• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

rickyson1

When a turn 2 Mad Bomber ends your arena run by killing a Shielded Minibot...

Overall I feel like the vicious cycle of facing insane decks too early on almost ruins arena for me. Like, I had a pretty insane paladin deck, but then I faced an even crazier paladin deck and a mage deck that was even better that. So now I was at 0-2 with deck that should be at 2-0 and had to crush some poor bastards hopes of not going 0-3. So basically when 2 insane decks face at 0-0, it leads to a domino effect of multiple people getting fucked and no one having any fun.

I can usually go 5 to 8 wins and have even gone all the way a couple of times but the occasional 0-3 and 1-3 runs are the most soul-crushingly unfun experiences in gaming for me. I'd rather face secret paladins all day in ranked. I try to tell myself "these happen, move on. It's not like you even lose that much gold or anything", but I just can't do that. I hate every second of it.

maybe it's just me but I feel like there's not a lot of middle ground in general right now

i've been winning more than ever overall and especially more high win runs but i've also had way more low win runs than i've had in a long time

Par Score

Knife Juggler made redundant by Mad Bomber you mean.

I must have missed all of the people complaining that Mad Bomber is OP.

We all know that Blizzard only swing the nerf bat rarely, but they swing it as hard as they can. Whatever they do to the Classic / Basic cards they choose to nerf is going to make them all practically unplayable.

Speaking of Knife Juggler, I miss the days where you played Leeroy against someone who had a Juggler and then lost because both knives hit Leeroy.

Those were the good ol' days.

dralla

VanCleef is so broken in this Tavern Brawl, holy crap. I keep getting him early too. Just had him on turn one, two coins to get him out, 6/6 turn one play.

Tacitus_

We all know that Blizzard only swing the nerf bat rarely, but they swing it as hard as they can. Whatever they do to the Classic / Basic cards they choose to nerf is going to make them all practically unplayable.

If juggler is going to be random target, you might as well play bomber. You're not going to get 3+ juggles regularly.

You guys can count me as one of the surprised ones if they change Knife Juggler at all. With the removal of Imp-losion and Muster for Battle, along with other minions like Creeper and Shredder, what other insane combos are left? The only thing is Unleash the Hounds but you're looking at a 5 Mana, two card combination that only does well against a board you're already losing to, which also gets cleared by next to all board clears. Sure it sucks to lose against aggressive decks but they should still exsist and they need good cards too.

That all being said, we still have no clue as to where they're taking the game and how they want it to be played with Standard. So for all I know games will be super slowed down and last at least 8+ turns every game or something.

Pooya

I didn't play ladder for like 3 days or so, came back to finish some quest. Match making has been hilarious.

Q'd as druid, all I got was secret paly and zoo. All of them curve gods. Like mulligan everything keep, everything flawless, me never ramp...

I said screw it, q as secret paly.... First match it's freeze mage! Where were you when I was playing druid all those games? lol. Next up is a reno warrior with the best luck ever and even sent me a friend request after me losing, I guess secret paly scum deserves it. lol

I couldn't win at all. People are so much better than me.

Tacitus_

egg paladin in the tournament

Apathy

I didn't play ladder for like 3 days or so, came back to finish some quest. Match making has been hilarious.

Q'd as druid, all I got was secret paly and zoo. All of them curve gods. Like mulligan everything keep, everything flawless, me never ramp...

I said screw it, q as secret paly.... First match it's freeze mage! Where were you when I was playing druid all those games? lol. Next up is a reno warrior with the best luck ever and even sent me a friend request after me losing, I guess secret paly scum deserves it. lol

I couldn't win at all. People are so much better than me.

I had the do 100 damage quest so I went into it with my priest. Did 5 matches straight vs only priests. It was weird

Dahbomb

Hey guys what's going on in here? Oh I see there's a Hearthstone professional tournament going on.. let's see what's happening in it....

*Sees Secret Paladin mirror

Oh ok... carry on then.

Mulgrok

Read my post again, I edited in extra stuff.

You have to be crazy if you think Dr Boom wins games alone. Dr Boom comes too late in the game to be able to do that. The cards that have the most impact on a game are in fact cards like Knife Juggler which gain the early lead and snowball from there.

There's no card in the game that wins games by itself. If there was the community would just ban it out because that's just silly to even comprehend.

Unstable portal can win games by itself.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You know, except for all of those times where they nerfed cards and they still see play.

Unleash the Hounds
Eaglehorn Bow
Soulfire

You know, without even mentioning all the cards that were nerfed in beta and still see play.

Pooya

Unstable portal can win games by itself.

just won a game in HCT.

Turns out full rush/tempo sticky minion deck are the best every where, not just on ladder. Wondering how many of these players here can make it this high in standard next season. Should be interesting to watch. All these pro players trying to target these got eliminated. If we get a control meta and actual decision making again HS can be fun to watch.

Mulgrok

just won a game in HCT.

Turns out full rush/tempo sticky minion deck are the best every where, not just on ladder. Wondering how many of these players here can make it this high in standard next season. Should be interesting to watch.

I have been testing some aggro decks without gvg/naxx stuff and they do great when opponents don't play any gvg or naxx stuff, but fail with they do.

You guys can count me as one of the surprised ones if they change Knife Juggler at all. With the removal of Imp-losion and Muster for Battle, along with other minions like Creeper and Shredder, what other insane combos are left? The only thing is Unleash the Hounds but you're looking at a 5 Mana, two card combination that only does well against a board you're already losing to, which also gets cleared by next to all board clears. Sure it sucks to lose against aggressive decks but they should still exsist and they need good cards too.

That all being said, we still have no clue as to where they're taking the game and how they want it to be played with Standard. So for all I know games will be super slowed down and last at least 8+ turns every game or something.

There is also Snake Trap + Juggler. I've been using that a lot with my mid-range deck but it's pretty hard to pull off and I'm usually behind when it does happen.

Zemm

who are these players in this tournament?

I think it's been the dullest tournament I've seen, same classes playing the same decks. Fuck, Paladin is such a boring class to watch play, it's no more fun than watching freeze mage or control warrior.

Tacitus_

I think it's been the dullest tournament I've seen, same classes playing the same decks. Fuck, Paladin is such a boring class to watch play, it's no more fun than watching freeze mage or control warrior.

Ladder heroes.

Who took out the "pro" players yesterday.

Knife Juggler winning a match all by itself on the stream.

They've not been great to watch, I must say.

There is also Snake Trap + Juggler. I've been using that a lot with my mid-range deck but it's pretty hard to pull off and I'm usually behind when it does happen.
I love Juggler with Nobel Sacrifice or Snake Trap when it kills the attacking minion. I remember when I pulled that off for the first time and it blew my mind.

Haunted

That's why I like Challengestone and other tournaments with special rules and restrictions.

Competitive Hearthstone isn't in a great place in this meta, and most of the players have the personality of a wet blanket.

Apathy

Will with every paladin except that one egg one, being secret, we already know every play he's going to make so it makes no thought fun. Yesterday there was a paladin that he basically curved perfectly and win cause of MC on 6. He was on auto pilot mode

Mulgrok

why does my mad bomber kill my only minion instead of any of my opponent's 6 1/1's, twice in a row.

EDIT: not a single enemy minion getting hit... fml

Zemm

Will with every paladin except that one egg one, being secret, we already know every play he's going to make so it makes no thought fun. Yesterday there was a paladin that he basically curved perfectly and win cause of MC on 6. He was on auto pilot mode

Pretty much yeah.

I was watching Zalae stream and he said Archon are hosting a standard tournament in a couple of weeks, either they know when the update will be released or it'll be the most ridiculous tournament ever with them banning any non standard cards but still playing without the new cards and nerfs.

Dahbomb

Pretty much yeah.

I was watching Zalae stream and he said Archon are hosting a standard tournament in a couple of weeks, either they know when the update will be released or it'll be the most ridiculous tournament ever with them banning any non standard cards but still playing without the new cards and nerfs.
Sounds silly unless Standard format is released by then with the nerfs. It's going to be Druid city if they do a Standard tournament as is without the classic card nerfs.

Sande

Damn, Mad Bomber just made up for the ridiculous bullshit yesterday. This mage had his Mad Bomber duplicated and he played both of them when I had a 3/2 (also Mad Bomber) on the board. The first Bomber hit his face 3 times and the second one killed the first one and hit him in the face. That's probably the luckiest I've ever been in Hearthstone.

Apathy

Entombed really does demorolize the opponent. Faced a secret paladin that had an avenge hit his MC and he taunts me. I proceed to death it. He says well player and drops tirion so I entombed it, he then threatens, my next turn I chromaggus. He can't deal with it, and my next draw is tirion so it gets copied and I proceed to drop one. He uses equality to kill it so then I just drop the second one and as I an going to swing ashbringer he just quits.

People also just quit when I've entombed their Dr boom.

Sande

1hp Reno against an obnoxious face deck is the best thing in this game. And some of you complain about him.

The things is that Reno doesn't win you the game, he just stops the game from ending before it even begins. And if the other guy is already out of steam at that point... well that's his fault.

1hp Reno against an obnoxious face deck is the best thing in this game. And some of you complain about him.

The things is that Reno doesn't win you the game, he just stops the game from ending before it even begins. And if the other guy is already out of steam at that point... well that's his fault.

So matches don't start til turn 6-7?

Sande

So matches don't start til turn 6-7?
Well they sure as shit shouldn't end by then.

It's a figure of speech, obviously not supposed to be taken literally.

play against a priest using reno and you will eat those words
Not really. It's not a win condition and it doesn't do anything to my win condition. I don't think I've even seen a priest run Reno. They're too busy having two entombs and whatnot these days.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

play against a priest using reno and you will eat those words

also I finally got my first 12 win run in arena today! Deck was pretty good, two concecrates, three truesilvers, 2 musters, and a rag to top it all off lol. I only lost one match, though I did have a close game with a rogue that I almost lost.

Apathy

Just watch an amaz arena run. He played a curse of rafaam. Thing went on to do 16 damage to his opponent before he played it. Do some people just not know you can play to get rid of it?

Dahbomb

Just watch an amaz arena run. He played a curse of rafaam. Thing went on to do 16 damage to his opponent before he played it. Do some people just not know you can play to get rid of it?
The opponent is playing correctly.

It's better to just take the damage and capitalize on the tempo loss that the Warlock player went though to play that card. The health doesn't matter much when you are winning by a wide margin. 8 turns before getting rid of the card is a bit much, I would have to see the actual match to see if those plays were correct.

Eddie Bax

I don't understand people who emote constantly in this tavern brawl like they've done something skillful when all they did was pick some cards.

Ridli

Huh. Why not have a minion with a death rattle give you opponent a curse? You could even open up the counter play where you opponent could proactively pop the curse and spend the mana on their turn to avoid the damage. Might be more playable, depending on the body.

Huh. Why not have a minion with a death rattle give you opponent a curse? You could even open up the counter play where you opponent could proactively pop the curse and spend the mana on their turn to avoid the damage. Might be more playable, depending on the body.
So like a Super Leper Gnome?

Sande

Literal or not, it is still absurd. Aggro is a perfectly valid option for a card game like HS.
To me a meta where 100% all face aggro is properly viable is a broken one. Hearthstone was a mess a while back with the dominance of face hunter. Right now full-on aggro is pretty much the gimmick it deserves to be. As a deck archetype it makes about as much sense as having nothing but taunt minions, but for some reason it remained far too competitive for far too long.

Top Bottom