• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hearthstone GAF need help!

Trying to go back and clear the last adventure on heroic, but I'm stuck at Skelasaurous Hex. The bullshit RNG drops he gets with his hero power have me legit shook.

It's always use hero power get Dr Boom. Use hero power get summon stone and use spell. Use hero power drop KT. Use hero power get Leroy for face leathal.

FTL.

accel

As a recent newcomer to hearthstone am i best advised sticking with classic and LoE with the upcoming changes?

Depends on what you are after - if you are after ranks, stick to buying packs that are going to survive the Standard, if you are after a full collection, do the reverse and buy GvG packs (and buy at least one wing of Naxx).

I have beaten every other archetype numerous times through smart play. Just not Reno.

I meant it tongue-in-cheek, like how you QQ about Dr. Balanced (who, again, frustrates me WAY less than Reno).

The thing is we aren't taking joy in your frustration, you have to realize that many of us spent months playing against decks that required no thought other than "hit face" and now we have an option to turn the tables a bit and we're celebrating. I'm sure it is frustrating as a new player to come up against cards that are clearly better than yours, sometimes i feel that way playing against paladin and I have a pretty size able collection haha.

As a recent newcomer to hearthstone am i best advised sticking with classic and LoE with the upcoming changes?

Stick with classic primarily. The cards you get will remain legal in standard format forever.

If you don't care what format you play, classic cards are still worth getting.

LOE is worth getting as it will remain legal in standard for over a year. It will not be legal in standard once they release the first expansion of 2017.

Every card is playable in the wild format. Which to be fair will likely still be pretty popular based on feedback I've seen from the format change.

I call bullshit on this guy's blindfold. Around 18:35 he snipes the end turn button.

Pooya

I'm guessing Alexstrazsa is in for a nerf too, both Kibler and Reynad have that as an example of problematic card. I will miss it if it goes away but I can see why. Blizzard always hated freeze mage,

embalm

What existing cards do you think will finally have their time to shine?

Here are 3 that I think will come out swinging:

Savage Combatant: This card was almost good enough to enter the meta, but Shredder kept it out. Now it will trade even with every 4 drop and allow some big card advantage swings if it goes unchecked.

Gadgetzan Jouster: This card couldn't top Zombie Chow, but now it is one of the best options a control deck has for a 1 cost minion. It should find a place in any control deck that is getting edged out by aggro.

Ragnoros: He has been out of the meta for a long while, because of all the token creation available in the game. With Implosion and Muster out, he might climb back to the top as most valuable late game.

gutshot

Trying to go back and clear the last adventure on heroic, but I'm stuck at Skelasaurous Hex. The bullshit RNG drops he gets with his hero power have me legit shook.

It's always use hero power get Dr Boom. Use hero power get summon stone and use spell. Use hero power drop KT. Use hero power get Leroy for face leathal.

FTL.

If I remember correctly, I beat him with mill rogue. Try to keep his hand full as much as possible to nullify his hero power.

Tomcat

Savage Combatant: This card was almost good enough to enter the meta, but Shredder kept it out. Now it will trade even with every 4 drop and allow some big card advantage swings if it goes unchecked.

Gadgetzan Jouster: This card couldn't top Zombie Chow, but now it is one of the best options a control deck has for a 1 cost minion. It should find a place in any control deck that is getting edged out by aggro.

Ragnoros: He has been out of the meta for a long while, because of all the token creation available in the game. With Implosion and Muster out, he might climb back to the top as most valuable late game.

So start the game depending on a rng card and finish it with another rng card
Classic hearthstone lol

Depending on what comes out of the next expansion, I think I will be able to use my golden Cairne again in my CW deck, especially with Belcher out of his way and Shieldmaiden leaving.

Levi

Banned
TgIiHMT.jpg

The kind of hand that won't be possible in the spring. ;(

accel

I don't know about cards that will come out swinging, but as it stands now, I am going to make a face hunter / face shaman. Aggro seems to be winning big from excluding the two first expansions.

(In reality, I am waiting for the balance changes. I hope there are many.)

When in doubt buy classic packs.

As someone who has been playing since beta I almost want to say that you should turn around and walk away...

Depends on what you are after - if you are after ranks, stick to buying packs that are going to survive the Standard, if you are after a full collection, do the reverse and buy GvG packs (and buy at least one wing of Naxx).

Stick with classic primarily. The cards you get will remain legal in standard format forever.

If you don't care what format you play, classic cards are still worth getting.

LOE is worth getting as it will remain legal in standard for over a year. It will not be legal in standard once they release the first expansion of 2017.

Every card is playable in the wild format. Which to be fair will likely still be pretty popular based on feedback I've seen from the format change.

Thank you for the advice :) i am not fussed on what format i play, as long as it is enjoyable.
I'll concentrate on getting classic packs for the moment then purchase LoE and Naxx as they both look like good fun.

embalm

I don't know about cards that will come out swinging, but as it stands now, I am going to make a face hunter / face shaman. Aggro seems to be winning big from excluding the two first expansions.

(In reality, I am waiting for the balance changes. I hope there are many.)

As a whole I think Face Hunter is the biggest winner as a deck out of the gate. I'm sure the next expansion will have low cost control options, but Face Hunter has a strong core.

Funnel cakes will probably show up in a lot of decks now that the 4 slot has some breathing room. I don't know if it's enough to hold back aggro, but if it fits into enough decks it could slow the meta.

accel

BTW, regarding the future for Wild - I apologize for what might be perceived as saltiness in advance. Since Standard is going to be the tournament format, I think most of the balancing efforts will concentrate on Standard as well. That's part of why they are splitting the formats to begin with - to make part of the game in which people compete with the official blessing and support easier to balance. Now, that's all well and good, but that also means that they will likely NOT spend too much effort balancing Wild. Because the logic is - if you want some semblance of balance, you go Standard. So, Wild will just be a big pot of cards with crazy combinations (and I am fine with it, really).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUupMooIJYo

Basically kibler is saying that it's a shame that classic and basic cards are being left in forever, because it basically means that FoN/Savage Roar, Alexstraza, BGH, and the like either are in the game until the end of time, or they get nerfed to the point that they're useless which effects both Standard and Wild.

So if you nerf Alexstraza, control combo decks can no longer be a thing, even though Wild is supposed to be where you can go and always play your old decks, or if you nerf BGH, then there'll be nothing to stop Dr. Boom from getting completely out of hand, and it really doesn't sound like blizzard is going to give any consideration to wild mode balance.

Another thing Kibler didn't mention but I think really hurts wild format is this:

If you want any cards you missed out on for Wild play or just to fill out your collection, you’ll be able to craft them using Arcane Dust—even cards from Adventures that were previously un-craftable.

I know wild was likely going to become an unbalanced mess eventually after a bunch of releases that don't consider the Wild cards, but I don't get why they're forcing it to be an unbalanced mess right off the bat.

FTL.

I used a debuff Paladin deck with Humility, Aldor, Repentence, Equality, and Keeper. It also had Sacred Trial and Mind Control Tech to keep his board from getting out of control. It took me a few tries with that deck, but I won by killing King Krush with Sacred Trial and then just holding the board from there on.

Dragner

Blizzard ahould listen to Kibler carefully, I mean, the guy is a MTG hall of famer and was lead developer of the original WoW TCG (for many, a game superior to what HS is), ascension,solforge and others. The guy knows what he is talking about.

Dahbomb

BTW, regarding the future for Wild - I apologize for what might be perceived as saltiness in advance. Since Standard is going to be the tournament format, I think most of the balancing efforts will concentrate on Standard as well. That's part of why they are splitting the formats to begin with - to make part of the game in which people compete with the official blessing and support easier to balance. Now, that's all well and good, but that also means that they will likely NOT spend too much effort balancing Wild. Because the logic is - if you want some semblance of balance, you go Standard. So, Wild will just be a big pot of cards with crazy combinations (and I am fine with it, really).
Yeah that's the point.

Wild is the wild west. Anything goes in there.

My main issue with retaining Classic in its entirety is that the classes are going to use the same set of cards forever. Rogues will ALWAYS use Backstab/Prep/SI7 unless they do something about that. And classes that are gimped at the fundamental level will always remain that way.

Though this is just the first season, we will see how it plays out and maybe Blizzard adjusts things for the next one if the need arises.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm sure Blizzard will be considering modifying the "core" Standard cards in due time. Consider they don't like announcing things in advance, and people are having enough trouble already fully understanding the implications of the formats separation, I think they're just being careful about disclosing information clearly rather than being super transparent about what they're planning years ahead. I don't see why they should be discussing stuff like rotating or "curating" the core set beyond what they've said already considering that we haven't even started playing Standard yet.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, Unstable Portal has been crazy for me lately. I think I've gotten no less than 7 legendaries from it in the past week; Iron Juggernaut, KT, Varian Wrynn, Icehawl, Velen, Ragnaros (I lost that game because it went face against a Warlock with Mal'Ganis up lol)... I just got Rafam from one against a Secret Paladin (sadly didn't even need it, I had a crazy good hand all game long). It's seriously like my game is bugged; I don't think I've gotten anything below a 6 drop in a while.

Gonna miss you esportal :'(

Heropon

Paladins should be erased from arena. After surviving a murloc knight that spawned another murloc knight, yet another murloc knight, a keeper of Uldaman, a consecration, a truesilver champion and a kraken then Tirion appears. And he BMs me, ugh.

Flamestrike is really tame compared to this. And I'm only 2-2, I want my gold back!

/salt

Dahbomb

Unstable Portal being gone is almost essential for the professional side of HS. The card was just too much. It truly belongs in Wild.

Same for cards like Shredder and Dr Boom. Nevermind that they were best in slot cards for every deck that needed to fill that slot.. the RNG factor alone on the card made them excruciating to play against.

Fireblend

Banned
"Add a random minion to your hand, it costs (2) less than the highest-mana minion on the board. Deal damage equal to its attack to a random enemy"

FeD.nL

I wouldn't put so much into the name - so "Wild" is a flashy word, big deal, it is just a small detail, it doesn't make or break the format. You can call your current tournament "Wild" right now, if you want, heck, if someone is so stocked on using the word Wild, they can sell their Standard tournament as "Wilder than Wild!" or whatever, it doesn't matter much.

What does is participation - and, while, as you say, "Wild" is going to be interesting for long-time players, it's not going to be interesting to everyone else - because they'd be outmatched. Add pressure from Blizzard who said that the official tournaments are going to be Standard and Wild is just going to be one more extra rating which you'd be able to obtain if you want to stray from the default. The first thing guarantees that Wild will get only a small portion of new players, most new players will be going Standard. The second thing guarantees that most of the buzz on streams will be about Standard as well. If things stay this way, Wild will end up being an outsider - sure, people would play it and have tournaments from time to time similarly to how they make their own tournaments now with external rules, like Challengestone, but...

We'll see, of course.

For companies a name means everything, it's not just a small detail. Let's take Red Bull if their e-sports marketing budget allows them to sponsor one tournament format, which one do you think they'll choose?

For viewership it does not really matter how much of the playerbase is participating in the format. If you look at the MTG Pro tour streams a Modern Pro tour gets roughly the same amount of viewers as a Standard Pro tour gets while Standard has a lot more players. Also since this is a digital card game there is a cap on what a Wild deck can cost in dust. So if a new player is interested in the format he/she doesn't have to shell out hundreds of euros/dollars to assemble a deck of out of print cards. A Dr. Boom will always be 1600 dust away for a player and not magically cost 3200 dust because the packs are no longer available.

Sure Blizzard will not organize Wild tournaments but as we've seen the past 2 years we don't need Blizzard for big tournaments. For parties like Tempo Storm it's a great way to dive into that hole and provide a great platform for their sponsors to show themselves. Wild will always be the more powerful format and the difference in power will only grow. People will watch it. It will not be just a side event. I fully expect it to be a healthy format with a healthy tournament scene that will not be pushed to the side but can very much coexist with standard.

bjaelke

Blizzard ahould listen to Kibler carefully, I mean, the guy is a MTG hall of famer and was lead developer of the original WoW TCG (for many, a game superior to what HS is), ascension,solforge and others. The guy knows what he is talking about.

He was one of the invited community members Blizzard asked for input regarding this.

I played Reno mage to Rank 14 last night and then switched to Control Hunter (for fun! I knew what I was doing! D<) and leveled up all the way Rank 17. I guess it's too early in the season for shenanigans. xD

Anyways, I keep seeing all these posts about Blizzard not balancing with Wild in mind. WotC balances with Legacy, Modern, and Standard in mind not to mention Commander and 2-headed Giant more recently. I'm sure Blizzard can manage not to break Wild too much. The fact that there is still a ladder and rewards for Wild gives me a little faith that they know what they are doing.

sibarraz

Banned
Hey man. It's not like a real Zoo list is cheap. There are lots of adventure cards in those decks. You could have easily landed on a ghetto Midrange Druid or something but choose what you choose.

Not to be a dick... but after a year plus of aggression ruin ladder, watching those awful decks get fucked by Reno is the best thing ever.

When was aggro ruining ladder this last year? face hunter wasn't really that dominant unlike patron, midrange druid or secret paladin. even aggro shaman was op for like a week or two at best.

I never understood why aggro face is more annoying that all the other op decks on this game, but well, everyone has different points of view I guess

Owzers

i need them to nerf Mysterious Challenger so i have dust for legendaries i didn't make instead of Dr. Boom and Malganis. Do your worst Blizzard.

Dahbomb

When was aggro ruining ladder this last year? face hunter wasn't really that dominant unlike patron, midrange druid or secret paladin. even aggro shaman was op for like a week or two at best.

I never understood why aggro face is more annoying that all the other op decks on this game, but well, everyone has different points of view I guess
Secret Paladin is basically an aggro deck. It's such a fine line between what Secret Paladin is supposed to be and just Yolo face decks

Also Aggro Druid dominated as well. Right now the top decks are Secret Paladin, Combo Druid, Tempo Mage and Zoolock. All of these decks utilize s similar strategy... play for tempo early game with effecient minions then transition to face damage to finish game quick. They all run Shredders, Dr Boom, effecient over powered 2 drops and include burst damage.

I mean you can make the case that Zoolock/Demonlock isn't really an aggro deck but when you have such a high amount of 2 drops/1 drops plus Knife Jugglers.. well the difference isn't too relevant.

Secret Paladin is basically an aggro deck. It's such a fine line between what Secret Paladin is supposed to be and just Yolo face decks

Also Aggro Druid dominated as well. Right now the top decks are Secret Paladin, Combo Druid, Tempo Mage and Zoolock. All of these decks utilize s similar strategy... play for tempo early game with effecient minions then transition to face damage to finish game quick. They all run Shredders, Dr Boom, effecient over powered 2 drops and include burst damage.

I mean you can make the case that Zoolock/Demonlock isn't really an aggro deck but when you have such a high amount of 2 drops/1 drops plus Knife Jugglers.. well the difference isn't too relevant.

That's not a good way to look at it from a deckbuilding aspect though. Zoolock has an advantage over decks that typically do well against Face Hunter and Shaman decks simply because it's damage is less finite. Zoolock manages to hold down the board while pushing damage in the interim and having a board that is sticky. With Hunter you can just outlast it with healing and light removal; on the other hand, you can heal against Zoo all day and still lose. Same thing with Secret Paladin.

Dahbomb

That's not a good way to look at it from a deckbuilding aspect though. Zoolock has an advantage over decks that typically do well against Face Hunter and Shaman decks simply because it's damage is less finite. Zoolock manages to hold down the board while pushing damage in the interim and having a board that is sticky. With Hunter you can just outlast it with healing and light removal; on the other hand, you can heal against Zoo all day and still lose. Same thing with Secret Paladin.
Not if they are playing Midrange/Hybrid Hunter where the damage slowly ramps up once the Highmanes and Dr Booms come down. People call that the "Midrange" Hunter but it's basically another tempo deck like Zoolock/Secret Paladin/Tempo Mage etc. that uses the same core philosophy of broken 2 drops, Shredders and Dr Boom.

Aggro Shaman is really the only true face only deck that is relevant these days. The other decks are just aggressive tempo oriented decks that just play effecient minions on curve. That's what people hate because that's all they see really.

Acerac

Banned

People will bitch about everything. In this thread we have different people whining about control, mid game, and aggro decks.

If people lose matches they complain.

Haines

Banned
Hmm. I womder if its possible dragon pally becomes real come spring.

Hard for me to care about the game right now, considering it will essentially be upside down soon enough. And no sense of playing arena and blowing gold that could be ised on new packs.

So ill just do my dailys quick until then, and play mtg drafti guess,

Apathy

How are Lady Vashj and Kael'Thas not in the game yet?

I expect them to be in soon. Kael'thas battle cry does 2 damaged to enemy minions and hero when played and deathrattle that brings him back as his zombie version with weaker stats, vashj comes with two 1/1 water elementals with deathrattles that buff her by 1/1 when they die. Kinda to play off their wow counterparts.

Top Bottom