• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Dahbomb

Without watching a match from both perspectives it's difficult to say who out played who.

Not sure why that guy was using Dreadsteed though.

Zemm

yeah unless that warlock was making bad trades there's no way you can say you outplayed him. It's pretty common and in many cases better to let a face deck build up a board (without it getting too crazy) before wiping it with a hellfire/lightbomb/equality+consecrate and so on.

Tarazet

if they just made it refill 2 mana crystals it'd be pretty fair imo, it's not like druid doesn't have plenty of ways to gain card draw anyhow.

if you're sad you pulled cho look up some fun cho decks and have some fun in casual. i've faced some decks that while they aren't competitive, they put me in hilariously bad spots if the cho dude set them up correctly, don't be sad you pulled him put together some LOL decks and enjoy the times you draw into stupid situations that totally handcuff your opponent :)

Cho Miracle Rogue. Go.

Thank you. Both of you.

I've chatted with Ben Brode a couple of times at work, I truly don't believe he's incompetent or just in it for the money. Dude seriously loves card games and HS in particular.

I don't think anyone here believes Brode and his team are lazy or incompetent because that's just ridiculous, I think the HS community would appreciate more communication.

Dahbomb

HS community wanted more frequent balance changes but that clearly wasn't feasible when formats were being planned. That caused friction between the community and Blizzard. People thought Blizzard was being lazy and stubborn with the balance changes when they were thinking more long term.

This is what happens with lack of communication, people start making assumptions.

I've literally read both sentiments on Gaf. : p

Developers being lazy is like the last thing I will jump to. It's a pretty gross sentiment.

HS community wanted more frequent balance changes but that clearly wasn't feasible when formats were being planned. That caused friction between the community and Blizzard. People thought Blizzard was being lazy and stubborn with the balance changes when they were thinking more long term.

This is what happens with lack of communication, people start making assumptions.

Stubborn however isn't really inaccurate when it comes to Blizzard.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I certainly don't think anyone who works in video games is lazy. That seems impossible based on what I superficially know about the industry. I'm almost certain that they all work very hard at the various things they do. They most likely work much harder than I do.

I might disagree with the various decisions they all reach, but calling them lazy or incompetent is just ignorant of how the industry works.

It seems with Hearthstone (and as far as I can tell every Blizzard game that I have played), they just can't find a good way to communicate with the massive player base without causing some kind of backlash. It's a hard problem communicating intent in video games (or card games for that matter), so I get it. At least they are trying with the Ben Brode videos explaining his thoughts on various things (more of those would be great!).

Slashlen

Another effect of formats that I don't think people have thought about too much is that it's going to be easier for Blizzard to go with it's policy of minimal nerfs for expansions. Unless they break things so bad they need to fix it now, they'll just wait for the card to get cycled out.

Apathy

Developers being lazy is like the last thing I will jump to. It's a pretty gross sentiment.

Stubborn however isn't really inaccurate when it comes to Blizzard.

I haven't been around HS for long enough to say it about that team, but from playing Blizzard games since Warcraft all the way to now, they have on more than one occasion been very hesitant and stubborn to change something that was in some way broken. Even when things were brought up to them in betas about how certain things could be abused they shrugged it off as they were more right than the people telling them what the issues were. At the very least they do end up fixing the issues but it usually takes a while.

Grover

Banned
entomb is the dumbest card ive ever seen in my life, if that costs 6 mana then Recylce should cost 4

im done for the night

Malganis and jaxx are both a 9 drop though unless you get it in hand and a void caller which is still a 4 drop. And if they are holding all of these then they are essentially holding dead cards until they have the mana to play them. You play Zoo right? Your deck is built around having the board and playing aggressive. Reno isnt so just because the life points may be close in the end doesn't mean it was a close match. Different decks have different win conditions. Like someone who plays a demonlock might seem like they are close and in the verge of losing but they could of had control the whole time while the other player doesn't realize it.

I personally look at any match in 3 category at any point. Who has life advantage? Who has board advantage? And who has card advantage?

For example a game where you might have life advantage but the other player has board and card I wouldn't say the player with the life advantage is winning or played great.

Then again you can always top deck lethal from burst.
He had a pretty great curve at the start. But like I said, I got him to lethal range twice.

Without watching a match from both perspectives it's difficult to say who out played who.

Not sure why that guy was using Dreadsteed though.
Reno, with Kel'Thuzad, so you might as well include one, I guess. I dropped an Owl on it immediately.

yeah unless that warlock was making bad trades there's no way you can say you outplayed him. It's pretty common and in many cases better to let a face deck build up a board (without it getting too crazy) before wiping it with a hellfire/lightbomb/equality+consecrate and so on.
No wipes. Just a better deck.

Dahbomb

entomb is the dumbest card ive ever seen in my life, if that costs 6 mana then Recylce should cost 4

im done for the night
Well of course, Recycle is garbage.

Entomb is fair but it's over powered if the game goes late in Control vs Control match up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here are the cards I think need adjusting

1. FoN/Savage Roar - Really limits the design space for druid going forward. I kind of like Force of Nature in a vacuum as a possible board clear option. Maybe turn the treants into 3/3's that can't attack face or something. That gives Druid more of a board clear option than they have had.

2. Frost Nova/Cone of Cold/Blizzard - Honestly there's just too many cards doing basically the same thing here. Freeze Mage is amongst the least fun decks to queue up against so this is more of a "health of the game" change more than anything. Matchups should not be THAT lopsided because then it feels like skill doesn't matter, and Freeze Mage has more lopsided matchups than basically any other deck.

3. Divine Favor - This is very much like the old Starving Buzzard and Unleash Combo imo. I don't think punishing an opponent for holding cards should really be a thing.

4. Master of Disguise - Make it so she only gives stealth for a single turn, just to open up the design space here.

5. Knife Juggler - This card is perfectly fine when he deals damage based on minions played from the hand. He's bullshit whenever a card emerges that spawns 1/1 tokens. Just change "summon" to "play".

6. Big Game Hunter - I still think he's probably one of the most overrated cards in the game but honestly changing it to a 3/2 wouldn't hurt. Doesn't kill a card that the game needs but it does cut the swing a bit and cuts your reach if you make a tempo BGH play. Like nobody plays an Owl or Spellbreaker for tempo because they have bad stats for their cost, but you might play a tempo BGH. Outside of removing the giants from Standard entirely you cannot make this card unplayable.

And that's it. I would change basically nothing else.

Card advantage in 2016 constructed EleGiggle

It matters in match like against Freeze Mage. For example Mage is holdinh 8 cards with 4 cards left in the deck.

Your turn you pop his ice block. His turn he plays another secret (ice block) then burns you. Your next turn you pop the 2nd ice block. His next turn he kills you.

You can't really say he got lucky if anything he would have to get really unlucky if he wasn't holding the 2nd ice block with only 4 then 3 cards left in his deck.

Tagyhag

So will the classic pack EVER leave rotation?

If not I feel like I should get every card in the set before getting that year's pack.

ZealousD

Since most Deathrattle minions are gone now, Knife Juggler won't be as bullshit. You won't have haunted creeper on board then play KJ for a free two dmg.

He's OP as long as cards like UTH, Muster, and Implosion are in the game. UTH is staying. Other cards could emerge or be in the design space and they have to think about Knife Juggler before being printed. If you change him to minions played then he is still good.

ZealousD

Somehow I existed on GAF for 9 years and 24k posts and never got a tag.

Not sure if closure?

ZealousD

This mod laughs but people legit thought in this very community that Blizzard wasn't going to do what they did for fear of backlash.

Lyng

He had a pretty great curve at the start. But like I said, I got him to lethal range twice.

Reno, with Kel'Thuzad, so you might as well include one, I guess. I dropped an Owl on it immediately.

No wipes. Just a better deck.

Sounds like he outplayed you hard. He knows he has the late game, as Reno lock you want to get as low as possible before using your best cards. This way he has you over committing until you run out of steam, and he succeeded.

Frenden

Banned
Knowing they'll be around forever has me tempted to craft my last missing Classic cards.

Millhouse
Tink
Onyxia
Malygos*

*Probably should've crafted Maly ages ago for fun decks if nothing else, actually.

I kinda wish Tink hadn't been nerfed. It was a BGH that required a bit of luck.

Dahbomb

I kinda wish Tink hadn't been nerfed. It was a BGH that required a bit of luck.
Nah maybe if it only targeted enemy minions it would've been acceptable but it could also target friendly minions and Paladins could play turn 2 hero power then turn 3 Tinkmaster on the token to potentially get a 5/5 and win the game off of that play.

Sounds like he outplayed you hard. He knows he has the late game, as Reno lock you want to get as low as possible before using your best cards. This way he has you over committing until you run out of steam, and he succeeded.

That's how I've always approached games as renolock. Survive til late game when the opponent is top decking or has over committed tp board. It's luring them into a trap.

It's the nuance of reno decks in general that makes them so fun to play.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Not with Standard. Just drop it with a new set cycling out a bunch of old cards. Make the new set an adventure mode that only has the new class's cards plus like 1 card for all other classes. Throw in a few basic cards for getting the class to ten.

I mean, there are a ton of ways to add a new class. I am purely speculating, but I really can't see a new class anytime soon. At this point with Standard they can add the class at any time going forward and the amount of cards the new class will be thrown up against will always be roughly the same.

It's possible, but they can't do this and also claim to care about supporting Wild as a format.

Why is it so hard for people to admit that you can completely outplay a person and still lose because they have paid for better cards?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I haven't been around HS for long enough to say it about that team, but from playing Blizzard games since Warcraft all the way to now, they have on more than one occasion been very hesitant and stubborn to change something that was in some way broken. Even when things were brought up to them in betas about how certain things could be abused they shrugged it off as they were more right than the people telling them what the issues were. At the very least they do end up fixing the issues but it usually takes a while.

With all due respect... they actually were more right than the people complaining virtually every time. There's a reason Blizzard is so incredibly successful.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Why is it so hard for people to admit that you can completely outplay a person and still lose because they have paid for better cards?

Because it's not what happened? If you think this game is p2w, especially because of Reno, well, it makes me think you're very new to the game. And frankly, you're coming across as pretty arrogant in your assumption. Why can't you admit it's possible you were outplayed?

Because it's not what happened? If you think this game is p2w, especially because of Reno, well, it makes me think you're very new to the game. And frankly, you're coming across as pretty arrogant in your assumption. Why can't you admit it's possible you were outplayed?
Um, I know this game is P2W, or at least you need a ton of time into it to get the good cards. Unless you want to show me someone winning a tournament with the basic cards you start with.

My win rate went up exponentially after I bought the first Naxx wing. I paid to win more.

Grover

Banned
im going to enjoy playing molten giants even more when BGH is gone,

i might even buy some mountain giants, you dont really see mountains in handlock anymore do you?

ZealousD

I think a cool way they could implement death knights is to run with the "hero class" concept. Make it something special that you earn after meeting some set of conditions, like hitting level 10 with every class. Then you have to play a mini-adventure to unlock the class.

God I can not fucking wait until Standard. Paladin better not see a single decent card in the next expansion either.

If that's the case I don't think Paladin will be played much at all save a few Any Fin decks. I might be fine with that though if it means I don't have to hear Uther's smug "well met" anymore.

Secret Paladin will still be a good deck to play mark my words.

Unless they nerf MC.

With the absence of Avenge and "the perfect curve" it will be harder to find a decent deck but might still be playable. Maybe even Sacred Trial will get it's time to shine! (lol)

inky

But without Avenge MC won't get into BGH range, which means it is actually a buff! :p

Not really, but sometimes hoping Avenge lands on MC is your only way out.

I think a cool way they could implement death knights is to run with the "hero class" concept. Make it something special that you earn after meeting some set of conditions, like hitting level 10 with every class. Then you have to play a mini-adventure to unlock the class.

I would love something like this because I just enjoy the adventure content a lot overall. It's why I'm a bit sad for newer players and how they might not be able to play Naxx / BRM / LoE when they get rotated out. I don't think I've seen a definitive answer about what's going to happen with those after they get removed from the store.

Granted, I could of missed it if it's been mentioned already.

Frenden

Banned
Nah maybe if it only targeted enemy minions it would've been acceptable but it could also target friendly minions and Paladins could play turn 2 hero power then turn 3 Tinkmaster on the token to potentially get a 5/5 and win the game off of that play.
Fair enough.

Top Bottom