach almost Dr Boom status (nah just kidding, Dr Boom still the GOAT).

7) Molten Giant : I think Handlock probably needs some nerf and this is the card to look at especially if they want to touch BGH. Just a slight one so that you don't get an insane turn when you hit 10 HP. This card has always enabled some BS in the game in the past.

8) Owl : Effect is too strong to be on such a cheap creature. I might pass on this if classes get more silence options or if they just move it to Hunter only.

9) Preparation : People have only focused on Druids having a ton of auto includes without looking at other classes mainly Rogue. Rogue's Prep basically makes it so that they have to think three times before adding a high cost combo spell. This probably won't get touched because no one is talking about it but it's most certainly a design constraint from them.

10) Azure Drake : Before there was Loatheb and Belcher, everyone used Azure Drake as their 5 drop. The double utility of spell damage and card draw with balanced stats was very good. Thing is that Blizzard hates auto include cantrips like the Drake so it might get a very small nerf. Think of the comparison between Ogre Magi and this card, then you will realize the difference in quality. For one more mana you get a draw AND the dragon tag. I am not really sure how they would touch it though, maybe distribute the stats so it's a 5/3.

-Stacks up poorly against 5hp minions, notably Belcher and 5/5s like Loatheb, Sylvanas, or Shieldmaiden.
-Slow, deathrattle cards do better when they have more attack than health. This made Piloted Sky Golem the better card.
-Doesn't save you against aggro, he was best against decks with poor answers like Priest (before Shrinkmeister and Entomb) and Control Warrior.
-Dr. Boom
Most of these aren't a factor anymore so it's a good time for Cairne's return.

gutshot

Potential teases about the upcoming expansion have been spotted in the announcement of the format change. Namely in the form of some type of pixie or sprite in the thumbnail of Brode's YT video:

maxresdefault.jpg

And another one in the image accompanying the blog post:

Those more versed in WoW lore care to speculate on what this may mean for the expansion?

On a related note, I've been trying to find the domain name for it in the WHOIS directory for the past couple days but haven't been able to find anything yet. Maybe these clues can get us on the right path and then it's just a case of trying out different potential expansion names until we hit on the correct one.

Ashodin

Fairytale expansion.

Ship it.

Just kidding.

What wowwiki says:

Sprite
Sprites are found in the Emerald Dream, where they share the world with a large contingent of other fey creatures such as pixies, and the like.

Emerald Dream is real?

Potential teases about the upcoming expansion have been spotted in the announcement of the format change. Namely in the form of some type of pixie or sprite in the thumbnail of Brode's YT video:

And another one in the image accompanying the blog post:

Those more versed in WoW lore care to speculate on what this may mean for the expansion?

I don't think the Year of the Kraken means anything, really. There's North Sea Kraken, but that was an enemy in Wrath of the Lich King AKA Northerend, and likely only there because TGT was Northerend, so I doubt theres any connection there. Other then that, Kraken suggests underwater, so Naga, and Vash'jir, a massive underwater zone in WoW. Now a lot of people hate Vash'jir but a lot of people hated Trial of the Crusader which TGT was based on so who knows.

Also, one expansion is hardly a year, lol

Fairytale expansion.

Ship it.

Just kidding.

What wowwiki says:

Emerald Dream is real?

It would be really, really hard to make an expansion about the Emerald Dream since it has never really been expanded on. But hey, Legion will have the Emerald Dream and Ysera shit in it. Only took them 10 years since Emerald Dream stuff has been planned since Beta.

gutshot

Well so far both of the expansions have been centered more around an event rather than a particular place in WoW lore. The adventures have been more centered around places.

So I suspect the new expansion will be similar in that it won't be called "The Emerald Dream" but maybe some event related to it?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I don't know. Honestly the more time passes, the less likely I think a new class is ever to come out. It's just too much work to catch a new class up with the old ones the longer you wait.

Well so far both of the expansions have been centered more around an event rather than a particular place in WoW lore. The adventures have been more centered around places.

So I suspect the new expansion will be similar in that it won't be called "The Emerald Dream" but maybe some event related to it?

The Grand Tournament was the Argent Tournament, a location in Wrath of the Lich King and 95% of the cards had to do with Northerend or the Argent Tournament event, or the dungeon Trial of the Champion and raid Trial of the Crusader which were on the Argent Tournament grounds. You are right for GvG, though. GvG was a hodgepodge from all over like Classic.

It is hard to pinpoint what Blizzard is going for right now. But unless they are prepared to make up tons of shit, they can't really do Emerald Dream and I don't think it's a big enough part of Legion to coincide with some kind of cross promotion. The most prominent Emerald Dream characters are Ysera, Malfurion and Cenarius. All in game already.

Dahbomb

On another topic, doesn't Anyfin Can Happen just spit in the face of every design pillar Team 5 has stated they follow?
Yes.

Design pillars in HS have always been somewhat of a joke to be honest. I don't think anyone took those seriously after they printed Mysterious Challenger.

It's why we get memes like these:
Both before and after the release of League of Explorers: A Hearthstone Adventure, we have been monitoring card balance as more Hearthstone games are played along with the new cards that have been added. After careful consideration we have decided to make balance changes to Goblins vs Gnomes (Expansion) and Curse of Naxxramas (Adventure).

The following balance changes will be made in an upcoming patch:

Goblins vs Gnomes cards cannot be purchased and cards from that set cannot be used in Standard
Curse of Naxxramas wings cannot be purchased unless you already own at least one wing. Cards from that set cannot be used in Standard.

GvG created a strategy that revolved around trying to make a good deck without requiring any TGT cards. Collecting cards and building decks make an overall game of Hearthstone more fun and compelling, but using 20+ GvG cards in one deck is not particularly fun or interactive. This was occurring when GvG wasn't used in combination with other cards like American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover among others.

The amount of cards Curse of Naxxramas allowed Hearthstone players to access ultimately ended up being too excessive for its low cost. This change will allow Blizzard more time to extract money from players.

Naxxramas and GvG cards that are being changed cannot be disenchanted for their full cost once this balance change goes live. The currently targeted date of this balance change is Spring 2016.

We will continue to remove card sets from Hearthstone whenever they become two-years-old. This is necessary in order to increase the variety of cards seen at all levels of play and make Hearthstone a more fun and interactive game for everyone.

I am going to reinforce that I think the next expansion will be Burning Crusade or Mists of Pandaria based, since those two areas have the least amount of focus. Besides Warlords of Draenor but that is still current so I doubt it will get a whole lot right now.

Ideas for card sets -

A simple "Pandaria" or "Outland" card set would be my guess. You could include characters like Vashj and Kael'thas that are missing from the game, but popular in the Outland set and wouldn't need to lock it down to something specific. These are entire continents that have been basically untapped aside from a few stragglers like Gruul and Shado-Pan Rider.

Mists of Pandaria -

Timeless Isle. I think there is enough packed onto that one area to make 100+ cards and multiple legendaries. They could draw from other areas of Pandaria as well like they did with TGT.

Burning Crusade

Caverns of Time. That was introduced in BC. I'm cheating!

Adventures -

Burning Crusade -

Karazhan. Obviously. One of the most beloved raids with a strong identity, plenty of enemies and bosses and a great aesthetic.

The Eye. Three dungeons plus a raid centering around Kael'thas Sunstrider.

Hellfire Citadel has a ton of dungeons and a few raids associated with it. They could even use the Warlors of Draenor Hellfire Citadel but that would be too much for one expansion.

MoP -

Throne of Thunder has a lot of bosses and you could also include Isle of Thunder. Also I want a Lei Shen legendary.

Siege of Orgrimmar...probably won't happen, considering the final boss is Garrosh Hellscream. Well, who knows. That doesn't exactly count it out entirely.

I don't know. Honestly the more time passes, the less likely I think a new class is ever to come out. It's just too much work to catch a new class up with the old ones the longer you wait.

Not with Standard. Just drop it with a new set cycling out a bunch of old cards. Make the new set an adventure mode that only has the new class's cards plus like 1 card for all other classes. Throw in a few basic cards for getting the class to ten.

I mean, there are a ton of ways to add a new class. I am purely speculating, but I really can't see a new class anytime soon. At this point with Standard they can add the class at any time going forward and the amount of cards the new class will be thrown up against will always be roughly the same.

Dahbomb

If Blizzard lets you DE GvG/Naxx cards for full cost after the format change then no one will need to buy the expansion if they plan to play Standard because you could just DE your garbage GvG cards and essentially trade up for good expansion cards.

That will never happen though.

Acerac

Banned
Yes.

Design pillars in HS have always been somewhat of a joke to be honest. I don't think anyone took those seriously after they printed Mysterious Challenger.

It's why we get memes like these:

We get jokes like that because people don't understand collectible card games.

Dahbomb

We get jokes like that because people don't understand collectible card games.
The orginal meme came from the Leeroy nerf and that was fine and dandy (the reason for the nerf that is).

Since then they haven't touched Combo Druid and then introduced Grim Patron combo, Mysterious Challenger and now Anyfin combo. They were very slow to change these non interactive strats and some still haven't been fixed so the initial Leeroy nerf explanation looks stupid in hindsight and meme worthy.

I can't wait to read the explanations of the classic cards that will get nerfed. The stream monsters are going to go HAM with the dank memes. I want Blizzard to reverse troll and just copy/paste the Leeroy explanation for SR/FoN.

TheMink

i shouldnt have fucking crafted boom i should have fucking waited it out

god damn it

bliz better give me some kind of dust refund. at least SOMETHING

I just crafted Golden Dr.7 Loatheb x2 Sludge Beltcher x2 Zombie Chow 😭

I'm actually fine with it, but I really enjoy collecting goldens and thought I was at least thought I was safe with adventures.

Now I want to just commit hard to classic and try to collect all of those, but I'm still a little hesitant because what if they change their mind on it?

Apathy

Got 2 packs today, one from arena and one from gold, I got lucky and very sad right after, each one had 1 legendary.

First one was Lorewalker Cho, second one had Captain Green Skin. Super lucky to get my first and second legendary, really sad one had to be Cho.

I just crafted Golden Dr.7 Loatheb x2 Sludge Beltcher x2 Zombie Chow ��

I'm actually fine with it, but I really enjoy collecting goldens and thought I was at least thought I was safe with adventures.

Now I want to just commit hard to classic and try to collect all of those, but I'm still a little hesitant because what if they change their mind on it?

Wait until announced nerfs at least.

Got 2 packs today, one from arena and one from gold, I got lucky and very sad right after, each one had 1 legendary.

First one was Lorewalker Cho, second one had Captain Green Skin. Super lucky to get my first and second legendary, really sad one had to be Cho.

Cho is good in some Brawls. Greenskin...might be ok at some point?

If Blizzard lets you DE GvG/Naxx cards for full cost after the format change then no one will need to buy the expansion if they plan to play Standard because you could just DE your garbage GvG cards and essentially trade up for good expansion cards.

That will never happen though.

they won't based on zeriyah's (?) post on the official forums

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
On another topic, doesn't Anyfin Can Happen just spit in the face of every design pillar Team 5 has stated they follow?

I would chalk this one up to Blizzard not thinking about how that would play out. I think the card was entirely meant to be a way for an aggro murloc Paladin to recover on the late game. Ben Brode's comments during its reveal show that.

That's why I don't think Blizzard will actually nerf the card. If any card gets nerfed, it'll be Old Murk Eye. Blizzard doesn't like weird charge cards that enable OTKs or huge bursts and that is ultimately what OME is and he is what is driving the OTK. Double Bluegill Double Warleader is only 12 damage.

Arthas for Death Knight class!

I also want him to have a Legendary weapon called Frostmourne.
The best thing Blizzard could do would be to create the Death Knight class and move some of the Naxx cards to it as class cards to keep them current. Even though they were crap cards, I love MtG 1/1s with regenerate. The only thing I love more than demons is an army of the undead.

Except that you clearly didn't outplay your opponent. Consistent Reno decks are harder to pilot well. If anything, they outplayed you.
I'm using a deck that costs less than 1000 dust against a guy that dropped Mal'ganis, Jaxxaris, Reno, Kel'Thuzad, AND Dreadsteed all in one match, and I still almost won. If that isn't outplaying, then I don't know what is. Sure, if you're talking two tweaked decks, then the disadvantage of solo cards is a big deal. If you're talking a tweaked deck vs. a beginner deck, then it's a different story.

5) Innervate : This card is a problem for the future but I am not sure how to change it. I think it should just be your next minion costs 2 less and the effect does not stack with another Innervate.

if they just made it refill 2 mana crystals it'd be pretty fair imo, it's not like druid doesn't have plenty of ways to gain card draw anyhow.

if you're sad you pulled cho look up some fun cho decks and have some fun in casual. i've faced some decks that while they aren't competitive, they put me in hilariously bad spots if the cho dude set them up correctly, don't be sad you pulled him put together some LOL decks and enjoy the times you draw into stupid situations that totally handcuff your opponent :)

My Ragnaros had 3 targets, 4 targets, and then 5 targets. Goes face each time when I needed him to hit any minion each time. 33% chance, 25% chance, and 20% chance = 1.65% chance to occur.

Dammit Ragnaros wtf.

The best thing Blizzard could do would be to create the Death Knight class and move some of the Naxx cards to it as class cards to keep them current. Even though they were crap cards, I love MtG 1/1s with regenerate. The only thing I love more than demons is an army of the undead.

I'm using a deck that costs less than 1000 dust against a guy that dropped Mal'ganis, Jaxxaris, Reno, Kel'Thuzad, AND Dreadsteed all in one match, and I still almost won. If that isn't outplaying, then I don't know what is. Sure, if you're talking two tweaked decks, then the disadvantage of solo cards is a big deal. If you're talking a tweaked deck vs. a beginner deck, then it's a different story.

Malganis and jaxx are both a 9 drop though unless you get it in hand and a void caller which is still a 4 drop. And if they are holding all of these then they are essentially holding dead cards until they have the mana to play them. You play Zoo right? Your deck is built around having the board and playing aggressive. Reno isnt so just because the life points may be close in the end doesn't mean it was a close match. Different decks have different win conditions. Like someone who plays a demonlock might seem like they are close and in the verge of losing but they could of had control the whole time while the other player doesn't realize it.

I personally look at any match in 3 category at any point. Who has life advantage? Who has board advantage? And who has card advantage?

For example a game where you might have life advantage but the other player has board and card I wouldn't say the player with the life advantage is winning or played great.

Then again you can always top deck lethal from burst.

Grover

Banned
lol wut

hearthstone.png

i didn't know Blizz wanted me to play Assassins so bad,

and yea, i lied about only buying GvG packs from now on >.<

Top Bottom