• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT5| Corrupted Deeprock Salt

Raxus

With so many cards leaving what cards do you guys want to see next set.

As a Priest player I desperately need a 3 drop now.

I think I just played the worst Mage ever. Rank 13, and he does NOTHING for the first 4 turns but Fireblast minions (I'm Zoolock). Turn 5, he uses (coins) Blizzard while I have two Nerubian Eggs, a Haunted Creeper, and an Argent Knight on the board, so it doesn't really do a lot. Turn 6, he uses Frost Nova and Doomsayer. I silence it with an owl. Turn 7, he gives up.

My secondary goal when starting this game was to make a Dreadsteed deck. Baron and Kel are leaving, so I would like some reasonable way to abuse the Dreadsteed in a deck and make it a powerful force in Standard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Another month, another rank 5. This game's horrible, but you know what's actually worse? The reward I'll get at the start of the next month.

As someone who loves Shaman and despises what it's become, the biggest things I'd like to see are a 1 or 2 mana class dragon and a good/great late game legendary. Also wouldn't mind it if Shaman got a decent weapon as well. It doesn't have to be War Axe/Death's Bite level but just something better than what the class has currently.

There will almost assuredly be a new totem too but it can't be too powerful taking Tuskarr Totemic into account. Maybe something similar to Demolisher with a little better mana cost and/or stat line or just something to help with board control in general.

As for spells, I don't think Shaman is in dire need of anything specific, so I'd like to see something with a cool effect, maybe in a somewhat similar vein as Ancestral Spirit and Reincarnate.

Apathy

The awesome synergy that shrinkmeister + cabal had, at least from a fun deck pov, is going to hurt. Wish Cabal's MC weren't for only a 2 or less attack minion :(

Light Bomb leaving also severely hurts aoe removal. It was so good and had enough of a drawback that it could hit your own minions.

manhack

I feel like every deck needs Dr. Boom, owl and Big Game Hunter.

Totally destroyed a tempo mage who was taking over board with owl on his sylvannas, BGH his Dr. Boom, while playing my own Dr. Boom and Sapping his Ragnaros. This is even after his Ragnaros hit my Dr. Boom.

bjaelke

Deathrattle minions (and a buff akin to Velen's Chosen) so Museum Curator stays viable. Class desperately need some help so we're not forced to play the second tier Dragon deck.

Tarazet

My secondary goal when starting this game was to make a Dreadsteed deck. Baron and Kel are leaving, so I would like some reasonable way to abuse the Dreadsteed in a deck and make it a powerful force in Standard.

Well, let's see..

- Sac Pact it to heal
- Mortal Coil it to draw a card in a pinch
- Buff cards are the main thing, since it's a guaranteed body every turn, unless it gets silenced
- Synergy with Void Crusher?
- Flesheating Ghoul
- Cult Master

I think those are basically your options.

manhack

As far as I can tell the meta is (in this order):

Zoo
Tempo mage
Druid
Reno Lock
Secret Paladin
Priest
Control Warrior
Patron Warrior

Anything else is an anomaly. I missed secret paladin in my first post...haven't seen as many of those as some people.

Zoo
Tempo mage
Druid
Reno Lock
Secret Paladin
Priest
Control Warrior
Patron Warrior

Anything else is an anomaly. I missed secret paladin in my first post...haven't seen as many of those as some people.

Face Shaman might just sneak into that list...

Dragner

I didnt watch the NA one. After the european left the taste that any random with lucky draws can make it to the big stage I refused to watch this...from what I heard was basically the same thing again. At least Fibonacci made it. Warrior god deserves respect.

What is the thought process behind a deck that only has one or two 1-mana cards? Maybe, for example, Chow is the only 1-mana drop. I always feel like I need 6-8 one mana drops to help ensure I have something to play on turn one. Otherwise, I might as well not bother with one mana drops unless they synergize extremely well with the deck, since I will most likely get them when they are no longer useful.

Well, let's see..

- Sac Pact it to heal
- Mortal Coil it to draw a card in a pinch
- Buff cards are the main thing, since it's a guaranteed body every turn, unless it gets silenced
- Synergy with Void Crusher?
- Flesheating Ghoul
- Cult Master

I think those are basically your options.
The problem with Void Crusher, as I understand from the wiki, is that he can sacrifice himself. That's pretty lame.

Anyway, I mean a way to multiply your Dreadsteed. I am aware of many cards that benefit from the steed as it is.

Zoo
Tempo mage
Druid
Reno Lock
Secret Paladin
Priest
Control Warrior
Patron Warrior

You think Zoo is more common than Secret Paladin? I fought 4 freeze mages followed by 2 secret paladins in a row last night.

Tacitus_

What is the thought process behind a deck that only has one or two 1-mana cards? Maybe, for example, Chow is the only 1-mana drop. I always feel like I need 6-8 one mana drops to help ensure I have something to play on turn one. Otherwise, I might as well not bother with one mana drops unless they synergize extremely well with the deck, since I will most likely get them when they are no longer useful.

Because they're 2 or 3 mana drops in disguise. And what are you running 6+ 1drops in that's not a face shaman?

Owzers

Watch and learn pack, 40 dust.
Caved and bought a pack from my expansion savings gold, golden brawl.

Must resist buying 13 packs.

Apathy

100% fair. controlled a mage perfectly, had every answer to 2 doomsayers, and everything a freeze mage could do, I was at 30 health, 3 minions one of which was a taunt he couldn't get through, I get it to 2 health and I get an alex used on me and burned down because of spells. Fuck this game. That is beyond bullshit.

Owzers

100% fair. controlled a mage perfectly, had every answer to 2 doomsayers, and everything a freeze mage could do, I was at 30 health, 3 minions one of which was a taunt he couldn't get through, I get it to 2 health and I get an alex used on me and burned down because of spells. Fuck this game. That is beyond bullshit.

Freeze mage must be stopped. My worst game today was a Zoo coining out two spiders and then a knife juggler turn 3 to my two minibots....i knew it was coming, i could have killed one spider with a minibot to save two juggles but i was already doomed so i didn't bother.

Apathy

Freeze mage must be stopped. My worst game today was a Zoo coining out two spiders and then a knife juggler turn 3 to my two minibots....i knew it was coming, i could have killed one spider with a minibot to save two juggles but i was already doomed so i didn't bother.

Whats worse is that I even healed for 4 after alex was dropped with a holy nova and priest hero power. Alex didn't even get to hit me or get through my minions because I had a frost nova that I mind visioned. It went Alex > Heal for 4 > killed from 19 with spells. Fireball, Roaring torch, frostbolt, icelance. How have some of you that have been playing this game for so long not just said fuck it and left with bullshit like that.

Whats worse is that I even healed for 4 after alex was dropped with a holy nova and priest hero power. Alex didn't even get to hit me or get through my minions because I had a frost nova that I mind visioned. It went Alex > Heal for 4 > killed from 19 with spells. Fireball, Roaring torch, frostbolt, icelance. How have some of you that have been playing this game for so long not just said fuck it and left with bullshit like that.
Sounds like an usual control priest vs combo deck match outcome.

This is super obvious but, you have to pressure the mage so she uses those cards on your minions instead of your face. In hearthstone, you can't win without adapting your game plan to suit your opponent
, unless you're face hunter.

Because they're 2 or 3 mana drops in disguise. And what are you running 6+ 1drops in that's not a face shaman?
Zoo.

Derp, and zoo is my most played deck too. But you really don't want to drop abusive on t1 and I think 4 other 1 drops is more than enough for zoo (VW, FI, AS, ymmv).
Well, I run a modified Zoo that goes for more face damage. Argent, Leper Gnomes, and Void Caller. So I run 2 Leper Gnomes, 2 Abusive Sergeants, 2 Voidwalkers, and 2 Power Overwhelmings.

Dahbomb

One drops are generally bad value hence they don't fit well in control decks. However, 1 drops are more efficient minions for their cost which means more damage per mana cost.

The one drops that get run have utility that help a control deck. Priest runs Cleric as its draw engine for example. Other decks use Zombie to stop early aggression but if they could get a 2 drop that did the same thing or better they would use that. Warriors don't run a 1 drop for example because War Axe and Armorsmith stops early game aggression for them. Priest runs Chow because they can buff/heal it and also combo with Auchenai, it makes sense for them to run even two of them.

Before the days of Chow control decks didn't even run 1 drops. Handlocks, Warriors and Druids usually didn't play minions until turn 4. That's why there was the old expression that the game didn't start until Yeti gets played. That's because 1 drops and 3 drops sucked, most of the 2 drops in control decks were situational cards like Sunfury/Ancient Watcher/Doomsayer etc. Back in the day people just played a draw minion like Pagle or Novice Engineer.

manhack

You think Zoo is more common than Secret Paladin? I fought 4 freeze mages followed by 2 secret paladins in a row last night.

aXASU0H.png

Decided to check my Hearthstats for this month and turns out Mage is the most seen class (always is for me), followed by Warlock and Paladin.

I don't have the deck types, but it felt like a lot of zoo and Reno locks. Mages were mostly tempo mage, but freeze and reno mage mixed in. Paladins were mostly secret, but a few Anyfin murloc decks. and you can see why my rogue deck hates druids. Every loss was due to combo, because it most cases I always had a board against druid or cleared their board with mine to "play around" combo.

manhack

At some point you get used to you bad match ups and the win conditions of each meta deck. If I'm playing Priest I know that it is very unlikely for me to beat a freeze mage. The only Priest decks I have had good luck vs. Freeze Mage is a steal priest that I ran with Kezan mystic and I would typically steal their alex/iceblocks/antonidas and win. I also have had luck with a Reno Priest deck vs. Freeze Mage.

More aggressive decks have a fair match up vs. Freeze Mage if you run Loatheb and warrior is almost and auto-win unless you draw horribly and play badly.

I've been playing the game less and less over time, but the idea of standard had me intrigued and I want to finish my Golden Rogue portrait so I will have all classes gold.

I have no idea what I will do once I finish portraits.

Dragner

Im having worst season since I started Hearthstone. No matter what I play I cant pass rank 10. I've reached legend before playing control decks and make rank 5 first days of the season with no effort. But now nothing works. Opp always have perfect hands perfect answers. And the worst part is watching them missplay constantly and winning anyway. Thats what piss me the most.

aXASU0H.png

Decided to check my Hearthstats for this month and turns out Mage is the most seen class (always is for me), followed by Warlock and Paladin.

I don't have the deck types, but it felt like a lot of zoo and Reno locks. Mages were mostly tempo mage, but freeze and reno mage mixed in. Paladins were mostly secret, but a few Anyfin murloc decks. and you can see why my rogue deck hates druids. Every loss was due to combo, because it most cases I always had a board against druid or cleared their board with mine to "play around" combo.
I played an Anyfin Paladin...extremely grateful to the RNGoddess that he didn't pull Anyfin Can Happen at any point. I would have been toast.

Where did you get those stats? I'd love to see mine.

Im having worst season since I started Hearthstone. No matter what I play I cant pass rank 10. I've reached legend before playing control decks and make rank 5 first days of the season with no effort. But now nothing works. Opp always have perfect hands perfect answers. And the worst part is watching them missplay constantly and winning anyway. Thats what piss me the most.
The meta has matured, and people know what's effective.

manhack

I played an Anyfin Paladin...extremely grateful to the RNGoddess that he didn't pull Anyfin Can Happen at any point. I would have been toast.

Where did you get those stats? I'd love to see mine.

The meta has matured, and people know what's effective.

I use hearthstone deck tracker combined with a Hearthstats account.

Dragner

No mate Im saying you that im losing against secret paladins with mad scientist and things like that. Unrefined lists. Bad secuencing. Etc... and anyway they win because they can vomit theire hand and win, their cards match perfectly against mine. In fact if they played correctly I would be rank 12 or lower because my only wins come for opp missplaying a game that should have won.

manhack

That is how I feel grinding out 500 wins with Rogue right now. Gonna switch to some more refined decks for the push to rank 5, but it really is slow going.

Fireblend

Banned
Would I have a better time grinding to rank 10 with a Patron Warrior than with a Tempo Mage this month? Or would you guys say I'm screwed either way? Might as well stay at 14...

Ladekabel

Would I have a better time grinding to rank 10 with a Patron Warrior than with a Tempo Mage this month? Or would you guys say I'm screwed either way? Might as well stay at 14...

If you have more fun playing Patron Warrior than playing Tempo Mage than play Patron Warrior. If it is the opposit case than play Tempo Mage.

In my experience in the last few days both seem to be viable to get to rank 10 even if I haven't made it yet.

Pooya

Zoo looks like to be best positioned right now if you want to climb fast in one week left. It's only really bad against freeze mage and overall it's the most consistent. You can get unplayable hands as druid, paladin can never draw mysterious challenger (yup, it only happens when you play it of course), freeze mage can beat itself and patron just folds to every control deck. Tempo mage is only good against druid and not particularly good against anything else. Control decks just lose to druid.

Zoo is the deck right now, even in tournament scene. Druid is overall the strongest but it's being targeted right now with more patron players around, this was my experience today.

Levi

Banned

Some solid, synergistic cards for Druid to replace all the nerfs they're likely getting hit with. Will beast druid or spellpower druid finally be a thing? Let's hope.

Dahbomb

Patron decks target more towards Paladin and Zoo though.

Patron deck would be a phenomenal meta deck choice if only Blizzard's match making didn't always pick your exact counter decks. Use Freeze Mage get all Druids and Hunters, the move to Patron and get Control Warriors, Control Priest and Renolock.

That's why you should just play the best deck with the least bad match ups or at least a match up that takes skill to play so that you can farm the bad meta deckers.

Tempo Mage is the type of deck that works on Ladder really for that reason. It doesn't have any awful match ups and when it gets the nuts it can win against anything. It can lose to itself but so can Druid and Oil Rogue really.

Tacitus_

Yup. I beat a reno warlock and a control priest doing my 3 wins quest today. Reno got all his heals off but renoing from 10 to 30 doesn't really help if you go to 15 on the next turn (CS did work canceling hellfire). And the priest I actually managed to outvalue somehow. Double deathlords were scary at first but at around turn 7 I had the board uncontested and I had 4 cards in hand to his 2.

So I'm participating in my first tournament Friday night (in person). Been playing since beta, but I'm nervous! Any tips or pointers? Tournament rules below:

Single elimination, best of 5, conquest style.
Bring 4 decks in different classes. Before the round begins, announce your classes to your opponent, and each player gets to ban their opponent from using one class.
If you win with a class, you may not reuse that class. If you lose with a class, you may reuse that class, or switch to a class with which you have not yet won.
You must delete all decks from your decklist not being used for the tournament.

Top Bottom